Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nothus posted:

Everyone who got sick in fall 2019 through like Feb 2020 thinks they got og covid

well in fairness i was basically paralyzed with pain and fatigue for two days, deaf for two days, and then had walking pneumonia for the next month where i coughed so hard i broke my ribs, so yeah it was probably og covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Fur20 posted:

well in fairness i was basically paralyzed with pain and fatigue for two days, deaf for two days, and then had walking pneumonia for the next month where i coughed so hard i broke my ribs, so yeah it was probably og covid

ah yes, acute hearing loss. that classic Covid symptom.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

ah yes, acute hearing loss. that classic Covid symptom.

leaving 1 star reviews on wood wicked candles bc they don't crackle like they used to

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Nothus posted:

Everyone who got sick in fall 2019 through like Feb 2020 thinks they got og covid

We were in Vegas during CES in January of 2020, we came back and my wife was sick for a bit over a week with flu like symptoms and loss of taste and appetite. Negative for flu and strep tests but who knows

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I know the answer why but it shocks me how in 2024 people get on an airplane with a full-on cough, no mask, and just hack away the entire flight.

I swear people used to be ashamed of it, right? Take some cough suppressants? Choke it back. These days someone is on there taking it as a point of pride to just rear back and see how far they can project their poo poo, every couple seconds.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Baddog posted:

I swear people used to be ashamed of it, right? Take some cough suppressants? Choke it back. These days someone is on there taking it as a point of pride to just rear back and see how far they can project their poo poo, every couple seconds.

ohhhhhh no they didn’t

people who were sick always went wherever they wanted and coughed their heads off

we just have more of them now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's incredible how effective calling everyone a big crybaby pussy was at making us accept the largest mass death event in American history

It would be really funny if someone delivered the “there was a SARS-COV-1” [and now it’s mild and endemic] line to one of the docs getting paid twenty thousand dollars per appearance on CNN.

Watch them try to step around how SARS was horrifying and was contained by concerted international effort while continuing to downplay its sibling.

There’s like zero opportunity for such a conversation to come up at this point. Could have happened in late 2021, early 2022 maybe.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:16 on Jan 17, 2024

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I'm just glad we've learned from the mistakes of Covid-19 and are now adequately prepared for the next pandemic.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Baddog posted:

by the end of my 3 hour flight I could identify five unique coughs in the fuselage.

it was sort of like bird watching but for airborne disease instead of airborne friends.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I know the answer why but it shocks me how in 2024 people get on an airplane with a full-on cough, no mask, and just hack away the entire flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4c_SkROzzo

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Steve Yun posted:

ohhhhhh no they didn’t

people who were sick always went wherever they wanted and coughed their heads off

we just have more of them now

I used to go to work/meetings sick since I thought it was just my twice yearly sinus infection.

Once I started masking/avoiding people, I stopped getting those bi-yearly "sinus infections".

Sorry co-workers.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

sharing is caring

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My MIL was just hospitalized with a blood clot.

Jokes about the vaccine notwithstanding, is this a normal thing to happen to a healthy person on the younger side of middle age now? Additionally, if I have to fly across the country in the next day or so, what kind of PPE should I wear on the plane?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

This is my concern on top of all of the conflict unfolding as this plays out and I look at the available flights.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:39 on Jan 17, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It certainly wasn't normal at all 5 years ago. Now? Yeah, it's normal and don't be surprised when you hear about whole lot of clotting, and other cardiac events popping up in the next month.

Wear an N95 respirator or better on the plane. You're Canadian right? You should have 3M masks available up there.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

NeonPunk posted:

It certainly wasn't normal at all 5 years ago. Now? Yeah, it's normal and don't be surprised when you hear about whole lot of clotting, and other cardiac events popping up in the next month.

Wear an N95 respirator or better on the plane. You're Canadian right? You should have 3M masks available up there.

I have 3M N95s both with and without the cool valve thing.

I don't want to come across as :tinfoil: so I won't mention covid to anyone, but the blood clot out of nowhere is a bit concerning.

It's like when my mom had a stroke out of nowhere after having covid in the first year of this. Maybe these are coincidences, but I worry that "just the flu" might be sending ripples.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Frosted Flake posted:

My MIL was just hospitalized with a blood clot.

Jokes about the vaccine notwithstanding, is this a normal thing to happen to a healthy person on the younger side of middle age now? Additionally, if I have to fly across the country in the next day or so, what kind of PPE should I wear on the plane?

PPE for an airborne particle hazard. The hazard source is humans.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Frosted Flake posted:

I have 3M N95s both with and without the cool valve thing.

Those are PPE for an airborne particle hazard! Auras are still the gold standard for N95s, nothing has changed there.

For something less flippant, did you write much about the religious reasons to continue masking and avoid illnesses like covid? I read Martin Luther's Plague essay, and having been using that as a basis for some of my reasoning with HR types, but was hoping you had already done some of that homework.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

NeonPunk posted:

I’ve flown a handful of times this year and my Aura goes on right before I walk in to the airport and stays on until I leave the final airport outside of very occasional gulps of water in the most secluded part of a terminal I can find.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
always nice to see people who otherwise discuss materialism and all that other good poo poo and make themselves seem untrustworthy with this garbage https://twitter.com/t_NYC/status/1747423460588982321?s=20

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

if you ignore the problem it doesn't exist

:911:

also just a reminder, public health will be fuhrer defunded around this time next year. we seem to be ignoring that problem as well.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

jetz0r posted:

Those are PPE for an airborne particle hazard! Auras are still the gold standard for N95s, nothing has changed there.

