Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the flysimware cessna 414 is insanely good

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

the milk machine posted:

the flysimware cessna 414 is insanely good

:synpa:

Their Learjet 35A is pretty good, even for early access.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I tried running Microsoft Flight Simulator on my phone via Xbox cloud streaming and ... it still needs a 50 GB download ... ... somewhere??? Is there a datacentre holding my flight sim data :lol:

Other things streamed effortlessly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You've been chosen to babysit the flight sim install on the cloud servers.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Microsoft stays winning

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I picked up a Stream Deck to get myself some extra buttons while using the honeycomb yoke, and ho boy is this another massive thing to learn about and endlessly tinker with. Not...quite as easy to set up as I expected.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 11, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

I picked up a Stream Deck to get myself some extra buttons while using the honeycomb yoke, and ho boy is this another massive thing to learn about and endlessly tinker with. Not...quite as easy to set up as I expected.

yeah I got a stream deck and loupe deck to gently caress with both.. they both went back to amazon.. they're neat but neither one does everything prefect.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I tried using my Streamdeck for DCS once and quickly noped out of it.

That being said, I do use it for non-flight sim things and it works well.

Squiggle posted:

I originally read this as Steamdeck and was thought that was a really odd choice if you were looking for extra buttons. :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tater_salad posted:

yeah I got a stream deck and loupe deck to gently caress with both.. they both went back to amazon.. they're neat but neither one does everything prefect.

I have a Loupedeck since I wanted the knobs and I mostly prefer the hardware (though I wish the square buttons were actually buttons) but the software is painful. Crashes regularly, the Hue integration can't handle a computer going to sleep, and there's very little software support outside of media production apps. The Stream Deck software ecosystem looks a lot more complete.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

As a Raspberry Pi-type nerd, this is pretty fun to figure out! Spent the morning setting up some tiles for X-Plane and the DHC-2 Beaver using the PilotsDeck plugin for it. Put some informational squares on there for things that aren't easily found in the cockpit, and added some switches and AP buttons mainly to practice the on/off tile logic. The Fuel Sel, Lights, and Autopilot buttons go into deeper menus, and now that I understand how to pull sim variables out of XP12 and make the buttons read if something is on or off in the sim, it's smoother sailing. I'm going to go nuts making profiles for my chosen frames, I can tell.

It's definitely "advanced" though, and I had to do stuff like convert how the game factors fuel flow - kg-per-sec - into gal/hr for the tile, or piece together which sim variable means "yes, the APR function is on" without also lighting up the NAV button.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 12, 2024

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I love the Streamdeck XL for flight sims. I've got a DCS plugin that can basically turn it into the UFC; it can even pull in the text of the dynamic multi-function button thingies. You can also pull in data from MSFS for current autopilot heading, alt hold info and all that stuff.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wolrah posted:

I have a Loupedeck since I wanted the knobs and I mostly prefer the hardware (though I wish the square buttons were actually buttons) but the software is painful. Crashes regularly, the Hue integration can't handle a computer going to sleep, and there's very little software support outside of media production apps. The Stream Deck software ecosystem looks a lot more complete.

Problem for me is loupe deck software doesn't allow left/right modifier keys so my main things I wanted to use it for were Flight sim.. and Arma. It's useless for Arma. so 270 it just wasn't worth it for me.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone have MFG pedals with the damper mod? I'm ready to pull the trigger on it but the damper is out of stock.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

JayKay posted:

Does anyone have MFG pedals with the damper mod? I'm ready to pull the trigger on it but the damper is out of stock.

Reposted from discord with permission:

No! But…
Someone on the airgoons discord uses an AliExpress damper:

quote:

MFG will charge you extra for what is in effect, budget Shenzen manufacturing. Just need the brackets.

Which is a simple clamp. Some spacers and longer screws.

It's actually pretty easy to reverse engineer the front spacer. Two holes for preexisting attachment points. And a 3rd hole for the damper.

If [you] have a 3d printer and access to McMaster Carr, [you] could have this done in a few days. Then wait a month for the Aliexpress damper.

If that's too much of a faff, I think the general conclusion is “not as such, but yes, it's a great thing to have”.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I have MFG pedals without the damper and never once wish I paid the extra....

