Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
That logo is all over Space sets now. It’s so rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cojawfee posted:

no where to store the jetpack for the minifig

really my only complaint about the set. It’s so good and the jetpack is really cool too. Even if they just put a couple studs over the canopy or something to have it ‘dock’ or whatever it’d be perfect. It’d mess up the beautiful lines if it wasn’t on there so I guess that’s the choice they had to make.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

deoju posted:

Be sure to get them properly oriented. It is a waste of time to rearrange the seating on the Titanic.

:golfclap:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
gently caress I've been out of the loop for too long on lego. Just found out about all the monkey king stuff and dammit it looks like I missed the boat on the Heavenly Realm (80039) set for good! At least I got the Monkey King Goes to Market polybag, been extending the scene with my bag of greeble bits.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Don't let your FOMO get into Lego, it's a losing battle. There's cool stuff out now, enjoy that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah buy the cool stuff that's around now. Otherwise you're going down a rabbit hole of discontinued sets.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
In my experience it’s a feeling you need to get used to too.

“I can’t afford it now but i’ll grab it soon”

*can afford it*

*set immediately goes out of stock forever*

you just learn to remember that something else cool is just around the corner

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
You could probably choose a white whale to keep an eye out for, but yeah, let it go for the most part.

And sometimes patience pays off. For ages I regretted not buying The Ghost (from Star Wars Rebels), but last year's re-release is better in nearly every way.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

BaconCopter posted:

Of all of the possible amazing things from Subnautica that could be built out of Lego the destroyed Aurora is easily one of the least interesting. Any of the leviathans would be an instant purchase. Any combination of the vehicles would be an instant buy. A combo of vehicle(s) and *any* creature and I'm going Full Price Jones on day 1. The most obvious choice to me would be a "miniscale" Cyclops with a prawn suit inside that can be ejected.

drat disappointing, not gonna lie.

Bring back aquanauts

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Turbinosamente posted:

gently caress I've been out of the loop for too long on lego. Just found out about all the monkey king stuff and dammit it looks like I missed the boat on the Heavenly Realm (80039) set for good! At least I got the Monkey King Goes to Market polybag, been extending the scene with my bag of greeble bits.

You could go the not-quite-lego Aliexpress option.

I’ve just ordered a few speed champions kits from Ali, cars I want that are no longer being sold - building that Porsche and Pagani recently has had me looking the entire collection and I kind of love them for the subject matter, fun builds, and price.

Has anyone ever done the “framed picture made of Lego” thing? I kind of like the look of them but I’m not sure if it’d be a very interesting build, just putting down small block after small block.

These things

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Those contain nothing of what makes LEGO interesting, IMO, leaving aside the fact that Darth Maul is the most underwhelming character in Star Wars—a series that by this point consists primarily of underwhelming characters and cash grabs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dpulex posted:

Bring back aquanauts

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Dpulex posted:

Bring back aquanauts

No don't, I don't have money nor space for it

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks for the reality check guys. I'll just have to mentally categorize the Heavenly Realm set with the old giant Taj Mahal set: which was too expensive for me both times it came up so I never bought it. I've had a lot of expenses lately anyways and shouldn't be buying anything much bigger than a polybag.

DRINK ME posted:

Has anyone ever done the “framed picture made of Lego” thing? I kind of like the look of them but I’m not sure if it’d be a very interesting build, just putting down small block after small block.

These things

I have not, but I have no interest in them since I do cross stitch. It depends how well you handle repetition, but I'd almost suggest looking into cross stitch, diamond dot art, or even perler beads for physical pixel art needs. Most of those mediums are capable of higher "resolution" too, and can look less blocky. Also there's a crapton more subjects to pick from. Making your own designs in any of these mediums, including lego, would be about the same too. I use photoshop, but there's a few dedicated pixel art programs out there like aesprite in addition to the old standbys like mspaint.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DRINK ME posted:

These things

I got the world map and the one intended for making your own designs. They're not particularly fun from a lego perspective, although there's a kind of zen to it where you can just zone out putting the pieces together while listening to a podcast or something. Repetitive but not fiddly.
The main thing is having a wall picture that you can take apart and turn into something else whenever you want. The only one I actually wanted for the picture was the world map, otherwise get one for the frame pieces and design your own. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, probably don't bother.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

GlenMR posted:

You could probably choose a white whale to keep an eye out for, but yeah, let it go for the most part.

And sometimes patience pays off. For ages I regretted not buying The Ghost (from Star Wars Rebels), but last year's re-release is better in nearly every way.

This is why I don't get upset if I miss something. They're so bad at releasing new versions of the same sets over and over, you'll eventually have a chance down the line.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dpulex posted:

Bring back aquanauts

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Holding out for an Ice Planet reboot. That, or Paradisa. They need not be mutually exclusive, when I think about it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dokapon Findom posted:

Holding out for an Ice Planet reboot. That, or Paradisa. They need not be mutually exclusive, when I think about it.

Ice Planet is just the surface of aquanauts

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Dokapon Findom posted:

I think there’s a CMF on deck that’s modern Ice Planet.

There have also been a couple Friends sets (I think a yacht and an airplane, IIRC) which really hit that Paradisa vibe.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm going to say get Heavenly Realm if you want it. It's as cheap now as it will ever be. You should still be able to find it close to retail.

