Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Sales pitching a loving KIA to the centuries old made-physical manifestation of mankinds inhumanity, corrupted wealth guilt and old testament biblical justice. Incredible.

Perfect. 10/10. gently caress meeeee that was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Wafflecopper posted:

After talking about how eating sin cursed him with eternal life, I was half expecting Munch to shrivel up like that nazi at the end of Indiana Jones when he ate the biscuit

100% with you my friend.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Fargo is the only show that can have supernatural elements like a functionally immortal hitman and have it fit in perfectly. I watched it with someone who's completely new to Fargo and she didn't even question it. The show also pulled off the "it was only a dream" episode without any disappointment whatsoever. I need to rewatch 1 and 2 immediately.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I want a GIF of that last shot, independent from all the context and symbolism. Just a man cautiously trying a buttermilk biscuit for the first time and experiencing religious ecstasy.

My one complaint is that Witt Farr felt underutilized all season and it sucks that he died preventing the bad guy from walking into an ambush.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Wow. A surprisingly touching ending to a great season.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Wafflecopper posted:

After talking about how eating sin cursed him with eternal life, I was half expecting Munch to shrivel up like that nazi at the end of Indiana Jones when he ate the biscuit

And he mentioned earlier in the season that he didn't have many words left. Didn't expect him or Roy to make it out alive based on that but I'm satisfied with the outcome.

I'm imagining an "I live here now" immediately after the biscuit.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 17, 2024

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nameless Pete posted:

My one complaint is that Witt Farr felt underutilized all season and it sucks that he died preventing the bad guy from walking into an ambush.

I agree he was probably the most underserved of all the characters -- a recap i was reading mentions he literally gets more character development as people talk over his grave than we ever learned while he was living.

though i suppose given the general themes of the show and how influenced it is by the trump era separatism, "cop who can't bring himself to actually stop someone like Roy even though he knows he should and thus dies pointlessly in the process" maybe does have some resonance

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A shame that the finale revealed the old lady didn't make him pancakes with love.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

These ensemble shows always leave some characters underserved, but more than anything I want to know what Wink's deal is, how he ended up with Lorraine, and how they produced Wayne.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

personally i am hoping the next season flashes back 30 years and we get Better Call Danish

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
this is the first Fargo season without a character connected to another season, yeah? Not that it suffers for it but that's interesting

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Oh and there should have been a tombstone in the background for Lars Olmstead. Bonus points for an insulting inscription like "he's leaving the toilet seat up in heaven now."

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
This was by far the worst season of Fargo, I hope they stop with this one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Contrarian poster firing up his laptop for the day.

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

Sickening posted:

You gotta love the drive-by "actually this sucked" posts that inevitably show up in the thread for every great season of television

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

compooter broke won't turn on ??

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'd be fine with them ending on a banger. 5x10x60mins is my golden ratio for drama series. Sure it's an anthology series so it doesn't carry its baggage into future seasons in the same way. Still, I've had a good fill of Fargo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jehde posted:

I'd be fine with them ending on a banger. 5x10x60mins is my golden ratio for drama series. Sure it's an anthology series so it doesn't carry its baggage into future seasons in the same way. Still, I've had a good fill of Fargo.

I kind of want the last frame of the scene in a high def background for my pc and my forum avatar.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Fozzy The Bear posted:

New season of greys anatomy drops in March.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TraderStav posted:

New season of greys anatomy drops in March.

the ship of theseus of hospital dramas

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

there's a pretty great interview with noah hawley on the ringer's prestige tv podcast that provides some good insight into the season if you can get over the fact that he says "you know" way too goddamn much

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Nah, give me S6. Or whatever Hawley wants to make. Even the "bad" season of this show goes harder than most others.

I think Fargo's hit that nice True Detective balance where it seems like it only happens when Hawley has an idea for a season. No one's calling him demanding more, but there's a check there if he wants more.

From a NYT interview:

quote:

I read an interview before this season started in which you said your interest in this world had been reinvigorated. Is that still the case?

I told FX that I thought this would be the last one, but I got halfway through and I just thought, Who am I kidding?... ...There aren’t a lot of other things that could carry that tone of voice and also allow me to honestly explore America and what it means to be an American — which is a subject that just gets more and more interesting, doesn’t it? I’m rooting for America. If I can tell these stories in which basically decent people prevail over the forces of cynicism and corruption, I’d be remiss if I if I didn’t tell as many of those as I could.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 17, 2024

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Solid final episode that is heavily buoyed by one of the strongest final scenes I can think of from Fargo.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Sickening posted:

Main character was very unlikable. The actress herself is so skinny she has paper skin and is losing her hair, thus she had to wear a wig the whole show, distracting. She was written in a way that you knew she wasn't going to die. When she was locked up in the shed, it was snowing and windy, 20°F maybe? And she breaks the window and hangs out there, just a thin blanket, not even reacting to the cold. The whole show seemed to ignore the cold. People would walk into a house and just leave the door open, casually closing it. That isn't how you act when its winter in Fargo area.

