Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Viper915 posted:

Has anyone played Daybreak yet, and has any opinions to offer? I'm very tempted to pick it up. Bonus points if I can play with my friends who are more optimistic and less jaded than I am about where our climate change future is headed and get a little happiness out of it.

Yeah, I've played a few games at 2p.

Playstyle-wise, I'd place it somewhere between Wingspan and Pandemic. Watching the world burn (literally) gives the shared twin feelings of doom and determination that Pandemic nails. There is MUCH less player interaction than in Pandemic and for what its worth I think that's good thing. (I say that as someone who prefers nasty political games like Pax Pamir and John Company 2e). There's much less of an ability to quarterback a more timid player, as their tableau is already 1-5 turns in the making and you can't do much other than offer a couple of pointers here and there. I'd say the level of complexity is probably perfect for casual players. Daybreak has enough options to lead to some AP, but there's clear enough goals that a couple of slow turns is as bad as it gets.

The player tableau game was definitely entertaining. I'm no genius that can pick out a perfect Food Chain Magnate pivot strategy, but I was expecting the player board tableau to be a bit dull, like Wingspan or Scythe. I was instead pleasantly surprised to pull of some entertaining combos that had a definite impact on the game state. The key is that each card, when played to the front of tableau column, can be used to great effect, so clever players can use "Once per turn cards" to leverage their entire economy, then immediately supplant them with more long-viewed infrastructure. Which in turn can immediately be used. Daybreak really nails the feeling of mid to late game Spirit Island where all feels lost until everyone realizes they're standing on massive juggernauts-engines and start swinging.

Multiplayer solitaire tableau is a concern for games like this, but I'd say it is honestly cooperative in that you can and will need to give direct aid to other players. Out of the two games I've played, we won the second because my friend (playing the U.S) used an ability toss me some clutch economy cards. That allowed me in turn to punch my fossil fuel industries in the nuts and push stupid amounts of resilience back to her. While it won't make heavy social gamers the happiest, I think Daybreak is the perfect level for folks who want mulitplayer solitaire with just the right amount of cooperative intervention. I don't think seen-it-all heavy Euro-gamers are going to be impressed, but for anything resembling even a remotely casual table I'd say its a good fit.

Downsides: The main board is a bit dull, there's not much happening there besides a couple of tracks (in the form of actual tracks and meeple-tracks) letting you know how hosed you are. You REALLY need to shuffle all the decks, as there is a lot duplicate effect cards that are shipped together which meant our first play-through was very degenerate. I also think that replayability might suffer a bit for the more crunchy gamers, as it seems like there is a few "safer" strategies--folks who can only play optimally might not want to gamble on some of the weirder tech strategies. (That said, there are optional challenge set-ups to opt-in for more difficult play both as a table, and an individual. Haven't tried those yet, so jury's out).

As for theme and the optimism for our future... well. Don't lose.

Overall, would recommend Daybreak for almost any table.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is the case with the Spirit Island expansion Branch & Claw, so I always recommend either grabbing the expansion with the base game or ASAP.

But the problem here is that the B&C events are sort of wonky and need the JE events to smooth them out, so then you need another xpac. (All secondhand; I got both at the same time and mixed them together, so I don't know which events are which. Also, JE is a great xpac ruleswise because it introduces only two new elements IIRC: badlands and isolate [aside from new adversaries/scenarios].)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Some Strange Flea posted:

scared they’ll get their rear end beat by the people who have played the game literally twice as much as they have.

This is, I think, one of then biggest hurdles to getting a game played in my group(s). I play with so many overly competitive people that it isn't a question that someone will hand you your rear end in a game you barely know and not in a fun learning way but a "well... that's that" type way. This is compounded by the games usually being way longer, exacerbating the decidedly unpleasant feeling of being a punching bag.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Admiralty Flag posted:

But the problem here is that the B&C events are sort of wonky and need the JE events to smooth them out, so then you need another xpac. (All secondhand; I got both at the same time and mixed them together, so I don't know which events are which. Also, JE is a great xpac ruleswise because it introduces only two new elements IIRC: badlands and isolate [aside from new adversaries/scenarios].)

I played a lot of B&C just fine without JE. I never found the events to be "wonky" except that one event (forgetting the name) that Eric Reuss said you're fine to just take out due to its imbalance. The actual problem I ran into with B&C without JE was poor support for Disease, Wilds, and Beasts from the Minors and Majors. So, I really appreciated those extra cards in JE.

I think rocketing to JE is a mistake unless you're very confident about Rules because JE adds a ton of complexity and changes some wording.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I played a lot of B&C just fine without JE. I never found the events to be "wonky" except that one event (forgetting the name) that Eric Reuss said you're fine to just take out due to its imbalance. The actual problem I ran into with B&C without JE was poor support for Disease, Wilds, and Beasts from the Minors and Majors.

IIRC a lot of the B&C events were duds because they relied on a lot of token stuff too?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A lot of the 2nd step events were and still are things like "choose a space with a disease and do [thing]" when diseases are relatively rare, especially early in the game if your starter disease was eaten up already.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There was never a point where there was a complete Spirit Island + Branch & Claw game that got split up, both were subsets of a bigger pile of content that got narrowed down for the initial two products. The base game launched with planned content that didn't get seen until Nature Incarnate, let alone even Jagged Earth.

