Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Unlocked the Vilkas without even meaning to :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
American BBs are in a really bad place because they've got both obscenely long reloads and inexplicably exposed magazines, so players who know what they're doing can blast you to pieces in just a few salvos while your crew of geriatrics slooooooooooowly hoist the next shell into the breach. Against people who don't know what they're doing, which admittedly are most War Thunder players, they're fine - but it does really suck to spawn in and get killed before you can even shoot off a second salvo, which tends to happen every third match.

On the other hand the Des Moines and Newport News are extremely fun even if they are made out of paper, so it evens out.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Even coastal balance is hosed up, if you end facing a Pr. 206 you might as well not spawn in any small boats because it will kill you in 3 seconds or less, no exaggeration at all.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

taking my union mandated 10 minute break between loading shells

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Even coastal balance is hosed up, if you end facing a Pr. 206 you might as well not spawn in any small boats because it will kill you in 3 seconds or less, no exaggeration at all.

Most of the 4.3 Cold War coastals will incinerate each other in about a second of fire--it's even more a case of whoever shoots first wins than high tier tanks are.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I got the murderbus today and it's been everything I wanted it to be, so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8F-VbphCcE

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Got a Tobii eye tracker 5 and liking it so far, though the software is poo poo and their instructions for War Thunder are garbage and didn't work for me, vjoy never picked up any input from their app and their app didn't have a vjoy config option their docs say should be there. It also didn't just work with the game directly either.

Got FaceTrackNoIR and the Tobii plugin and that work out of the box after inverting pitch and yaw. Feels about as good as Track IR 5 used to, but it's been 5+ years since I used Track IR so can't say for sure how much better that worked.

Cleaned out my office 6 months ago or so and finally threw away Track IR because I hadn't used it for anything in years, so of course 6 months later I'm looking to use it again. Can't believe they haven't updated the hardware for that since 2009 or whatever.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

RandomBlue posted:

Cleaned out my office 6 months ago or so and finally threw away Track IR because I hadn't used it for anything in years, so of course 6 months later I'm looking to use it again. Can't believe they haven't updated the hardware for that since 2009 or whatever.

i just had to replace my ancient trackir 5 cause it was all scratched up so it kept thinking there were multiple dots. i probably could have replaced the cover with a floppy disk or tried to buff it out or something, but i ended up ordering the track ir 5 clone from aliexpress with their battery pack proclip version. literally identical, works with the trackir software, and is a fraction of the price. the battery powered pro clip is also far less of a pain in the rear end

natural point selling old hardware at the original price is criminal, so if anyone wants a headtracking system you can get the same thing with an improved pro clip direct from china. $100-110ish from a bunch of sellers

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

When I tried to go to their website re ently it was down so uh.... are they still even in business?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Man it's hard to get used to not moving my head again in dogfights.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Man, once the Mig-23MLA *clicks* in your brain it freaking rocks. Helps that I put a some effort into cleaning up my radar controls.

Last game I got 6 air kills and 100K in SL for one RB match. Also pretty nice to confirm that the R-60MKs will slave to radar locks.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Xerxes17 posted:

When I tried to go to their website re ently it was down so uh.... are they still even in business?

yeah they make optitrack motion capture systems. trackir is like a side hustle

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Man the economy definitely sucks balls now compared to how it used to be. I paid for premium and I'm generally placing in the top 3 pretty frequently, winning more than I lose, not paying for repairs or ammo or advanced crew training and I'm still struggling to keep up with being able to pay for planes I unlock (and the required basic crew training). I don't remember having this problem when I played years ago.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

RandomBlue posted:

Man the economy definitely sucks balls now compared to how it used to be. I paid for premium and I'm generally placing in the top 3 pretty frequently, winning more than I lose, not paying for repairs or ammo or advanced crew training and I'm still struggling to keep up with being able to pay for planes I unlock (and the required basic crew training). I don't remember having this problem when I played years ago.

This is the buffed economy, it was even worse before the recent uproar

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

RandomBlue posted:

I dunno, it feels better to me. The economy was the major reason I stayed away from higher tier air for so long. I'm not particularly skilled, and finishing missions with a negative SL because of repair costs, even with premium, really hurt. I'm better at ground, but I'd still occasionally have negative balances after a bad mission. Now I have enough to generally afford whatever I'm researching, plus some extra to consider experting crews at higher tier. I'll also bring out more vehicles during a match.

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 13, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Played this for about ten hours when it came out, decided to give it a go again in 2024 and got Gaijin to unfreeze my account. I feel like have a vague understanding of what's going on as far as the actual gameplay goes but there are SO MANY VEHICLES and it's kinda overwhelming.

I just want to end up flying an A-10 and doing BRRRRRRRRRRRRT runs on people dangit

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

RandomBlue posted:

You don't have to buy vehicles you unlock unless you want one thats further down the same progression in the tree. If you unlock vehicles but have no intention of using them any time soon you can just ignore them and go on to research other stuff. I've researched loads of vehicles but haven't bought them because I'm either not interested or am waiting to put an actual lineup together.

