Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Interesting. I thought they'd be pretty cheap since Bluetooth has taken over. I have USB ports in the TV, and it'll read mp4, avi, etc off a drive. I assume it won't have the appropriate driver to use my Bluetooth dongle and earbuds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Interesting. I thought they'd be pretty cheap since Bluetooth has taken over. I have USB ports in the TV, and it'll read mp4, avi, etc off a drive. I assume it won't have the appropriate driver to use my Bluetooth dongle and earbuds though.

RF wireless audio is still widely used professionally for things like wireless mics and professional wireless iems where any latency outside of low single digit millisecond amounts is unacceptable for live performance. Audio via bluetooth, even with whatever proposed low latency codes aren't available yet for consumer use, can't touch the essentially zero latency that analog RF audio does. For the average consumer, using RF instead of bluetooth means you won't get out of sync audio from the video.

With RF, you're always going to be spending more to get a reliable wireless connection that can handle a distance of even a few feet. Reliable systems have never been cheap; they're pretty much evergreen regardless of what other stuff is going on in the audio world because they fit a specific role.

Personally, if I had to spend money on a set of wireless headphones for that kind of use, I would probably splurge a little and get something by Sennheiser, because they've had "TV headphones" for decades so they at least have some idea of what they're doing.

As for your TV, that USB port is probably designed to only read data and only output 5v power.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 17, 2024

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

man, RF headphones are a blast from the past
had a pair of senheisser RF headphones over a decade ago to use with my TV - it was good for the time and no latency unlike bluetooth but i recall having a lot of signal issues when i walked around

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ok right on, thanks yall. I'll probably just use my laptop rather than the TV when I want to watch at night.

Thats interesting about the latency. I didn't realize it was that bad with Bluetooth, but I guess even aside from that you can't have the chance of disconnection or deal with all the pairing bullshit for however many monitors for a touring band.

I was also thinking about getting a set for when I ride my bike on the trainer, but for that I can just get a long patch cord for my iems.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Aren't analog-to-Bluetooth transmitters a viable option? I know my brother has one for vinyl (an Avantree Oasis BTTC-500). A brief look shows that quality and pricing is all over the place for this type of hardware, so I can't make a recommendation for a specific model. The one I just mentioned is reasonably priced and doesn't appear to be pure Chinesium like a lot of the others though.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 17, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's still a bluetooth connection at the end of the day.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Theres a new wireless standard called SKAA thats supposed to be low latency. Not wide vendor support yet.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Zorilla posted:

Aren't analog-to-Bluetooth transmitters a viable option? I know my brother has one for vinyl (an Avantree Oasis BTTC-500). A brief look shows that quality and pricing is all over the place for this type of hardware, so I can't make a recommendation for a specific model. The one I just mentioned is reasonably priced and doesn't appear to be pure Chinesium like a lot of the others though.

Short answer: no.

If you're trying to do something where precision matters, like audio/video timing so that they are in sync, as it stands, Bluetooth will always have noticeable latency because of the overhead caused by the processing at both ends of the signal.

Latency is and will always be a big killer for things dealing with audio where timing is critical. It's why RF is still used for professional wireless audio, or why usable professional DJ/music production apps are on iOS and not Android (because even old iOS devices have single digit ms audio latency, and Android has an inherent audio latency problem where at best a device will struggle to get sub 40ms that makes it unsuitable for timing-critical audio applications where delay can't be compensated for like a rhythm game, so any Android audio app will be several versions behind and not have much support compared to their iOS equivalent because they're just there for market presence).

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 17, 2024

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

qirex posted:

Theres a new wireless standard called SKAA thats supposed to be low latency. Not wide vendor support yet.

are they hoping that the market will pick it up pick it up pick it up

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have HD599s that I almost exclusively use for PC gaming. Was helping friends pick some headphones, but my knowledge ends at about this price point. I'm curious what I'd be looking at if I myself wanted to upgrade. I assume it would only make sense to go up in price, but what would that be and what are the improvements I'd be looking for or expecting?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

KingKapalone posted:

I have HD599s that I almost exclusively use for PC gaming. Was helping friends pick some headphones, but my knowledge ends at about this price point. I'm curious what I'd be looking at if I myself wanted to upgrade. I assume it would only make sense to go up in price, but what would that be and what are the improvements I'd be looking for or expecting?

