Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Some runs in Against the Storm are set up to just be a 40 minute slog.

Starting out: your people are starving!

First glade: no food
Second glade: no food
Third glade: no food
Fourth glade: no food
Fifth glade: no food

At a certain point I'm wondering, am I a bad player? Is this something a better player could have overcome? I've just been watching the eight or so villagers that can be sustained through the food they collect from the trees they chop down while the Queen's Impatience grows and grows, and I'm... I honestly wonder, is this just an unbeatable situation? RNG has a lot to do with it; if I hacked into another glade there might have been food. I just hate that the game presented me with a situation that is, I think, a coin toss as to whether or not it is winnable, no matter how skilled I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Instant death pits / spikes are a real drag (blasphemous 1 is particularly bad about this).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

credburn posted:

At a certain point I'm wondering, am I a bad player? Is this something a better player could have overcome? I've just been watching the eight or so villagers that can be sustained through the food they collect from the trees they chop down while the Queen's Impatience grows and grows, and I'm... I honestly wonder, is this just an unbeatable situation? RNG has a lot to do with it; if I hacked into another glade there might have been food. I just hate that the game presented me with a situation that is, I think, a coin toss as to whether or not it is winnable, no matter how skilled I am.

I love Against the Storm but yeah sometimes it just decides certain resources are gonna be rare as hell/in the most farflung glades from where you started.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I really liked Diablo 4 but it's such an insanely appalling move to make it online only even in non seasonal campaigns.

Yeah, that was a really weird move. It actually has a surprisingly good main campaign/story, but turning it into a pseudo MMO where you constantly run across other players absolutely didn't improve the experience at all. It puts a real damper on the whole "your character is the only one in a unique position to bring down the big bad devil" thing when you come across a dozen other Chosen Ones on the way to the blacksmith. Doubly so since it also makes the towns take ages to load in.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 11:30 on Jan 15, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It also killed any chance of me believing them when they said it was not a GaaS micromacrotransactions-fest

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

credburn posted:

You need to start shoving all those non-food materials into trade packs and selling them to traders for food and gold.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Also just straight up murder a trader if things are that bad.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I'm hopelessly addicted to Hardspace Shipbreaker but the "plot" and world building is just intrusive. Being forced to listen to my workmates backstory, constant reminders about how comically evil my employer is, long text dumps via email and data drives about history, having go through the tedious wake-up sequence before each shift - if Portal was like this, the level transitions would be several minutes long and feature a union rep hectoring about how unsafe the sentry robots were before veering into a history of Aperture Science.

I'm unsure about the game value of the oxygen, fuel and tool maintainance as well, which seem to complicate things rather than make it more interesting, but at least you have agency over those.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah those are blatantly just a thing so there can be an upgrade tree. I like that you hit enough oxygen capacity to make it a single shift on the second-to-last upgrade node. Though maybe the last one is so you can also make it a cutscene.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah those are blatantly just a thing so there can be an upgrade tree. I like that you hit enough oxygen capacity to make it a single shift on the second-to-last upgrade node. Though maybe the last one is so you can also make it a cutscene.

The only thing I can see that being useful for is like if you reel in a door panel that shatters your helmet, maybe give you a few more seconds of panic before you asphyxiate

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bossy lady posted:

Instant death pits / spikes are a real drag (blasphemous 1 is particularly bad about this).

Yeah, the platforming over death pits was what caused me to drop Blasphemous.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
GTFO is a quasi-L4D clone that focuses way more on stealth and tactics than zombie murdering. It's not a great game to begin with, but it had a free weekend recently, so a couple of friends picked it up and we played a few levels. We failed one level after 40 minutes because the game gave us exactly one ammo box in the entire first half of the map. Item drops are randomized and only appear in lockers. We had twelve auto-lockpicks, but absolutely no ammo.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I've been playing through Jedi:Survivor and between the godawful screen tearing and generally being kind of over Star Wars I was struggling to see it through and then I got to the -lategame spoiler - Darth Vader fight and just immediately turned it off. I can't believe they went back to that well again, after having him show up at the end of the first game.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, the platforming over death pits was what caused me to drop Blasphemous.

You’ll be glad to know there was an entire DLC dedicated to time attack platforming and it was even worse than it sounds.

Yes i did the entire thing,no i don’t like blasphemous anymore either.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's always the move. Make a 2d Metroidvania soulslike, put difficult platforming in it. Why? gently caress you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got a laugh in blasphemous 2 the first time I fell onto spikes, saw an achievement appear in the corner assuming it was one of those “die for the first time” achievements, and then reappeared on the platform I’d fallen from to learn that spikes aren’t an instant kill anymore and the achievement was actually for surviving them.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

You’ll be glad to know there was an entire DLC dedicated to time attack platforming and it was even worse than it sounds.

