Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Part of my brain wants to believe it is just an optical illusion. But since it is this thread, I am assuming there really is a shrinking spacing there.

Is that exterior plastic decking railing? Or just really cheap wood that is going to fall apart the first time a child/teen looks at it wrong?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If the railing were to stay parallel to the stair set, it would have to terminate in the ceiling.

Time for wrought-iron scrollwork railing. Something. Just not that.

e: personally, I'd love to install 1" 'balusters,' two per tread, from tread to ceiling (so they ain't really balusters...) - then attach a railing to that. Its kind of a retro look, but I'm old & like that kind of thing.

If you want a real challenge, built a handrail that looks like it's impaled on the balusters

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 15, 2024

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It's impossible to predict where railings will end up

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You simpletons just can't recognise an Art Deco balustrade when you see one.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PainterofCrap posted:

If the railing were to stay parallel to the stair set, it would have to terminate in the ceiling.

Time for wrought-iron scrollwork railing. Something. Just not that.

e: personally, I'd love to install 1" 'balusters,' two per tread, from tread to ceiling (so they ain't really balusters...) - then attach a railing to that. Its kind of a retro look, but I'm old & like that kind of thing.

If you want a real challenge, built a handrail that looks like it's impaled on the balusters

Is that a problem? I think it kind of does anyway.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cat Hatter posted:

Is that a problem? I think it kind of does anyway.

Apparently, it was to whomever approved that mess.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

PainterofCrap posted:

Apparently, it was to whomever approved that mess.

I think it's more likely that they cut the balustrade without measuring the angle of the stairs and didn't have enough material left to correct it without gaps.

Funny because id assume the huge pillars were the result of the exact same mistake.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Computer viking posted:

I honestly didn't expect that part of florida to have any mineral worth digging up, but I guess a bit of strip mining fits the general mood.

The biggest phosphate producing area is called Bone Valley, which sounds like a misnomer for any place in Florida.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Thought the bathroom was unusually cold and guess what, the fitters put a massive hole in for the toilet waste and didn't bother sealing it up so there was a massive gap into the eaves blasting cold air in. I only found this because I was in the eaves doing something else and saw the light coming through, though probably would have worked it out eventually.

Stuffed the gap full of rockwool from the ceiling insulation below and problem solved.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sash! posted:

The biggest phosphate producing area is called Bone Valley, which sounds like a misnomer for any place in Florida.

What's a valley in Florida? A hole just deep enough to trip in?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

kid sinister posted:

What's a valley in Florida? A hole just deep enough to trip in?

I never thought of myself as agoraphobic but after a life of growing up in the PNW in river valley after river valley with the comforting embrace of tree covered slopes on most sides, something felt deeply wrong about Florida and the horizon being uniformly flat.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Arrath posted:

I never thought of myself as agoraphobic but after a life of growing up in the PNW in river valley after river valley with the comforting embrace of tree covered slopes on most sides, something felt deeply wrong about Florida and the horizon being uniformly flat.

That was a lot of words when you could just have said

Arrath posted:

something felt deeply wrong about Florida

And left it at that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fair point

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hooooolyyyyy shiiiit

https://i.imgur.com/S3L4JJW.gifv

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh my god these things usually end at some point and you're like heh yeah I wouldn't make those choices. This is a whole other level

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It looks like a house owned by a builder who made everything out of their off cuts and the materials torn out of the jobs that they didn't get paid for.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Well where else am I supposed to practice my tiling :mad:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The water in the keybox, while very minor, is like nature itself was trying to warn you away by attempting to hide the key from you

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Well where else am I supposed to practice my tiling :mad:

For as mismatched as those floor tiles were, they all appeared to be laid well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

For as mismatched as those floor tiles were, they all appeared to be laid well.

I’m confused. Did we watch the same video?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'd say that's not too bad considering what they had to work with.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

So why the climb in the last 5 years? Actuary science! Haha actually it's hurricanes. In the last decade we have seen incomprehensible increases in hurricane activity. 2020 was the most active hurricane season of all time.

