Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I will say this after watching the first season of Tom Baker. His Doctor is super enjoyable to just watch. I can see why he's the favorite Doctor of a lot of people.

T. Baker's performance is so defining that it became the reference people used. I see a lot of Troughton in it, but with more self-confidence than any person should have which made Baker great to watch.

I don't think he's the best Doctor performance ever, in my opinion both Smith and Capaldi do more with the role, but in the old series he was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Random Stranger posted:

T. Baker's performance is so defining that it became the reference people used. I see a lot of Troughton in it, but with more self-confidence than any person should have which made Baker great to watch.

I don't think he's the best Doctor performance ever, in my opinion both Smith and Capaldi do more with the role, but in the old series he was the best.

He has a physicality to his performance that you don't see in later presentations. Like just the way he stands or sits or moves. He's a very physical actor. Like I'm watching Planet of Evil right now.

He's very gangly is the best word to describe him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Matt Smith could be that at times, although I don't think he did it quite as much as Baker did. He also distinctly... gangled.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 16, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hollismason posted:

He has a physicality to his performance that you don't see in later presentations. Like just the way he stands or sits or moves. He's a very physical actor. Like I'm watching Planet of Evil right now.

This is McCoy erasure

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MikeJF posted:

Matt Smith could be that at times, although I don't think he did it quite as much as Baker did. He also distinctly... gangled.

"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your arms about?"

"Yes" *flails arms* "No."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Matt Smith definitely does one of the best jobs at conveying all of the different aspects of the Doctor and it's particularly impressive that he does it so young. That scene where Peter Capaldi does a weird combination of like four previous Doctors in 10 seconds of movement is probably more impressive, but he's had a whole career and a lifetime of watching the show to hone it.

To hone in on what makes Tom Baker so enjoyable to watch, I think he is particularly good at portraying the Doctor as a benevolent but unsettling alien. Some of it is probably just that he was drunk, but he always looks vaguely distracted by thoughts we could never hope to understand, his grin is both welcoming and vaguely unsettling, his jokes are all delivered like they're just for him, because nobody else will get them, etc. The only time he gets self-conscious and human is when Romana I shows up, probably because he just had a genuine unrequited crush on her, lol.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Bicyclops posted:

Matt Smith definitely does one of the best jobs at conveying all of the different aspects of the Doctor and it's particularly impressive that he does it so young. That scene where Peter Capaldi does a weird combination of like four previous Doctors in 10 seconds of movement is probably more impressive, but he's had a whole career and a lifetime of watching the show to hone it.

To hone in on what makes Tom Baker so enjoyable to watch, I think he is particularly good at portraying the Doctor as a benevolent but unsettling alien. Some of it is probably just that he was drunk, but he always looks vaguely distracted by thoughts we could never hope to understand, his grin is both welcoming and vaguely unsettling, his jokes are all delivered like they're just for him, because nobody else will get them, etc. The only time he gets self-conscious and human is when Romana I shows up, probably because he just had a genuine unrequited crush on her, lol.

I'd say once she regenerated into Romana II, that crush didn't remain unrequited for very long :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'd say once she regenerated into Romana II, that crush didn't remain unrequited for very long :v:

lol yeah, but the dynamic also changes then, both in terms of the performance and writing. He's back to the inscrutable space wizard and she's suddenly his pupil, from what I remember.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Bicyclops posted:

lol yeah, but the dynamic also changes then, both in terms of the performance and writing. He's back to the inscrutable space wizard and she's suddenly his pupil, from what I remember.

Not really; that was more the Romana I version, who was haughty and dismissive towards the Doctor, thinking that getting better grades at the Academy than he did meant that she could blow off the Doctor's more practical knowledge and wisdom about the ways of the universe. It's only towards the end of the Key to Time season that she starts to appreciate the Doctor might actually know what he's talking about at times.

We're not given a timeline as to how long Romana was traveling with the Doctor before she regenerated into Romana II, but by the time she does so, it's evident that their relationship is very much one of equals; she's nowhere near as haughty or dismissive of him, and they're relaxed enough around each other to make constant little jokes and quips that aren't just bickering or sniping.

Even if someone didn't know that Tom and Lalla dated and got married off-screen, they'd likely still guess that the Doctor and Romana II were a bit more than just buddies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm now on Pyramid of Mars. I guess I'll just watch Tom Baker Doctor Who for a while until I get bored and then switch around.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Hollismason posted:

I'm now on Pyramid of Mars. I guess I'll just watch Tom Baker Doctor Who for a while until I get bored and then switch around.