Yes i did the entire thing,no i don’t like blasphemous anymore either.

I don't mean to be rude. I'm honestly curious.

Why did you finish it if you hated it enough that it made you dislike the game?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Philippe posted:

That's always the move. Make a 2d Metroidvania soulslike, put difficult platforming in it. Why? gently caress you.

the answer to this in hollow knight was "why? because we actually have good enough controls that it's fun"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

bossy lady posted:

Same reason I read your entire posts pal!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just beat Alan Wake 2. I enjoyed it enough, but it’s pretty buggy.

There’s a mechanic in which you go to a mind palace and can arrange your thoughts on a detective evidence board. It’s pretty simple and mostly just serves to break up the action, and most of it isn’t required to make progress. Making all the papers go in the right place satisfied some part of my money brain. Everything just has one specific place where it goes, and your character won’t put it in the wrong place. Sometimes you find a piece that requires you to place something on the board before it, and it’ll have a “For later” until you arrange the previous evidence. I ran into a bug where five pieces never got the “For later” removed, even after the end of the game, and it bugged the poo poo out of me the whole way.

I also ran into a bug at the very beginning where a cutscene that’s supposed to happen you pick up a piece of paper didn’t, so I was locked from progressing until I reloaded the previous autosave.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Playing through Coral Island, which is basically just Stardew Valley but it's tropical. That's not a mark against it IMO, it's a very good game with a bit more going on compared to vanilla Stardew, and a couple minor concessions/QOL things that I love.

2 things that are minor annoyances:

There's 2 different types of errands people will put on the notice board: Urgent, and Regular. Regular will basically just say "hey, plant this crop TODAY and you'll have enough time to hand me it and turn in this quest" while the Urgent errands are "hey, I need you to bring me this crop in 2 days" which may as well say "hey, I need you to bring me this crop IMMEDIATELY" because unless you're already growing that crop, there's no possible way to fulfill that request. My very first Errand that I grabbed form the Notice Board was a Regular Errand, and every single one since then has been Urgent. Nothing like checking the Notice Board on Day 1 of Summer, and seeing a request from somebody saying "URGENT: BRING ME TWO PAPAYAS" when a Papaya tree takes 10 days to grow in Summer. :geno: Repeat this for every other type of crop, and that's been my whole experience so far. Especially if it's one of those crops that takes 12 days to grow, and I see 2 separate Urgent Errands appear to deliver one of them before Day 12 even hits.

The second thing ties into the first thing: sometimes NPCs just gently caress off someplace, so you can't even turn in their urgent quest. I got accepted into the Band of Smiles (monster hunting guild) and took my first request from their Cave-centric Notice Board in their headquarters, which was an Urgent Delivery for 6 pieces of coal. Sure, no prob, I have that on me. It said to turn the quest in to Jio Dan, who runs the Band of Smiles shop, within 2 days. Again, no prob, I was just looking at the shop, I'll turn around and walk 5 feet to drop this off... except Jio Dan's NPC model isn't there. :psyduck: His face pops up when you use the shop, but he doesn't exist. He's nowhere on the map. You cannot talk to him, despite taking his urgent request. Some people on Steam mentioned he can just disappear like that, but if you talk to him again you might still be able to turn the quest in. I checked the map every morning, noon, and night, looking for his name in the BOS base, the house next to it, the mine, anywhere, and he finally appeared on the map again after five days. And no, I could not turn in his urgent quest.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dr Christmas posted:

There’s a mechanic in which you go to a mind palace and can arrange your thoughts on a detective evidence board. It’s pretty simple and mostly just serves to break up the action, and most of it isn’t required to make progress. Making all the papers go in the right place satisfied some part of my money brain. Everything just has one specific place where it goes, and your character won’t put it in the wrong place. Sometimes you find a piece that requires you to place something on the board before it, and it’ll have a “For later” until you arrange the previous evidence. I ran into a bug where five pieces never got the “For later” removed, even after the end of the game, and it bugged the poo poo out of me the whole way.

I also ran into a bug at the very beginning where a cutscene that’s supposed to happen you pick up a piece of paper didn’t, so I was locked from progressing until I reloaded the previous autosave.