I upgraded to HD650s and am super happy with them - but note they need an amp to get loud. They can be pretty quiet without.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Lowness 72 posted:

I upgraded to HD650s and am super happy with them - but note they need an amp to get loud. They can be pretty quiet without.

My friend has those. Another friend was gaming on his PC and he said the owner is going to go deaf from how loud he has the volume. How quiet is pretty quiet? On my laptop I have the volume set to 12% listening to music on my HD599s right now. On my desktop I have it set to maybe 25 so the devices are certainly different because 25 on the laptop would be very loud.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

My friend has those. Another friend was gaming on his PC and he said the owner is going to go deaf from how loud he has the volume. How quiet is pretty quiet? On my laptop I have the volume set to 12% listening to music on my HD599s right now. On my desktop I have it set to maybe 25 so the devices are certainly different because 25 on the laptop would be very loud.

Every PC and laptop has a varying degree of power output from the headphone jack, and especially with those being 300 ohm headphones they're going to need more juice than an easier to drive pair of headphones. Some Motherboards come with fairly powerful amp stages, others don't.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Budget - $200-300 tops, I guess?
Source - PC
Intended use case - Computer. I listen to music, podcasts, game, work. I don't wear headphones anywhere but a computer.
Preferred Headphone features -
Around ear cans that won't immediately start peeling off because *gently caress bonded leather bullshit*
A microphone would be nice, but an attachment mic of some kind would be fine. It just needs to sound alright.
Wired is just fine.
Here's the bit giving me trouble: I have tried on "noise canceling" headphones. They make my ears and head feel weird in a way that immediately makes me take them off. From what I understand, this is an active noise canceling thing? I really would like to not hear all the poo poo going on around me, but that feels too bad to wear for any length of time, and I need to be able to wear these most of the day. Passive noise canceling is probably fine? My search is flooded with ANC.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
You probably want something with cloth or velour earpads then. Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic have these on most of their lineup. Personally, I've found the velour on the DT 770s to be a major step up from anything Sennheiser offers-- theirs feel thin and scratchy on my skin. The DT 770s also isolate better than you'd think anything with cloth earpads would be able to do (though I still wouldn't use them to play drums or anything).

I don't know what your specific microphone needs are, but they might be addressed by either a desk mic or an Antlion Audio ModMic.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 18, 2024

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for work (meetings and listening to music while working) and light gaming. I would like them to be over the ear, wired, comfortable to wear for long periods, and with a microphone. My budget is $100-150.

Thanks!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zorilla posted:

You probably want something with cloth or velour earpads then. Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic have these on most of their lineup. Personally, I've found the velour on the DT 770s to be a major step up from anything Sennheiser offers-- theirs feel thin and scratchy on my skin. The DT 770s also isolate better than you'd think anything with cloth earpads would be able to do (though I still wouldn't use them to play drums or anything).

I don't know what your specific microphone needs are, but they might be addressed by either a desk mic or an Antlion Audio ModMic.

The DT 770s look just like what I want, thank you! For the microphone, mostly for gaming with other people, but I do also hang out with a friend who streams on Twitch. I don't have a ton of desk space, so something like the modmic seems like the way to go.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

owl_pellet posted:

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for work (meetings and listening to music while working) and light gaming. I would like them to be over the ear, wired, comfortable to wear for long periods, and with a microphone. My budget is $100-150.

Thanks!

If you don't mind/prefer open backed headphones, I once again, recommend the Sennheiser Pc38x.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

The DT 770s look just like what I want, thank you! For the microphone, mostly for gaming with other people, but I do also hang out with a friend who streams on Twitch. I don't have a ton of desk space, so something like the modmic seems like the way to go.

