Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, financial strength w/ the swiss and the nordics and such has led, like in east asia, to more and more cartoonish methods of eternal debt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

there are definitely pros and cons from a policy standpoint to fixed rate mortgages but as someone with a 3% fixed interest rate it sure feels great

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

kissekatt posted:

Infinite mortgages are the norm in Sweden. In 2016 there was finally a law passed to force people to start paying off the principal that exceeds 50% the value of the house. The last 50% you can keep as long as you like, as long as the loan amount doesn't exceed 4.5 times your yearly income.

"as long as you like"? Are people just itching to rack up more interest?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

TikTok "investors doing a series of mycrimes.mp4

https://twitter.com/TikTokInvestors/status/1746588400516321354

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ditocoaf posted:

Mortgage interests in Scandinavia were below inflation for a while, so there was no reason to pay more than absolutely necessary towards your mortgage. Sadly, those days are over.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Ditocoaf posted:

You fail to consider that money you use to pay off debt is money you can't spend on fun stuff right this very minute.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

kissekatt posted:

You fail to consider that money you use to pay off debt is money you can't spend on fun stuff right this very minute.

yeah this is quite important.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I think we found the new Pauzible...

https://try.easyknock.com/?utm_source=directmail&utm_content=try.easyknock

quote:

Unlock Your Cash in 3 Easy Steps
1. Get a Personalized Plan
We’ll craft a personalized sale-leaseback plan to provide the desired amount of cash you need from the available equity in the home.

2. Sign and Get Time & Money
After the Purchase Agreement to buy your home is executed, EasyKnock administers a traditional two to four week real estate home closing process. At the completion of the closing process, your home is sold and you will receive the agreed upon cash.

3. Stay in Your Home
You stay in the home as a renter while deciding on your next steps. EasyKnock customers have a range of options such as repurchasing the home or directing EasyKnock to sell the house on the market. Customers keep any appreciation on the home

I'm guessing they're hoping you use the money to improve the home, and they're going to be pretty heavy-handed on the eviction process.

Oh, and if your dishwasher breaks or something, you're on your own.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

banks hate this one simple trick!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

quote:

Circe
@vocalcry

Jan 13
Thought it was gonna be OnlyFans but it turned out to be OnlyFelons

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Dan Olson has a deep, deep, deep dive into apes being strong together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pYeoZaoWrA

I like Folding Ideas but this is two and a half hours long and I honestly don't think the topic merits or supports this detailed an analysis.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

blackmet posted:

I think we found the new Pauzible...

https://try.easyknock.com/?utm_source=directmail&utm_content=try.easyknock

I'm guessing they're hoping you use the money to improve the home, and they're going to be pretty heavy-handed on the eviction process.

Oh, and if your dishwasher breaks or something, you're on your own.

Big fan of easy knockers personally

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Phanatic posted:

Dan Olson has a deep, deep, deep dive into apes being strong together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pYeoZaoWrA

I like Folding Ideas but this is two and a half hours long and I honestly don't think the topic merits or supports this detailed an analysis.

These people have descended in to trademark fights and insane amounts of drama and it’s hilarious. There’s a memestock thread here with some good info.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Are these really any different from the people on r/churning that do manufactured spending to hit credit card bonuses? It seems like the people on r/churning are even “worse” because they commit the crime of taking money away from a bank, while those tiktokers seem to only be doing the crime of increasing their credit limit?

Or like the people on doctorofcredit that find random bank bonuses that are like “get 10 cents back on every purchase with the card” and then they set up a web of automated transactions where they pay 3 cents to get 10 cents back but a couple thousand times?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 17, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are these really any different from the people on r/churning that do manufactured spending to hit credit card bonuses? It seems like the people on r/churning are even “worse” because they commit the crime of taking money away from a bank, while those tiktokers seem to only be doing the crime of increasing their credit limit?

Using your credit card to buy gift cards or other products that you are legally allowed to purchase with a credit card is very different from bank fraud.

Credit card bonuses are promotional loss leaders to get people to try the cards. Signing up for a free trial and then cancelling before you get billed is not fraud either.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Boris Galerkin posted:

Or like the people on doctorofcredit that find random bank bonuses that are like “get 10 cents back on every purchase with the card” and then they set up a web of automated transactions where they pay 3 cents to get 10 cents back but a couple thousand times?

Generally anything that involves fake invoices and false business records is a crime. Not legal advice or anything but if you ever find yourself inventing fake businesses to pass money back and forth you're probably doing at least a few financial crimes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes, this is very different. For instance, one is illegal, the other is not.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Boris Galerkin posted:

The bank assigns the credit limit to you based on how much they trust you to be able to take out and repay. If you regularly draw down the line of credit and then pay it back, they'll think you're reliable and will therefore be willing to be lend you more money. The tiktok recommendation is to generate a whole bunch of false transactions in order to make them think that you're less risky than you actually are and therefore trick the bank into giving more favorable terms and a bigger loan than they normally would. Lying to someone about your finances in order to get a better deal is fraud!

And this applies even if the person who lied to get the higher limit successfully pays the off. As a good example, look at Trump's trial in New York. He inflated the value of his properties and income in order to make the banks think that he had better collateral and was less risky than he actually was. His argument is that the banks got paid back, so what's the big deal? Well, if they'd known the actual numbers the banks might have decided that they needed to charge him more interest or demand more collateral or something to agree to it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Idk if millionaires can legally hide money to avoid paying taxes because they have money to afford layers to do it for them then gently caress it I support tik tokers taking advantage of the man

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There’s a difference between something being morally objectionable and illegal. There are tons of things that would get you a round of applause but which will still lead to charges if you get caught.

Edit: and advertising your “one weird trick” to the kind of people who cruise grindset TikTok for tips is hitting exactly the kind of credulous idiot who will try it and also the sort of broke person who won’t be able to afford a lawyer and will get their life utterly wrecked by the justice system.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Boris Galerkin posted:

Idk if millionaires can legally hide money to avoid paying taxes because they have money to afford layers to do it for them then gently caress it I support tik tokers taking advantage of the man

But also this is a really anti-social point of view. Like, this is the sort of thing where I'd cheer on an individual who's loving over the bank, 'cause what do I care if Wells Fargo loses $10k. But if people actually did this at scale then it'd hurt everyone. These rules exists because banks don't want to lend money to people who can't pay it back. If a bunch of people start manipulating their credit histories to obtain loans, then the banks will notice and will crack down on it by reviewing everyone's credit history more closely and will be more likely to reject people or charge them higher interest rates, even those who haven't done anything wrong. They'll take that money instead and give it out in "safer" loans to wealthier individuals and businesses, making the whole drat problem worse. You're not going to make the financial system more equitable by telling people to go rob the bank!

Besides, there's a much better solution to the problem anyway.
:guillotine:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I do not know what you think you mean by "legally hide money to avoid paying taxes because they have money to afford lawyers to do it for them", but among other things what you've described is, explicitly, legal. That's different from illegally hiding money to avoid paying taxes. Additionally, not paying taxes is not the same thing as ripping off a bank.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
If it was just fraud, whatever. But fraud to have another hustler-owned airbnb in the neighborhood, no thanks. At that point you’re just making everyone’s life worse

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i only support artisanal small-batch local fraud

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
The real issue with these tiktok financial idiots is that they're charging people money to learn how to commit fraud that will at best end with them in unrecoverable debt for the rest of their life, and at worst will put them in prison. They're no better than assholes who sell courses on sovcit stuff.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1746936503664820585

https://pluralistic.net/2024/01/15/passive-income-brainworms/#four-hour-work-week

Cory Doctorow just posted a good thread / article about how most online scammers are not actually making any money because they are themselves being scammed by higher-level scammers who sold them a How To Scam course.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That really would explain so much.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Apparently the current scam is convincing tweens on TikTok they need some sort of $75 face moisturizer?

Very different than convincing 30-40 year old men they need new cars imho.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That really would explain so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biYciU1uiUw

Dan Olsen did a video about a similar pre-ai scam telling people they could get rich by hiring ghostwriters to flood Amazon with garbage audiobooks. Of course, the only people making money that way are the ones selling the course. The people flooding Amazon with garbage are victims of a scam themselves. I imagine it's the same on TikTok. Very few are actually making money from these videos.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There has been a surprising amount of this kind of fraud with reality TV shows like Real Housewives. Those shows don't pay a whole lot, definitely not enough to maintain the lifestyles they're living, so they get caught doing mortgage fraud, money laundering, and tax evasion as they churn assets to seem richer than they are. The most recent example were the Chrisleys who are now in Federal prison for the next decade on tax fraud. They did just get a weird $1 million dollar judgement from the State of Georgia for improper prosecution on state tax charges, so at least their commissary account is flush.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1746936503664820585

https://pluralistic.net/2024/01/15/passive-income-brainworms/#four-hour-work-week

Cory Doctorow just posted a good thread / article about how most online scammers are not actually making any money because they are themselves being scammed by higher-level scammers who sold them a How To Scam course.

I somehow dislike how Doctrow continues to be a really good writer with a focus on the quality of life of the common internet user, the common consumer, the common man.

it means that everybody else from that era who became chuddy barely-literate shithead hacks did not do so out of inevitability: they avoidably became stupid illiterate shithead hacks, and that's sad as hell

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Potato Salad posted:

I somehow dislike how Doctrow continues to be a really good writer with a focus on the quality of life of the common internet user, the common consumer, the common man.

it means that everybody else from that era who became chuddy barely-literate shithead hacks did not do so out of inevitability: they avoidably became stupid illiterate shithead hacks, and that's sad as hell

Well, it might help to remember that Doctrow started as an absolute shithead whose entire career was built around telling millennials why it was perfectly justified for them to steal/pirate artists' work.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Well, it might help to remember that Doctrow started as an absolute shithead whose entire career was built around telling millennials why it was perfectly justified for them to steal/pirate artists' work.

now AI does it for free

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

tater_salad posted:

now AI does it for free

"Millenials killed the pirating industry."

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Krispy Wafer posted:

There has been a surprising amount of this kind of fraud with reality TV shows like Real Housewives. Those shows don't pay a whole lot, definitely not enough to maintain the lifestyles they're living, so they get caught doing mortgage fraud, money laundering, and tax evasion as they churn assets to seem richer than they are. The most recent example were the Chrisleys who are now in Federal prison for the next decade on tax fraud. They did just get a weird $1 million dollar judgement from the State of Georgia for improper prosecution on state tax charges, so at least their commissary account is flush.

Another one went down last year for 13 years. https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/reality-show-cast-member-jennifer-shah-sentenced-78-months-prison-running-nationwide

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

tater_salad posted:

now AI does it for free

There must always be a Dread Pirate Robots.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Guest2553 posted:

There must always be a Dread Pirate Robots.

dammit we just changed the thread title too!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Potato Salad posted:

I somehow dislike how Doctrow continues to be a really good writer
Lucky for you, Cory Doctorow is one of the shittiest writers out there so you don't have to worry about this.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

moana posted:

Lucky for you, Cory Doctorow is one of the shittiest writers out there so you don't have to worry about this.

Whew, I’m not the only one. I remember when the App Store was A Brand New Thing and I downloaded some e-reader app, and it was prepopulated with all his Creative Commons works. It was dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Doctorow is a good journalist; his expository writing is lucid and, for a journalist, relatively technically competent.

His fiction is mostly bad, though.