Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Bad Munki posted:

Based on my recent experiences, betcha it filled the storage 100% with logs and then choked.

It really, probably is this.
Heed their advice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

Alright, well, ran into another snag. Running the camera stream appears to be giving me a memory leak because after about 45 minutes, the pi freezes. I need to fiddle with some settings. >_>

it’s a start!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Warbird posted:

You should probably be running log2ram out of the box to try and preserve your SD card as much as possible. Throwing on some decent log rotation would be the next thing to do.

Or boot off media that isn't an SD card.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I can't remember anymore if I've spammed this thread with my gushing enthusiasm for Alpine, but I just switched over to it from Ubuntu, and I'm a big fan. It allows you to run the entire OS out of RAM, and is quite lean on what services it starts by default. I use runit, which has built-in "log rotation" that only eats a few KB, but I would expect the default syslogd to work similarly.

It does have a persistence mechanism, but you have to tell it "now commit my changes to storage". If you forget to do that, too bad, you lose your /etc modifications (including what packages are installed) when you reboot. This is actually what I want: I want the system to only write to the card when I tell it to.

If you think you're running out of storage, or are worried about too many writes to the SD card, I encourage you to look into Alpine.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Anyone know of speech recognition software which is light enough to run on a Pi 3 (512MB of memory)? I'm just looking to do a modest set of pre-programmed commands, with one of them being "ship whatever I say next up to a more advanced speech recognition API, if we have network".

I remember playing with a program called "cvoicecontrol" way back in like 2003, where you'd speak each command a few times and it did a surprisingly good job, but of course that software's been abandoned for like 15+ years.

I used to work on something like this in my last job, on a Pi no less for prototyping - basically custom audio software hooked into something like Amazon Alexa. You might have some luck googling 'wake word detector' which does exactly this - recognises a few set phrases (like, say, 'Alexa') at which point you can stream whatever you hear after that to the cloud service of your choice.

Edit: I know we looked at https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-porcupine/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cruft posted:

I can't remember anymore if I've spammed this thread with my gushing enthusiasm for Alpine, but I just switched over to it from Ubuntu, and I'm a big fan.

How big a pain is it to add the libraries to get pi functions working, like the camera or messing with gpio? That's mainly why I stick with rpi's ubuntu, all that stuff comes pre-configured. I haven't corrupted an sd card in a long time either because I'm pretty careful about writing to the sd.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

How big a pain is it to add the libraries to get pi functions working, like the camera or messing with gpio? That's mainly why I stick with rpi's ubuntu, all that stuff comes pre-configured. I haven't corrupted an sd card in a long time either because I'm pretty careful about writing to the sd.

I've never messed with GPIO or camera on a RPi, but I'm pretty sure you just read/write to a memory-mapped location (after doing some trick to set things up, possibly mapping an interrupt condition), right? I'd think that would be part of the kernel, and the rest is libraries to make it easier to interface with.

So, there's a Python3 GPIO package: https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/community/armhf/py3-rpigpio
There's this thing that looks like a C library: https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/testing/armv7/pigpio
There are Camera and GPIO sections on their wiki: https://archlinuxarm.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Are these what you're looking for, or is it more like you want specific apps?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, I know how to do it. I was just curious how well the OS accommodates it. I've used alpine in other workloads so it's mostly a question of whether the appropriate packages exist or not.. which it appears they do so that's cool.

I might try it out next time I'm doing a build.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

Alright, well, ran into another snag. Running the camera stream appears to be giving me a memory leak because after about 45 minutes, the pi freezes. I need to fiddle with some settings. >_>

Bad Munki posted:

Based on my recent experiences, betcha it filled the storage 100% with logs and then choked.

Finally got a chance to get this out a bit more and do some more testing.

Sadly, it is not, in fact, bulked out logs. I had it running with htop up, and happened to catch it as it froze. Right before it locked up, the second core of the processor just spiked to 100% (and only the second core :psyduck: ) Camera stream frozen. Monitor display frozen. Welp...

To make this spicier, I also happened to have been remoted into it via VNC. The core spike only lasted about 10 - 15 seconds. After it goes back to normal, I was able to still control the Pi remotely, but the stream and the pi's monitor remained frozen. And it didn't seem to be lagging at all through VNC. As if something causes the processor to have an aneurism and lose its ability to display poo poo but still do work. >_>

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Finally got a chance to get this out a bit more and do some more testing.

