Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure what the implications of being colourblind are because I have no loving idea what I'm looking at.
That's an excellent point for accessibility.

Fortunately their stupidity knows no bounds, so there are plenty of other examples this week, like knowing what clothes are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure what the implications of being colourblind are because I have no loving idea what I'm looking at.

You're looking at two colours in a gradient, a spectrum if you will.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Flux Wildly posted:

Be interesting to see who they parachute into Hackney

She's a TERF who has already been suspended from the party

e: oops, I misread, That's a council candidate

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Hey wait, does this work?

It's that, but red-orange-green. Probably the worst choice for making that point.

fuctifino posted:

She's a TERF who has already been suspended from the party

e: oops, I misread, That's a council candidate
Turn up at local meetings and demand to know if she believes in orange.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 17, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Fortunately their stupidity knows no bounds, so there are plenty of other examples this week, like knowing what clothes are.

loving hell, there's stupid and then there's not knowing what a dress is

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

So if overseas citizens can vote now, what constituency does their vote count for? Last known address?

Yup, last consistituency they were registered. loving stupid idea.

Flux Wildly posted:

Missed that about Duffield but depressingly on-brand.

Be interesting to see who they parachute into Hackney

Assuming Paul Mason has already run and been rejected

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can see there's a gradient but I can't tell what the colours in the gradient are.

I always have trouble explaining it but it's like, you know how blurry vision blurs the edges of things? Well colourblindness blurs the colours of things. I have low colour acuity centered around the red/green bit of the spectrum but it extends to everything to a degree.

I can see there's colours but that whole bit of the spectrum of red/green/orange/yellow is extremely subjective, it could be any of the colours depending on how I want to think about it.

The bluish one isn't much better, gradients in general are just unpleasant to think about. They're fine as backgrounds but if I try to look at them and identify any of the colours my brain starts to crunch. Like looking at a blurry image through blurry eyes.

Which is also IMO a point for not trying to sort people into male/female because gently caress if I can tell what a lot of people are going for.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

loving hell, there's stupid and then there's not knowing what a dress is
It must be a dress really, they can always tell.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

PowerBeard posted:

Please vote in Sinn Fein, the plucky underdogs.

2024 is the year of reunification, as the Prophet Data told

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm colourblind and its impact with reference to that gradient is that I don't know what the colours are, I don't need to know, and I'm happy to take people at their word.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Labour have explicitly said there will be no stuff.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1747524163261047018

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1747566363445453281

:allears:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I had a lovely moment over Christmas with my nieces visiting as we were shopping in Urban outfitters and my brother made a comment "oh is this the girls or the boys section?" and my 14 year old niece said "Daddy, there are no boys or girls sections, they're just clothes. You wear whatever you like"

Albert Einstein did not clap but I did silently get a little bit more hope for the younger generations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Labour have explicitly said there will be no stuff.
We have stuff at home.

There is no stuff at home.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mebh posted:

I had a lovely moment over Christmas with my nieces visiting as we were shopping in Urban outfitters and my brother made a comment "oh is this the girls or the boys section?" and my 14 year old niece said "Daddy, there are no boys or girls sections, they're just clothes. You wear whatever you like"

Albert Einstein did not clap but I did silently get a little bit more hope for the younger generations.

Your niece can be my friend, if they like

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I know there's a few legal-type people in here, but this is for everyone really: Does anyone have any experience with becoming/being/working with magistrates? Is it worth doing? What's the process/work like?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My friend's son's band has just released a new video which gives me hope for the yoof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTjkNFyG94s

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Gender criticals: Our side has facts and science and logic.
Also gender criticals: Orange isn't real.

For the first time in months I actually made the effort to find that tweet on nitter because I sensed the replies would be good. And they were - genuinely hilarious. Loads of Gender Critics piling on with loads of other examples of 'binary' things that are actually gradients (like 'the atmosphere' v. 'space') or saying how colours doesn't really exist and are often a social construct based on perception and language and so this is a terrible analogy. :thunk:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

My favourite Gender critical trope is a guy called Mark pretending to be a woman online to get mad about people "pretending" to be women.

smellmycheese posted:

LOL. Still won’t happen

PR. You beg to be taxed in the Press and you lobby to be left untaxed in the backrooms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

Loads of Gender Critics piling on with loads of other examples of 'binary' things that are actually gradients (like 'the atmosphere' v. 'space')
Ah, the von Kármán Linehan

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Great success, the US and UK managed to protect international shipping, oh wait:

good ol free market loooool

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Gender is much like the British Isles: there's Britain, and then there's Ireland. There is no such thing as "Ireland, but actually it's part of Britain", don't be crazy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

PR. You beg to be taxed in the Press and you lobby to be left untaxed in the backrooms.

Taxed in the streets, untaxed in the sheets :biglips:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Gender criticals: Our side has facts and science and logic.
Also gender criticals: Orange isn't real.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Pointing at something that transparently disproves your point and claiming it does the exact opposite is something that idiots do, sure, but it's also a huge flex for the person arguing in bad faith. You shift the ground from a facile facts-and-logic argument to a playground one without batting an eyelid. It's the "you can grow concrete" technique: everyone who disagrees with you thinks you're an idiot (but they thought that already, and you don't care anyway), but everyone on your side cheers because you trolled the woke left.

