Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

once the animal reservoirs were established in mid 2020 there was no eradication possible

could smothered it in its crib in January/february but welp

we can move the goalposts, sure. but it’s still simply not true that we never could have eradicated it. the myth that eradication was never possible serves only the status quo and the effort to get us to give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Covid was never going to be eradicated with our current tools. Even if the US eliminated it, people in other countries are going to have it and travel would mean bringing it back here. And animal reservoirs as mentioned above. if one person got COVID from a deer or cat or Bali that means the whole country can get it again

Best thing to do is develop a sterilizing vaccine.

we don’t have one so until then then second best thing to do is universal masking

but that would put restaurants out of business so third best thing is mask mandates everywhere except restaurants. that would at least keep infections to “2021 CDC green” levels

fourth fifth sixth best things to do are varying levels of intermittent masking

but we’re not doing any masking so we’re where we are now

I mean, if you had masking except where it is not reasonably possible and changed nothing else you might still look pretty good. Sitting around with a mask except when you're stuffing your face sounds silly, but the principle is the same as when running an air purifier, which you could also do. Less virus in the air and in the lungs should lead to statistically fewer infections. A lot of countries tried to do smoking indoors but with designated, better ventilated, rooms. Was still pretty lovely, but could still lead to quite large improvements here. :shrug:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

once the animal reservoirs were established in mid 2020 there was no eradication possible

I would agree that eradication is unlikely. A year or two ago I would have said that getting COVID under control such that most of the country doesn't need special protections in place for it was possible.

Given what we're learning about long term immune impacts and the somewhat obvious population level impacts we're seeing with other pathogens, I'm less confident on that today. Doesn't mean we should give up on trying to save as many lives as we can, but yeah the outlook on a COVID free future without some kind of miracle sterilizing vaccine is pretty grim.

It really just means the bane mask stays on forever lmao.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

This is a few days old but since I've had covid back in September I've been having silent acid reflux flareups that manifest in me as jaw pain. I've also been having discomfort along my sternum that some medication for stomach ulcers has helped.

Unrelated, but at my wifes physical last month she had elevated liver numbers that have improved but not gone away after another blood test a month later. I'm hoping this wasn't due to the paxlovid but I feel like if she gets infected again we need to know if she is back to normal before considering taking it right? And maybe not do 10 days of it.

Liver issues is one of those things were you (or rather your wife) needs to talk to a doctor. Both Paxlovid (or rather ritonavir) and COVID are associated with liver issues, the latter as direct damage, while the former (iirc) seems more aligned with exacerbating existing problems.

Before she takes Paxlovid again (and probably wise to do it well in advance), she should clear it with her doctor.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

could smothered it in its crib in January/february but welp

Eradicate no, but we could technically remove COVID as a constant scourge and stamp it out when we get zoonotic infections. So far the zoonotic infections (well... since the first one), have not been great at spreading. Like we don't need to stamp out all bat coronavirus diseases to stop SARS-CoV-2 doing victory laps on the cells of humanity.

The freak show variant I posted above is so weird because it is optimizing for deer, but humans are notably not deer and so it will generally make it less infectious to humans. Where I think you'll get the true issues with the zoonotic infections is when they recombine, making part of the virus alien, while maintaining enough human targeting bullshit to keep it infectious. But that requires an ongoing pandemic in humans to occur and we just don't need to keep that going (imho, though I understand this is controversial).

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Jan 17, 2024

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pingui posted:

Actually, if you believe in a just world hard enough, you will realize that COVID is neither pulmonary nor cardiovascular, but a disease of the mind. Easily cured by ignoring reality.