Sadly, it is not, in fact, bulked out logs. I had it running with htop up, and happened to catch it as it froze. Right before it locked up, the second core of the processor just spiked to 100% (and only the second core :psyduck: ) Camera stream frozen. Monitor display frozen. Welp...

To make this spicier, I also happened to have been remoted into it via VNC. The core spike only lasted about 10 - 15 seconds. After it goes back to normal, I was able to still control the Pi remotely, but the stream and the pi's monitor remained frozen. And it didn't seem to be lagging at all through VNC. As if something causes the processor to have an aneurism and lose its ability to display poo poo but still do work. >_>

Oh. This might be why there's a new camera API... :ohdear:

I have this vague recollection of running into a similar issue trying to use the old (documented) API for hardware H.264 encoding. It took me a couple days to pick apart how to use the new (undocumented) one, but then it stopped freezing.

Can you find a thing that uses the new one and still does what you need?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Does anyone have a recommended application to test SD cards, or at the point where one is a few years old and has ever done anything iffy should I throw them away? This is for more than just Pis, for better or worse I've got a lot of SD cards in a lot of different devices.

Also, is the official case the best way to cool a 5? How do they hold up with just a passive heatsink on there instead of a fan? Is there any way to throttle down target power instead? I want to use a 5 as a (toy) ARM CI server, comparing it to cross compiling + QEMU emulation on x86. If heat throttling just makes it slower without any wear or damage concerns, I'd be happy just to let it throttle.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the official case is just a plastic heat trap so it's not great, especially if you aren't running active cooling

there's some beefy passive heatsink cases which can soak a lot of watts

https://www.tomshardware.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-cases/edatec-raspberry-pi-5-cases-review-passively-cool

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

repiv posted:

the official case is just a plastic heat trap so it's not great, especially if you aren't running active cooling

there's some beefy passive heatsink cases which can soak a lot of watts

https://www.tomshardware.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-cases/edatec-raspberry-pi-5-cases-review-passively-cool

I use a beefy passive heatsink on my Pi4 and have yet to hit the throttle temperature even when all cores are pegged.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Don't peg your cores

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
DrakeNo: pegging your cores

DrakeYes: pegging your butt

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you aren't pegging the cores are you even trying

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

VictualSquid posted:

The main complaint about the RPI power situation has always been about its enormous power usage spikes that need a power supply 3 times the size that the average power draw suggests.

Is this the sort of thing that could in theory be mitigated with a chunky capacitor somewhere?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Computer viking posted:

Is this the sort of thing that could in theory be mitigated with a chunky capacitor somewhere?

Yes, most power supply hats actually provide that afaik. Though they also use the opportunity to add compatibility to an actual power supply standard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dammit I needed that part to remain attached.

I am a gorilla not fit to use a socket.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Raspberry Pi on IPO plans: 'We want to be ready when the markets are ready'

quote:

The Raspberry Pi company is again preparing the ground for an initial public offering (IPO), appointing bankers Peel Hunt and Jefferies ahead of a planned listing on the London Stock Exchange.

CEO Eben Upton told The Register that the organization was still early in the process: "We want to be ready when the markets are ready.

"The business is in a much better place than it was last time we looked at it. We partly stopped because the markets got bad. And we partly stopped because our business became unpredictable."

"Unpredictable" is an understatement for many who attempted to acquire certain models of the computer during the supply chain crunches of recent years. "The public markets value predictability as much as they value performance," said Upton.

When a listing happens, will things change for the company? Upton hopes not, at least not while he remains at the helm. "We've always tried to run a business that does interesting work and makes money, and I don't think those imperatives are going to change. We will keep doing the same stuff. Certainly while I'm in charge."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:rip:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
excited for rPi to suck poo poo and eventually sell its assets to softbank

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Those are awful quotes by Upton :stare:

Are we at the beginning of the end?

