Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

ah gently caress I'm gonna end up doing it aren't I
edit: piss poo poo and a hundred thousand stinky turds

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

EatD 3 page on BL has a preview extract up (audio, epub, mobi).

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/featured/ebook-the-end-and-the-death-volume-iii-eng-2024.html

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

If it makes you feel better, the price will shoot through the roof when the secondary market thins out. So now was probably the time if you were going to get the book at all imo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah I don't feel good, but it makes me feel a little bit better, thanks. My gut is telling me that waiting would've been the wrong move.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

This is some good poo poo, time to blast through the last chunk of 1 and finish 2 before the real end and the death!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That was a great excerpt!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That is a fine excerpt. Also, before we get to the content of that novel, I just wanted to pass on this hot tip to aspiring Black Library writers:

Decide how to tell this exact story (inheritance, doubt, mystery) with the next faction they want to promote.

I suspect there are a few other examples.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Counterpart. Make it about two best freebies being total dicks to each other constantly

Actually it legit made me wanna run Necrons

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Void King was good then? Haven't heard too much about it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

I enjoyed it. It wasn't great but it certainly wasn't bad either. If you like rogue trader stuff it's worth reading. Some of the characters are showing up in the Dawn of Fire series now

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

Oh they're all solid, especially the necron books, I just noticed how they all follow very similar beats, right down to similar accusations of the protagonist being unworthy of their inheritance.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, they can be quality writing, but the core story beats are identical all the way down.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Two weeks to go. Anyone got any stasis grenades I could borrow?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Warden posted:

Two weeks to go. Anyone got any stasis grenades I could borrow?

Paging Trazyn the Infinite, Trazyn the Infinite you have a specimen waiting for collection

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

My pace with luxurious physical books is so loving leisurely that I'm probably gonna have to stay out of this thread for a month once the ebook drops.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/14/sunday-preview-deathwing-assault/

Do you like new books? Of course ya do!

But after such a whopper of pre-order release, next week will be kind of minor.

Yarrick: The Omnibus collects the novelsImperial Creed, The Pyres of Armageddon, and the novella Chains of Golgotha, alongside six short stories into one book.

Available in ebook and paperback.

On the audiobook front there's William King's Wolfblade.

And that's it for the upcoming weekend's pre-orders.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/14/sunday-preview-deathwing-assault/

Do you like new books? Of course ya do!

But after such a whopper of pre-order release, next week will be kind of minor.

Yarrick: The Omnibus collects the novelsImperial Creed, The Pyres of Armageddon, and the novella Chains of Golgotha, alongside six short stories into one book.

Available in ebook and paperback.

At last we get another book following an Ork hero.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pyrolocutus posted:

It's not great. Not Goto or Zou but definitely sub-Haley. It's got zero spectacle and the writing is just about passable.

I was going go say if reminded me a lot of The Martyrs Tomb and then I find they're both written by the same guy.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Is it me or does that "Space Wolf" look like there's a bit of Eldar in that bloodline...?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Less Eldar and more pop culture "Native American wolf" imo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I jope the Iron Hands trilogy hasn't gone the way of the Ynnari books. I think it may have though, considering how long it's been since part 2. David Guymer is a solid author.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Less Eldar and more pop culture "Native American wolf" imo.

Ah, old school Dark Angels Deathwing then...

(god, 40k is so confusing if you're starting out)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-feature-novel/

This week's Black Library reveal is a Dark Angels book.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Gary Closter is a name I don't recognize, anyone know anything about him? The Dark Angels seem like a chapter with cool potential that's been mostly wasted by being written by bad authors.

I don't really know what the Dark Angels special storytelling feature is these days. At one point it was hinted at that the Lion sat on the fence waiting to see who was going to win the Heresy before committing to a side, and that's been retconned out. There were also some mentions dropped that he really wanted to be Warmaster, and was upset that he didn't get chosen, unlike the others on the short list (Guilleman didn't care because he's got enough on his plate with Ultramar, Sanguinius doesn't want it because of his self-doubts).

Both of these would have been interesting paths to explore further, but it seems like they've been dropped.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, The Lion seems to be 'generic Good Primarch' now, with very little to speak of.

Hell, with the Fallen into the fold (those who want to be, anyway) why even have the Deathwing and Interrogator Chaplains? Everyone knows, nobody cares because you've got a Primarch.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I suppose it's too early, but there really should be tension between Guilliman and The Lion, in a "who said YOU got to be running the joint" kind of way

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

DaysBefore posted:

The daemon equivalent of a wrestling jobber

I thought this was Belakor's job?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I suppose it's too early, but there really should be tension between Guilliman and The Lion, in a "who said YOU got to be running the joint" kind of way

I guess but this is pretty undercut by Guilliman being basically the Governor Primarch, everyone knows that poo poo is his jam. It would be like arguing with Vulkan about manufacturing/creating poo poo.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finally canceled WH+. The cool minis kept me, but this years were not my cup of tea. I wanted to support the Astartes guy getting out more product, but after 3 years of nothing, eh.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Philthy posted:

Finally canceled WH+. The cool minis kept me, but this years were not my cup of tea. I wanted to support the Astartes guy getting out more product, but after 3 years of nothing, eh.

You're going to look so stupid when GW release ASTARTES 2: ASTART HARDER next week.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Shockeh posted:

Yeah, The Lion seems to be 'generic Good Primarch' now, with very little to speak of.

Hell, with the Fallen into the fold (those who want to be, anyway) why even have the Deathwing and Interrogator Chaplains? Everyone knows, nobody cares because you've got a Primarch.

They could have doubled down on the DA's Heresy-era antics by having them out-dubious the Alpha Legion.

He just brought a bunch of ten thousand year old Heresy veterans back into the fold, and they're to be considered good guys because he said so. How are we even sure this guy is the Lion?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
There's a decent book waiting to be made about some crafty daemon prince or sorcerer cosplaying as Leman Russ or Corax and taking over a chunk of Imperium Nihilus.

"Yes, it's totally me, look how big I am! I so wish I could meet with my siblings back on the other side, but alas! Anyhow, it's time we reorganize this sector to....-welcome- Roboute and Lion when they show up!"

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's not like you could fake a message to a primarch and have them fight each other, that would never happen.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Given that Mike Brooks has written some really good stuff, his book about the Lion returning was kind of disappointingly bland. The only thing really memorable about it for me was the Chaos guy whose head was permanently on fire :hellyeah:

moths posted:

They could have doubled down on the DA's Heresy-era antics by having them out-dubious the Alpha Legion.

He just brought a bunch of ten thousand year old Heresy veterans back into the fold, and they're to be considered good guys because he said so. How are we even sure this guy is the Lion?

The head lion of a pride is called the alpha, isn't it? So El'Jonson is the Alpha Lion :thunkin:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Kylaer posted:

The head lion of a pride is called the alpha, isn't it? So El'Jonson is the Alpha Lion :thunkin:

No idiot, the head of a lion pack is called the alpha wolf, and what space marine legion is associated with wolves?? that's right, Horus is basically confirmed to be the next primach to return

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Bohemian Nights posted:

that's right, Horus is basically confirmed to be the next primach to return

Turns out one clone got away!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Philthy posted:

As far as I can tell they're more involved in their own personal project than anything for games workshop. Hard to tell since GW has them on radio silence though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s amazing anything good comes from that company.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Shots from say the Horus Heresy trailer a few years back had their style of composition so I wouldn't be surprised if they had a big hand in it, but I don't think GW put credits out for those videos, do they?

10th edition trailer I don't get the same feeling from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

LashLightning posted:

Turns out one clone got away!

Yeah and his name is Abaddon