Good news, it'll take you quite a while to get bored of Tom :)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Even when the stories start to get bad there's still some gems in there

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Even when the stories start to get bad there's still some gems in there

Yeah, there's very few outright boring stories in Tom's run. Even the ones that are considered to be very bad, are often at least entertainingly bad, in the "so bad it's good" way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Even if someone didn't know that Tom and Lalla dated and got married off-screen, they'd likely still guess that the Doctor and Romana II were a bit more than just buddies.

Oh, for sure.

It's also one of the only times the Doctor/companion romance being implied is appropriate, because they're both immortal geniuses. They just come from different sides of the tracks and learn to appreciate each other's worldview. Lalla just has enough glee at being more like the Doctor that sometimes you can feel the 17 year old age difference and she comes across as a bit like she's learning more from him than he is from her.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Her choosing to regenerate was probably as much about picking a personality that could keep up with his manic energy as it was about vanity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

Tom Baker has mentioned that he absolutely approached the role as,"I'm an alien, there should be something "off" about me", which he very deliberately made a physical part of his performance. He'd make his facial/emotional reactions slightly off to a given situation, and do things like turn 270 degrees when he could have just made a simple left or right turn to get where he needed to go.

You definitely get the impression from him, or at least I did, that there is something "other" about him. Inhuman would be the wrong word, but he (the Doctor) doesn't act like a human would normally act, and it's mildly unsettling but also makes him utterly fascinating, you can't take your eyes off of him (which of course Tom Baker loved!).

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
He had also played Rasputin prior to landing the role, I'm sure that helped.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://twitter.com/WildBlueJacob/status/1747025306295148825

Technically not till August but my knees suddenly hurt

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Tom Baker has mentioned that he absolutely approached the role as,"I'm an alien, there should be something "off" about me", which he very deliberately made a physical part of his performance. He'd make his facial/emotional reactions slightly off to a given situation, and do things like turn 270 degrees when he could have just made a simple left or right turn to get where he needed to go.

You definitely get the impression from him, or at least I did, that there is something "other" about him. Inhuman would be the wrong word, but he (the Doctor) doesn't act like a human would normally act, and it's mildly unsettling but also makes him utterly fascinating, you can't take your eyes off of him (which of course Tom Baker loved!).

He admits to cultivating the mystique in his public image as well, which I actually kind of like.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

jisforjosh posted:

https://twitter.com/WildBlueJacob/status/1747025306295148825

Technically not till August but my knees suddenly hurt

Anybody want to guess, without looking, how many Big Finishes they've done since then? I'm gonna go with three box sets of four stories each, plus some celebratory special where they team up with *rolls dice* uh, Winston Churchill.

Jerusalem posted:

I think Tom Baker and Matt Smith both benefit a little from just looking loving weird, there is something that's a little off about both of them. Not in an off-putting way, just like they're an extra standard deviation off from what we imagine the average person to look like.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Matt Smith definitely had a bit of that vibe too, even if I felt he played it a bit closer to (a younger, taller) Patrick Troughton.

It's definitely an aspect of his chosen performance too, because I don't really get that vibe from him at all in other things I've seen him in like The Crown or House of the Dragon.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Rochallor posted:

Anybody want to guess, without looking, how many Big Finishes they've done since then? I'm gonna go with three box sets of four stories each, plus some celebratory special where they team up with *rolls dice* uh, Winston Churchill.

I think Tom Baker and Matt Smith both benefit a little from just looking loving weird, there is something that's a little off about both of them. Not in an off-putting way, just like they're an extra standard deviation off from what we imagine the average person to look like.

Yes, the two of them are the most "alien" looking of the Doctors without a doubt.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, both Tom and Smith have “He’s an alien.” “Oh yeah, I see it.” energy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Tom was once asked during an interview if he wished people would recognize him for his other acting work, like Educating Rita, instead of his work on Doctor Who. His response was something along the lines of "well no, because I don't really rate my acting. Whereas when I was playing the Doctor, I was just being Tom." So the Fourth Doctor's eccentric Bohemian nature wasn't Tom playing a role; it was Tom just being himself. When he says he is the Doctor, he means it quite literally.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I like in the Tom Baker Doctor Who with Sara Jane Smith character that a lot of times Sara Jane Smith saves the Doctor and not the other way around. Like yea he saves her a good bit in situations but a lot of times she saves him.