Of course if you plan to unlock, buy and spade every vehicle in the game thats different, but you're going to be broke for a while if thats how you plan to do it. You're probably not going to have a whole lot of fun either.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BMan posted:

This is the buffed economy, it was even worse before the recent uproar

It was way worse.

I’m having little trouble keeping a 2-3M SL buffer now, with premium.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You can get by just playing with premium, you can get SL rich by having a couple of premium planes you enjoy flying (I really like the Mustang) and through remembering you have boosters and wagers.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
yeah the economy as a whole is so much better than the way it was a few years ago

if you're playing ec sim though where you pay for each flight out and the rewards are capped, then things haven't actually improved and may have gotten worse. gaijin has constantly been at war with the ec sim economy in order to compensate for the bomber spam and multi-boxers

sim tank economy is great though, like the rest of the battle modes

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6adLnyXs384

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Well I was having a great time schooling big cats in my Sherman but the game decided to keep throwing me into full uptiers in long wide open maps non stop for three days so I'm back in my Panther. Sure do miss that stabiliser and roof mounted 50.

Been having a thing lately where I'm suddenly losing track of planes I'm diving on, and I'm not sure if its because while I'm playing at a much higher resolution and framerate now its on a smaller screen, or something else. Like the way the game is rendering things is just making it really hard to spot, or maybe my faculties aren't what they used to be.
Like this one from the other day.

https://i.imgur.com/ugX6VN0.mp4

Even looking back at the replay once the contrails vanish I cannot find that fucker anywhere and was only able to locate and attack them again because of sound more than anything.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah there's some funky blending with that haze/fog

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Gaijin's been heavy on the fog lately, I suppose they want to bring all the snipers down a notch.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I managed to rope-a-dope a Mig-15 into lawndarting into a mountain today, then (because I'm a stupid idiot who crowed about it in /all) I immediately after did the same thing. I love this dumb game sometimes.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I entered the hell zone of 7.7-8.0 ground with both USA and Japan. It's been absolutely awful until I unlocked the better ammo, even then, any uptier is a death sentence. (Also, the complete lack of CAS for Japan sucks. I'm still using the B7A2)

So I started on a new country to take some of the frustration away. Germany specifically. Made it into 3.3 this last weekend.

Goddamn that Puma fucks, I'm just doing wide flanks and catching people in the sides or rear and getting 4-5 kills each time.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble with the fog, thought I was losing the plot for a bit.

Action-Bastard posted:

I entered the hell zone of 7.7-8.0 ground with both USA and Japan. It's been absolutely awful until I unlocked the better ammo, even then, any uptier is a death sentence. (Also, the complete lack of CAS for Japan sucks. I'm still using the B7A2)

So I started on a new country to take some of the frustration away. Germany specifically. Made it into 3.3 this last weekend.

Goddamn that Puma fucks, I'm just doing wide flanks and catching people in the sides or rear and getting 4-5 kills each time.

Germany has some fantastic line ups, especially at BR 3.3-3.7 and 5.3-6.7. Unfortunately what often happens when people start playing Germany is they make a beeline straight for the Tiger 1, make a post online along the lines of "Finally unlocked this beast/Finally got my Tiger!", promptly get blown to bits over and over, then make a follow up post complaining that Gaijin did the Tiger dirty when the Tiger E is easily one of the best tanks in the game.

If you like being a sneaky bastard I suggest giving their casemate assault gun line a go, StuG IIIs and the later Jagdpanzers are a lot of fun if you're good at ambushes.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
the hetzer is great to play, and as a bonus, its not even really german

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Psycho Society posted:

the hetzer is great to play, and as a bonus, its not even really german

The Hetzer is absurdly good. It’s easily my favorite casemate in the game.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Ho-Ri Production is the best case TD.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah I have the Ho-Ri in my lineup right now and it does surprisingly well. Wish the gun had a little more pen at longer distances though.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The Ho-Ri Production is the best case TD.

I’d vote CA Lorraine, the TD that can drift to line up targets.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I do better in the Jagdpanzer than I ever do in the Panther or Tiger. It's a delightful machine.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I’d vote CA Lorraine, the TD that can drift to line up targets.

Another excellent choice, imo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Goddamn the Pvkv IV really is a miserable vehicle. I don't know why I wasted the money training a crew into it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'll take a new, unique vehicle that's bad over another copy-paste Sherman or Crusader

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Farecoal posted:

I'll take a new, unique vehicle that's bad over another copy-paste Sherman or Crusader

Sounds like a gap the Bob Semple could fill.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Collateral Damage posted:

Goddamn the Pvkv IV really is a miserable vehicle. I don't know why I wasted the money training a crew into it.

It’s getting lowered to 3.0 Br on next patch which should be helpful.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

That's the one with the world's slowest turret slew, right?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://forum.warthunder.com/t/planned-battle-rating-changes-for-january-2024/67713

BR changes. Welcome to the age of 12.7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
France got brutalised, most of the 7.7 lineup to 8.0:( Plus pretty much everything else going up too.