SettingSun posted:

A lot of the 2nd step events were and still are things like "choose a space with a disease and do [thing]" when diseases are relatively rare, especially early in the game if your starter disease was eaten up already.

Also, because tokens were somewhat overvalued to begin with, many disease events were double-edged swords that were treated as a big gift. So there were several events where you'd get an absolutely brutal top events with the intended "silver lining" of getting an extra disease at heavy cost.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

panko posted:

wavelength is another exceptional filler title. I like it better than codenames (because it’s faster), but slightly less than so clover, decrypto, or even trapwords. I hosed the game up for our team by giving “five-hour old cement” as a clue where the spectrum was SOFT —— FIRM and the target was about 65% of the way towards firm. I thought cement took about a day to set but one of the players on my team was adamant (and correct) that it takes more than 48 hours for it to be firm enough to walk on, so they set the dial leaning soft. oops.

personally i like playing wavelength like the phone app sets up where everybody is just on one team trying to get the best score they can.

i also wish i could buy extra prompt packs like the app has since i've played the gently caress out of my physical copy and some of the prompts are getting pretty old.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Train ChatGPT to generate good ones. I have one for wits and wagers questions where it spits out 3 questions and then I have to prompt it to give me the answers.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Somewhere along the way I lost my 6 Nimmt cards out of their box. Was ordering some components off Aliexpress to repair some consoles and handhelds, and to make up the few bucks I needed for free shipping I've chucked in this masterpiece

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Are there any games people are excited for or looking forward to right now? I feel like I'm in this weird stage of this hobby where I haven't seen anything really to get worked up about in a long time. If you put a gun to my head I'd say the George R R Martin-tier Feast for Odin expansion/stand alone that's coming Any Day Now but even the 18xx stuff I like (and ordered!) isn't as exciting seeing as I can play them all on .games currently.

It could be that having a small child and another on the way which leads to zero time and energy for most board games outside of special occasions has dulled my gusto but even from my childless friends and colleagues there is never much excitement.

Is this the end???

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No, it makes sense, I've had very few new games be super anticipatory for me. Closest is "finally getting to play South African Rails" as part of the age of rail ks.

I'm honestly most excited about games I doubt I'll even buy, namely "whatever Amabel Holland is creating". Like, take a look at https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/404720/then-she-came-back, holy poo poo

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

FulsomFrank posted:

Are there any games people are excited for or looking forward to right now?

A Gest of Robin Hood. But I try not to think about it, because there is only so much yearning I can take

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Oh dear me posted:

A Gest of Robin Hood. But I try not to think about it, because there is only so much yearning I can take

poo poo I forgot I P500d that and the Martian COIN game too.

It'll just be one of those happy little surprises when/if they show up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FulsomFrank posted:

Are there any games people are excited for or looking forward to right now?

There is one game in the Must Have category of my wishlist, and it's Lords of Vegas. That would pretty much rounds out the collection for me. I'm just waiting on the reprint to hit Ausse retailers.
Maybe Tigres & Euphrates if it ever gets a reprint?

The rest of it really is just a bunch of Nice-To-Have level games, and smaller lighter party/pub level games.

Other than that.. expansions are nice? Feeling like the AFfO:Danes/Sweden dev has kept kicking the "They're just doing the artwork" ball down the line street for too long now.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
I am looking forward to Undaunted: Callisto. Everyone I know who has played the various WW2 versions love them, but the sci-fi setting is just more appealing to me. I am also curious to see how Arcs turns out, since I am a big fan of Werle's other games (or at least Root and Oath).

Otherwise, most of the games I want are just wider distribution and reprints of games that came out last year (Witcraft!, Sky Team).

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
A friend and fellow goon picked up Molly House after a little nudging, and I cannot wait to try that out.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

There is one game in the Must Have category of my wishlist, and it's Lords of Vegas. That would pretty much rounds out the collection for me. I'm just waiting on the reprint to hit Ausse retailers.

I backed the latest Lords of Vegas kickstarter, and it's running a little bit behind schedule but seems to still be moving along.

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

I am looking forward to Undaunted: Callisto.

I'm also interested in this. My game purchasing has slowed way down though. I need to play through some of my shelf of shame, and I already have a few things on order. I'm probably most excited about the upcoming expansions for Eclipse, which were initially supposed to arrive in November I think but are now slated for sometime in April.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

poo poo I forgot I P500d that and the Martian COIN game too.

It'll just be one of those happy little surprises when/if they show up.

That's Red Dust Rebellion and I'm looking forward to that one, too.

But the #1 I'm looking forward to is Away Team which is also P500. It's spiritual successor/re-implementation of Voyages of the BSM Pandora and by the same author. I loved BSM Pandora, really looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to Dragons Down which is a remake/inspired by Magic Realm. I'm intrigued. The jury's still out but I've seen enough to be interested. MR had always been a real soft spot for me, there's just nothing like it.

