Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I had a spontaneous dumb idea when I was about to go into the classic old lecture about "if they break tunneling/3v1 then they have to seriously buff killers to compensate." Which is still true, killers are driven to the 3v1 strat for good reason given how fast MMR caps out.

My train of thought was well ok, what if you made unhooked survivors inaccessible but they had to sit in a time out? But that's boring for the survivor. Ah, but we're in the serial killer game powered by the infinite sadism of an elder god. So what if being unhooked put you in a brief death trap scenario? Bonus points if hook 3 is an execution/inescapable trap/killer mori without occupying the killer. Maybe tie some gameplay outcomes to failure and success in the trap minigame, though the current system of each failure accelerating your demise(hook stat progress) works too.

Well, we are at the point where BHVR has to innovate in the formula or start over and redo core elements if they want to address the problem and the devs using hard control(Killer can't attack same player because they aren't accessible) works much better than soft control(Killer shouldn't attack same player because it's mean to try too hard to win.)

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Honestly, anything besides "sit there doing nothing on a hook until somebody pulls you off" has my vote

E: trying too hard to win isn't mean. It's more so the fact that doing that also actively means Survivors don't get to play the game. Not have a bad time, but straight up do not get to play.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 17, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I need to stop fearing p100 survivors...

most of the time this happens, they get downed and then after being unhooked completely give up and expect me to down and rehook them for the suicide and just leaving them on the floor gets them to d/c almost everytime lol.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I need to stop fearing p100 survivors...

most of the time this happens, they get downed and then after being unhooked completely give up and expect me to down and rehook them for the suicide and just leaving them on the floor gets them to d/c almost everytime lol.

P100 has been a thing for long enough that it's not really noteworthy anymore. If someone has a survivor main that they dump all their points into they'll get there eventually.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I think just no one is really playing or if they are, not paying much attention. I've been raking in the killer bloodpoints last few days too, playing hard cause I'm used to hard survivors, but every game it seemed i either won at 4 gens or got 1k with like 8 hooks. Not going out of my way to tunnel unless i have nothing better to do but still end up tunneling quite a bit as a result anyways because people seem to be playing real greedy. Lots of flashies, unsafe unhooks, yolo plays. Nowhere near as many 3/4 person swfs.

The internet vibe seemed to be kinda cold on wake, off the backs of nick cage/alien/chucky there's apparently a lot of hate towards ol Alan. I like remedy stuff and got enough auric to get him anyways but his perks are a wet fart so that won't push any dlc.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

OxMan posted:

I think just no one is really playing or if they are, not paying much attention. I've been raking in the killer bloodpoints last few days too, playing hard cause I'm used to hard survivors, but every game it seemed i either won at 4 gens or got 1k with like 8 hooks. Not going out of my way to tunnel unless i have nothing better to do but still end up tunneling quite a bit as a result anyways because people seem to be playing real greedy. Lots of flashies, unsafe unhooks, yolo plays. Nowhere near as many 3/4 person swfs.

No One Escape Death my beloved. It has saved me a few end-game kill. Just like spanish inquisition, no one except it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Floodkiller posted:

The only way I really see tunneling going away is if they let dead survivors keep playing the game and earning bloodpoints in some way until 8 hooks (or some other game end-state) happens.

Yeah, the problem is that these big pain points are just built into the core of what DBD is and you can't fix them with band-aids or new perks. You'd have to go back to redesign DBD from the ground up. Otherwise it will always be a game where the killer is under immense time pressure, and the best way to alleviate that pressure is to eliminate survivors from the game.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

L.U.I.G.I posted:

No One Escape Death my beloved. It has saved me a few end-game kill. Just like spanish inquisition, no one except it.

I was laughing when i saw otz tier list this time around because 90 percent of the killers i play for fun were A-B, and as a result of that i tend to go either hard on the no heals or a full endgame build because all the real strong chase killers (and even the new strong like xeno and chucky) basically finish most of their games at 5 gen and stomping gets old for me after a couple of matches.

On the no heals I've been running distressing/coulrophobia/sloppy b and SEPTIC TOUCH as my anti tunnelling perk, ensuring i can get a hit on the healer.

On wesker and oni i might as well be playing Plague or Legion, no one bothers healing until endgame. On oni it's especially hilarious because it basically always lets you save your special for whoever dares to heal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/bydaylightmemes/status/1747896336760905827?s=20

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Hey that's me with Baby boi Whesker!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Had a game recently where some genius decided to use object of obsession + blood amber key. Any time they used the key I got to see them as well. This seems like it defeats the entire purpose.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/BDisgusting/status/1748071388584243449?s=20

For the 2 of you still playing TCM.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Can't wait to see this game continue to gently caress up everything even more. Best part about it honestly

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
They had a Twitch thing today where they announced some changes I like. I still enjoy playing this game, I just don't have as much time as I used to.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Relyssa posted:

Had a game recently where some genius decided to use object of obsession + blood amber key. Any time they used the key I got to see them as well. This seems like it defeats the entire purpose.