The daughter and the dad were interesting, wish the dad had more screen time, he was funny. Same with the lawyer, that actor is hilarious, just not enough screen time. The rich mom was so boringly written and predictable, her accent was atrocious.

John Hamm's character had potential but he was so evil. It wasn't a "love to hate" character, it was more just "eeww this dude is the worst". The son was redeemed too late in the season to matter.

I was so frustrated with how they handled the cop's death at the end. You are an experienced cop, dude has a knife that he isn't dropping, in fact he is taking a step closer, and you just keep warning him. I cheered when he died because I yelled out "you deserve that, you loving idiot". I really liked that character before the last episode.

The expert immortal killer was cool, but again... not enough screen time.

The show focused 90% on the unlikable characters, the last 10% couldn't save this show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
mad max that’s bait dot gif

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Sickening posted:

I kind of want the last frame of the scene in a high def background for my pc and my forum avatar.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

mad max that’s bait dot gif

they're right about one thing: characters should be saying "man it's cold out here" "brr still cold!" etc more often if the show wants to be realistic

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Fargo: Not cold enough. 2/5

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I was so frustrated with how they handled the cop's death at the end. You are an experienced cop, dude has a knife that he isn't dropping, in fact he is taking a step closer, and you just keep warning him. I cheered when he died because I yelled out "you deserve that, you loving idiot". I really liked that character before the last episode.

Disagree with most of this post, but this one in particular is talked about by Hawley in that podcast ep. Cop believes he's paying off his debt to Dot for her saving his life in the first episode, hence him going after Tillman alone. But he also hasn't grappled with the "law and justice" Tillman is working in. His worldview is still stuck on that the gun and inevitable arrest mean that Tillman will surrender, missing that he's looking at a guy who's got nothing to lose. Seemed like they were going for the same kind of person Colin Hanks is in S1 to an extent.

:unsmith:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

rly adore the symbolism in this one and will be thinking about it for a while

did anyone else get a message of, old world trauma cycles have led to centuries of unspeakable violence, and must be healed through hospitality, kindness, and what common bonds we can find with one another? Ole the Eternal Hitman, Lorraine the Avatar of Consuming Greed- both are embraced, literally or figuratively, and we see them soften. Not completely, Lorraine still turns to the fuckin Federalist Society to take advantage of a corrupt system in order to get her petty revenge. The overarching problem is not solved, that will take more work, and more love, but we live in a time that requires healing and consideration. Except for towards nazis. gently caress nazis.

I've seen this message being put down in TV shows a lot in recent years- it seems that newer Star Trek keeps making a run at that idea, for instance, but more clumsily

anyway this was some extremely good television and im grateful to have seen it

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You are an experienced cop, dude has a knife that he isn't dropping, in fact he is taking a step closer, and you just keep warning him. I cheered when he died because I yelled out "you deserve that, you loving idiot". I really liked that character before the last episode.

herein lies another lesson: when u have a fascist strongman in your sights, do not hesitate, take the kill shot

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

REST IN PEACE MY MAN DANISH YOU WERE TOO FUCKIN' SLICK FOR THIS WORLD HEAVEN (HELL?) GOT A NEW CONSIGLIERE

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
RIP Officer Winston Bishop, the Carport Hero. You died in Minnesota like an idiot and orphaned your cat rather than shoot a nazi.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

whyd they call him gator anyway dont they live in like montana

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Because he wasn’t worthy of having the name Roy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Victory Lap posted:

RIP Officer Winston Bishop, the Carport Hero. You died in Minnesota like an idiot and orphaned your cat rather than shoot a nazi.

I was very happy to hear Officer Bishop had a cat and I hope they buried him in a sweet rear end shirt

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

still been thinking about those last 20 minutes today, im thinking i might like this season more than 1

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Because he wasn’t worthy of having the name Roy.

I still don't get why that makes him an alligator

Unless it's 'Gater' in which case I'm even more confused

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I took it as generally a message about the individual. No single person can completely overturn the whole debt system or societal issues. But you don't have to let it destroy you. Like Dot says, it is a choice that you can make. To change what is within your power.

Good finale, good season. Can't wait to see where the show goes next

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 17, 2024

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I know Gator was all hosed by his pa but I never got any sense of him “wanting to be good” until he was all hosed up. But of course, Dot had last seen him as a wee vulnerable lad. But even when he killed that old lady, he didn’t seem all torn up about it or nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

GolfHole posted:

I still don't get why that makes him an alligator

Unless it's 'Gater' in which case I'm even more confused

I thought Dot told Gator he wasn’t named Roy because he was born looking like a “scrawny reptile” (maybe he said lizard?)