(To be clear: Mike Graham is both a huge idiot and troll)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Gender is much like the British Isles: there's Britain, and then there's Ireland. There is no such thing as "Ireland, but actually it's part of Britain", don't be crazy.

*points at DUP* trans

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

fuctifino posted:

My friend's son's band has just released a new video which gives me hope for the yoof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTjkNFyG94s

this is cool, cerebral ballzy vibes

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

forkboy84 posted:

And this is why the Houthi are doing what they are doing.

I dont think theres a single UK/US flagged ship on that shipping route tbf.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I can see there's a gradient but I can't tell what the colours in the gradient are.

I always have trouble explaining it but it's like, you know how blurry vision blurs the edges of things? Well colourblindness blurs the colours of things. I have low colour acuity centered around the red/green bit of the spectrum but it extends to everything to a degree.

I can see there's colours but that whole bit of the spectrum of red/green/orange/yellow is extremely subjective, it could be any of the colours depending on how I want to think about it.

The bluish one isn't much better, gradients in general are just unpleasant to think about. They're fine as backgrounds but if I try to look at them and identify any of the colours my brain starts to crunch. Like looking at a blurry image through blurry eyes.

Which is also IMO a point for not trying to sort people into male/female because gently caress if I can tell what a lot of people are going for.

For me the colours keep moving. I think I know where the colours change and suddenly it's not what I thought it was and for a moment the whole thing becomes one colour and then I start getting a headache.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

serious gaylord posted:

I dont think theres a single UK/US flagged ship on that shipping route tbf.

Yeah I feel like we need to hear more from the people all this is really affecting: Marshall Islanders.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Guavanaut posted:

Like I get that it's funny, but also I feel like I'd like to see less examples of transwomen getting harassed by randos on social media in the thread

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my dear aunt who stood in as my grandparent has been in hospital since the very start of the month and while not surprising, it's shown me first-hand how broken health and social care is NI

we thought we were losing her and my cousin called an ambulance at 4am on the 3rd. An ambulance turned up at 3pm the next day after my cousin called the GP in desperation and the GP somehow made it happen, only this wasn't an ambulance as we used to know them: it was something like a st. john's ambulance with private contractors who, while doing their best, were not paramedics - they couldn't do anything other than lift my aunt in and out of the vehicle. It was a long in and out - she spent over 6 hours in the ambulance before finally getting into A&E - it was freezing in there and my aunt got nothing she needed - no pain relief, no drip to stop the dehydration - nothing

in A&E my cousin not only had to do everything for my aunt, she also had to attend to the poor old lady in her nineties next to her who was alone; she had food sat in front of her but wasn't able to eat it so it was lifted away again and she was left to starve. After seeing this happen a number of times and hearing her stomach rumbling, my cousin mashed up the food so she could eat it and fed her. My cousin didn't leave my aunt because she's phobic of hospitals and rightly so - she spent two nights on a plastic chair at her side with blinding lights and the non-stop commotion of A&E

after finally getting admitted to a ward, my aunt was lucky enough to get a room in the new hospital block but there are patients in beds in the corridors with zero privacy, some of them needing toileting in full view of anyone happening to pass by. 20 years ago a hospital ward used to work like clockwork and you had nurses checking on you every hour or so. My aunt had nursing staff check on her a few times every 24 hours and if my cousin hadn't been with her the whole time (she's spent 2 weeks sleeping on a mattress by her), she'd have been left unable to feed or toilet herself. There are no tea trolleys anymore and if you want so much as a jug of water you have to organise it yourself, if you're able to. My cousin had to organise the care package piece by piece by ringing around trying to get names; there appears to be zero coordination or communication and if not for my cousin my aunt would have had nothing put in place that she needed.

It's entirely DIY health and social care at this stage and i don't think my aunt would be alive if not for my cousin. There are buildings and equipment, but the people working there are spread so thin and so stressed that there is just nothing by way of care anymore

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
More on Reeves being an austerity hardliner:

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1747604548623941875?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what a pathetic oval office

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

LOL. Still won’t happen

Wait, Brian Cox just plays a billionaire, he's not... Oh for gently caress's sake.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also most public services are striking here tomorrow and the roads will be ungritted for a week as a consequence, in this weather

people are going to die

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

BalloonFish posted:

saying how colours doesn't really exist and are often a social construct based on perception and language and so this is a terrible analogy. :thunk:

Yes indeed! I have a friend who was doing a PhD on colours but not had much contact lately so not sure how she's doing with that.
The example she used to quote was Homer's* "Wine dark sea" - there was no distinction between blue and green (apparently).
There was an interesting timeline chart about colour perception somewhere I'll see if I can find it.

*The ancient Greek poet, not Homer Simpson

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Wait, Brian Cox just plays a billionaire, he's not... Oh for gently caress's sake.

This most made me look up his wiki article because the succession guy being at Davos was just too on the nose and apparently his political affiliation was Labour until 2015 before he switched to SNP.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He's been an active actor, and a very good one, for decades. Tbh his net worth of $15m seems low to what I would have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Who would flag a ship in the UK? Flag it in Panama: You pay much less tax, and have not much in the way of workers rights mandated for the crew. Also, Panama lets you sign up your vessel online, and doesn't really care where it's from or what it's doing. It's a no brainer.