Antilon sells a dt770 pro bundle with a mod mic.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Budget: $75 max
Source: Windows computer
Intended use case : I do some video editing, and by extension audio mixing, but by far the majority of my time is spent gaming, or watching gaming videos because I'm too exhausted to actually play.
Preferred features: Wired, 3.5mm. Over-ear would be nice, but Amazon/Google use the term interchangeably with on-ear and nothing would fit over my giant stupid ears anyway.
Things I liked before: the official PS4 and PS5 headphones. The quality of the sound is almost irrelevant; I just need them to fit so I can keep them on my giant idiot head for a couple hours comfortably

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Captain Walker posted:

Over-ear would be nice, but Amazon/Google use the term interchangeably with on-ear and nothing would fit over my giant stupid ears anyway.

You might have an easier time when searching to use "circumaural" if you want the earpads to go around your ears, or "supra-aural" if you want the earpads to sit on your ears.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My 7506es from 1997 finally died, the foam around the driver crumbled during an earpad change. Is there something similar that folds down as small with OK isolation? These are like my second-backup pair for strictly beater use so I'm not in a rush. I'll probably just order another set but if there's an alternative with a removable cord that would be ideal.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

qirex posted:

My 7506es from 1997 finally died, the foam around the driver crumbled during an earpad change. Is there something similar that folds down as small with OK isolation? These are like my second-backup pair for strictly beater use so I'm not in a rush. I'll probably just order another set but if there's an alternative with a removable cord that would be ideal.

The Audio-Technica M40x and M50x have removable cords if that is important. Sennheiser HD 280s are another popular foldable studio headphone that are often cross-shopped against the MDR-7506, but they have a semi-permanent coiled cable.

If portability and isolation are important, you may also consider one of the Chinese IEMs discussed here since they offer excellent sound quality for the money if your ears can tolerate wearing them for long periods of time (unlike mine).

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 20, 2024

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If youre happy with a 7506, a 280pro will probably feel like a head-vise.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

qirex posted:

My 7506es from 1997 finally died, the foam around the driver crumbled during an earpad change. Is there something similar that folds down as small with OK isolation?

They don't fold as small but AKG k361 or 371 are more comfortable and sound much better imo. I like the 7506 sub bass whomp but the upper midrange is very honky and the akg fixes that.

agreed with above poster who recommended IEMs, if they don't bother you they're a cheaper, better sounding, (for me) more comfortable way to go.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 20, 2024

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

eddiewalker posted:

If youre happy with a 7506, a 280pro will probably feel like a head-vise.

According to RTINGS.com, they have almost exactly double the clamping force of the MDR-7506. The tradeoff is that the HD 280s have larger and deeper earcups. It's been about 17 years since I last tried on a pair, but I don't remember having clearance issues the same way I do with the 7506 or M50x.

I was on the fence about mentioning the AKG K361/K371 because of their widespread issues with the headband snapping and relatively higher price. Didn't seem like the best choice for rough duty, but they are yet another headphone in this particular segment.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I like the 7506 sub bass whomp but the upper midrange is very honky and the akg fixes that.

I just sold a set of 7506s after trying them for about three weeks and I found that the sub-bass was surprisingly prominent, yet controlled for headphones that felt like they were just squished on top of my ears. The treble makes my DT 770s feel modest by comparison though. They needed a pretty aggressive downward slope in EQ from about 2 kHz onward to be enjoyable for recreational listening.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Any word on when the new AirPods Max will drop? I have QC45 but the bluetooth is junk and cuts out when there is more than one device connected. I also had the sony XM5 for a brief period but the lack of collapsability and absolutely huge case, plus the breakage-proneness of the earpieces, made me return the laughingstocks to the store post-haste.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Probably not until Sept/Nov

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Budget - $0-50
Source - Pixel 6a (USB-C connection or wireless, no headphone jack on the phone)
Intended use case - Going on a 12-24 hour Amtrak trip the 30th and don't wanna be bothering other travelers with my bullshit/be bothered by their bullshit
Preferred Headphone features - Uh, I was fine with the earbuds that came with my iphone back when? Having some sort of flexible thing like a rubber sheath or such would be nice though, the earbuds would hurt after a few hours at most.

