Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’m kind of amazed that a patreon, merch sales and sponsorship can support that sort of operation with the number of employees but good for him for making it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Cyrano4747 posted:

At a certain point I think Steve is just a gear nut and he likes having the cool tools. Which is fine, he's got a job where he can afford them and even have a theoretical use for them.

In the review of the Billet Labs block he showcased their latest thing. It's a laser scanner so they can tell how smooth, or not, a surface is. He mentioned about how much Patreon and t-shirt sales helped to buy the thing. So the job itself might not be the full source.

At one point Linus mentioned that merchandise sales made more money than they made from Youtube. Think that was end of 2022.

Gamers Nexus has caught and called out some very legit things, exploding PSU, the Asus bios fiasco, Newegg. Maybe a laser scanner to tell within 0.05 microns if a coldplate/heatsink is smooth or not will help, but feels more like a "we can, so we did" more than anything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
“I can state with 99.6% accuracy that deez nuts are as smooth as eggs”

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If you consider the videos as marketing for the merch, then a very shareable "CHECK OUT NEW TOY" video makes a lot of sense

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

Gamers Nexus have just released their review of the production/release version of the Billet Labs monoblock (you know, the one Linus auctioned off).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1nDf0GYZU

I like the concept, and I wish something like this could be applied to current gen consoles as a way to solve their cooling issues from the poo poo console body design along with heat exhaust ports.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jiro posted:

I like the concept, and I wish something like this could be applied to current gen consoles as a way to solve their cooling issues from the poo poo console body design along with heat exhaust ports.

edvard könig waterblock company has the product for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DbQc2hsBsk&t=284s

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 16, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jiro posted:

Even the series X? I thought that had some really excellent cooling design from the “stack” design to the whole Vapor chamber thing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

priznat posted:

Even the series X? I thought that had some really excellent cooling design from the “stack” design to the whole Vapor chamber thing.

It is decent but it's just ultimately fan noise that gets to me. Plus why would you want an Xbox if you already have a PC? That would theoretically have a better cooling solution than an X-Box.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jiro posted:

It is decent but it's just ultimately fan noise that gets to me. Plus why would you want an Xbox if you already have a PC? That would theoretically have a better cooling solution than an X-Box.

Plenty of reasons lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

this is absolutely a "me" problem but I do a lot of gaming on the console lately because the PC is where "work" is, or is mentally associated with, and stepping away from it helps segregate the activities in my brain

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is absolutely a "me" problem but I do a lot of gaming on the console lately because the PC is where "work" is, or is mentally associated with, and stepping away from it helps segregate the activities in my brain

Yep, absolute same. I think a bunch of people realised this during covid where they used to go home and sit at the PC and play games after work and suddenly the seat they'd been at for 8 hours already was both their office and main leisure space as well. It's just easier for me to focus when it's a device specifically for games as well, on the PC it's too easy for me to alt-tab out and get distracted and forget the game's running compared to consoles where I still end up losing track of time.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

At a certain point I think Steve is just a gear nut and he likes having the cool tools. Which is fine, he's got a job where he can afford them and even have a theoretical use for them.

Off-topic but I respect that you're such a stickler for the rules that you probated yourself.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Randalor posted:

I'm at least going to assume Steve at least reads the manual for his testing equipment, LTT's videos whenever Linus showed some hyper-specific piece of testing equipment were always "And we got this really expensive tester! Luke, we have someone who knows how to use this, rig... why are you shaking your head? Eh, it's fine, we'll figure it out!"
This poo poo falls under the category of weaponized incompetence.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a L-shaped desk with two monitors on one side connected to my T480s running FreeBSD which I use as my daily driver, and two other monitors connected to my workstation - one on a separate part of the table.
When I'm not gaming, I'm using a whole different setup that takes up a lot less power (~2.5W for the CPU at idle, according to powermon).

Best way to make it work, I found, was to have a mouse with wireless induction charging - so when I move from one to the other, I just move over the keyboard and mouse, and click the button-remote for the peripheral switch to move it to the appropriate computer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Former Human posted:

Off-topic but I respect that you're such a stickler for the rules that you probated yourself.

Lol, it wasn't much of a probate, I hit myself right before I was going to go to bed anyways.

But yeah, live by the probate button, die by the probate button.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was like a million pages behind and I saw the Steam creation date discussion and wanted to share mine.

Mine was 100% for CS 1.6

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This poo poo falls under the category of weaponized incompetence.

I mean, we are talking about the same company/group/whateverthefuckLTT is that was not only given a product to review, but the specific graphics card it was designed for, and then not only proceeded to test it on the wrong graphics card, but an entirely different line of graphics card, and then say that the product is poo poo, no they aren't willing to put it through its honest paces.

I mean, its a niche product that compares decently well to others on the market and doesn't change the paradigm, but still paints all their reviews in a negative light after that.

Edit: Changed the last statement, I just had the video on as background noise yesterday and misread the charts when I gave them a quick glance.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 16, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Randalor posted:

I mean, we are talking about the same company/group/whateverthefuckLTT is that was not only given a product to review, but the specific graphics card it was designed for, and then not only proceeded to test it on the wrong graphics card, but an entirely different line of graphics card, and then say that the product is poo poo, no they aren't willing to put it through its honest paces.

I mean, its a niche product that compares decently well to others on the market and doesn't change the paradigm, but still paints all their reviews in a negative light after that.

Edit: Changed the last statement, I just had the video on as background noise yesterday and misread the charts when I gave them a quick glance.

Look, the 3090 is old news and the 4090 is out now. No one will watch our video if we use some old busted piece of poo poo RTX 3090 that can barely play games anymore!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I really only use consoles when it's games that can really only be played on console, Switch, PS4/5 if you don't want to wait a year to play something. It's nice to sit on the couch and play something on an 80in TV with good sound. I just hate the exhaust whine of the Playstation, Switch barely has any moving parts inside it, so there's no complaints there. Plus pretty much all my multiplayer game time is done on PC, PUBG, Hunt, Apex. Everything else outside of that is played through GamePass and it's super convenient. I have a work laptop, and a personal setup. Once work is done I just put the laptop away and hit a different video input to be on my personal machine, it also helps my office is pretty comfortable and I sit all day on a Fern.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jiro posted:

Games are a relaxing thing for a lot of people and it's nice to just know that (buggy games and 30fps/60fps menu choices notwithstanding) you can just load up a game and it'll work on the console and look how the developers intend it to look.

Like because I have a PC with a 3070 in it I can't justify this round of consoles, and it lives under the TV as an ersatz console now, but I do get sucked into obsessing over graphics settings and wondering if I've got everything optimised in the best way between looking as nice as possible and playing as smoothly as possible. It (by which I mean I) kind of ruined Cyberpunk for me until I just gave up on raytracing so that I could crank all the other settings up and play the game nice and smoothly.

It's good to just let go of that poo poo with a console and play the game as-is without second guessing.

I mean there's lots of other things that can be less than smooth, debugging, weird Windows stuff (my xbox game bar on PC hasn't worked in a long time and I don't know why), installs and updates misbehaving. You solve so much of that with a closed system of a console.

It's also still not as elegant as it should be to just use as a gaming device. I need to dig out a mouse and keyboard to log on, mouse over to the game launchers - I can't just do it all with a controller.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

Games are a relaxing thing for a lot of people and it's nice to just know that (buggy games and 30fps/60fps menu choices notwithstanding) you can just load up a game and it'll work on the console and look how the developers intend it to look.

Like because I have a PC with a 3070 in it I can't justify this round of consoles, and it lives under the TV as an ersatz console now, but I do get sucked into obsessing over graphics settings and wondering if I've got everything optimised in the best way between looking as nice as possible and playing as smoothly as possible. It (by which I mean I) kind of ruined Cyberpunk for me until I just gave up on raytracing so that I could crank all the other settings up and play the game nice and smoothly.

It's good to just let go of that poo poo with a console and play the game as-is without second guessing.

I mean there's lots of other things that can be less than smooth, debugging, weird Windows stuff (my xbox game bar on PC hasn't worked in a long time and I don't know why), installs and updates misbehaving. You solve so much of that with a closed system of a console.

It's also still not as elegant as it should be to just use as a gaming device. I need to dig out a mouse and keyboard to log on, mouse over to the game launchers - I can't just do it all with a controller.

DS4Windows lets you use a dualshock controller with the touchpad on it as a really sensitive mousepad and left click, it can't do right clicking unfortunately.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Jiro posted:

DS4Windows lets you use a dualshock controller with the touchpad on it as a really sensitive mousepad and left click, it can't do right clicking unfortunately.

On my Steam Deck, the Steam controller config sees the left and right halves of the DS4 trackpad as two separate touchpads. For some games I've got right as mouse and click for left-click, and left as scroll wheel and click for screenshot. Not sure if that's in the Desktop client as an option, but that's one option if you're using SteamOS to get a bit more functionality out of the DS4 trackpad.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Well yeah there are fiddly solutions but that’s my point really

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There was a parallel discussion in the GPU thread but I'm posting this here because it's more about the drama than the hardware:

https://twitter.com/Sebasti66855537/status/1747323046984126770?t=B5ddRPOnInXLOW0dogA5eA&s=19

Like, what do these people WANT, if not just to stir up poo poo? Was the review not representative of the 4070S's relative place in the stack and/or its dollar value?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Think I’ll trust stebe gamersnexus over first name bunchanumbers with an anime avatar

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

If reviewers aren’t sucking the cum directly out of Nvidia’s balls with a silly straw then it’s just tactics to paint nvidia’s product in a bad light. Ignore that GN’s conclusion was the 4070S is a good card in the market as it is now.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I think there is something to be said about him not picking more recent and popular games. Who the hell is playing Tomb Raider? Cyberpunk is a more relevant game especially given only a few months ago the game was overhauled with new DLC and everything.

