Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

quote:

SirSamVimes
Your closest match is Oxxidation based on a shared interest in: Remnant 2, Alan Wake 2, Hi-Fi Rush, Lies of P
Your top 5 recommendations are: Signalis, Elden Ring, Mad Rat Dead, Ghost Song, Clash: Artifacts of Chaos

Yeah that checks out. Never heard of Mad Rat Dead or Clash: Artifacts of Chaos, will check em out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

To explain how the matching algorithm works:

Matching strength is based on how high two users mutually ranked a game (i.e. #5 if they ranked it #1 and #5) mitigated by how many other users ranked that game, so the first few games listed for a given user (they're ordered by strength) should be a balance between mutually liked and not hugely popular.

The recommendations are then based on the top 10 matching users (so not just the one listed) with positive weighting for match strength and negative weighting for how many total voters listed it, again ordered by strength. In my experience removing the negative weighting for count makes it match hms/already played/backlog/wishlist better, but I think it's more fun if it gets a few hits with weird curveballs instead of (correctly) guessing "Elden Ring" "Disco Elysium" "Baldur's Gate 3" every time.

It's basically making an imaginary social group based on shared niche interests and then having them tell you about their other interests

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

One of my recs was what I just finished and it's gonna be a contender for my GOTY lol (sekiro)

Psychonauts 2 never was able to get its hooks in me and Neon White flips between too anime and too speedrunny. The other two I've already beaten tho, so quite accurate.

ShakeZula posted:

I'd be interested in trying both Sekiro and Elden Ring for the right price, but sadly Tokyo Mirage Sessions appears to be exclusive to platforms that I don't own

Sekiro is the harder of the two by a good margin, at least starting out, but I think you'd enjoy that more. It's lean and mean with a good story that isn't hidden in item descriptions, whereas Elden Ring is a 15 course dinner followed by dessert buffet

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

quote:

Your closest match is HopperUK based on a shared interest in: Siralim Ultimate, Dwarf Fortress

Hell yeah good taste havin buddy :cheers:

quote:

Your top 5 recommendations are: Coromon, Pokemon Infinite Fusion, Elden Ring, Moon: Remix RPG, Animal Crossing

Well I know I really like Infinite Fusion and Elden Ring, and I touch Animal Crossing about once a year these days but I poured about 800 hours into it all told. I have both Moon and Coromon so I guess I've got some good priorities going into 2024. This was neat, thanks!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lol that my closest match is Endorph considering I chat to her a lot already. Guess I really do have to get into Shinymas now...

My 2024 to-play list is looking like this:

To finish:
Octopath Traveller 2
Elsinore

To continue playing:
Final Fantasy XIV - Dawntrail out in summer
Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising
Arknights

To play:
The Roottrees Are Dead
Misericorde vol 1
Slay The Princess
Void Stranger
Yakuza: Like A Dragon
LAD Gaiden
LAD: Infinite Wealth
FF7 Remake
FF7 Rebirth
Ace Combat 7
Granblue Fantasy Relink

Wow, I got a lot to play huh. And that's just stuff I can think of right now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

woke kaczynski posted:

Hell yeah good taste havin buddy :cheers:

Well I know I really like Infinite Fusion and Elden Ring, and I touch Animal Crossing about once a year these days but I poured about 800 hours into it all told. I have both Moon and Coromon so I guess I've got some good priorities going into 2024. This was neat, thanks!

Coromon is a really fun pokeclone! I love the creature designs, and I *adore* the addition of a sort of middle-grade shiny that it's more plausible to hunt for.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Microcline posted:

Belgian Waffle
Your closest match is Microcline based on a shared interest in: Library of Ruina, TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children, Monster Sanctuary, Cassette Beasts, Inscryption, Griftlands, Paradise Killer, Pentiment, Outer Wilds, Elden Ring, Hades
Your top 5 recommendations are: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Void Stranger, Factory Town, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Disco Elysium

:wink:

I've been hesitating on Void Stranger, but I guess I have to now...