Tippis posted:

Reposted from discord with permission:

No! But…
Someone on the airgoons discord uses an AliExpress damper:

If that's too much of a faff, I think the general conclusion is “not as such, but yes, it's a great thing to have”.

...yeah maybe I'll do this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Have we talked at all about the "Yaw man Arrow" controller?

https://yawmanflight.com/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I saw it on reddit and I don't get it. Seems overly expensive for what the quality looks like. I guess it's a matter of them being a smaller operation, but it looks like a prototype that you see in a video retrospective.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Also those sliders look like they'd break off the first time the controller gets dropped

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The market has to be tiny, though. People who want to flight sim and aren't satisfied with a normal controller, enough to pay extra money for this controller, but don't want to pay a little bit extra to have a semi-realistic setup. That's five people on Earth, at most.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only market I can think of is playing a flight sim while you're traveling. For the same price, you can get a decent HOTAS setup or a yoke.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i wish the vkb gladiator had some kind of set screw or something to keep it attached to the base because i severed the drat button wires for the second time when i tried to lift the joystick and the stick popped out. this time severed right near the grip with barely any room to solder. Doesn't look like you can take apart the grip easily to replace those wires so it might just be buying a new grip soon if they let me do that

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cojawfee posted:

The only market I can think of is playing a flight sim while you're traveling. For the same price, you can get a decent HOTAS setup or a yoke.

Xbox players.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can you rebind the controls on xbox?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ethanol posted:

i wish the vkb gladiator had some kind of set screw or something to keep it attached to the base because i severed the drat button wires for the second time when i tried to lift the joystick and the stick popped out. this time severed right near the grip with barely any room to solder. Doesn't look like you can take apart the grip easily to replace those wires so it might just be buying a new grip soon if they let me do that

… it does?

There’s three small screws that go in from the underside to lock the grip to the base. It’s easy to miss putting them in, though - I did the first time I put a VKB stick together.

Kalman fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 17, 2024

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kalman posted:

… it does?

There’s three small screws that go in from the underside to lock the grip to the base. It’s easy to miss putting them in, though - I did the first time I. Put a stick together.

ok i looked at those yesterday and thought those might be to secure it but they didn't look right when i held it up to the light. but that would explain me being the only one with this problem though. now you know i probably lost those screws after a year

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I've seen people talking about this issue, I think it's early model non-evo sticks that don't have the screw? VKB support will send you a new wire if you send them a message though, you shouldn't need a new grip.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

skooma512 posted:

Xbox players.

It isn't Xbox compatible.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

slidebite posted:

Have we talked at all about the "Yaw man Arrow" controller?

https://yawmanflight.com/

The creator has explicitly stated that the intended use is for people using flight sims in hotel rooms while traveling, definitely a niche case. Unfortunately it’s wired, I travel with a play station controller and use it on X-plane mobile on my iPad with a video adapter plugged into hotel screens.

There’s definite utility in using flight sims on the road to help maintain proficiency, and my favorite example is PILOT which was a space shuttle flight simulator carried on the Space Shuttle to let the pilots get a chance to practice landing after 2weeks in space.

http://www.airaffair.com/Library/Archive/Part2/space_shuttle_PILOT

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is kind of neat. Any info on this, as in photos of what it looked like?

Searching for PILOT, nasa, shuttle simulator, as you imagine brings up everything but.

Cojawfee posted:

I saw it on reddit and I don't get it. Seems overly expensive for what the quality looks like. I guess it's a matter of them being a smaller operation, but it looks like a prototype that you see in a video retrospective.

oof, yeah, $250. That seems a little dear.

PT6A posted:

The market has to be tiny, though. People who want to flight sim and aren't satisfied with a normal controller, enough to pay extra money for this controller, but don't want to pay a little bit extra to have a semi-realistic setup. That's five people on Earth, at most.
You know simmers, they've done a few runs of them and instantly sell out. :10bux:

Speaking of, any news on Honeycomb?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hot date tonight! posted:

I've seen people talking about this issue, I think it's early model non-evo sticks that don't have the screw? VKB support will send you a new wire if you send them a message though, you shouldn't need a new grip.