Need to pair this with a username like "hey killer ;)"

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

Tiny Myers posted:

Need to pair this with a username like "hey killer ;)"

Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy
But here's my number, so call me, maybe

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Comfortador posted:

They had a Twitch thing today where they announced some changes I like. I still enjoy playing this game, I just don't have as much time as I used to.

The game is good, it's on the devs to not mess it up. They are stubborn about some stuff (danny, johnny, lobby dodging). They aren't planning to develop it long term. They want to it to be a "museum" game like F13

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

temple posted:

The game is good, it's on the devs to not mess it up. They are stubborn about some stuff (danny, johnny, lobby dodging). They aren't planning to develop it long term. They want to it to be a "museum" game like F13

If they added a customs mode it probably would go leaps and bounds for them.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Just had a game as Plague against someone named "Boon: Lesbianism" who was extremely excited by the lesbian flag charm on the hooks. Spawned in to see her tbagging and pointing to it over and over. :3:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I am a relatively new player. Only been playing since DECEMBER.

My favorite killers are plague, pinhead, and pyramid head.

I want to like Legion but I find their power lacking.

I'm bad at dealing with survivors who can loop really well so PH is great because I can put down trails that slow people down and if they try to drop a pallet on me I can sometimes land a hit with penance.

My favorite perks are hex : Plaything, Hex : Retribution, and Corrupt Intervention. I like plaything because it lets me be SNEAKY AS gently caress. Retribution means I still get value out of people cleansing my playthings. And CI is because it gives me a good period to set up and put some puke on the gens or whatever.

I'm very much looking forward to the patch and the gen changes. gently caress gen tapping. I want trail of torment to be worthwhile to run so I hope the perk isn't reset if they don't repair enough for the regression to end.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

khy posted:

I am a relatively new player. Only been playing since DECEMBER.

I'm bad at dealing with survivors who can loop really well so PH is great because I can put down trails that slow people down and if they try to drop a pallet on me I can sometimes land a hit with penance.

My favorite perks are hex : Plaything, Hex : Retribution, and Corrupt Intervention. I like plaything because it lets me be SNEAKY AS gently caress. Retribution means I still get value out of people cleansing my playthings. And CI is because it gives me a good period to set up and put some puke on the gens or whatever.

I'm very much looking forward to the patch and the gen changes. gently caress gen tapping. I want trail of torment to be worthwhile to run so I hope the perk isn't reset if they don't repair enough for the regression to end.

You should look for aura perks with Pyramid Head. I'm all Ears is great for when you're getting looped in tiles with tall walls. Nowhere to Hide, if it's ever reenabled, is really good on PH. Kick a gen, see where someone is hiding, blast them through the wall.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Medullah posted:

You should look for aura perks with Pyramid Head. I'm all Ears is great for when you're getting looped in tiles with tall walls. Nowhere to Hide, if it's ever reenabled, is really good on PH. Kick a gen, see where someone is hiding, blast them through the wall.

I want Nowhere to Hide, but I don't own knight yet. Hoping to get it from Shrine sometime or maybe pick up Knight if his chapter goes on sale again soon.

I'm all Ears is kinda... I dunno. I see people fine during the loops. It's mostly me wanting to find people outside of chases.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

khy posted:

I want Nowhere to Hide, but I don't own knight yet. Hoping to get it from Shrine sometime or maybe pick up Knight if his chapter goes on sale again soon.

I'm all Ears is kinda... I dunno. I see people fine during the loops. It's mostly me wanting to find people outside of chases.

Consider grabbing Xenomorph and unlocking Ultimate Weapon then. It's pretty much the top "find people wherever they are" perk right now.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pentamento pairs with Plaything like peanut butter and jelly. Highly recommend picking it up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rydiafan posted:

Pentamento pairs with Plaything like peanut butter and jelly. Highly recommend picking it up.

Yeah, I really don't recommend Plaything (or any other hook perk) with Pyramid Head though since it means you can't send them to cages when you need to.

Though pretty much every time I play him survivors avoid Torment like Neo.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Seconding this, Penti's biggest weakness is survivors not bothering to cleanse totems and plaything gives them a nice convenient reason to. I enjoy running plaything/penti on Pig to give the survivors an overwhelming amount of side objectives to do.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Relyssa posted:

Just had a game as Plague against someone named "Boon: Lesbianism" who was extremely excited by the lesbian flag charm on the hooks. Spawned in to see her tbagging and pointing to it over and over. :3:

:kimchi: Any time someone's hyping up my pride flags I give them a free pass, especially if they have the same flag. Life's too short to kill someone exposing their proverbial belly to you so they can say "YES YES YES LET'S GO LESBIANS"

On topic: I think I only posted this in the last thread so I'll say it again for the new thread. I was thinking again today about how Dwight looks a LOT like a butch lesbian.