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Microline posted:

Paying2Lurk
Your closest match is buddychrist10 based on a shared interest in: Little Goody Two Shoes, Octopath Traveler II
Your top 5 recommendations are: Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon, Baldur's Gate 3, Legend of Heroes: Trails Into Reverie, Fire Emblem Engage, Pokemon Emerald Rogue

Hmmm, never played a Trails game but I trust the data. BG3 should be cheap by the time I have something that can play it, and the other 3...eh, we'll see.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
[quote="Microcline" post="537214531"]
M-Z

Mamkute
Your closest match is VideoGames based on a shared interest in: Final Fantasy VII (1997), Shadow of the Colossus (2018), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Celeste, Spider-Man (2018), Final Fantasy VII Remake, Horizon Forbidden West
Your top 5 recommendations are: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X, Disco Elysium

I have played: Twilight Princess, FF9 and FF10; next should be FF8. I know the soundtracks great, at least.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Microcline posted:

frytechnician
Your closest match is Lester based on a shared interest in: Hunt: Showdown, Dwarf Fortress
Your top 5 recommendations are: Elden Ring, Book of Hours, Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic, Library of Ruina, Factory Town

:forkbomb:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Microcline posted:

Booky
Your closest match is cheetah7071 based on a shared interest in: Fire Emblem Project Ember, Shin Megami Tensei III, Final Fantasy VII (1997), Fire Emblem Engage, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, New Pokemon Snap, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Your top 5 recommendations are: Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland, Ocarina of Time Randomizer, Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream, Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk, Blue Reflection: Second Light

thats so much atelier...

Microcline posted:

Forsythia
Your closest match is Booky based on a shared interest in: Undertale, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Pokémon Sword and Shield, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Deltarune, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Your top 5 recommendations are: Shin Megami Tensei III, Majin Tensei, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Fire Emblem Project Ember

Grinnblade
Your closest match is Booky based on a shared interest in: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Stardew Valley
Your top 5 recommendations are: Undertale, Shin Megami Tensei III, Void Stranger, Majin Tensei, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Microcline posted:

nitsuga
Your closest match is Booky based on a shared interest in: Undertale, Tetris 99, Stardew Valley
Your top 5 recommendations are: Shin Megami Tensei III, Majin Tensei, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem Project Ember, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

and thats so many rpgs....!!!
i like majin tensei a lot but its objectively, pretty janky.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Microcline posted:

A Bystander
Your closest match is JollyBoyJohn based on a shared interest in: Trials Rising, Powerwash Simulator, Hades
Your top 5 recommendations are: Dota 2, Rocket League, League of Legends, Football Manager 2024, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Well, I did try Dota 2 once at the behest of a friend (it didn't stick), and I've only played LoL with my sister whenever she bothers to play. I do play Rocket League sometimes and I dunno a dang thing about Football Manager as I've never done it. I do want to try Sekiro and beat it for this year since I made an attempt but stopped because of life.

I will still put Let It Die as number 1 this year, however.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Microcline posted:

MikeC
Your closest match is Paracausal based on a shared interest in: Company of Heroes 3, Diablo IV, Cyberpunk 2077
Your top 5 recommendations are: Cocoon, Baldur's Gate 3, Against the Storm, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon, Satisfactory

Holy poo poo, thanks a bundle for this. Against the Storm I am already playing and it is a blast. I would get BG3 but I am prioritizing titles I normally wouldn't get over games in genres I have done extensively.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
four people matched with me, I'm popular

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo, bud

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Jerusalem posted:

Bolded is what I'm playing right now! :woop:

This is very cool, thanks Microcline!

Dewgy, Extortionist, Fix, Heavy Metal, Ms Adequate, Promethium, TriffTshngo & webmeister, my highest recommendation scientifically speaking is that you play Pentiment!

