Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Warbird posted:

That seems bad. They should take some of ours.

If I'm not mistaken, you guys got their OLine coach. He is really drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Feeling better about Oklahoma drawing Alabama in the "welcome to the SEC" schedule sweepstakes

Reading Twitter takes of "we have to play @OU the week before Auburn? What the gently caress?????" definitely made me feel warm inside

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I dunno how worried they should be, really, but we'll definitely know by then

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

At this rate, Bama will be lucky to leave Madison with a win in Week 3.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

LeeMajors posted:

I completely forgot Pruitt existed lol

Imagine Georgia hiring Pruitt instead of Kirby when they fired Richt

:sigh:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I dunno how worried they should be, really, but we'll definitely know by then

I mean yeah, I wasn't trying to imply OU is gonna be a juggernaut next season, but if we're not any better than the annual FCS tuneup before the Iron Bowl then lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

We still have spring transfers so I'll hold off on nervously vibrating myself down to the earth's core until then.

Or maybe I won't. It's cold as poo poo.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

If I'm not mistaken, you guys got their OLine coach. He is really drat good.

https://twitter.com/Hayesfawcett3/status/1747673894306079024

LOL

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Imagine Georgia hiring Pruitt instead of Kirby when they fired Richt

:sigh:

Pruitt was Richt's DC when they fired Richt and there was no way they were gonna promote him

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Bama may have more kids in the portal than UW at this point but it's probably close.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

D.N. Nation posted:

Pruitt was Richt's DC when they fired Richt and there was no way they were gonna promote him

I couldn't remember when Pruitt joined Bama so w/e

Point is, Kirby being the one Saban crony that's worked out is bullshit

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol there's a legit possibility Bama could lose 5-7 games next year. @Wisconsin, vs. Georgia, at Tennessee, vs. Missouri, @ LSU, @ Oklahoma, vs. Auburn are all very losable games with the current state of the team.

Also, Downs rules but Ohio State needs to throw whatever money it can to lure Proctor over. If they can get him, it allows Fryar to move in to his natural position at RG and Simmons to his natural spot at RT. It could completely overhaul the line.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

The bigger issue for UW is the transfer portal in addition to the already heavy turnover due to graduation/declaring early. It was already going to be a very different team, the coaching change just made it exponential.

I feel like if you're a player in a coaching change there really isn't a reason not to enter the portal just to see what else is out there, even if you ultimately end up staying. You didn't have a choice that you would end up with a different coach but you do have a choice who it ends up being.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bama wasn't hustling with the NIL as much as the other big schools, right?

I dunno if these decisions are all money-based, but it can't help

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

Rumor on the block was one of the many reason's Saban retired was because he was done with NIL.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
UW has to hope they get the last few UA coaches and start pulling some transfers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Rumor on the block was one of the many reason's Saban retired was because he was done with NIL.

They'll have to play some catchup if they didn't build out the capacity as much as the other powerhouses.

Next year is looking super critical for them. If they can keep winning and keep improving their players' NFL Draft stocks, the NIL deficit probably matters a lot less.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

dphi posted:

UW has to hope they get the last few UA coaches and start pulling some transfers

UW doesn't have a QB right now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think you’re just going to see heavy roster turnover turnover any time there’s a coaching change no matter who you are, even if you’re a top 5 program. If you’re Alabama or Ohio State or whoever, you’re probably going to be able to replace that talent pretty quick.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/industry/football/2024/?position=qb&status=best-available

:barf:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

PostNouveau posted:

Where guys elect to go might be swayed by money but most of the kids leaving now are leaving because they signed on to play with the greatest college coach ever and he’s not there anymore. If Kirby retired you can bet Georgia would see a shitload of transfers as well.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The man was 72, I don’t think you need to go looking too hard for reasons why he retired beyond being too old to do his extremely demanding job anymore.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Where guys elect to go might be swayed by money but most of the kids leaving now are leaving because they signed on to play with the greatest college coach ever and he’s not there anymore. If Kirby retired you can bet Georgia would see a shitload of transfers as well.

For sure, but Isiah Bond did post on his Instagram from the Lamborghini dealership in Austin.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I think a lot of these kids are getting bad advice. I'm glad they have agency but the school hopping for phantom nil deals seems super shortsighted.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Warbird posted:

The dumbass tweets have a nugget of truth in there that isn't new but has become extremely apparent to the homers. I love that the kids are getting properly compensated and can more reasonably move schools, but I do wonder how long this can go on without regulation or it all just exploding. I'm not sure it's a solvable problem either as any attempt to reign things in will just have it go back to bag men and so on. "Ignorance" was bliss I suppose.

Boo hoo - signed the University of Washington Huskies

Luckily DeBoer’s strength is recruiting so you guys will be back to landing guys instead of them choosing UGA and Texas in no time….