Out of them all it's definitely Away Team I'm most jazzed for.

I'm also going to get my copy of Space Kraken sometime, I assume, ages after I've paid for it, and I'm morbidly curious whether the creative elements of the gameplay that originally drew me will shine through. The author went real far down a breathless DeviantArt worldbuilding feature creep rabbithole during development and after seeing a head-scratching digital preview copy I'm not holding my breath that it'll be any drat good. But I'm curious all the same and technically "looking forward" to it. :chloe:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 17, 2024

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I've got a few games that I'm pretty excited for coming up. Other than the already mentioned eclipse expansions and iron Rails 4, I'm looking forward to the oranienburger kanal that's been picked up by another publisher so I may have a chance to actually get ahold of it.

Also shipwrights of the North sea redux and la famiglia are on my docket for the first time this Friday and I'm super excited to try both.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

CitizenKeen posted:

A friend and fellow goon picked up Molly House after a little nudging, and I cannot wait to try that out.

This is the way to try new games. Pressure some sap to buy it.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Last one I really wanted was Come Sail Away! from Saashi and Saashi, which is a Mancala like game where you try to sort different colored meeple into their respective rooms.

It plays really nicely and I enjoy the artstyle. I couldn't get my copy at Spiel so I ordered it fron Japan and it took like 3 days to get to Germany.

Otherwise there is like nothing at the moment that I'm interested in.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Molly House and Arcs are will arrive at some point. Aside from that there isn't much.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm most looking forward to 1833 1/3 which has been in development for like over a decade now at this point, but I'm also incredibly out of the loop as it comes to boardgames in general now.

On a side note, is anyone here at/going to Magfest this week?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Molly House and Arcs are will arrive at some point. Aside from that there isn't much.

Oh yeah, Arcs. I do like me some space games.

Although I *was* looking forward to Voidfall until the rules density with multiple pages of symbol lookup definitions made me feel tired just looking at it, and I sold it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Saw this news in a few different places: Goliath Acquires Funko Games, Prospero Hall

That's the same Funko as in the vinyl pop figures. They made a game division and scooped up some companies. They're also apparently massively in debt and made news last year by burying millions of dollars of their pops. Propsero Hall is a game design studio that has worked on a lot of licensed games, except they are typically well received rather than poo poo. Horrified, Villianous and Pan Am are probably the most notable ones. As far as what this will mean for the studio, well according to someone on The Secret Cabal discord who claims to have worked there, most of the actual people got cut prior to this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah it's very sad, gently caress capitalism, etc, because from all I've heard, they made some of the only tie in properties board games that were any good, bsg being a notable other example.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

At least it wasn't a Private Equity firm I guess. Also, I had no idea Loungefly was a Funko brand.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it's very sad, gently caress capitalism, etc, because from all I've heard, they made some of the only tie in properties board games that were any good, bsg being a notable other example.

Depending on what you're tying in with. I can think of a few pretty good tie-in games.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

Gale Force 9 has made some that I have heard are good too, but I've never played any of them.

edit: vvv Actually, I have played Tyrants and I liked it okay. I was thinking more of Spartacus, Star Trek Ascendancy, and some others.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 18, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

GF9 is responsible for Tyrants of the Underdark, a highly thematic D&D deckbuilder I have played a ton of.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Magnetic North posted:

Gale Force 9 has made some that I have heard are good too, but I've never played any of them.

edit: vvv Actually, I have played Tyrants and I liked it okay. I was thinking more of Spartacus, Star Trek Ascendancy, and some others.

The designers of those games are long gone from GF9, unfortunately

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gotta love FedEx

:fart:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

preem work, v. you got the overproduced minis kickstarter there in one piece. the shipping cardboard took a bit of a beating, but the boxes-in-shrink will chill nice on the kallax, right? contract closed.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I really enjoy ST:A when I can bring it to the table, but I haven't heard amazing things about away missions. Has anyone messed with it?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's also a new Black Alert Star Trek game, but I'm not sure what it is.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
There is also that Star Trek: Into the Unknown game coming later this year. Which seems like it will be expensive as poo poo ($150 MSRP). Wonder if it will feel and look as cheap as the normal WizKid product.

Screaming_Gremlin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 18, 2024

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SelenicMartian posted:

There's also a new Black Alert Star Trek game, but I'm not sure what it is.

I've heard that one's pretty good. It's uses the last few episodes of season 1 of Discovery as a premise for an asymmetrical game where mirror universe Michelle Yeoh's huge evil empire spaceship or whatever is chasing the Discovery, but the Discovery has that drive that lets it almost teleport and players can each have a crewperson go to different parts of the ship to effect stuff.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Magnetic North posted:

gently caress no, Spartacus is dire. One of the most tedious gaming experiences of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Neo Rasa posted:

I've heard that one's pretty good. It's uses the last few episodes of season 1 of Discovery as a premise for an asymmetrical game where mirror universe Michelle Yeoh's huge evil empire spaceship or whatever is chasing the Discovery, but the Discovery has that drive that lets it almost teleport and players can each have a crewperson go to different parts of the ship to effect stuff.

So it's Space Alert but grimtrek?