Way ahead of you! I binged it already - had been on my Xbox “to play” list for 12 months now and this thread inspired me to get around to it!

Microcline posted:

To explain how the matching algorithm works:

Matching strength is based on how high two users mutually ranked a game (i.e. #5 if they ranked it #1 and #5) mitigated by how many other users ranked that game, so the first few games listed for a given user (they're ordered by strength) should be a balance between mutually liked and not hugely popular.

The recommendations are then based on the top 10 matching users (so not just the one listed) with positive weighting for match strength and negative weighting for how many total voters listed it, again ordered by strength. In my experience removing the negative weighting for count makes it match hms/already played/backlog/wishlist better, but I think it's more fun if it gets a few hits with weird curveballs instead of (correctly) guessing "Elden Ring" "Disco Elysium" "Baldur's Gate 3" every time.

It's basically making an imaginary social group based on shared niche interests and then having them tell you about their other interests

Does it include data from previous years as well? There’s a couple of games in mine like Three Kingdoms that I posted about in 2019 but didn’t mention this year

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Microcline posted:

Jokymi
Your closest match is ShakeZula based on a shared interest in: Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, Alan Wake 2, Cyberpunk 2077
Your top 5 recommendations are: Baldur's Gate 3, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Lies of P, A Plague Tale: Requiem, Mad Rat Dead
Interesting! I am in the middle of my third playthrough of BG3 right now. I abandoned my first two due to restartitis, but made it up to Act 3 this time and I think I will be finishing it with this character (a half-elf bard/rogue). It's going to have to get a spot somewhere on my list next year, once I'm able to fully judge it.

I've played through both Valhalla and Requiem in previous years, and enjoyed both. They're kind of right up my alley as to the kind of games I go for, so good call there.

I've never really gotten into Soulslike games after bouncing off the first Dark Souls years ago, but I keep meaning to rectify that and give the genre another shot. Maybe Lies of P will be an entry point that works for me.

Never even heard of Mad Rat Dead, and it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the list, but now I feel like I have to check it out purely for curiosity's sake!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Microcline posted:

Lavatein
Your closest match is Lavetein

:(

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Microcline posted:

ShoogaSlim
Your top 5 recommendations are: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Death Stranding, Star Wars: Squadrons, Kentucky Route Zero, Control

this is rad! i absolutely will be playing sekiro at some point, most definitely after enjoying the parrying in lies of p. i'm on the fence about death stranding but will eventually get to it just to see all of the whacky stuff in kojima's brain and maybe psyche myself up for the sequel. i own all of the suggested games and either started or intend to start all of them except star wars squadron which is kind of a wildcard suggestion. i looked it up on youtube and it doesn't really feel like my cup of tea

s/o to Party Boat who i'm their closest match and haveblue who is my closest match.

HopperUK posted:

Yay!

Look at this stupid thing I made. It makes me so cross, it's so silly. But I made it, dammit.

i bought it on steam and just played a few tutorial levels and i think i'm going to have a lot of fun with it. i'm cautiously excited/optimistic. i feel like it's going to be a blast but also going to tickle the part of my brain that gets really aggravated when i can't figure out some missing piece of a puzzle. as much as i like spreadsheets and data/instructions, i tend to lose my grip on sanity when parts become unclear. then i hyper obsess and fixate until i fix the error and i'm extremely relieved, lol.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I do find it kinda funny how the person who got recommended me got recommended Elden Ring when I haven't played more than 5 hours of it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

four people matched with me, I'm popular

Four people matched with you, but I'm the one who you matched with. I am the number one top cheetah friend!

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Microcline posted:

broken pixel
Your closest match is MMF Freeway based on a shared interest in: Pentiment, Noita, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, The Case of the Golden Idol, Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Baldur's Gate 3, Elden Ring, Octopath Traveler II, Vampire Survivors
Your top 5 recommendations are: Triangle Strategy, Psychonauts 2, Disco Elysium, Hades, Cyberpunk 2077

I have been avoiding the Cyberpunk train for a long while now, but somehow, this makes me feel like I must finally give in to the call. I'm also looking at the other people who matched with MMF Freeway for bonus recommends. Siiick.

