Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Karate Bastard posted:

...Behemoth *step* Beelzebub *step* Asmodeus *step* Satanas *step* Lucifer *step*

I don't remember that verse of School Spirit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Sucks to your asmr

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I loving loved nailing the combo with the ASMR :hellyeah:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mauser posted:

Sucks to your asmr

ASMR: shattering conch/Piggy bones

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

ASMR to me seems like weird fetish poo poo.

Believe it or not it really is a reaction that some people get. I know because I used to get it all the time when I was a little kid. Episodes of Painting with Bob Ross would trigger it for me and I would get this weird sensation of pulsating "relaxation" that would start on the crown of my scalp and pass over my entire head. I would just be completely zoned out and zombified. My parents thought it was weird at first but then figured out they could use it to make me calm the gently caress down when I was being annoying.

At some point I stopped having that reaction and now Bob Ross just sounds like a whispering hippie to me same as anyone else. The closest sensation I've felt to ASMR in my adult life was when I was in a wreck and the doctor gave me the really good pain pills.

Edit: Though I guess it must have turned into a weird fetish thing at some point. I can't imagine people with actual ASMR are sustaining all of these video creators.

wash bucket has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Jan 17, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I think it's like the cilantro gene - I definitely get a feeling from it, but instead of being calming it instantly makes me want to punch through my monitor.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

People deny ASMR is a sex thing too vehemently for it not to be at least a little bit a sex thing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
When I hear the sound of ice cracking, or little metallic bits falling onto metal, I *get* what people like about ASMR. But the moment it's intentional, like a person specifically tapping on a thing to produce the noise, I loving hate it, I hate it so loving much

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Satan is my hotrod ASMR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpiduQe2e7I

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've heard things done with synthesizers and filters that definitely got a visceral reaction out of me, so yeah I guess I 'get' ASMR too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm completely frictionless and "get" nothing.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

wash bucket posted:

Believe it or not it really is a reaction that some people get. I know because I used to get it all the time when I was a little kid. Episodes of Painting with Bob Ross would trigger it for me and I would get this weird sensation of pulsating "relaxation" that would start on the crown of my scalp and pass over my entire head. I would just be completely zoned out and zombified.

Yeah! That's exactly it!

wash bucket posted:

At some point I stopped having that reaction and now Bob Ross just sounds like a whispering hippie to me same as anyone else.

Yeah, that's also exactly it :(

e: the common denominator is having "bucket" in your username

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What was he even trying to do?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Tiggum posted:

He was trying to mount the tire on the rim with an explosion, which is a thing you can do but I've only ever seen it done with aerosols. I'm not sure what he poured into that thing but it was too much, clearly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiggum posted:

He way trying to destroy the trailer and make “content” in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLIVq4Slc0c&t=26s

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

BlackIronHeart posted:

He was trying to mount the tire on the rim with an explosion, which is a thing you can do but I've only ever seen it done with aerosols. I'm not sure what he poured into that thing but it was too much, clearly.

It was the use of det cord, which is generally used to set off much larger explosions. If you're trying to seat a tire, you use something that is merely combustible, like gasoline or benzene just to "poof" the tire to get it to seat so you can inflate it.

This was just like tossing a quarter stick of dynamite in and hoping it follows the same principles.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

cult_hero posted:

It was the use of det cord, which is generally used to set off much larger explosions. If you're trying to seat a tire, you use something that is merely combustible, like gasoline or benzene just to "poof" the tire to get it to seat so you can inflate it.

This was just like tossing a quarter stick of dynamite in and hoping it follows the same principles.

Like I said, clearly too much!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

I've heard things done with synthesizers and filters that definitely got a visceral reaction out of me, so yeah I guess I 'get' ASMR too.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Ashcans posted:

People deny ASMR is a sex thing too vehemently for it not to be at least a little bit a sex thing.

:lmao:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I've heard things you people wouldn't believe. Attacky chord plucks on fire from Saturn's saturation. I heard interval sinewaves beat in AM through the Sinai Soundsystem. All of these moments will be lost in time, like a blue Mitsubishi on the dancefloor. Time of your life, bruh.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ASMR would be less weird and off-putting if it was a sex thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

ASMR would be less weird and off-putting if it was a sex thing.

I checked Youtube for the ASMR videos with the highest view counts just to see what's actually popular and there's absolutely no way it's not a fetish thing, just going by the thumbnails alone. There's a whole lotta people gagging on vaguely phallic items and foreign objects being pried out of body parts

:wtc::wtc:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2BfKp0LdY4/?igsh=MXVwN3BwZW9laW03aw==

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

cult_hero posted:

It was the use of det cord, which is generally used to set off much larger explosions.