For something less flippant, did you write much about the religious reasons to continue masking and avoid illnesses like covid? I read Martin Luther's Plague essay, and having been using that as a basis for some of my reasoning with HR types, but was hoping you had already done some of that homework.

I did, and I did quite a bit of reading about it too. I thought Catholocism in the Time of Coronavirus was fantastic, and really framed covid in terms of the Christian mission.

Unfortunately, covid is over, and Catholocism After Coronavirus is very badly undermined by those assumptions. The problem was not finding a religious response to covid, I think just as the Martin Luthor passage showed, that could not be more clear. The problem is, in an environment where covid is "over", how do you maintain that response?

I thought about it, and the comparative examples from the Bubonic Plague where cities where merchants were the strongest wanted to drop measures as soon as possible resonates. The problem is that, you know, Milanese manufacturers and Flemish wool merchants could not control the perception of disease to the degree that our capitalists can. I have always said that if covid left visible sores we might be able to have a continued vigilance against it, but the fact that now people are sick from an "unknown respiratory illness" has really set things back.

The problem is that parishioners are mostly Boomers, and mostly middle class, at least where I am, and for them the institutions telling them covid is over would win in a competition against the Church telling them it's not. So, I'm at a loss about that problem right now.

Potato Salad posted:

if you ignore the problem it doesn't exist

Suburban Canadian Catholics, in my experience, would rather obsess about a problem that doesn't exist, like Satanism as a real force in society that needs to be combatted, than one that does, an infectious disease that's killed millions. I don't know how you fix that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Frosted Flake posted:

Suburban Canadian Catholics, in my experience, would rather obsess about a problem that doesn't exist, like Satanism as a real force in society that needs to be combatted, than one that does, an infectious disease that's killed millions. I don't know how you fix that.

Y'all have time but it's urgent that you somehow normalize general leftism again ASAP. I'm in the US and about 1/3 of our population is essentially fed up with democracy, and not in a "we should improve society somewhat" way. We're cooked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

empireofcrime posted:

always nice to see people who otherwise discuss materialism and all that other good poo poo and make themselves seem untrustworthy with this garbage https://twitter.com/t_NYC/status/1747423460588982321?s=20

The original tweet isn't showing for me:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

also just a reminder, public health will be fuhrer defunded around this time next year.

:godwinning:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The original tweet isn't showing for me:

It was a guy Just Asking™ if we were all eugenicists for not masking against the flu prior to 2020.

Alex Walling (@chorizanthe) posted:

Prior to COVID, thousands of Americans died every flu season. Were we all eugenicists because we weren't masking in winter 2019?

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 06:51 on Jan 17, 2024

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Great article from Julia Doubleday that covers a lot
https://www.thegauntlet.news/p/learning-to-live-with-covid-means

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

It was a guy Just Asking™ if we were all eugenicists for not masking against the flu prior to 2020.

Shiroc posted:

Comrades, I absolutely refuse to wear a mask to protect myself and you in this prong of the class war. However, I assure you that you can count on my discipline and commitment when the chips are really down.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Some casual state violence for everyone

https://twitter.com/kron4news/status/1747075974733132102
https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area...utm_source=t.co

Sure, let's just pretend that there's no asymptomatic, pre-symptomatic, or post-fever transmission since that would be convenient.

I also really like this advice for COVID+ students

quote:

Avoid contact with people at higher-risk for 10 days. High-risk individuals include the elderly and people who have immunocompromising conditions.

Just avoid them! (if you want)

What a deranged society.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

DickParasite posted:

Shiroc posted:

Comrades, I absolutely refuse to wear a mask to protect myself and you in this prong of the class war. However, I assure you that you can count on my discipline and commitment when the chips are really down.

Really one of the best things posted in all of the threads. It sums things up so perfectly and succinctly.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Does this thread condemn the DNA changes? Yes or no?!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Asproigerosis posted:

Does this thread condemn the DNA changes? Yes or no?!

i would embrace any child my wife had, regardless of DNA

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
oh whoops, didn't realize this was posted in another thread

for context

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
well there's a pretty whacky claim

goof-rear end even

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
covid: here's what you would look like if you were black or chinese

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even in that one study where Aldén and the rest of the Swedes megavaxed a cancer‐susceptible cell line and found reverse transcription, that still wouldn’t explain how liver DNA would overwrite what’s in eggs or sperm.

Jabbing the ’nads is not a preferred technique for immunization.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I kinda wanna know how Wendy thinks the asian DNA got into the vaccine

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

i think someone needs to update CVS's protocols then........

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
bf just said “I’m still positive, but idk the line is pretty light” and posted a dark purple test. he thought the control line was his sample.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
if its visible at all, you can still be contagious.

the good news is lots and lots of activities can be done in a well fitting, high quality mask

I take my second test tomorrow to see if I can leave my posting hole. i am extremely excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

Well poo poo now you tell me. :argh: