Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There's being audited where the people do intrusive examinations of your books and chase leads as far as they're legally permitted (which is a lot) to ensure GAAP compliance, and there's attestations where you give them a set of books and they do a checksum on the numbers presented and give a thumbs up or down on whether your numbers add up.

Naturally, if you have a spreadsheet that says you have $500 billion in reserve grade assets, $490 billion in customer assets, with $10 billion in equity, that in fact balances and you can get it attested. But that leaves the onus on the entity whose books it is, not the accounting firm, on the validity of the statements therein. So an attestation is essentially an arithmetic test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They better watch out or I'll send a complaint to the BBB! If they really piss me off I'm not afraid to get it notarized and sent by certified mail!!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Didn't a ton of companies walk out of doing attestations for crypto because of how much they gamed it?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/16/mazars-suspends-all-work-with-crypto-clients-including-binance-cryptocom.html

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

I too have watched The Beekeeper.

They should have given lead to Kitboga.

The mechanics happen between 3 & 9 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnwkX9fmZG0&t=119s

It is a little heartwarming that the latest action blockbuster stars Jason Statham getting revenge for granny, good for him. It probably has better effects than the one I linked.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Beekeeper was like a 90s era Segal films only Statham has charisma.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

doomrider7 posted:

If I recall he posted some "apology" or "explanation" for why his usage of the n-word and japanese slurs were "totally not racist guys" and taken out of cultural context or some bullshit of that nature. Naturally the community bought it, forgave him, and canonized him as divine figure of hardline gaming jounalism.

Iirc, his explanation video more focused on "one friend I don't know super well turned out to be a Nazi so I broke it off with him, now there is a smear campaign on me based on the association", and I don't recall him mentioning much (if any) personal wrongdoing. He also did this as a preamble to an unrelated video subject which makes it difficult to find again.

I wouldn't support him in any material sense, but in a journalism sense he is good at bringing receipts and sources to his breakdowns and investigations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

Iirc, his explanation video more focused on "one friend I don't know super well turned out to be a Nazi so I broke it off with him, now there is a smear campaign on me based on the association", and I don't recall him mentioning much (if any) personal wrongdoing. He also did this as a preamble to an unrelated video subject which makes it difficult to find again.

I wouldn't support him in any material sense, but in a journalism sense he is good at bringing receipts and sources to his breakdowns and investigations.

He was hanging out with them in Nazi places as they said Nazi things. I'm sure he was very shocked that they turned out to be Nazis.

Did he also trip and fall into writing a pick-up artist book, too?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Like I said, I don't support him as a person, and his explanation video left a lot of gaps.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Lammasu posted:

Beekeeper was like a 90s era Segal films only Statham has charisma.

I saw the trailer for that and had a hearty lol at the neon cyberpunk scam call centre, having seen actual scam call centres getting raided in scambaiter YouTube videos.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Sentient Data posted:

They better watch out or I'll send a complaint to the BBB! If they really piss me off I'm not afraid to get it notarized and sent by certified mail!!

I can't stop chuckling at this, well done

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Foxfire_ posted:

That is still what they're claiming. They're just almost certainly lying since, like you've noticed, they're saying they regularly get implausibly large dollar amounts deposited and also that they will not tell you anything more about where they came from or went.

bitfinex'ed said for years that tether was issuing "loans" of unbacked tethers, and accounting the "loan" as the asset backing the tethers. just like banks do!

tether denied it. then in sep 2021, alex mashinsky of celsius just said in an interview that celsius got loans from tether, lol.

then a few weeks later the cftc detailed the same thing.

then in sep 2023 tether said it had started making loans like this again.

so yeah, i don't believe a single dollar moved for any of the recent prints. not even the dollar they're backing it with.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
surprising no one, it took very little time for filings to come in for leveraged and inverse bitcoin ETFs

https://twitter.com/ETFhearsay/status/1747381745404510626

options too

https://twitter.com/ETFhearsay/status/1745975777575813586

surely this is the thing that is good for bitcoin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gutcruncher posted:

For a few years I had a job at Walmart selling money orders and wiring money. A large portion of my job was telling people they were being scammed and getting yelled at because they think I’m lying.

Like nobody finds it odd that the fbi is demanding payment in prepaid visa gift cards or that the dog they ordered from Senegal is being held hostage at an airport that’s demanding more money.

A shitload of people, especially olds, basically do whatever someone who sounds remotely like A Trusted Authority tells them. Especially bad when dementia is starting to set in. And it's almost impossible to talk them out of this is you're their child or in a service job because they see you as beneath them, to be taking orders, not giving them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Evilreaver posted:

his most recent piece of 'journalism' consisted of him posting a video that can only be described as extreme levels of cope after billy mitchell settled out of court and got a bunch of poo poo he wanted out of said settlement, so

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

edit: nvm

Not really bitcoin-related

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A shitload of people, especially olds, basically do whatever someone who sounds remotely like A Trusted Authority tells them. Especially bad when dementia is starting to set in. And it's almost impossible to talk them out of this is you're their child or in a service job because they see you as beneath them, to be taking orders, not giving them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_search_phone_call_scam

People can do some really hosed up things because they think the police or some corporate higher up is telling them to.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_search_phone_call_scam

People can do some really hosed up things because they think the police or some corporate higher up is telling them to.

They made a movie based on this. It's called "Compliance" and... it is difficult to watch.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Hmmm it seems weird that this person on the phone is telling me to get naked and then force my teenage staff to get naked but on the other hand they DID say they were from corporate sooooo…..

Edit: when a person falls for the scam and forces an employee to strip, do they get in legal trouble? Like yeah they were duped but surely at some point the judge has gotta say “dude, really? You never once second guessed this?”

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 17, 2024

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: when a person falls for the scam and forces an employee to strip, do they get in legal trouble? Like yeah they were duped but surely at some point the judge has gotta say “dude, really? You never once second guessed this?”

According to the Wikipedia entry the manager took a plea deal and got a year of probation, and the manager's fiancé, who was called in to take over for the manager since she had to go back to work and who did some horrible stuff, got a reduced sentence of 5 years in exchange for his testimony against the scammer. So I guess, yes, the person who falls for the scam does get in legal trouble.

The crazy thing is they caught the scammer then let him so since they didn't think there was enough evidence to get a conviction.

And of course McDonald's corporate says they're not to blame by pointing to a section in the manager's handbook that specifically says strip searches are prohibited, and that the worst stuff was done by the manager's fiancé who is not an employee and was not even supposed to be allowed in the back office at all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I feel bad that the employee got worn out by the appeal process and just took the 1.1m instead of the 6m the jury awarded her.

And what the hell happened with McDonalds and their lawyers being sanctioned for withholding evidence?!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the manager got a 6 figure settlement too :shepspends:

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

I know it's reddit, but it's too good not to share. From /r/TrueOffMyChest

Today with my boyfriend, I felt genuine disgust for the first time.

quote:

My boyfriend has a tendency to believe anything he comes across online, no matter how absurd. Today, he shared a tweet with me that claimed Angelina Jolie said something like "cryptocurrency is important."

I don't claim to know everything, but I'm certain she didn't say that. It was clear to me that the post was manipulated, with the image looking heavily photoshopped. I went to the extent of searching on Google to verify if she had a Twitter account, and she doesn't. I tried to explain that it was likely fake, but he remained adamant, persistently trying to convince me, even though it was an unmistakable fabrication.

As he spoke, a sense of genuine disgust overcame me. It's hard to explain, but it was like a switch flipped in my head, changing my perception of him. I'm not suggesting people can't be naive, but this went beyond that. One doesn't need to be Einstein to sense that something is amiss. I have zero tolerance for ignorance and plain stupidity; I just can't forgive it.

I plan to end things with him tomorrow. It might seem overly dramatic to end a relationship over something seemingly insignificant, but I just can't see him the same way anymore. He is tainted to me.

Seems like even relationships can become fungible thanks to the magic of crypto currency.

Busters fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 19, 2024

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
PSA: we got another billion dollars we promise. Note this is an authorized but not issued transaction, meaning that this amount is extremely real and good. Insurance and chain swaps buy Buy BUY BUY BUY

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Busters posted:

Seems like even relationships can become fungible thanks to the magic of crypto currency.

I'm actually surprised the replies in there were supportive instead of the standard reddit misogyny, etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Busters posted:

General Bullshit > Bitcoin: he is tainted to me

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://www.sec.gov/news/statement/crenshaw-statement-spot-bitcoin-011023

Err, also pulled from a Reddit post, but the damning evidence is too golden not to quote:

One analysis of 29 major crypto exchanges found that wash trading was, on average, as high as 77.5% of the total trading volume on unregulated exchanges.[7] The same researchers estimated that wash trading was present in over $4.5 trillion of crypto spot market trading and $1.5 trillion in crypto derivatives trading in the first quarter of 2020 alone.[8] Likewise, the Commission’s complaint against Binance and its affiliates alleges that the Defendants failed to implement trade surveillance or manipulative trading controls on the Binance.US platform (despite the fact that such controls were touted to investors); and, that the lack of such controls enabled Binance affiliates to engage in wash trading in select cryptocurrencies in order to artificially inflate trading volume.[9]

Specifically with regard to bitcoin, an analysis of 157 crypto exchanges found that 51% of the reported daily bitcoin trading volume was likely bogus.[10] In fact, though reporting regarding bitcoin frequently discusses the enormous size of the market, one market participant who now seeks to sponsor a spot bitcoin ETP has admitted that “approximately 95%” of the data used by many participants are “fake and/or non-economic.”[11] Indeed, in one salient example, according to testimony by one of his co-conspirators, the former CEO of FTX may have engaged in bitcoin price manipulation in an effort to keep its price under $20,000, presumably to the benefit of his company and himself.[12] In short, prices and demand for bitcoin may not actually be what they appear to be.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They're implying that the current upward trend of bitcoin's price is because SBF is too busy being in jail to do more price fixing which is a wild notion to think about.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder how our very special boy is doing in prison. Do we know what kind of facility he went to?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I wonder how our very special boy is doing in prison. Do we know what kind of facility he went to?

Still in MDC Brooklyn awaiting sentencing, tapping out yet more crimes in Morse code on the water pipes

drk
Jan 16, 2005

drk posted:

I gotta believe GBTC holders are going to dump as soon as possible, :rip: Grayscale

minus nearly $3B in six days

edit: there is some speculation in the comments that FTX may be a big GBTC seller here. it would be very funny if sam's last revenge was tanking crypto by dumping billions of bitcoin on the market

drk fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 20, 2024

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

divabot posted:

Still in MDC Brooklyn awaiting sentencing, tapping out yet more crimes in Morse code on the water pipes
-- -.-- -.-. .-. .. -- . ...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Collateral Damage posted:

lol

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
MYCRIMES.SOS :q:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
-... ..- - - -.-. --- .. -.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Collateral Damage posted:

Telegram is good for Bitcoin.

wait poo poo that might be true

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CannonFodder posted:

Telegram is good for Bitcoin.

Not public enough…Buttcrime must be transparent for maximum laughs

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Space Fish posted:

https://www.sec.gov/news/statement/crenshaw-statement-spot-bitcoin-011023

Err, also pulled from a Reddit post, but the damning evidence is too golden not to quote:

One analysis of 29 major crypto exchanges found that wash trading was, on average, as high as 77.5% of the total trading volume on unregulated exchanges.[7] The same researchers estimated that wash trading was present in over $4.5 trillion of crypto spot market trading and $1.5 trillion in crypto derivatives trading in the first quarter of 2020 alone.[8] Likewise, the Commission’s complaint against Binance and its affiliates alleges that the Defendants failed to implement trade surveillance or manipulative trading controls on the Binance.US platform (despite the fact that such controls were touted to investors); and, that the lack of such controls enabled Binance affiliates to engage in wash trading in select cryptocurrencies in order to artificially inflate trading volume.[9]

Specifically with regard to bitcoin, an analysis of 157 crypto exchanges found that 51% of the reported daily bitcoin trading volume was likely bogus.[10] In fact, though reporting regarding bitcoin frequently discusses the enormous size of the market, one market participant who now seeks to sponsor a spot bitcoin ETP has admitted that “approximately 95%” of the data used by many participants are “fake and/or non-economic.”[11] Indeed, in one salient example, according to testimony by one of his co-conspirators, the former CEO of FTX may have engaged in bitcoin price manipulation in an effort to keep its price under $20,000, presumably to the benefit of his company and himself.[12] In short, prices and demand for bitcoin may not actually be what they appear to be.