This is something that comes up in some of the Verso and Zer0 books about Covid as a disease of capitalism, and I understand it sort-of, but I'm confused, just like with QE, about the pursuit of policies that are rapidly unravelling the system. I know pursuit of short term profit is the easiest answer, and a generation of ideologues, compounded by the experience of the End of History, mean that all of these dumb Capitalist/Protestant/American axioms are accepted by people who are actually important, but it's still ... for lack of a better word.. crazy to me that "pretend a disease doesn't exist" was and is considered viable at levels ranging from the individual to supranational.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the notion of pursuing short term profit and ignoring long term sustainability of profits (or even, you know, a habitable planet) seems crazy too, but here we are

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

This is something that comes up in some of the Verso and Zer0 books about Covid as a disease of capitalism, and I understand it sort-of, but I'm confused, just like with QE, about the pursuit of policies that are rapidly unravelling the system. I know pursuit of short term profit is the easiest answer, and a generation of ideologues, compounded by the experience of the End of History, mean that all of these dumb Capitalist/Protestant/American axioms are accepted by people who are actually important, but it's still ... for lack of a better word.. crazy to me that "pretend a disease doesn't exist" was and is considered viable at levels ranging from the individual to supranational.

I believe this is exactly what we’d see if there were no “plan”. we just have that there system of feedback loops and surveillance that keeps things running toward eventual destruction now

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

Eradicate no, but we could technically remove COVID as a constant scourge and stamp it out when we get zoonotic infections. So far the zoonotic infections (well... since the first one), have not been great at spreading. Like we don't need to stamp out all bat coronavirus diseases to stop SARS-CoV-2 doing victory laps on the cells of humanity.

The freak show variant I posted above is so weird because it is optimizing for deer, but humans are notably not deer and so it will generally make it less infectious to humans. Where I think you'll get the true issues with the zoonotic infections is when they recombine, making part of the virus alien, while maintaining enough human targeting bullshit to keep it infectious. But that requires an ongoing pandemic in humans to occur and we just don't need to keep that going (imho, though I understand this is controversial).

yeah, we could just adjust society somewhat unobtrusively and make it a non-society-ending, manageable disease burden.

I'm saying that we had a chance, for about 4 months, of putting it to bed completely (in support of tuyop's idea that the impossibility is basically a lie that underpins the status quo). but airplane travel and reverse zoonoses ended that chance.

here in the dumbest empire in history we can't even control deer, much less the diseases they introduce at every threshold of nature with society. they're basically rats with hooves.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gunshow Poophole posted:

here in the dumbest empire in history we can't even control deer, much less the diseases they introduce at every threshold of nature with society. they're basically rats with hooves.

The hunter that killed Bambi's mother did nothing wrong.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Eradication of Covid-19 is still theoretically possible! ...it would just require, you know, not having this whole global system of perverse incentives standing in the way first, so uh, even in the incredibly-unlikely absolute best-case scenario you're looking at a pretty long time-line lol

Even with capitalism being capitalism, eradication or containment was theoretically possible for the first couple of months early on; in spite of our dumb world and its dumb systems of governance and commerce, effective control efforts have stopped dozens of disease outbreaks! Quarantines work, germ theory still holds true. Covid however seems to have hit the sweet spot where its virulence was great enough to overcome the zero-plasticity brains of the multi-generational failsons of current policy-makers, and by the time there was any sense of urgency globally politicians had pretty much shrugged it off as someone else's problem. This seems like an inevitable outcome of the last century of neo-liberalism/globalism/capitalism, however you want to describe it, to the extent that people have been writing about this exact scenario and its dangers for most of that time; if it wasn't Covid, it would likely be another disease, if the policies and trends of wealth consolidation and inequality weren't halted, and we didn't do that, so here we are.