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Right and I think Fifita is still in play if they get the right coaches in

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I think everyone needs to settle down about this

Kids enter the portal on a coaching change because they can. Reminder that Rome, Polk and McMillan all did two years ago.

The actual problem for a program is if they start leaving, like is happening to Bama lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think a lot of these kids are getting bad advice. I'm glad they have agency but the school hopping for phantom nil deals seems super shortsighted.

Yeah the grey market bagman poo poo was already ruled by the shadiest liaisons imaginable, now it’s legal and they are “agents.”

Impressionable kids and desperate families with huge dollar figures dangling in front of them is like the ripest situation for middleman grift I can imagine.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

I think everyone needs to settle down about this

Kids enter the portal on a coaching change because they can. Reminder that Rome, Polk and McMillan all did two years ago.

The actual problem for a program is if they start leaving, like is happening to Bama lol

It was already reported that Noah and Tet are staying in Arizona. So we'll see. But if I were a UW fan, I'd be slightly nervous.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

It was already reported that Noah and Tet are staying in Arizona. So we'll see. But if I were a UW fan, I'd be slightly nervous.

So you’re saying that kids who enter the portal when their coach leaves often end up staying? That was my exact point.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah the grey market bagman poo poo was already ruled by the shadiest liaisons imaginable, now it’s legal and they are “agents.”

Impressionable kids and desperate families with huge dollar figures dangling in front of them is like the ripest situation for middleman grift I can imagine.

Wasn't there a kid in the NFL recently that signed the worst NIL deal where they owed most of their league salary in perpetuity?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Wasn't there a kid in the NFL recently that signed the worst NIL deal where they owed most of their league salary in perpetuity?

Yeah I saw something like that a few weeks back. I mean, it’s evergreen, but there’s a whole loving stable of pop warner tyrants foaming at the mouth to defraud as many phenoms as possible.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fluffdaddy posted:

lol holy poo poo

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38335229/florida-legislator-says-bears-dt-gervon-dexter-nil-deal-violated-law

quote:

The NIL contract that Chicago Bears rookie Gervon Dexter signed with a speculative investment capital company while playing at the University of Florida in 2022 violated a state NIL law in place at the time, the Florida state legislator who sponsored the bill told ESPN on Tuesday.

Dexter, a second-round draft pick, agreed to pay Big League Advance Fund (BLA) 15% of his pre-tax NFL earnings for the next 25 years in exchange for a one-time payment of $436,485 in 2022, according to a copy of a federal lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court in Gainesville, Florida, on Friday.

According to published reports, Dexter signed a four-year, $6.72 million contract with the Bears on June 16, meaning he would owe BLA about $1 million over the lifetime of that deal.

Hopefully that's not legal! Pre-tax!!!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Oh poo poo I forgot it was Gervon.

Man, as reliable as the sunrise—fleecing these financially illiterate kids.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah I saw something like that a few weeks back. I mean, it’s evergreen, but there’s a whole loving stable of pop warner tyrants foaming at the mouth to defraud as many phenoms as possible.

Worse than pop warner tyrants -- investment capital firms

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

PostNouveau posted:

Worse than pop warner tyrants -- investment capital firms

I mean predatory loans are nothing new but PE won’t be investing in HS kids. I hope? gently caress I don’t know market speculation shows up everywhere and PE is worse than loving cancer so who even knows anymore.

Anyway, burn it to the ground and pay kids a standard salary from the school with transfer rules and let them make their own endorsement deals independent of university.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

QBs are for cowards. Just run.

E: UW appears to have 4 QBs (non transfers) available for 2024?

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 17, 2024

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

A Sneaker Broker posted:

This is what I've been reading as well. I'm sure it bodes well for our program that the guy we hired can't bring any of the top players from his last program.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

QBs are for cowards. Just run.

Avery Johnson would like a word.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

This is what I've been reading as well. I'm sure it bodes well for our program that the guy we hired can't bring any of the top players from his last program.

I have a bunch of family friends who are Washington alum who are sweating bullets at the moment. And as I'm writing this post,

https://x.com/PeteNakos_/status/1747687525173391829?s=20

L. O. L. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

All this would’ve been avoided if the NCAA hadn’t held so tightly to fake amateurism. They made the kids scrap for any compensation whatsoever, lost badly, and now the floodgates are open.

There will be no roster stability until we get to some equilibrium with standardized compensation and employment contracts. It’s going to be hosed until then as the kids (and let’s face it, their families and agents) do everything they can to milk as much money out of the system as they can.

Yeah, a pretty simple solution would be the school and the players sign a piece of paper saying "I, student, promise to play football your school for 4 years in exchange, you, school, promise to give me $x". But apparently that's a horrible evil that would destroy the very fabric of america or whatever the gently caress bullshit the NCAA is spewing.