I'm now on The Brain of Morbius. Its got some serious gothic horror from the 70s vibes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just finished Day of the Doctor in my current rewatch. Gotta say, all of the eras' mystery boxes work better in binge watching than waiting week by week. I was disappointed that Night of the Doctor didn't play before the episode. I'd somehow mostly forgotten how the episode played out in the decade+ since it came out. Gotta say, Capaldi's cameo was pretty hype. Watching it so closely to Time's End really highlights the stark difference in tone between the two specials. Also, kinda funny how one of The Curator's predictions came true about reusing old faces.

Now I've got Time of the Doctor left of Smith's run. I'm anxious to watch it, I don't like endings.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I like in the Tom Baker Doctor Who with Sara Jane Smith character that a lot of times Sara Jane Smith saves the Doctor and not the other way around. Like yea he saves her a good bit in situations but a lot of times she saves him.

There's a reason that Sarah Jane was the only companion to have two spin-offs, one of them even lasted more than a single episode!

Shh... we might be able to trick Hollismason into watching K-9 and Company.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

There's a reason that Sarah Jane was the only companion to have two spin-offs, one of them even lasted more than a single episode!

Shh... we might be able to trick Hollismason into watching K-9 and Company.

Yeah I like her as a companion. I'm on the Brain of Morbius and its great that one of the villians is a literal brain in a jar. Its great!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Personally I could go another 10 years without seeing them again.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Anyone here give their big finish stories a go?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just finished Day of the Doctor in my current rewatch. Gotta say, all of the eras' mystery boxes work better in binge watching than waiting week by week. I was disappointed that Night of the Doctor didn't play before the episode. I'd somehow mostly forgotten how the episode played out in the decade+ since it came out. Gotta say, Capaldi's cameo was pretty hype. Watching it so closely to Time's End really highlights the stark difference in tone between the two specials. Also, kinda funny how one of The Curator's predictions came true about reusing old faces.

Now I've got Time of the Doctor left of Smith's run. I'm anxious to watch it, I don't like endings.

I found this as well while binging the Smith years, in particular the Silence become absolutely hilarious when you know their MO is "kill Doctor Who before he gets to Trenzalore and opens the crack that could end the universe". Their grand time travel plan results in them not only creating those cracks in the first place, but accidentally destroying the universe in the process which has to be fixed by the very man they want to kill.

And then it happens again in Series 6 where their meddling with the impossible astronaut and fixed points shatters time into little pieces, and once again the person they want to kill is the one who has to clean up their mistakes. Incredible.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of dumb plans.

I feel like 90% of the Master's plans are:

1. Team up with a group of aliens
2. Do something dumb that gets my space/time boyfriend/girlfriend to notice me
2. Oh whoops we don't have a real stage three those aliens have betrayed me help help
3. My space/time boyfriend/girlfriend saves me.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking of dumb plans.

2. Oh whoops we don't have a real stage three those aliens have betrayed me help help

It's working so far so why change perfection?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hollismason posted:

I'm now on The Brain of Morbius. Its got some serious gothic horror from the 70s vibes.

The Hinchliffe and Holmes era is the high mark of the classic series. Pyramids of Mars is brilliant.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The Hinchliffe and Holmes era is the high mark of the classic series. Pyramids of Mars is brilliant.

Sutekh and Scarman as his servant have two of the best voices in the entire show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I kinda hate to admit it but it's true. There are heaps of great stories all over the place, and the Cartmnem era and First Doctor era are both very impressive in their own ways but that two and a half series period is the peak of those peaks.

I reckon there were periods in the books and BF plays, mostly during the wilderness period, that are on god just as good as any other period

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hinchcliffe/Holmes really was just a fantastic run for the show.

Re: the Master, I never got tired of:

Master: No Doctor, you see this temporary alliance with these power-hungry aliens is just to deal with Earth's forces, then once that is done I plan to betray them because I won't need them anymore :smug:
Doctor: You know they're probably thinking of doing the same thing to you for the same reasons.
Master: ... :aaa:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“Nuh uh, not this time! It’ll be different!”
Narrator: “It wasn’t.”

I appreciate the 4 era’s remit of making every serial a vaguely kid-friendly horror movie. :allears:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking of dumb plans.

Series 8 finale is in some respects kind of silly but I do like the way Missy is like "Look, Doctor! I made an alien army which wouldn't turn on me for once! Do you want to play with them?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I like her as a companion. I'm on the Brain of Morbius and its great that one of the villians is a literal brain in a jar. Its great!

Not many people know this, but Morbius took an extra degree at Prydonian Academy in vegetable envying.