The ability and willingness of governments to do token civic duties and provide nominal social goods has been decaying because consent manufacturing outpaced social unrest. I think I'm in a relatively small minority when I say that fatalism about the human species is a stupid and mal-adaptive response to such a crisis, but I completely understand how people get to that conclusion logically when you have decades of both scientific papers and popular fiction screaming DON'T IGNORE THE BIG OBVIOUS DISEASE OUTBREAKS THAT YOUR SOCIETY IS SETTING UP FOR and we beefed it so spectacularly. Nevermind, you know, uh. The centuries of inequality and brutality that preceded this particular highlight of stupidity.

i however am doing the Big Dumb of posting just after waking up, so maybe I'll get drubbed for this one idk 8V

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I take the view that eradication of Covid is impossible to be utterly untrue, and in fact total eradication is all but guaranteed one way or other.

it counts when there's no more hosts left to propagate right?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Pingui posted:

Actually, if you believe in a just world hard enough, you will realize that COVID is neither pulmonary nor cardiovascular, but a disease of the mind. Easily cured by ignoring reality.

:hmmrona:

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

NeonPunk posted:

it counts when there's no more hosts left to propagate right?

mammals are on their way out anyway

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

ah yes, acute hearing loss. that classic Covid symptom.

Profound sensorineural hearing loss was found in 7% of long-term COVID-19 patients. Mild sensorineural hearing loss for 6000Hz was found in 12–13% of patients, similarly to moderate sensorineural hearing loss. Severe sensorineural hearing loss for 6000Hz occurred in 3.4% of long-COVID-19 patients.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"We're never going to eradicate covid" is kind of a non-sequitur since the only human disease ever eradicated is smallpox. We haven't eradicated measles, mumps, rubella, influenza, RSV, herpes, HIV, etc. etc. the list goes on and on and on. Eradication is a nice goal to have but you don't need to get there to make the disease something that you don't have to worry about on a daily basis - and a sterilizing vaccine isn't going to get us to eradication either since we effectively have one for several less contagious diseases and haven't managed to eradicate those even with it.

Mandated installation of high ACH air cleaning technologies in all public spaces (whether that's ventilation, filtration, or upper-room UV or all three in combination), wide-spread CO2 monitoring, a campaign to do constant rapid PCR-quality surveillance testing to identify and knock down outbreaks before the law of large numbers kicks in, free fit testing and distribution of n95+ masks to everyone by mail, mandates to wear them (literally, to wear ffrs, not just face coverings) everywhere they're practical (and actual enforcement on planes, in schools, hospitals, etc. that are very high potential super-spreader environments), funds to put every doctor nurse and tech in a comfortable powered respirator at all times when interacting with patients, and financial supports so that people can just take days off and get re-tested any time they feel a little off, etc. can make the effective reproduction number lower than 1 in a human population. If the reproduction number is lower than one and stays there, humans win.

Obviously the systematic incentives are against all of that poo poo. Obviously we're paying a tremendous human cost right now and cooking up a future sars-cov-3 simultaneously and this fight is going to get harder every single day. But the techniques and technologies to fight the fight aren't out of reach and most importantly are not a moving target and we could adopt them tomorrow if the political economy wasn't totally hosed. HVAC and electrostatic filter media are not cutting edge, difficult to deploy, or yet-to-be-invented technology that may not even be possible physically the way a sterilizing vaccine is, they don't need to be updated the way a vaccine does. The ventilation upgrades, the filtration upgrades, and the FFRs that work today are going to work forever. Tests also to a slightly lesser extent due to target gene dropout but that's a much more solvable problem than vaccine updates to vaccines that are already very leaky. Obviously we should also be funding the sterilizing vaccine moonshot at the maximum level of effective effort but banking on that as the solution to this problem is, imo, looking for wunderwaffe to win the war rather than just outproducing the enemy and winning the battle of attrition that we're faced with anyway rather than continuing to lose it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The ability and willingness of governments to do token civic duties and provide nominal social goods has been decaying because consent manufacturing outpaced social unrest. I think I'm in a relatively small minority when I say that fatalism about the human species is a stupid and mal-adaptive response to such a crisis, but I completely understand how people get to that conclusion logically when you have decades of both scientific papers and popular fiction screaming DON'T IGNORE THE BIG OBVIOUS DISEASE OUTBREAKS THAT YOUR SOCIETY IS SETTING UP FOR and we beefed it so spectacularly. Nevermind, you know, uh. The centuries of inequality and brutality that preceded this particular highlight of stupidity.

