Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh i was wondering why i got a big "UPDATE RIGHT loving NOW" warning, as well as a "mail returned to sender" message that someone was trying to recover my admin password with an email that didn't exist somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

thankfully nobody in their right mind uses gitlab

haha yeah

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Mr. Crow posted:

thankfully nobody in their right mind uses gitlab

*tugging on collar* guuhhhh

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Quoting from the manual of a very expensive instrument:

quote:

The TCP / IP stack is intended to be basically RFC 1122 compliant

intended to be basically compliant

mystes
May 31, 2006

My posts are intended to be basically good most of the time to the extent practicable

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my posts MAY provide good and funny content

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Antigravitas posted:

Quoting from the manual of a very expensive instrument:

intended to be basically compliant

my first ever Linux kernel work was auditing the TCP/IP stack against the RFCs and putting in relevant comments, and I don’t think any stack was actually completely compliant. IIRC there were parts you needed to violate in order to interoperate with some widely-deployed equipment

now that was…almost thirty years ago, so maybe everything is compliant now but, you know, maybe not

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

we're about due for someone to re-re-re-rediscover sequence number packet injection

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the call for papers of the wild

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this is what I got free with an SSD for god knows what reason

don't want my gamertag on the dark web!!!

I don't even know what the game optimiser is supposed to be doing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

sounds like it just limits what its doing to one or two CPU's which like, sure I guess

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

sounds like it just limits what its doing to one or two CPU's which like, sure I guess

that was my only thought. "hey we've got a gamer mode where we won't consume three entire cores to protect your gamer tag from the darkweb"

e: god there's some wallet inspector energy from "we'll scan the internet for your personal information to check it's secure!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

NOTIFICATION OPTIMIZATION

We'll only notify you if your PC is under attack, your protection is at risk, or if you aren't using a feature you're entitled to use

Absolutely love the chutzpah in this one. Why stop trying to upsell people or give them scare notifications about how "your 'protection' is at risk" because you haven't paid for their "protection?" Much easier to just say that you've Optimized their Notifications.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Absolutely love the chutzpah in this one. Why stop trying to upsell people or give them scare notifications about how "your 'protection' is at risk" because you haven't paid for their "protection?" Much easier to just say that you've Optimized their Notifications.

you're entitled to it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

the call for papers of the wild

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Nice notifications you have there. Would be a shame if someone were to optimise them.

All notifications gently caress off.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

getting swatted? use a vpn ya dummy!

for your health

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I just noticed that their password manager is online, just lol if you trust Norton to manage that.

lol if you even store passwords online anyway and don't use synched keepass db files

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

well-read undead posted:

getting swatted? use a vpn ya dummy!

for your health

lol i didn't catch that one at first

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

I just noticed that their password manager is online, just lol if you trust Norton to manage that.

lol if you even store passwords online anyway and don't use synched keepass db files
might be a different product now, but my dad had Norton360 that included a password manager extension, but that was definitely local storage.

when the vault pw stopped working for whatever reason I tried searching for how to recover it. the answer was of course to login to your online backup that you definitely created years ago when you first installed the product! :rolleyes:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Wasn't Norton password manager the one that created "randomly generated passwords" that weren't actually randomly generated and we're the same for every user at a specific time?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

good take

quote:

bad take

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

for what reasons?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

for what reasons?

didn't keepass just get comprimised or something

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for what reasons?

for most people convenient password management makes them way more likely to use good passwords (and generally manage them). some online sync is an important part of convenience for most people.

i'd guess that's the reasoning at least.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

for most people convenient password management makes them way more likely to use good passwords (and generally manage them). some online sync is an important part of convenience for most people.

keepass db synced via something like dropbox is effectively online sync and has been working fine for me over multiple devices for 10+ years, but is definitely not user friendly enough that i would encourage my parents to do it the same way.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Neito posted:

didn't keepass just get comprimised or something

, I guess if there is/was a weakness in the encryption then maybe, but I don't remember seeing anything

DJ Burette posted:

keepass db synced via something like dropbox is effectively online sync and has been working fine for me over multiple devices for 10+ years, but is definitely not user friendly enough that i would encourage my parents to do it the same way.

agreed on both, and I use OneDrive seeing as I get it free or whatever, but that doesn't mean I think that having a commercial 3rd party controlling the vault is a good idea - MS has no sight of the contents or ability to do encryption/decryption. and how many times has last pass (or the other one?) been popped now because they manage both?

The UX is a barrier to entry though you're right, or on Android anyway. Windows clients are a bit better but still a bit overwhelming I expect.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, it's this

bitwarden, 1password, or apple keychain for most use cases is just fine and have a 1000x better ux than keepass

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don't shame people for their password manager choices unless its norton or lastpass

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i use the microsoft edge pasword manager which syncs to microsoft authenticator so i can use them in ios

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

i use the microsoft edge pasword manager which syncs to microsoft authenticator so i can use them in ios

ban this sick filth

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, I can't bring myself to defend that

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://lock.cmpxchg8b.com/passmgrs.html

best password manager is the one built into your browser

second best is a pile of post-it notes

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

i take no pleasure in announcing that shaggar is right

it has like 10% of the features of a normal password manager and sometimes takes forever to sync passwords but it is needs suiting and free.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

shackleford posted:

https://lock.cmpxchg8b.com/passmgrs.html

best password manager is the one built into your browser

second best is a pile of post-it notes
now that's a hell of a url

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

dpkg chopra posted:

i take no pleasure in announcing that shaggar is right

it has like 10% of the features of a normal password manager and sometimes takes forever to sync passwords but it is needs suiting and free.

i keep submitting requests for them to add secure notes and they havent done it.

also it would be great if windows added password managers as a system feature so credentials could be pulled from the manager into standard username/password controls. even if it means apps have to opt in to the feature it would be nice.. its the one feature that ios has added in the last 10 years thats really good.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

would someone repost the study showing reliance on llms causing less secure code?

in a meeting now where it is relevant

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

was it conclusive at all? I don’t remember what N was or what LLM they were using in behind, but grouping all LLM-based code assistants together is not likely to lead to a very useful analysis IMO

like ChatGPT 3 vs 4 vs copilot vs various copilot betas tuned on our repositories produce very different results in my non-exhaustive experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

would someone repost the study showing reliance on llms causing less secure code?

in a meeting now where it is relevant

https://arxiv.org/abs/2211.03622

> We conduct the first large-scale user study examining how users interact with an AI Code assistant to solve a variety of security related tasks across different programming languages. Overall, we find that participants who had access to an AI assistant based on OpenAI's codex-davinci-002 model wrote significantly less secure code than those without access. Additionally, participants with access to an AI assistant were more likely to believe they wrote secure code than those without access to the AI assistant. Furthermore, we find that participants who trusted the AI less and engaged more with the language and format of their prompts (e.g. re-phrasing, adjusting temperature) provided code with fewer security vulnerabilities. Finally, in order to better inform the design of future AI-based Code assistants, we provide an in-depth analysis of participants' language and interaction behavior, as well as release our user interface as an instrument to conduct similar studies in the future.