No poo poo. Wow. Blowing my loving mind here. lmao

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
I worked for a tech startup that blatantly stated they were willing to wash trade when the NFT boom hit. They recently shut down after wasting $50mil of investor money (these are big names, Winklevoss, etc). If there's a way to profit off of being a rat I totally would, but I didn't have a chance to record the meeting where they stated they were willing to wash trade to manipulate prices. One of my former coworkers sued the employers, not sure how much or why, but I know there's some dark poo poo going on behind the scenes of these NYC/Silicon Valley startups. Oh yeah and as employees we were asked to buy some of the NFTs with our own money, I did but quickly sold since I knew they were useless pieces of poo poo without an actual game. And I was the one making the game and art for them. The only reason I worked for them is because I couldn't get a job in my standard industry around the year or two that investors were throwing money at those companies.

During the launch each NFT was selling for $300-400, with a peak of $1200 on certain ones. There was $4,300,000 worth of trading volume on our NFTs, without any type of playable game. Each one is now worth less than $20

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 20, 2024

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

dopesilly posted:

I worked for a tech startup that blatantly stated they were willing to wash trade when the NFT boom hit. They recently shut down after wasting $50mil of investor money (these are big names, Winklevoss, etc). If there's a way to profit off of being a rat I totally would, but I didn't have a chance to record the meeting where they stated they were willing to wash trade to manipulate prices. One of my former coworkers sued the employers, not sure how much or why, but I know there's some dark poo poo going on behind the scenes of these NYC/Silicon Valley startups. Oh yeah and as employees we were asked to buy some of the NFTs with our own money, I did but quickly sold since I knew they were useless pieces of poo poo without an actual game. And I was the one making the game and art for them. The only reason I worked for them is because I couldn't get a job in my standard industry around the year or two that investors were throwing money at those companies.

During the launch each NFT was selling for $300-400, with a peak of $1200 on certain ones. There was $4,300,000 worth of trading volume on our NFTs, without any type of playable game. Each one is now worth less than $20

Tell us everything lol. Was there an actual design document or was it just vibes based? How much progress did you make on the game? I really want to know what design meetings were like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023

Gubbinal Girl posted:

Tell us everything lol. Was there an actual design document or was it just vibes based? How much progress did you make on the game? I really want to know what design meetings were like.

One game designer, previously worked on some idle clicker mobile bullshit game. Game design doc was stupid, the founders were stupid. The whole scam to investors was them saying "app-less gaming! play your games on tiktok, snapchat, facebook, etc!" which is all bullshit cause it was just a web publishing version of Unity. They basically sold investors on tech that already existed, and claimed that they were the first to do it. I left before the game was finished because the game idea was stupid, boring, out of touch, and irrelevant to their "target demographic". I didn't get much out of the experience, I was paid $125k/year and I lasted a little over a year. The unfortunate part for me is that now I have a gap in my resume and I haven't been able to find work for over a year. Lost a few friends because they thought I was scamming people or something, but really it was just silicon valley idiots scamming investors. I have quite a few stories about crypto-related projects since I dabbled in working on them since 2017. I was excited about "cryptoart" and data ownership over digital art, and I saw a lot of my fellow artists finally being able to start up their dream projects. Unfortunately institutional money got involved, people started calling art "NFTs", and then came the scammers completely ruining any type of legitimate relevancy that the technology offered.

There are some cryptoart projects out there that are genuinely really cool and made by artists who slaved away at corporate offices for decade+ until they were able to pursue their passion projects. There was also this awesome resurgence of programmers making digital art which reminded me of the demoscene days. Unfortunately tech bros fuckin ruined it all. gently caress Silicon Valley and NYC rich hipster fucks. I hope karma comes for them all.

Edit: As far as design meetings go, it was just the two founders arguing with the team over semantics and making arbitrary constraints for us to develop around. They had absolutely no idea how to run a technology company, nevermind a video game studio. It really irked me because I could've made a hell of a game with even 1/10th of the investor money they were given. I've got 12 years of experience in the industry and worked on a couple successful AAA titles that costed $30-$80mil each.

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 20, 2024