the bolded is definitely a part of the process but I think the main cause of the effects that we’re grappling is the collapse of the Soviet Union.

it also keeps us away from the biotruths and ahistorical nonsense. we* had nice things because the bosses were scared of the other big boss. it took awhile for the nice things to go away because they had inertia.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

mawarannahr posted:

Profound sensorineural hearing loss was found in 7% of long-term COVID-19 patients. Mild sensorineural hearing loss for 6000Hz was found in 12–13% of patients, similarly to moderate sensorineural hearing loss. Severe sensorineural hearing loss for 6000Hz occurred in 3.4% of long-COVID-19 patients.

hearing loss as a symptom was reported in a case study out of the Mayo clinic as early as June 2020. Comparatively rare to loss of / damage to sense of smell, but yeah. It happens.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

More evidence that Covid makes you stupider

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1747648382531985621

Speaking of metformin, my brother got like a full year supply mailed to him. I was like wtf how did you manage to get that. Turns out that those same website where they put ads on Tiktok for hair loss medications and ED also have metformin on their website too. Turns out it's been prescribed off label for weight loss so I'm assuming that is why they got it, but hey that's a good thing for folks suffering from Long covid that doesn't have any insurance or doctors willing to prescribe it to them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

tuyop posted:

the bolded is definitely a part of the process but I think the main cause of the effects that we’re grappling is the collapse of the Soviet Union.

it also keeps us away from the biotruths and ahistorical nonsense. we* had nice things because the bosses were scared of the other big boss. it took awhile for the nice things to go away because they had inertia.

eh i think late capitalism would be late capitalisming regardless

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

good post

i've seen that analogy of the mid 19-th century cholera epidemics in london made. it was an ah-ha and galvanizing moment that led to huge increases in drinking water quality

the difference is that there was a genuine misunderstanding about how cholera spread back then, but a genuine desire to stop it. Now, we have genuine understanding of how covid is spread, but no genuine desire to stop it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

This is a few days old but since I've had covid back in September I've been having silent acid reflux flareups that manifest in me as jaw pain. I've also been having discomfort along my sternum that some medication for stomach ulcers has helped.

yeah just another fun post-viral thing you can get, I had a silent reflux for like 2 years after getting a bad case of the flu. it eventually resolved itself but still was not fun

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

eh i think late capitalism would be late capitalisming regardless
impossible to say. if the ussr had been successful in market reforms in 89/90, the world would absolutely look different than it does today, though.

climate change would absolutely be even worse, that's for sure

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

if the ussr had been successful in market reforms in 89/90,

they were successful. the 90s-2010s are exactly what their advocates wanted.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

good post

i've seen that analogy of the mid 19-th century cholera epidemics in london made. it was an ah-ha and galvanizing moment that led to huge increases in drinking water quality

the difference is that there was a genuine misunderstanding about how cholera spread back then, but a genuine desire to stop it. Now, we have genuine understanding of how covid is spread, but no genuine desire to stop it.

yeah the fact that i as an individual can buy almost all of these technologies - and they're not even that expensive for the most part - but theres no move to deploy them en masse should be the signal that we're totally hosed for reasons that have nothing to do with the tools themselves being insufficient to the task.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

they were successful. the 90s-2010s are exactly what their advocates wanted.
this simply is not true of gorbachev, nor of most people in the soviet union. it's true of yeltsin, the people who had their hands around him, and intellectuals in leningrad/moscow. so, depends on who "they" is

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Frosted Flake posted:

There are multiple causal factors contributing to the observed behavior; some are standalone and some interact and mediate/moderate each other. And some of them are less directly related to the etiology of COVID and the associated technologies and policies that would reduce disease burden than others.