I'm not sure which I have? I bought it in april 2021 and the order says 'Gladiator NXT - GNX Premium Right 1 $150.00'

is there a more recent version of the stick?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I do like the idea of having slightly more controls than an xbox controller, but not a full HOTAS, for like, flying a cessna in the sim when I don't want to set up everything and all that for a larger flight or something with more complex controls. That said, I don't think I like that idea enough to buy a thing like that controller. I'd probably just settle for using my Thrustmaster Airbus sidestick since that's an easy get out/put away and just skip the honeycomb stuff which is always the "I guess I didn't want to fly that bad."

That said.. Flight sim on the go doesn't sound terrible - When I visit a new area or work or something, one of my first things when I get home is often to fly around it in Flight Sim, just because its neat to see an area I just newly visited from the air. The real kicker here is I can't imagine packing an xbox controller with extra things that look breakable in a carry on just do that. That thing is gonna get busted up so fast unless it has a bespoke case.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I do like the idea of having slightly more controls than an xbox controller, but not a full HOTAS, for like, flying a cessna in the sim when I don't want to set up everything and all that for a larger flight or something with more complex controls. That said, I don't think I like that idea enough to buy a thing like that controller. I'd probably just settle for using my Thrustmaster Airbus sidestick since that's an easy get out/put away and just skip the honeycomb stuff which is always the "I guess I didn't want to fly that bad."

That said.. Flight sim on the go doesn't sound terrible - When I visit a new area or work or something, one of my first things when I get home is often to fly around it in Flight Sim, just because its neat to see an area I just newly visited from the air. The real kicker here is I can't imagine packing an xbox controller with extra things that look breakable in a carry on just do that. That thing is gonna get busted up so fast unless it has a bespoke case.

The xbox controller controls with MSFS are horrible.

I wish there were some modern joystick similar to some 90s sticks, like this. Analog joystick but small footprint. You'd still have decent control for takeoff and landing but most of my flights are on autopilot so dragging out the HOTAS is a chore.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I miss the gravis mousestick I had for a macintosh. I could fly Hellcats and F/A-18's with it, and then use it as a mouse afterwards. as a mouse it would snap back to the center of the monitor when you let go, so you could just aim it at your button and pull the trigger then let go. it was sick.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
For sake of the derail, X plane on mobile works pretty well with a controller. Not amazing, but plenty flyable for a phone flight sim.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

X-Plane 12 can look pretty sometimes.

Departing Eagle County Regional Airport (KEGE) in the Avia71 Aerostar 601P.

AutoOrtho 0.7.1 + Accumulated Snow 1.0.1 + [XPGFS] NOAA Global Weather

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sebastian Flyte posted:

It isn't Xbox compatible.

Wrong RAM, iirc

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

JayKay posted:

X-Plane 12 can look pretty sometimes.

Yes it can! Been working with autoortho, X-Earths, and a gradually-growing list of plugins to pretty it up while learning to fly the Zibomod 737-800. Been having some trouble with the extended night lighting mods, since it's just completely dark outside the object rendering radius, but daytime looks pretty goddamn good, especially at altitude.

Over Moab, on the way to Vegas from Denver.

Hell, even VFR altitudes are looking pretty good:

Thanks for the Accumulated Snow recommendation, that looks like hot poo poo.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 20, 2024

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

ethanol posted:

I'm not sure which I have? I bought it in april 2021 and the order says 'Gladiator NXT - GNX Premium Right 1 $150.00'

is there a more recent version of the stick?

Yeah the evo is the updated version, and I've seen people with the original discussing your issue and saying that VKB sends out free replacement cables. I'm not entirely sure what the differences are between the evo and the older one though. I've got the evos and they definitely have solid screws preventing the wire break issues.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Does anyone have advice on how to restart the TBM following a mid-flight engine shutdown (base Asobo TBM, msfs)? So mid flight I did a dumb and accidentally scrolled the mouse wheel while having the weight and balance menu open and reduced my fuel to zero. The engine immediately died. I've been able to restart other planes, mid-air, by going through the normal engine start procedure, but they've all been piston engines like the xcub, 152, etc (not sure that makes a difference). Anyways, I couldn't, for the life of me, get the TBM's turbo prop to restart and eventually I stalled and just quit to menu, which also dumped my Neofly mission progress. So is there an alternate procedure to restart the engine? Does the residual ITT temperature prevent a restart? IAmNotAPilot nor do I have anything more than a cursory knowledge of how turboprops actually function compared to a standard combustion engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did you try Shift E? I think that auto starts/shuts down