Also, Psychonauts 2, Disco, and Hades all slap to death and are great recommendations as vetted by me for me, personally.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:sweatdrop:

i'm not sure if i should laugh maniacally or apologize profusely

The recommendations for TReN are flying out thick and fast!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

Four people matched with you, but I'm the one who you matched with. I am the number one top cheetah friend!

it's true

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i played some of the games this thread told me to play and i played some other games too. so far 2024 is off to a good start.

pentiment? great game. all time great first two acts and then fumbles the bag of coins ever so slightly in act 3.

doom 2? great game. who knew?

granblue fantasy versus: rising? great game. can i reach master rank before tekken comes out? who knows. this game is sick.

producer (2021)? great game. funny. short and sweet and strange and surreal.

SANABI? great game. half sci-fi dystopian mystery thriller visual novel, half super fast paced platformer. made me tear up a little bit at the end. probably the best one on the list.

all of the above likely to be contenders for 2024's GOTY.

resident evil 2 remake (leon)? great game but that sewer section hosed it. why would you take me away from the mansion? if not for the sewers, i would've jumped right back in to claire's route B. game would've been infinitely better if it simply ended when you left the police station.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Microcline posted:

Skjorte
Your closest match is ChrisBTY based on a shared interest in: Wooden Ocean, TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children, Mortal Kombat 11, Death Stranding, Octopath Traveler II, Hades, Disco Elysium
Your top 5 recommendations are: Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Elden Ring, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Pokemon Infinite Fusion

Eternally linked by the Wooden Ocean!

Of my recommendations: I fear an older Pathfinder might be too systems-heavy and hardcore an RPG for me; I beat Yakuzas 3 and 4 in 2023, and I'm currently working my way through 5, so I might get around to Like a Dragon by the end of 2024; I played 5 minutes of Elden Ring before returning it to the library last year, after quickly realizing it didn't feel like the right time to try to break through the Soulslike barrier; I'll look into TotK once I take another year or two to finally beat Breath of the Wild (which I started from scratch and put another 50 hours into in 2023); I've tried and failed to get into several Pokémons after loving the original for Gameboy as a kid--maybe all I need to get back into the swing of things is an infinite fusion?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

*CHK CHK*

I'm actually going to have a thorough look at Book of Hours - a card game about being a librarian? Sign me up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

webmeister posted:

Way ahead of you! I binged it already - had been on my Xbox “to play” list for 12 months now and this thread inspired me to get around to it!

Hell yeah, the long game Sting paid off folks. Let's take this place apart and get outta here. You can get your splits from Rarity at Goons with Spoons tonight.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

The recommendations for TReN are flying out thick and fast!!

but I put the train away for the year! :kingsley:

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Out of all lists there was a singular goon who chose 10 games that did not feature on any other submitted list. Somehow this one goon managed to be completely cut off from the rest of the thread and to them I bestow the 'Pluto; Just Orbiting My Own Path' trophy.

Latevin! Please come and collect you trophy before it gets left behind the sofa :)

Oh hey, I guess that's almost my name!

For reference my list was:

10. Dragon Ball Xenoverse
9. Blackwell Epiphany
8. Shenmue 1&2
7. Need for Speed Payback
6. Sol Survivor
5. Return to Shironagasu Island
4. Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
3. Hitman 2016
2. Blue Reflection
1. Dance Cube

I noticed the buddy data included games I voted for last year as well but still couldn't match me with anyone. Does that mean my total 20 choices had no matches even combining everyone elses votes over the 2 years? (i.e. nobody in 2023 voted for my 2022 picks, and vice versa)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazing work Microcline, thanks for doing this! Me and veeg ultimate besties :c00lbert: I really do need to play Prey 2017 this year.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm surprised you haven't played Prey yet esco!