Close, that's basic cannon fuse and what looked like a quart motor oil container was actually a jug of smokeless powder he was dumping in. You can read it if you pause at the right time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Maybe ASMR isn't technically a sex thing but it's definitely loved by a lot of perverts.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I checked Youtube for the ASMR videos with the highest view counts just to see what's actually popular and there's absolutely no way it's not a fetish thing, just going by the thumbnails alone. There's a whole lotta people gagging on vaguely phallic items and foreign objects being pried out of body parts

:wtc::wtc:

I just posted about this in the First World Problems thread. I watched a random youtube video about an old man in a traditional Japanese barber shop because it seemed cool and, being bald, I actual do kinda miss getting haircuts. I failed to see that it was ASMR, because the title was also in Japanese and I didn't pay it much mind.

I've now blocked maybe 100 different channels and wiped my entire youtube history to try and stop the creepy bullshit youtube's been recommending to me ever since.

I can sympathise with people who are so starved for human interaction that a video where a woman makes intense eye contact with the camera while pretending to comb your hair and whisper spitting into a microphone seems attractive. I can pity them even.

Just, please, keep your creepy bullshit out of my recommendations.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I think it’s interesting that there is still no IRL version of ASMR. Millions of people are into it and you would think since it’s ostensibly an exercise in titillation, there would be an entire branch of the sex trade rubbing combs, scraping foam and saying “you’re my good and special boy” for $250 an hour.Do you just need headphones and that’s what limits you to digital media?
Millennials are killing the pervert sex market .

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Borscht posted:

I think it’s interesting that there is still no IRL version of ASMR. Millions of people are into it and you would think since it’s ostensibly an exercise in titillation, there would be an entire branch of the sex trade rubbing combs, scraping foam and saying “you’re my good and special boy” for $250 an hour.Do you just need headphones and that’s what limits you to digital media?
Millennials are killing the pervert sex market .
I swear on all that is holy I will find a way to turn this into a your mom joke.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
rear end-mom

E: I'm an atheist anyway

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Jan 17, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think it's like the cilantro gene - I definitely get a feeling from it, but instead of being calming it instantly makes me want to punch through my monitor.
Turn off your listen to this device

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

I swear on all that is holy I will find a way to turn this into a your mom joke.

I’m working on this too. We’ll crack it!

Maybe: “my mom lacks the basic human empathy that sex work requires”

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I opened an ASMR video once and I found it incredibly infuriating personally. Something about whispering that's like nails on a blackboard to me. And actually I am not terribly bothered by nails on a blackboard.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just posted about this in the First World Problems thread. I watched a random youtube video about an old man in a traditional Japanese barber shop because it seemed cool and, being bald, I actual do kinda miss getting haircuts. I failed to see that it was ASMR, because the title was also in Japanese and I didn't pay it much mind.

I've now blocked maybe 100 different channels and wiped my entire youtube history to try and stop the creepy bullshit youtube's been recommending to me ever since.

I can sympathise with people who are so starved for human interaction that a video where a woman makes intense eye contact with the camera while pretending to comb your hair and whisper spitting into a microphone seems attractive. I can pity them even.

Sir this is a youtube recommendations page.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just go into your watch history and remove the one video that's loving up your recommendations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

wash bucket posted:

Believe it or not it really is a reaction that some people get. I know because I used to get it all the time when I was a little kid. Episodes of Painting with Bob Ross would trigger it for me and I would get this weird sensation of pulsating "relaxation" that would start on the crown of my scalp and pass over my entire head. I would just be completely zoned out and zombified. My parents thought it was weird at first but then figured out they could use it to make me calm the gently caress down when I was being annoying.
The term for this is "frisson".

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
ASMR - I read 40k lore while eating chicken bones

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Mega Comrade posted:

Maybe ASMR isn't technically a sex thing but it's definitely loved by a lot of perverts.

Like feet! :)

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I attribute something awful for inoculating me against a lot of the weirder contemporary trends. I discovered SA by way of one of the Gorgeous George threads, in which everyone came together to ridicule this bizarrely self-obsessed man who had somehow secured an hour on a local public access channel to broadcast a show about himself. For some reason, one of the things that most bothered me about Gorgeous George was that he had this obsessive tick where every few seconds he would break eye contact with the camera and look somewhere off-screen. It was clear he was checking a monitor of the current feed to see if he still looked good, and it was distracting enough that it's one of the things I remember most about this deeply strange man.

now when I watch videos of some influencer droning on into their phone about some bullshit or tapping a microphone with their acrylic nails or whatever and they never once look into the camera, but the screen below it comprised solely of their own face, all I see is Gorgeous George.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQtjcf_O3Y&t=2082s

it's unfortunate the TikTok format doesn't really lend itself to allowing viewers to call in live to an influencer's feed to flush a toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah well why don't you rub dongs with your daddy