I trust Steve but I don't think he's above being criticized for not having a more relevant set of games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

Who the hell is playing Tomb Raider? Cyberpunk is a more relevant game especially given only a few months ago the game was overhauled with new DLC and everything.

there are dozens of them

dozens!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'll just copy this post from the GPU thread, this has always been GN's approach and they just reworked their methodology so it's a deliberate choice to keep these games on the charts because it shows the kind of data they think is important.

Cygni posted:

It goes back to that argument about whether testing repeatable games that "show scaling" is more important than testing the games people actually want to play in the settings they want to play them at. GN's methodology vids make it clear that they are fully using the former, while HUB tends to favor the latter.

I don't think either methodology is itself wrong... games that scale well likely are better analogues for future performance or "all things being equal" generic workloads, for example. But I do think the over-reliance on scaling happy games gives people Quake3 Syndrome where people used to run out to buy games based on Q3 timedemo scores despite Q3 being the only game that actually scaled like that. If you really want to maximize your purchase dollar, I think you have to weigh both.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Was it Cyberpunk that had a bug where settings wouldn't always stick/get reset? That seems like it might make benchmarking problematic.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Shipon posted:

I think there is something to be said about him not picking more recent and popular games. Who the hell is playing Tomb Raider? Cyberpunk is a more relevant game especially given only a few months ago the game was overhauled with new DLC and everything.

I trust Steve but I don't think he's above being criticized for not having a more relevant set of games.

It's to compare it to previous benchmarks they've already made.

The alternative is to test every game on every card every time.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Shipon posted:

Always thought the idea was to test with a known factor, rather than something fresh and still getting updates that could affect performance.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pigma_Micron posted:

Which I believe is what HUB does for their big 40-50 game benchmark videos and it always sounds like it kills Aussie Steve.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Serperoth posted:

Always thought the idea was to test with a known factor, rather than something fresh and still getting updates that could affect performance.

This seemed to have just happened with Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The tests were hitting the engine limit, about 200-210 fps, and now a 4080FE was drat near hitting 300 fps (at 1080 of course) and 250 fps with RT on (though that game is only shadow RT).

I saw one reviewer who went back through and re-ran all the cards they were running against the 4070S because of the new ceiling in the game.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

Was it Cyberpunk that had a bug where settings wouldn't always stick/get reset? That seems like it might make benchmarking problematic.

Sure was!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helter Skelter posted:

I think the issue there was that using the presets sometimes didn't actually the propagate the settings to the individual categories

so GN's protocol is that when they say "Low", what they mean is "we copied down each individual category's parameter if you use the Low preset, and then set the categories to those, without using the preset"

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like, what do these people WANT, if not just to stir up poo poo? Was the review not representative of the 4070S's relative place in the stack and/or its dollar value?

Is it really stirring up poo poo to point out that they're getting heavily CPU bottlenecked results in a GPU review? It is the standard to use the fastest CPU possible to give representative GPU results, which GN Steve will say himself, they just keep using an older CPU so they don't have to rebench all the cards.

Steve's 4070 Super review is simply not good, it's using an ancient game suite that seriously needs updating. I get that rebenching everything is a lot of work, but GN positions themselves as the vanguard hardware reviewers putting in as much extra work as required to get the best results. They're putting in less work and getting appropriately worse results compared to other reviewers.

E: to be clear the very original tweet spinning this as some anti-nvidia thing is dogshit, but GN's review methodology isn't beyond reproach.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 17, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pigma_Micron posted:

It's to compare it to previous benchmarks they've already made.

I think there's a compromise solution that exists between "hanging onto an aging test system and testing ancient games because you're allergic to doing any retests" and "retesting everything every review." GN's test system is aging and could use an upgrade. So could their game suite. They don't need to retest everything every time, but once every big new leap in CPU performance wouldn't be the end of the world. That's what everyone else does.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think there's a compromise solution that exists between "hanging onto an aging test system and testing ancient games because you're allergic to doing any retests" and "retesting everything every review." GN's test system is aging and could use an upgrade. So could their game suite. They don't need to retest everything every time, but once every big new leap in CPU performance wouldn't be the end of the world. That's what everyone else does.

They have newer games on their benchmark list. They used Baldur's Gate 3, Total War: Warhammer 3, Cyberpunk in their best of 2023 charts, and in their 4070 Super test they used a bunch of 2022-2023 games (Starfield, Resident Evil 4, Dying Light 2, F1 22, etc). There's good reasons for why Tomb Raider is tested, and HardwareUnboxed still have it in their test suite too, especially for lower end cards - see the A750 v 4060 benchmarks they did a few months ago.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I dunno about this. Back in the magazine era Quake III was the defacto test game for a *really* long time, even post Half Life 2. I think it sometimes has to do with how built in benchmarks are few and far between in games, and when they do exist sometimes they give very inconsistent numbers. Additionally, if games are constantly rotated, gamers who haven't upgraded their card for a while will have no numbers to compare to. I know people who are still on 900 series nvidia cards starting to think about upgrading, and a long tail game like tomb raider can give them a frame of reference for how much performance they're going to gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

we still talk about DOOM and Crysis