One reason for what we're seeing that I'm guessing will resonate with you given your and your wife's work is that meaningful public health action to reduce the spread of an airborne pathogen as infective as SARS-2 is both hard work and inherently risky. Here I mean risky in the sense that you - the royal you of state power - can do everything "right" and still lose. Especially if you have a time table for arriving at a win condition that is politically- rather than operationally-determined. That's the fuckin rub here: any state that credibly commits to applying itself to solve this problem and fails is going to look like a no-capacity clownshow. And let's be clear, this is a problem of the safety and security of the population, which usually everyone from CATO to Cuba can agree is a first principle of state legitimacy. So now you're seen by some significant amount of your citizens as illegitimate.

In short: doing hard and risky poo poo leaves a real chance of failure, and failure implies illegitimacy.

Western governments and the people who staff them understand - some explicitly (like yourself) but most implicitly - that their legitimacy is under existential threat irrespective of SARS-2. These same organizations and people saw the resistance to basic public health measures and concluded that between the behavioral recalcitrance and the economic costs associated with meaningful state action, there was no way in hell they were going to do anything other than roll out a first generation vaccine before rolling up/back the other NPI-based measures. Mission Accomplished; doesn't the air just smell sweeter? Milder and milder. Etc.

Acknowledging this mistake and changing course takes you right back to the delegitimizing outcome but now you're there before you even do anything material. It's hard to imagine any western country changing tack and implementing useful public health policies again until they have had a sufficiently polarizing change of government that the new one can foist all of the blame for prior inaction on the old one. Whether that would work or not is an empirical question, but I personally don't think we'll see it tested anytime soon.

It's important to note that when I say taking evidence-based NPI approaches to reducing SARS-2 disease burden is hard, I mean that it is both materially hard for a hollowed-out state that lacks real internal capacity because they don't really know what to do or how to do things without a consultant, and that it is (1) perceived to be hard by the useful idiots who wield policymaking power; and (2) deliberately made to appear harder than it is by capital, which refuses to bear any associated monetary or transactions costs. See The Oldest Man's post re: the eradication red-herring and what is reasonably possible.

This is also the factor that is probably the most charitable to state decision-makers. They don't deserve any, but I felt inclined to post anyway.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

"We're never going to eradicate covid" is kind of a non-sequitur since the only human disease ever eradicated is smallpox. We haven't eradicated measles, mumps, rubella, influenza, RSV, herpes, HIV, etc. etc. the list goes on and on and on. Eradication is a nice goal to have but you don't need to get there to make the disease something that you don't have to worry about on a daily basis - and a sterilizing vaccine isn't going to get us to eradication either since we effectively have one for several less contagious diseases and haven't managed to eradicate those even with it.

Mandated installation of high ACH air cleaning technologies in all public spaces (whether that's ventilation, filtration, or upper-room UV or all three in combination), wide-spread CO2 monitoring, a campaign to do constant rapid PCR-quality surveillance testing to identify and knock down outbreaks before the law of large numbers kicks in, free fit testing and distribution of n95+ masks to everyone by mail, mandates to wear them (literally, to wear ffrs, not just face coverings) everywhere they're practical (and actual enforcement on planes, in schools, hospitals, etc. that are very high potential super-spreader environments), funds to put every doctor nurse and tech in a comfortable powered respirator at all times when interacting with patients, and financial supports so that people can just take days off and get re-tested any time they feel a little off, etc. can make the effective reproduction number lower than 1 in a human population. If the reproduction number is lower than one and stays there, humans win.