Also hmmm... gravity rush 2 is included in my ps+.... maybe this year...????

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Too many fuckin games m8

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Have played (partly thanks to thread):
- Pentiment
- Against the Storm (need more time in this, it's fun!)
- Coffee Talk 2 (nobody voted for it but it's a chill visual novel)

Games currently playing:
- BG3; need to finally finish act 1
- Forza Motorsport; I know the new one is a bit poo poo but it's fun to zone out and drive

Games intending to play/get back to this year:
- Lies of P
- Elden Ring DLC (maybe I'll finally finish the base game after running out of steam in Leyndell and realising 80+ hours meant I was only halfway through)
- Diablo IV (assuming it gets added to Gamepass)
- At least one Yakuza
- Assassin's Creed Mirage (assuming it gets a deep discount)
- Armored Core 6 (this has assisted targeting like Elden Ring right?)
- Shadow Gambit
- Steamworld Build
- Star Wars Jedi Survivor (feels like this is Gamepass-imminent)
- Cocoon
- Sea of Stars
- My Time at Sandrock
- Age of Wonders 4
- Warhammer : Rogue Trader
- Alan Wake 2
- Prince of Persia: the Lost Crown

Games I need to play less of this year:
- Minesweeper
- Solitaire

Games I wish I could play but probably can't:
- Cyberpunk :( (I get intense motion sickness from first-person games)
- Outer Wilds (same as above)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Escobarbarian posted:

Too many fuckin games m8

To be fair, you'd probably only enjoy Prey if you like games that are just goddamn excellent and an absolute blast to play, and make your life better for having experienced them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ibblebibble posted:

I do find it kinda funny how the person who got recommended me got recommended Elden Ring when I haven't played more than 5 hours of it.

Based on Microcline's explanation I'm guessing that people who tend to rank more games on their GOTY list get matched more often than those who only list 5-6 each year.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, you'd probably only enjoy Prey if you like games that are just goddamn excellent and an absolute blast to play, and make your life better for having experienced them.

:haibrow:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

HopperUK posted:

Yay!

Look at this stupid thing I made. It makes me so cross, it's so silly. But I made it, dammit.

Opus Magnum hijack time!

My hangover cure is more expensive than yours and requires more area, but I get that poo poo done fast. When you need a hangover cure, you need it right NOW

game owns

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Darke GBF posted:

Opus Magnum hijack time!

My hangover cure is more expensive than yours and requires more area, but I get that poo poo done fast. When you need a hangover cure, you need it right NOW

game owns

art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Related, if you want to avoid tackling your own backlog of games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuszSUI_qBY

Speaking of backlogs and tracking games...

One thing has been obvious to me for a few years now: there is no way to track all your playtime across all platforms (and yes, even tracking things that are not on any "platform", like playing a, ehm, a copy of a game obtained through various unofficial means, or a fan remake that's been taken off the Internet, or your old boxed copy of a game). Each platform holder wants to keep all the data to themselves so unless I do something hacky like https://ps-timetracker.com/, you have to rely on them reporting the correct stats. I know you can use the Steam API to export all your games and their total playtime at least, but other platforms, like Sony, you have to go via the GDPR process to get your historical data and that's far from ideal.

I like to keep track of what I've read, watched, played etc. so last January I started my own backlog/game catalogue web app in Python (Django) as a way of getting into web dev. It can track individual sessions but currently all the tracking is manual. This is both good because I can track any platform and any game, but it's also bad due to the overhead. Right now there is no mobile app but I plan to learn to how make one.

It's open-source and this year I plan to add authentication and make it pull metadata from Metacritic, How Long To Beat, and probably IGDB for covers and poo poo, and in general make it presentable and usable by regular users.

I know of at least 2 things that kind of do what I want but not in enough detail, or exactly how I like: https://backloggd.com/ and https://www.sofahq.com/

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 17, 2024