Or maybe not. It retired two weeks ago and is already 2x on ebay. I'm guessing it was store exclusive or something because there really aren't many copies out there.

Well...it's not going to get cheaper. If it is something you really want it's not likely to drop in price.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...2iconly%22:0%7D

Okay, you can get it on BL for $175 plus tax and shipping. I'm guessing $250 all said and done. Maybe cheaper. So yeah, I say go for it ASAP.

I'd considered buying that set, myself. But ended up choosing not to because it looked like a $100 set to me so $190 was just a bit too much.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Speaking of buying retired sets….does anyone use brick link for that? How does it compare to eBay?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It can be better. See my post above where it is currently 1/2 ebay prices.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

HootTheOwl posted:

drat, a Europa Mission set? I'm in.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

drat, a Europa Mission set? I'm in.

Hop on the interstellar transport

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

HootTheOwl posted:

:hmmyes:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Dpulex posted:

Bring back aquanauts Galidor

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dpulex posted:

Bring back aquanauts

I am always waiting for this day.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Dokapon Findom posted:

I remember LOVING the ice planet stuff when it released. That was peak childhood for me. I REALLY hope they do one of those classic sets again, or at least a vehicle in with the same vibe.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How legit is buying something from Bicklink out of China?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tenebrais posted:

I got the world map and the one intended for making your own designs. They're not particularly fun from a lego perspective, although there's a kind of zen to it where you can just zone out putting the pieces together while listening to a podcast or something. Repetitive but not fiddly.
The main thing is having a wall picture that you can take apart and turn into something else whenever you want. The only one I actually wanted for the picture was the world map, otherwise get one for the frame pieces and design your own. If that doesn't sound appealing to you, probably don't bother.

Oooohhh, the map is a really neat idea! Instead of using push pins on a paper map to mark where you've been, 1x1 studs or something would be really neat! Could also do hollow center studs and push in a little rod piece to emulate a pin for 3d effect

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I remember LOVING the ice planet stuff when it released. That was peak childhood for me. I REALLY hope they do one of those classic sets again, or at least a vehicle in with the same vibe.

I'm right there with you on transparent orange... that little chainsaw piece was the coolest thing.

For me, Rock Raiders or Johnny Thunder were my pinnacle childhood themes

obi_ant posted:

I have nothing concrete to base this on, but I personally avoid bricklink out of China. While I don't really see bootlego bricks with a logo on them, I'd just rather stick with North America or EU countries for bricklink.

That being said, I'll buy bootleg bricks from yourwobb any day of the week, but I know exactly what I'm getting and paying for there.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 16, 2024

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

obi_ant posted:

*Goes to bicklink.com* Seems legit

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

obi_ant posted:

It's fine. It's bricklink, not aliexpress. BL is way too seller friendly, but they aren't going to put up with scammers. If someone in China says they have something, they do.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've decided to stop buying new lego and build out what I can from my childhood. Starting with what I recall as my absolute favorite set. My first expert builder set as well. 857 Motor Bike.

I did not remember that the expert builder instructions had the part quantity for each step spelled out. None of the basic sets do.

This is a common problem with old lego, the split where the axle inserts. Fortunately it's only a problem if you play hard with them.

Old school SNOT. Did you all know that these lattice pieces are designed to snap on to studs? I forgot but now I remember! Also yeah yeah I didn't wash them I'm both too lazy and excited.

Frame coming along.

I loved the chain from the first time I snapped it on. Sorry my lighting sucks and it's hard to see.

Disappointed in how many pieces I've lost, I decided to substitute gray and white for some elements as if they were bondo and primer on this old beater bike. Also lost the turn signals. But here we are. I spent dozens of hours playing with this, built it multiple times over my childhood, as well as the alternate plans in the book.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I broke so many drat Technic universal joints :(

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I just built my little City Space Lunar Rover. It was a nice little build, none of the repetition of e.g. botanicals or the fiddliness of some of the Technic sets which is what I've been doing lately. It was quick but I enjoyed it a lot.

I put it together specifically to display in front of my Tales of the Space Age set:

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

Side note, it's the first display that I've connected with a USB extension to this independently switched USB hub for the lighting and I'm super excited to get more on this so I can have all my glowy flashies work solo when I'm showing them to people.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

LloydDobler posted:

I've decided to stop buying new lego and build out what I can from my childhood. Starting with what I recall as my absolute favorite set. My first expert builder set as well. 857 Motor Bike.

Oh wow, those photos solve a mystery I've had for more than 25 years - as a child we bought a bag of second hand parts, including those giant wheels, and I always wondered why there was only three of them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new Ideas set just doesn’t do anything for me. The phone holder bit is weird.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/red-london-telephone-box-21347

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That's better than I expected but still something I have no desire to own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

smackfu posted:

The new Ideas set just doesn’t do anything for me. The phone holder bit is weird.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/red-london-telephone-box-21347

The original submission used printed pieces for the doors, so that the grid on them was a universal thickness all around. Of course using the window pieces is a perfectly reasonable alternative, but it also throws off the iconic looks by having the horizontal bars thicker so it looses a lot of the iconic look.