Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Naas Botha (perhaps the best kicker the game has ever seen?) was a back-up kicker for the Dallas Cowboys for a few seasons in the 80s. He also went back to rugby. He was an incredible kicker, both off the tee and out of the hand. Terrible to play against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Is LRZ going to be available for the 6Ns?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

do you mean would or wouldn’t be shocked? because corner was my first guess, he’s not much smaller than Sherman and taller than Revis

e: read his weight wrong

Not fully jokingly: White cornerbacks are already an endangered species (with the University of Iowa practically acting as a game reserve for the species), a white Welsh former rugby player coming in to play corner? The odds are low. Playing the deep safety is closest to fullback in rugby union, so would be an easier transition.

He might take to it and even have good enough hands to play on offense, but I’m not betting the monthly house payment on it.

therattle posted:

Naas Botha (perhaps the best kicker the game has ever seen?) was a back-up kicker for the Dallas Cowboys for a few seasons in the 80s. He also went back to rugby. He was an incredible kicker, both off the tee and out of the hand. Terrible to play against.

The best non-American converts to gridiron right now are either enormous Pacific Islanders converting to the lines, or former Aussie Rules players turning into punters.

edogawa rando posted:

Is LRZ going to be available for the 6Ns?

Nope!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/willgkelleher/status/1747265887898681679

Interesting.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

This video is probably the best explanation about how it works given by I guess the biggest success to ever come out of that program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox9Gy19v_5I

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
The biggest hurdle will be picking up the calls and plays that other guys will have been used to since they were kids. He's physically gifted to do it, its whether or not he can overcome the mental hurdle of learning an entirely new sport and calls in 6 months or so.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I can't see how he could be much of a factor reading the game on Defense, and his whole hype is being an absolute terror with ball in hand, but then he doesn't fit into any Offensive archetypes in American football - too slight for TE, too green to pick up WR play and probably a bit too gangly to be a RB.

I'd love to see him prove me wrong but I'm thinking this young, handsome, super talented TikTok star might just be going to America for other reasons - a Netflix documentary about his transition would do crazy numbers surely?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I can't see how he could be much of a factor reading the game on Defense, and his whole hype is being an absolute terror with ball in hand, but then he doesn't fit into any Offensive archetypes in American football - too slight for TE, too green to pick up WR play and probably a bit too gangly to be a RB.

I'd love to see him prove me wrong but I'm thinking this young, handsome, super talented TikTok star might just be going to America for other reasons - a Netflix documentary about his transition would do crazy numbers surely?

In Wales maybe. Netflix chasing that lucrative Welsh rugby-loving market.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

True, it might make a load of money and tbh, I'm fine with that. The guy's career will be short either way so if he can make bank and retire relatively early without his brain being mush, good for him.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

therattle posted:

In Wales maybe. Netflix chasing that lucrative Welsh rugby-loving market.

Netflix obsession with american football docs + current hype over welcome to Wrexham = algorithm go brrrrrr

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, there's a documentary coming out on Netflix about last year's 6N. I'm sure that won't be a sensationalist sack of nonsense.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Joe Schmidt's been confirmed as Wallabies coach.

I can't imagine he'd do any worse than Eddie.

https://twitter.com/wallabies/status/1748150855705239847

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

edogawa rando posted:

Joe Schmidt's been confirmed as Wallabies coach.

I can't imagine he'd do any worse than Eddie.

https://twitter.com/wallabies/status/1748150855705239847

I’d imagine he’d do considerably better. I hope he does (but not too well)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dunno if I've said it here previously, so I might as well say it again now.

Seing how the Stade v Stormers game had a bit of a farce over the uncontested scrum laws, it should be stated that those laws really should be removed from the laws of the game.

Any law that has the threat to punish players and teams for having the temerity, the sheer gall to *checks notes* get injured requiring golden oldies scrums is loving stupid. It's pointlessly cruel and unnecessarily punitive. The game is complicated enough as it is, it doesn't need a law adding to the complexity, that threatens to punishment for injury inherent in its design.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/22/owen-farrell-is-joining-racing-92-on-a-two-year-deal-french-club-confirm

Well, that's confirmed then. Going to be an odd six nations to watch this year - so many of the familiar faces will be gone, replaced with kids who in some cases, played tiny person rugby with some of my kids.

Additionally - I know the general feeling in this thread is at best apathetic to squidge rugby (though to be honest I thought he might be a goon) - but he's got a pretty interesting discussion on LRZ to the NFL - but you do have to sit through a squarespace advert to hear a chunk of it. Apparently this has been his dream, so he's off to chase it. Fair play.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

JoeSchmoe posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/22/owen-farrell-is-joining-racing-92-on-a-two-year-deal-french-club-confirm

Well, that's confirmed then. Going to be an odd six nations to watch this year - so many of the familiar faces will be gone, replaced with kids who in some cases, played tiny person rugby with some of my kids.