First, by what definition? 2005 had more hurricanes (15 vs 14), more major hurricanes, and more category 5 hurricanes, and the two years are tied in number of tropical cyclones. And it's not really of "all time," it's "since modern monitoring." Even in the last century there were hurricanes that went unnoticed because we didn't have weather satellites and radar. Second, then that was followed up in 2022 by a big drop in activity, also the first time in almost 25 years that there were no tropical cyclones until September.

quote:

We have breached the gates of Hurricane Science and are not just treading, but sprinting into uncharted territory. God can't stop us and death is certain, and the insurance companies are scared as all hell.

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/

quote:

There is no strong evidence of century-scale increasing trends in U.S. landfalling hurricanes or major hurricanes. Similarly for Atlantic basin-wide hurricane frequency (after adjusting for changing observing capabilities over time), there is not strong evidence for an increase since the late 1800s in hurricanes, major hurricanes, or the proportion of hurricanes that reach major hurricane intensity.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-24268-5

quote:

To evaluate past changes in frequency, we have here developed a homogenization method for Atlantic hurricane and major hurricane frequency over 1851–2019. We find that recorded century-scale increases in Atlantic hurricane and major hurricane frequency, and associated decrease in USA hurricanes strike fraction, are consistent with changes in observing practices and not likely a true climate trend. After homogenization, increases in basin-wide hurricane and major hurricane activity since the 1970s are not part of a century-scale increase, but a recovery from a deep minimum in the 1960s–1980s. We suggest internal (e.g., Atlantic multidecadal) climate variability and aerosol-induced mid-to-late-20th century major hurricane frequency reductions have probably masked century-scale greenhouse-gas warming contributions to North Atlantic major hurricane frequency.

In other words, once you adjust for all the hurricanes we used to not be able to observe, to the extent that hurricanes are becoming more frequent, it's a regression to the historical mean from an unusually quiet period. Hurricanes cause more financial damage because we have built a bunch more stuff in areas that are regularly hit by hurricanes, and that causes increased exposure for insurers. A storm that would previously have hit an uninhabited barrier island now wipes out a bunch of vacation homes, 2023 is tied for the 4th-most-active season with 1933, but 2023 caused caused way more damage, etc.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 16, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

I’m confused. Did we watch the same video?

Grout lines look good, no tip hazards.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

$450,000 in a suburb an hour south of Sacramento

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Not one but two outhouses, classic

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

This is a weird post. 2020 was the most active hurricane season in history because it had the most named storms. That is the definition of activity in the context of hurricane seasons. The only one. I don't know how you could have the stake you apparently have without knowing that.

Beyond that, my argument was never that we're having more hurricanes than before. I kind of avoided making any argument specifically because, well, this isn't the place to do that. But if you'd like to do this, let's do it properly:

The driver for hurricane damage in Florida as of late isn't more hurricanes or even stronger hurricanes, it's actually less predictable hurricanes. In the 80s and 90s (which were, as you indicated, the most active period of hurricane strikes on US soil in recorded history) a combination of less-granular predictions and lower-confidence models meant that, generally, hurricanes struck in places that were prepared for them.

This is good, as even 72 hours of preparation is associated with dramatically improved outcomes in terms of loss of life and property damage.

As of late, however, predictions have gotten worse. Much worse. Hurricane Irma struck Cuba as a Cat 5, then went on to strike Collier County (far south on the Gulf Coast of Florida) as a Cat 3. Cat 3 hurricanes are usually minimally lethal, but somehow Irma killed 84 loving people in Florida (that's top ten ever bee tee dubs). Why? How?

NOAA's ensemble model killed them. More specifically, NOAA's ensemble model couldn't make up its loving mind, and painted the entire Gulf coast of the state as a reasonably likely landing for the storm. This meant that supplies couldn't be effectively directed, emergency crews couldn't stage in useful locations or concentrate in areas of need, and water management crews throughout the state had to prepare for potential flood mitigation from all directions, in all directions (which is not possible and ends up being functionally identical to not preparing at all).

NOAA said the storm miiiiight hit the Panhandle 36 hours out. They said it coooooould hit Okeechobee 24 hours out. This level of inaccuracy is unfortunately becoming more common, but Irma was a strong negative outlier. The state went into an all-out panic. 6.4 million people evacuated. We lack the infrastructure to accomplish that type of evacuation, so major highways were converted to one-ways, which dramatically diminished our ability to move assets as needed when we found out where the storm was actually going to go. Then as the models firmed up, some evacuees turned around, dramatically compounding the problem. When it made landfall in Collier County there were still people on I-75 trying to evacuate.

In absolutely no uncertain terms, this had a cost in human lives, infrastructure, and property.

We learned from this, but not necessarily the correct lessons. We learned, for example, that the UF ensemble model is better at predicting landfall at the 72 hour mark than the NOAA ensemble. A lot of people who evacuated from places that didn't get hit also learned that evacuating is for suckers. That's not entirely true, but it is an example of how unpredictable models result in deaths not only for the hurricanes they fail to predict, but also moving forward.

So yeah, hurricanes are getting meaningfully and measurably worse, as is NOAA, and Floridians get to pay the price. Whee! The pro move, as always, is not to be a Floridian.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 16, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What was the tagline for Wargames? The only winning move is not to play?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

This is a weird post. 2020 was the most active hurricane season in history because it had the most named storms. That is the definition of activity in the context of hurricane seasons. The only one. I don't know how you could have the stake you apparently have without knowing that.

What even is this argument?

Paper by weather scientists: "We record [and name] more hurricanes than before because our abilities and practices have changed. To make the data more useful, we have tried to compensate for that effect".
Forum rando: "How can you be so dumb. Names are the only thing that count. As you would know if you weren't so dumb. Idiot."

Only mildly exaggerating, of course. :)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fish storms before 1965 never happened, because we couldn't name them when no one saw them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

kid sinister posted:

What was the tagline for Wargames? The only winning move is not to play?

“A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.”

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

“A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.”

A strange state. The only survival move is not to go there.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Computer viking posted:

What even is this argument?

Paper by weather scientists: "We record [and name] more hurricanes than before because our abilities and practices have changed. To make the data more useful, we have tried to compensate for that effect".
Forum rando: "How can you be so dumb. Names are the only thing that count. As you would know if you weren't so dumb. Idiot."

Only mildly exaggerating, of course. :)

This is such a fuckin weird derail.

https://www.noaa.gov/news/2020-atlantic-hurricane-season-takes-infamous-top-spot-for-busiest-on-record posted:

the formation of Subtropical Storm Theta on November 10 over the northeastern Atlantic Ocean made the 2020 season the most active on record.

This is the only definition of "active" I've ever heard any media in this state use in this context. It's weird to have a bunch of non-floridians trying to debate the way that people talk about hurricanes with a person who lived half his life in South Florida and literally survived Andrew.

And we've been naming hurricanes with human names since 1953, and prior to that we just called them year-number. We have really, really good data on storms as far back as the 30s.

Anyway how about that crappy construction?

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 17, 2024

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I've lived in Florida my whole life and freely admit that enduring hurricanes has done nothing to increase my understanding of the science of hurricanes or how they are measured.

getting in a last word while decrying the idea of continuing the conversation is a silly thing to do

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've survived every hurricane that's ever hit Florida and anywhere else on the gulf coast. Ama.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/198fk66/plumbers_recklessly_ripped_through_all_these/

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

I bought a house where they did this with joists for the second floor and the whole second floor sagged in that direction AMA

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

shoeberto posted:

I bought a house where they did this with joists for the second floor and the whole second floor sagged in that direction AMA

Why?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Pipes Must Flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I think it has to do with gravity.