Obviously the systematic incentives are against all of that poo poo. Obviously we're paying a tremendous human cost right now and cooking up a future sars-cov-3 simultaneously and this fight is going to get harder every single day. But the techniques and technologies to fight the fight aren't out of reach and most importantly are not a moving target and we could adopt them tomorrow if the political economy wasn't totally hosed. HVAC and electrostatic filter media are not cutting edge, difficult to deploy, or yet-to-be-invented technology that may not even be possible physically the way a sterilizing vaccine is, they don't need to be updated the way a vaccine does. The ventilation upgrades, the filtration upgrades, and the FFRs that work today are going to work forever. Tests also to a slightly lesser extent due to target gene dropout but that's a much more solvable problem than vaccine updates to vaccines that are already very leaky. Obviously we should also be funding the sterilizing vaccine moonshot at the maximum level of effective effort but banking on that as the solution to this problem is, imo, looking for wunderwaffe to win the war rather than just outproducing the enemy and winning the battle of attrition that we're faced with anyway rather than continuing to lose it.

Great post

Baddog
May 12, 2001

captainbananas posted:

There are multiple causal factors contributing to the observed behavior; some are standalone and some interact and mediate/moderate each other. And some of them are less directly related to the etiology of COVID and the associated technologies and policies that would reduce disease burden than others.

One reason for what we're seeing that I'm guessing will resonate with you given your and your wife's work is that meaningful public health action to reduce the spread of an airborne pathogen as infective as SARS-2 is both hard work and inherently risky. Here I mean risky in the sense that you - the royal you of state power - can do everything "right" and still lose. Especially if you have a time table for arriving at a win condition that is politically- rather than operationally-determined. That's the fuckin rub here: any state that credibly commits to applying itself to solve this problem and fails is going to look like a no-capacity clownshow. And let's be clear, this is a problem of the safety and security of the population, which usually everyone from CATO to Cuba can agree is a first principle of state legitimacy. So now you're seen by some significant amount of your citizens as illegitimate.

In short: doing hard and risky poo poo leaves a real chance of failure, and failure implies illegitimacy.

Western governments and the people who staff them understand - some explicitly (like yourself) but most implicitly - that their legitimacy is under existential threat irrespective of SARS-2. These same organizations and people saw the resistance to basic public health measures and concluded that between the behavioral recalcitrance and the economic costs associated with meaningful state action, there was no way in hell they were going to do anything other than roll out a first generation vaccine before rolling up/back the other NPI-based measures. Mission Accomplished; doesn't the air just smell sweeter? Milder and milder. Etc.

Acknowledging this mistake and changing course takes you right back to the delegitimizing outcome but now you're there before you even do anything material. It's hard to imagine any western country changing tack and implementing useful public health policies again until they have had a sufficiently polarizing change of government that the new one can foist all of the blame for prior inaction on the old one. Whether that would work or not is an empirical question, but I personally don't think we'll see it tested anytime soon.

It's important to note that when I say taking evidence-based NPI approaches to reducing SARS-2 disease burden is hard, I mean that it is both materially hard for a hollowed-out state that lacks real internal capacity because they don't really know what to do or how to do things without a consultant, and that it is (1) perceived to be hard by the useful idiots who wield policymaking power; and (2) deliberately made to appear harder than it is by capital, which refuses to bear any associated monetary or transactions costs. See The Oldest Man's post re: the eradication red-herring and what is reasonably possible.

This is also the factor that is probably the most charitable to state decision-makers. They don't deserve any, but I felt inclined to post anyway.

drat

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tuyop posted:

we could have done this again with covid if we hadn’t hosed up the playbook China distributed to contain this poo poo.

if anything we're doing it EXACTLY by the chinese playbook: look the other way, bury all the evidence, and loving shrug. li wenliang never 4get

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

Obviously we're paying a tremendous human cost right now and cooking up a future sars-cov-3 simultaneously

a little unrelated, but how much genetic difference is required from 2 before it becomes 3?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
huh, doesn't Parkinson's Disease do something like tha-

quote:

Given our findings, we posit that over the coming years, there is a need to closely monitor COVID-19 patients for an increased risk of developing PD-related symptoms.
:toot:

although: these are largely in-vitro results, and the in-vivo component is 6 autopsies of COVID patients, who died of COVID (can't find details (ed: yes they died of COVID)) so this might not show up as often in people with less severe cases, we don't know yet

ed again: oh, hello there old friend, fancy seeing you here

quote:

Immunostaining showed accumulation of p-a-Syn (cohort 1, Figure 7F) in COVID-19 samples compared with the expression in non-COVID-19 samples, which indicates a potential link of PD phenotypes within the substantia nigra of COVID-19 patients despite the lack of acute clinical symptoms specific to midbrain dysfunction.