I'm aware I won't be getting any incredible high end poo poo with this budget, I mostly just don't want to step on a landmind w/r/t build quality or such but I don't recognize any of the names I'm seeing on amazon to know what to avoid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Moondrop Space Travel or Jiu, Space Travels are wireless, Jiu are basically the much liked Moondrop Chu but with a USB-C connector instead of 3.5mm. Possibly also the 7hz Zero 2 and an Apple dongle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kitfox88 posted:

Budget - $0-50
Source - Pixel 6a (USB-C connection or wireless, no headphone jack on the phone)
Intended use case - Going on a 12-24 hour Amtrak trip the 30th and don't wanna be bothering other travelers with my bullshit/be bothered by their bullshit
Preferred Headphone features - Uh, I was fine with the earbuds that came with my iphone back when? Having some sort of flexible thing like a rubber sheath or such would be nice though, the earbuds would hurt after a few hours at most.

I'm aware I won't be getting any incredible high end poo poo with this budget, I mostly just don't want to step on a landmind w/r/t build quality or such but I don't recognize any of the names I'm seeing on amazon to know what to avoid.

At that budget Id prolly look at some good-sealing Chinese IEMs or Audio Technica over-ears (M20x? M30x?) plus a $9 Apple USB-C dongle. I probably wouldnt look at Amazon unless it was name-brand, and even then I guess theres always some risk of getting a knockoff or whatever. IDK. You can get your dongle there though if you buy it from the official Apple storefront.

There are good sounding options at the ~$50 range and for less from companies like KOSS, etc, as well, but theyre mostly lightweight on-ear stuff with no sealing ability, which is gonna be awful on a train and probably result in you being uncomfortable and/or pushing your volume up to problematic levels.

Bluetooth at that budget gets you the cheapest Beats. Idk how those are really vs the companys nicer stuff or the aforementioned good Chinese IEMs.

Stretching your budget to $100 gives you a lot more options at the aforementioned categories plus the options for solid Bluetooth earbuds and even some TOTL stuff on heavy discount/previous gen/etc.

Pushing it to $150 or $200 gets you top-of-the-class wireless Bluetooth with noise canceling (Beats Fit Pro, Beats Studio Buds), which is honestly kind of a game-changer for travel and transit.

Edit: apparently Target has refurbished, probably previous-gen, Studio Buds for $74. That seems kinda excellent. Idk how gross Target-refurbished earbuds can be. But ANC is legitimately my favorite feature in this new class of earbuds and I honestly wouldnt travel without it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 21, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zorilla posted:

I just sold a set of 7506s after trying them for about three weeks and I found that the sub-bass was surprisingly prominent, yet controlled for headphones that felt like they were just squished on top of my ears. The treble makes my DT 770s feel modest by comparison though. They needed a pretty aggressive downward slope in EQ from about 2 kHz onward to be enjoyable for recreational listening.

I deeply wish Sony would update the 7506 with pads that aren't made out of garbage bag plastic, a removable cable and a serious toning down of everything from 2-8k. they'd really be the perfect production headphones if they sounded more like the HD25 and didn't shed black confetti.

e: i'll third the space travel, absolutely insane value.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 21, 2024

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

Budget - $0-50

I'd second the moondrop space travel, even has noise cancellation that works ok. Awesome value for $20, only downside imo is the case is kinda weird.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'll give the Space Travels a try then, since I guess I can't be tethered to a cable forever with the way phones are going. Thanks for the help, yall. :toot:

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Any word on when the new AirPods Max will drop? I have QC45 but the bluetooth is junk and cuts out when there is more than one device connected. I also had the sony XM5 for a brief period but the lack of collapsability and absolutely huge case, plus the breakage-proneness of the earpieces, made me return the laughingstocks to the store post-haste.

It's not just you, either. I've tried out three different QC 45s and the Bose 700 and they all had the same lovely multipoint behavior. I'm actually starting to worry that I won't able to find a suitable replacement for my QC 35 IIs when the time comes because everything Bose has released since then has been trash for one reason or another (usually several reasons). Not that the Bluetooth implementation on those is much better--they still drop out much more frequently than anything else I own.