Current theory is the For Laters have to do with DLC because everyone has that

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm sure I've bitched about this before, but I was replaying Elden Ring and I completely forgot about the loving invisible sorcerers in Sellia. No, no, it's fine, Fromsoft, I don't need to see the enemies as they launch their attacks because I was a butterfly's fart too far to make them reveal themselves.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The back and forthing in Skyward Sword is killing me. It's like they heard the complaints about Windwaker and decided to make travel slower, but also add in multiple transition areas you have to go through each time

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Skyward sword was created by the Phantom hourglass and spirit tracks team and that should make it all make sense

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

bossy lady posted:

Because i wanted the reward (a different colour skin i think).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm playing right now and got a bug where some collectibles just stay up the map after I've collected them. Really triggering my OCD.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Meowywitch posted:

Skyward sword was created by the Phantom hourglass and spirit tracks team and that should make it all make sense

I remember liking those but I couldn't tell you a single thing about either.
Skyward isn't even a bad game at all, but I'm definitely not going to get all the heart pieces or finish all the side stuff, or probably ever replay it again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Spirit Tracks had one of the most bafflimg design decisions to me - taking a series that's always revolved around exploration, and making its overworld into a predefined set of railroad tracks. I beat it once when it came out, but never managed to get through it again because that limitation bored me, and dealing with enemy trains on top of that was just too annoying to bother with. Frustrating, because it felt like the dungeons were solid and a step up from Phantom Hourglass.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Has any video game developer ever actually BEEN in a swamp? I swear to god, they're not mazey hellholes full of poison damage irl, they're extremely lively places with tons of pretty stuff. I'm tired of swamp levels/areas in video games inevitably being the worst part. Give me a gorgeous marsh with lots of cranes and babies.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I like the swamp area from Dungeon Siege. It was swampy but didn't make you move slow.

Champions of Norrath was a really great PS2 Diablo-like set in the Everquest world. It had a level that took place underwater. loving hell, obnoxious as poo poo, it was just like being in a level on land but everything you did was at half speed :negative:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Arivia posted:

Has any video game developer ever actually BEEN in a swamp? I swear to god, they're not mazey hellholes full of poison damage irl, they're extremely lively places with tons of pretty stuff. I'm tired of swamp levels/areas in video games inevitably being the worst part. Give me a gorgeous marsh with lots of cranes and babies.

The bayou in Mafia 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 are very pretty

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are both dogshit. the hub dungeon in PH was one of the worst ideas

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The swampy areas of Vvardenfell in Morrowind are one of the most pleasant places in the game.

That being said that's mostly because they're being compared with ash covered volcanic wasteland.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

credburn posted:

I like the swamp area from Dungeon Siege. It was swampy but didn't make you move slow.

Champions of Norrath was a really great PS2 Diablo-like set in the Everquest world. It had a level that took place underwater. loving hell, obnoxious as poo poo, it was just like being in a level on land but everything you did was at half speed :negative:

The Atlantis section of Marvel Ultimate Alliance is the worst because of underwater bullshit.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Ok I just got to the bit in control where you have to do office poo poo this sucks

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Spirit Tracks had one of the most bafflimg design decisions to me - taking a series that's always revolved around exploration, and making its overworld into a predefined set of railroad tracks. I beat it once when it came out, but never managed to get through it again because that limitation bored me, and dealing with enemy trains on top of that was just too annoying to bother with. Frustrating, because it felt like the dungeons were solid and a step up from Phantom Hourglass.

Every time I got one of those upgrades to my train, I thought that FOR SURE this is the one that will let me attack/kill those Demon Trains.

Nope. AFAIK, you never can, you ALWAYS just have to outrun them, which adds a weird Pac-Man/maze factor into getting from Point A to Point B on the overworld.

So, like you said, you're LITERALLY stuck on rails...but then have to often go way out of your way to go to other rails to get back to your original rail because of those loving Demon Trains.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DrBouvenstein posted:

Every time I got one of those upgrades to my train, I thought that FOR SURE this is the one that will let me attack/kill those Demon Trains.

Nope. AFAIK, you never can, you ALWAYS just have to outrun them, which adds a weird Pac-Man/maze factor into getting from Point A to Point B on the overworld.

Playing like Pac-Man would've been better. At least in Pac-Man if you're going towards a ghost you can...turn around and go the other way.

I liked the game in general but gently caress, getting around the world map sucked hard.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, all of that is stuff that I think I'd be fine with in its own separate area or as its own game. But not slapped on top of a Zelda game as the required traversal mechanic. Then it just feels like it's constantly getting in the way of me doing what I actually want to do, and I get tired of that very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Arivia posted:

The swamp in DKC2 was lovely