CGI Stardust has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Jan 17, 2024

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mawarannahr posted:

yeah that isn't what this person described at all. cool stats though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah that isn't what this person described at all. cool stats though.

tbh because it subsided, my guess is that it was just my ear canals getting hugely inflamed. my body reacts the exact same way to the vaccine, which is incidentally why i tend to avoid getting it -- i don't lead a high-exposure lifestyle, and going almost completely deaf is really quite terrifying if you've ever had it happen to you

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
ya know, I also have huge adverse reactions to the covid vaccines but the Novavax I got last time did not knock me down like Moderna did before.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Platystemon posted:

If it’s one of the approved expectant parent/elderly vaccines now being trialed in healthy adults, I would take it.

If it’s something else, it depends on the platform. I would not have taken Janssen’s vaccine candidate with an adenovirus vector, but they canceled that in May of 2023. I would take Bavarian Nordic’s vaccine with a vaccinia vector, but they may not want me in the trial because I have been vaccinated against smallpox and thereby the vector itself.

e: BN also discontinued theirs in July. :capitalism:

I just texted the trial rep spamming me about it and he said the manufacturer is Moderna. Considering doing it.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Once the Diamond Princess docked at Japan and they let all of the possibly infected people wander around without strict quarantine protocols, there was zero chance of eradicating COVID. That was the breaking point.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Everytime there is an ebola outbreak the US gets all tut-tutty over africans eating "bushmeat". But covid in deer here means that we can never get rid of covid.... because of all our hunters eating bushmeat? It's loving outdoors too. You'd have to be huffing the deer's dying breaths to catch covid from it. The gently caress is going on out there?

There are all sorts of diseases in wild animal populations that aren't ravaging us anymore because we learned things like "don't pet the prairie dogs".

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NeonPunk posted:

More evidence that Covid makes you stupider

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1747648382531985621

Speaking of metformin, my brother got like a full year supply mailed to him. I was like wtf how did you manage to get that. Turns out that those same website where they put ads on Tiktok for hair loss medications and ED also have metformin on their website too. Turns out it's been prescribed off label for weight loss so I'm assuming that is why they got it, but hey that's a good thing for folks suffering from Long covid that doesn't have any insurance or doctors willing to prescribe it to them.

Have there been any other studies ongoing about metformin and covid since that one last june? It would be nice if this readily available drug had treatment recommendations if it really is effective vs covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pink Mist posted:

a little unrelated, but how much genetic difference is required from 2 before it becomes 3?

thats a question of human taxonomic politics

you could make the case that omicron already was sars-cov-3, or jn1 is, etc. it's no different than "it's all omicron" vs "but the antibodies don't cross react."

Baddog posted:

Everytime there is an ebola outbreak the US gets all tut-tutty over africans eating "bushmeat". But covid in deer here means that we can never get rid of covid.... because of all our hunters eating bushmeat? It's loving outdoors too. You'd have to be huffing the deer's dying breaths to catch covid from it. The gently caress is going on out there?

how exactly do you think the deer got covid from humans in the first place? it's because there are a non-trivial number of people who go "oh cute deer let me pet it, have a snack deer" and covid is very contagious. reverse transmission is going to happen the exact same way.

quote:

There are all sorts of diseases in wild animal populations that aren't ravaging us anymore because we learned things like "don't pet the prairie dogs".

bad news about that, people still get plague every year because they cant stop petting prairie dogs: https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html