As for Sony: I've said it before, but there is no way a company goes through five generations of flagship headphone with widespread battery and headband breakage issues without it being intentional. I also don't understand how they're able to sell a $400 headphone that sounds worse than the Linkbuds S I paid $50 for. Between the build quality, sound quality, and comfort of the WH-1000XM5s, if I had never heard of this model before, I would have guessed it cost $80-100, not $400.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 21, 2024

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Hello thread! Long time, no post.
I doubt anyone remembers me, but back in the old thread last year, I posted about living in rural Japan and not having any way to try headphones in person. Well, I finally made it to a Yodobashi (4 hours by car one way!) and have a little trip report.
The main cans I tried were the HD800s, Hifiman Ed XS, and the Meze 109 Pros. My reasoning being I wanted to sample something from a wide price range to see how much I need to spend to feel my upgrade was worthwhile over my serviceable Q701s.
I was using whatever IFI/Sennheiser amp set ups they had in the store.
Also, it was a Japanese department store, so constant loud jingles being blasted at me from all angles at insane volumes while I tried the cans.

As a quick reminder/aside, Im coming from AKG Q701 and want an upgrade. My 701s are using cheap Geekria pads, because the stock ones had worn down and my left ear was touching the driver which I found extremely unpleasant. More on my monkey ears later!
My listening set up is Windows - Topping E30/L30, private office. Whir from the aircon/filtration system/my undergrad students bothering me, but otherwise a controlled environment.
Im mostly happy with my 701s when EQd to Oratorys recently published settings (finally!), but I have a growing SACD ISO collection of classic rock, jazz, and Japanese music that I would really love to enjoy as is, since it cant be EQd.

I brought my LG V20 and was able to interface directly to their amp/DAC via usb and tried 16bit and 24bit PCM, as well as SACD ISOs (ones I know were well mastered).

So first, I tried the HD800s. This was by far the noisiest location in the store, directly under a speaker, so I had to turn up the volume pretty loud to block out ambient noise.
Fit for me personally felt fine, I didnt notice any discomfort. I did question myself if I was putting them on correctly or not though.

All the things that have been said about these are true. The staging and instrument separation was out of this world, even in that noisy environment. My 24bit copy of Colemans The Shape Of Jazz to Come sounded great. The way the alto and cornet are split between the left and right channels, it REALLY felt like there were two separate instruments on either side of me, rather than the song being split across two channels.
My SACD ISO of Momoe Yamaguchis LA Blue was next, and again it was the horns that really gave me pause. Im not lying when I say I could FEEL the reeds vibrating. It was like the texture you feel when ripping a sheet of paper in half in your hands. Its not just that I was physically feeling impact, but texture as well.
I tried a bunch of other tracks, from metal like Opeth and Dream Theater, to treble heavy wall of sound recordings like Eiichi Ohtakis Long Vacation (the original, non loudness ward CD), and even some more rough and tumble punk recordings. Although the treble was bright, I didnt especially found they were ruining the subpar recordings, at least not in that noisy environment.
Regarding the (lack of) bass, I may eat my words long term if I buy these, but the genres I listen to didnt seem that bad bass wise. I dont listen to a lot of whomp whomp EDM, and just want my bass to be detailed and fast (I think). Its possible I may regret it later, but I feel like my genres (rock, jazz, pop from the 60s-90s primarily) would gel nicely with the HD 800s.

Then I went to the Edition XS.
The location was a touch quieter, without a speaker directly above me, but still far from what my intended use location would be.
The amp set up changed from a Senny to some IFI DSD something or other.
The fit felt interesting. Basically like I was wearing nothing at all (nothing at all!) for better and for worse. I didnt feel particularly uncomfortable, but I didnt feel snug or secure either.
I dont know if I made a mistake in the order I tried these, but it was very apparent these were a big step down. Imaging and separation felt less precise, and treble heavy tracks that didnt bother me on the HD800s felt peaky and unpleasant on the Edition XS.
The feeling of the reeds vibrating was gone, and I felt as if I was just listening to them vibrate.
The bass had more slam and thump. I dont think I have enough vocabulary to talk about stuff like sub bass roll off, but I did feel a difference vs the HD800s. More slam, less dry perhaps?

Then I spent the bulk of the time changing back and forth between the XS and the Meze 109s.
Initial impressions of the 109s are that they feel very premium. The build materials, the pad foam, the auto adjusting headband, it had a nice wow feeling that I didnt get initially when I put on either the 800s or the XS.
The amp/location was the same as the EdXS.
However! My monkey ears came back, and I get my left ear touching the driver. I really hate this feeling. Ive heard one YouTuber describe the same thing, and they said the issue disappeared as the pads got more broken in. Rather than deflating, they seemed to gain an extra mm of space or so over time. Since one of my main discomforts with my Q701s is my left ear touching the driver, this was a bit of a red flag.