"The business is in a much better place than it was last time we looked at it"

Good thing the CEO of the Company literally states "since last time we looked at it."
That should be daily task #1, but okay :rolleyes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Eagerly awaiting some subscription bullshit or an attempt to license the HAT specification

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RPi6 will integrated facebook posting so your family can know what degenerate purposes your Pi is involved in

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I wonder if there is a market for something similar to the Pi with a higher targeted performance. That is covered by the Beelink and so on but I’m thinking something more standardized. I had hoped that’s what the initial stab at Steam Machine/SteamPS would have done but eh. I suppose their failure is likely the answer to my question.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Warbird posted:

I wonder if there is a market for something similar to the Pi with a higher targeted performance. That is covered by the Beelink and so on but I’m thinking something more standardized. I had hoped that’s what the initial stab at Steam Machine/SteamPS would have done but eh. I suppose their failure is likely the answer to my question.

I've got a ZimaBoard gathering dust on the shelf if you want to give it a run. I wasn't able to get it to boot a Debian install media.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Warbird posted:

There are the jetson single board computers if you want to shell out $500+

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Warbird posted:

Standardized in what way, just the form factor? NUC motherboards are 4" square except for the weird variants with upgraded IGP/PCIe graphics support. Past that you're looking at the "Tiny/Mini/Micro" style PCs which seem to be popular enough and fairly standard proportions within a given OEM.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 30, 2024

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

cruft posted:

I've got a ZimaBoard gathering dust on the shelf if you want to give it a run. I wasn't able to get it to boot a Debian install media.

Just curious, which model? There are three.
I don’t want to hijack from the other guy, but I am curious.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The reason the Pi is so popular is the effort that they put into making software work properly on it rather than shipping a bag of parts and going "lol you figure it out". If someone else decides to care about distro support on their small tinkering SBC then the Pi has almost no value.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

If someone else decides to care about distro support on their small tinkering SBC then the Pi has almost no value.

Luckily for rpi, I don't think anyone else gives a poo poo

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

The reason the Pi is so popular is the effort that they put into making software work properly on it rather than shipping a bag of parts and going "lol you figure it out". If someone else decides to care about distro support on their small tinkering SBC then the Pi has almost no value.

Exactly. While you’d want something of a fairly standard form factor I’m more mentally picturing something taking a similar approach to the iPad where you get a newer better version every few years that allows for better sorcerer support as you’re limiting potential deltas.

Synology has a decent implementation of this, though it’s not a perfect example.

V V V V - Hell, same.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 31, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

BiNo No chyba [+[
DIi;;;]

edit: I was doing through my own post history and found this, I have no idea what happened. Apologies.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 17, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The real question is when will people have enough that the community at large decides to drop Raspberry Pi OS.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Got my pi 5. I plug my Nintendo switch usb-c power supply in and I get an error from the pi OS that this is not a 5 amp charger and that power to accessories might be diminished
Fair enough. I plug the Pi 5 into my MacBook Pro power supply which shows 5A on the plastic case and I still see the same 5A error.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi-5.html#powering-raspberry-pi-5

quote:

It’s not possible to use older USB "dumb" cables and connectors to provide more than 15W, even with a USB-PD capable supply.

Apparently I’m just using the wrong cables and should have gotten their official power supply. I wonder if performance is degraded in 3A vs 5A

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You more or less have to use the Pi charger they sell as the 5 uses a nonstandard (it is a standard, but no one actually uses it iirc) PowerDelivery spec. You haven’t really been able to just plug whatever into a Pi since I want to say the 3.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Coffee Jones posted:

I wonder if performance is degraded in 3A vs 5A

No. You just can't pass extra power to things plugged into the USB ports on the Pi.

If you aren't using high-power USB devices, there is zero need for the special 5A official supply.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

pi isn't even the gold standard for ARM distro support, the server-class ARM systems from ampere or whoever have fully upstreamed drivers and UEFI firmware that lets them boot unmodified generic distros exactly like an x86 machine

the only company trying to scale that down to cheap SBCs is librecomputer but they're stuck with relatively old chips since they don't have the resources to work on upstreaming newer stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

repiv posted:

pi isn't even the gold standard for ARM distro support, the server-class ARM systems from ampere or whoever have fully upstreamed drivers and UEFI firmware that lets them boot unmodified generic distros exactly like an x86 machine

the only company trying to scale that down to cheap SBCs is librecomputer but they're stuck with relatively old chips since they don't have the resources to work on upstreaming newer stuff

Broadcom is the problem and always have been. There's a good reason why Qualcomm, Broadcom, Mediatek, or any of the other mobile chipset vendors have failed to make big inroads while Apple, Ampere and Annapurna have been able to sell into consumer and server markets.