Additionally - I know the general feeling in this thread is at best apathetic to squidge rugby (though to be honest I thought he might be a goon) - but he's got a pretty interesting discussion on LRZ to the NFL - but you do have to sit through a squarespace advert to hear a chunk of it. Apparently this has been his dream, so he's off to chase it. Fair play.

Yeah, a Japanese club offered LRZ almost double what he'll probably make, at best, with whichever NFL franchise he's going to. He's still young, so assuming he doesn't get hosed up chasing his handegg dreams, he'll still likely have a long career with Wales to come back to at some stage.

Re: squidge, yeah, just a few things started to bother me about him.

1. His constant harping on about Sevu Reece. Yeah, the assault charges aren't great, but I don't think it's entirely fair to then continuously dismiss the efforts he has made to, in his words, "become a better person." At a certain stage, I find it particularly grating. Like, this isn't a Tony Veitch, Chris Brown case where he's harped on about how, if you really think about it, he's the real victim here, and it's everyone fault but his own and how dare you accuse me of being violent, I'll loving beat the poo poo out of you for doing so. Shannon Frizell though, yeah gently caress that guy. He deserves all the scorn and derision he gets.

2. In the first round of his podcast that he does with his brother, where they watched every game at the 2011 RWC, he cracked jokes about Guildford's addiction issues. Who the gently caress does that?

3. He's still susceptible to the "a ref carded an All Black so he's done a good job" chestnut. During the second Lions test of 2017, he praised Garces for sending off SBW. OK yeah, he drove his shoulder right into Anthony Watson's head, so fair enough. Garces could even be heard saying to Read that he has to "protect the player." No argument there. In the second half, he watched Mako Vunipola drive his shoulder into Beauden Barrett's head, and decided that was only worth a yellow. Any referee that does a "good job" should be applying the law to both teams consistently, and I don't quite see how that was the case here. The judiciary that failed to cite the guy after the match should have been raked over the coals too - and the appointed panel's idiocy regarded Owen Farrell recently was one of the least surprising things, frankly. I don't think a "but the interpretations at the time" is a valid argument either, when Sekope Kepu did the same thing in a test against Scotland in the Autumn internationals that same year and got sent off and given an 8 week ban.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
I understand that he feels he needs to use his platform to promote the beliefs and ideals he cares about, but he shoehorns it into every video like some sort of moral crusader. Ironically it's the same thing he constantly rags on Israel Folau about.

I think he has decided to go down the entertainment route, over the analysis, and the in-jokes and preachy stuff is obviously what his patreons want so fair play to him. The moral smugness is really grating though.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

squidge rugby talks too fast.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
He’s annoying but some of the analysis is pretty interesting.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rebels are going into voluntary administration.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think Aus are lucky to get Schmidt. He’s a very good coach.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Squidge is fine, his analysis is solid, even Rassie gave him a nod about it.

Hot take: gently caress domestic abusers. Maybe don't beat your partner if you don't want people to call you a prick when you have a prestigious job repping your country even after doing it.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

allez les blues!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Would’ve liked to end the half double digits up still, but if you’d have offered me Ireland up a try and a man at the half, and having France on le pie derriere most of the half, I’d have taken it in a heartbeat.

EDIT: and here I was worried, that’s how you start a half!

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 2, 2024

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Feel like that next Irish penalty is gonna make it 14-14 and the game will improve for it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Guess they didn't need that oval office sexton after all

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Total Meatlove posted:

Feel like that next Irish penalty is gonna make it 14-14 and the game will improve for it

Well, yes and no…

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Hot take: gently caress domestic abusers. Maybe don't beat your partner if you don't want people to call you a prick when you have a prestigious job repping your country even after doing it.

On the other hand, I'm not comfortable with equating someone like Sevu Reece, who has acknowledged his wrongdoing, appears to be genuinely remorseful and has done everything asked of him to address what he's done, with unrepentant shitbags like Shannon Frizell or Byron Kelleher.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I tuned out of rugby for a break after being all in for the WC. A little surprised by how little turnover both these teams have but it makes sense, they both look really strong. Ireland is still composed as hell and have the game figured out. Impressive performance

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Doubled up France in France. Gwan Ireland!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Not entirely unexpected. France did well to hold on and stay within a score going into half time, but losing a tight forward was always going to affect the team in the second half. As soon as Willemse left, they were going to start leaking points in the final quarter.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

French locks and red cards, name a more iconic duo. Though impressive to get the Yahtzee of cards in one game.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

forza italia!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Excited to spend the first half not knowing who the hell half the England team are

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Tuned in in time to hear the Italian anthem and did a lol when I remembered the World Cup anthems. lol

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Italy look sharp, can't wait for the crushing collapse in 2nd half.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

lol loving hell

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

🤌🤌🤌

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Great try.

Adbot