On some synth heavy 80s j-pop, the 109s instantly felt more fun than the EdXS. The uncomfortable treble I found initially on the EdXS was gone, and even peaky tracks felt fine to listen to. This was surprising as many people describe the 109s as too bright. Im 37 and generally like brightness over bass, so YMMV.
Basically I didnt find the sound lacking in any way compared to the EdXS, but it didnt have the wow factor of the HD800s separation and staging and texture.
There wasnt a track that I preferred on the EdXS vs the 109s. My ear touching the driver though was an issue. If I repositioned the cups (with their excellent swivel), the issue didnt seem to be a problem. I just worry over time that my ear will end up touching the metal driver and I will be miserable though. I could change to thicker Dekoni pads, but then again Id be taking a risk on sound. I saw someone on Reddit who used the Dekoni pads and cut out the foam filter that covers the drivers, and they more or less regained the lost sparkle vs. the stock pads.

Now, as I said I spent most of my time going between the EdXS and the 109s. In Japan, pricing is quite different from the USA, so Id be looking at about 55000 for the EdXS with an extended 3yr warranty, or 83000 for an open box 109 Pro with a 2 year warranty (assuming they remain in stock). Now, the HD800s retail for something ridiculous like 240000 here, but I can probably snag an open box on Amazon with the normal 2 year Senny warranty for about 155000.
In simple terms, 550$, 830$, or 1550$ is what the impact feels like on my wallet.

I dont know if anyone will read all of this, but just wanted to give a trip report and organize my thoughts a bit.
I think my TLDR is:

EdXS - good value for sound, felt cheaply built. Slight upgrade from my 701s.

Meze 109s - fun sound, amazing build quality. Decent upgrade but totally different signature than my 701s. Monkey ear touches driver.

HD800s - most wow factor with the sound. Build quality felt good, but not especially premium like the 109s. Fit well, no monkey ears. Environment was too loud to really test them properly. Despite this, bass still felt alright to my tastes.
Most expensive, but I will probably keep them for 20 years.

Hifiman Aryas - why didnt I try these? I ran out of time and had to drive back, but really should have.

Expensive Stax set up - I was dumb not trying this just for fun.

I think if I can get a good open box deal on the Hd800s, and can stomach losing that much money, I probably wont have any regrets. Stuff that needs more whomp whomp bass is generally PCM anyway, and I can EQ them.
I suppose Im not specifically asking for advice, but it if anyone enjoyed my trip report and has thoughts feel free to chime in.
Cheers!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
can i ask why you're using sacd iso rips? that seems like an insane waste of space for an objectively inaudible difference

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Never got a proper answer here

Intended use case: I do some video editing, and by extension audio mixing, but by far the majority of my time is spent gaming, or watching gaming videos because I'm too exhausted to actually play
Preferred features: Wired, 3.5mm. supra-aural. Comfort; quality of sound is way less important than them fitting comfortably on my head for multiple hours
Things I liked before: the official PS4 and PS5 headphones, wired and wireless both.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Captain Walker posted:

Never got a proper answer here

Intended use case: I do some video editing, and by extension audio mixing, but by far the majority of my time is spent gaming, or watching gaming videos because I'm too exhausted to actually play
Preferred features: Wired, 3.5mm. supra-aural. Comfort; quality of sound is way less important than them fitting comfortably on my head for multiple hours
Things I liked before: the official PS4 and PS5 headphones, wired and wireless both.

I have these $50 monoprice headphones
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43242

But my last few Monoprice orders have been hosed up, so order through them at your own risk.

e: they are very comfortable on my ears

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

can i ask why you're using sacd iso rips? that seems like an insane waste of space for an objectively inaudible difference

Eh, HDD space is a non issue for me, and its just a fun thing to do. Im not 100% a stickler for format, but I try to seek out the versions of albums with the best DR, and in some cases that means the SACD. If a normal 16bit CD has the best sounding version of the album to me, Ill be happy with that.