Dwight Fairfield. Allison Bechdel. Spot the difference. Coincidence? I think not.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 20, 2024

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

khy posted:

Legion is very map dependent, since their power relies on chaining hits on survivors who are close or cornered. I also don't enjoy them much, for that reason, since your power explicitly does NOT help get the down and can often lead you on a wild goose chase.
Seems as though you enjoy good anti-loop killers (and plague who kind of turns off a health state and halves chases), so might I recommend Artist? (especially if you're looking to pick up Pentimento) She's a bit more cerebral in that you've gotta keep track of bird cooldowns and where/when to shoot vs. let die from being idle but playing her can give you a really good idea of how to track survivors across the map, which you can take into other killers. Plus all 3 of her perks are insane. Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance is possibly the best regression perk in the game, Pentimento is possibly the best SLOWDOWN in the game, and Grim Embrace on the public beta was completely nuts powerful so expect it to get toned down a bit but if it goes to live unchanged it'll be the second best gen slowdown.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I just want to make a rage statement for the record. If someone in your group went down magically, and is not letting you heal them. LEAVE THEM THE gently caress ALONE THEY HAVE PLOT TWIST.

I am so sick of morons not getting the loving hint.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

khy posted:

The trick to Legion is that Legion is loving awful for "winning" games but they're really good at ranking up. If you just want pips that is the character to play

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I had a do gen and get funny build: flash bang, blast mine, chemical trap and wiretap.

The killer apparently called it toxic (he never even kicked a Gen) and when the game was over slugged me and watched me bleed out.

I got one chemical trap off the whole game, a tiny bit of wiretap value, no blast mines, and no flash bang blinds. I did run him a decent bit but we still lost and he still decided to bleed me out instead of hooking me.

But I guess slugging and bleeding out is a part of the game so nothing wrong here...

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

khy posted:

The game recently got its old chapters consolidated into basically half off so that can be a thrifty way to fill in some old slots. The big dbd sales are usually halloween and Christmas when most everything but the newest chapter is 50% off. If you enjoy the game and play a lot, you can always just buy the original killers/survivors with shards if you decide you're in it for the long haul and only spend aurics on sale killers to maximize your bang for the buck. It can also be worth saving your shards to buy everything you can get your hands on in a Halloween sale, especially as july-august hit. In ancient times they would do discounts on auric purchases but they no longer do that. They DO give out items now, fwiw, sometimes with your auric cell purchase so you may wish to wait for a time they're doing that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phoix posted:

The trick to Legion is that Legion is loving awful for "winning" games but they're really good at ranking up. If you just want pips that is the character to play

Legion IS pretty good to train yourself on how to out-loop survivors because God knows you'll need to be if you ever want any downs.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You also have to be willing to recognize when survivors are too spread out for chain Frenzies, cancel out of it and just double hit them instead. It works more often than you'd think since survivors are expecting you to Frenzy hit them and flee across the map (a chunk of the time after a Frenzy hit they'll literally just stop and start mending right in front of you)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Comfortador posted:

I just want to make a rage statement for the record. If someone in your group went down magically, and is not letting you heal them. LEAVE THEM THE gently caress ALONE THEY HAVE PLOT TWIST.

I am so sick of morons not getting the loving hint.

This is a big part of the reason I stopped using plot twist. Between teammates not getting the hint and the occasional deerstalker enjoyer it backfires more than it helps.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
When will the ptb go live?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kwolok posted:

When will the ptb go live?

It went live on the 9th.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Relyssa posted:

It went live on the 9th.

I mean when will it be released to normal game, when does the ptb changes come to the live game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kwolok posted:

I mean when will it be released to normal game, when does the ptb changes come to the live game.

1/30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

curiousTerminal posted:

Legion is very map dependent, since their power relies on chaining hits on survivors who are close or cornered. I also don't enjoy them much, for that reason, since your power explicitly does NOT help get the down and can often lead you on a wild goose chase.
Seems as though you enjoy good anti-loop killers (and plague who kind of turns off a health state and halves chases), so might I recommend Artist? (especially if you're looking to pick up Pentimento) She's a bit more cerebral in that you've gotta keep track of bird cooldowns and where/when to shoot vs. let die from being idle but playing her can give you a really good idea of how to track survivors across the map, which you can take into other killers. Plus all 3 of her perks are insane. Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance is possibly the best regression perk in the game, Pentimento is possibly the best SLOWDOWN in the game, and Grim Embrace on the public beta was completely nuts powerful so expect it to get toned down a bit but if it goes to live unchanged it'll be the second best gen slowdown.

I like plague because survivors are hosed no matter what they do. Don't heal at fountains? Then you're basically 'exposed' all map long.

Heal at fountains? You just gave me a wonderful ranged attack!

Try to do both and heal sporadically? Even better because now I have the ranged attack AND you're broken!

Streamers call her vommy mommy but I call her "Fun as poo poo".

I'm a big Remedy fan in general though, Alan Wake and Control are fantastic and I'm actually going to buy Alan Wake because I'm weak willed.