Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TwoPair posted:

It's the same kind of thing as that ball Peter had only it's super hosed up. Like one of those glitter bombs but with a "now you're blind" twist

Matt Murdock goes blind saving someone from a radioactive gender reveal bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bendis Daredevil is still probably the best Daredevil. It's really worth reading through and Brubaker's run picks up a ton of stuff from it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, I gotta read more DD runs. Whatta guy. The Waid run was one I planned to do after finishing Miller, not as interested in the Bendis stuff myself stylistically. Was even thinking of reading the Brubaker run without the Bendis run, though that'd have some missing context I gather.

The Bendis run is loving spectacular, if for nothing else than the Maleev art. I really think that Bendis' run is required reading, it's the foundation on which all subsequent Daredevil runs have been built.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think Miller's is the best or seems the coolest to me anyway. Even though Miller disappeared on a boat ride in the 90s never to be heard from again. I just haven't dug what I've tried from Bendis, his writing in general, the samples when I've looked into it and read about the run. Just doesn't look like my cup of tea in some ways, it's possible I could get into it but there's a lot of stuff more up my alley to check out. That Wake Up story for example, I'm like huh, not my thing I think. I like a different kind of neo-noir I guess. It's good that there's a wide variety of styles and tones they've tried over the years.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 17, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saoshyant posted:

How would you rank Daredevil's recent runs (up to about 20 years back)?

Uhm, gonna go 40 years so we can include stuff from the 80s, but Born Again is the best 6 issues of Daredevil ever written, then Bendis, then Frank Miller's first run, then Waid, then Brubaker, then Zdardsky. I need to read Anne Nocenti's run as a whole, the individual issues I've randomly read are really good and she invented Typhoid Mary, so she's probably just behind Frank Miller and ahead of Waid but I don't know enough to make a definitive decision. Waid, Brubaker and Zdarsky I could probably talk myself into switching the order on depending on my mood.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Heavy Metal posted:

I think Miller's is the best or seems the coolest to me anyway. Even though Miller disappeared on a boat ride in the 90s never to be heard from again. I just haven't dug what I've tried from Bendis, his writing in general, the samples when I've looked into it and read about the run. Just doesn't look like my cup of tea in some ways, it's possible I could get into it but there's a lot of stuff more up my alley to check out. That Wake Up story for example, I'm like huh, not my thing I think. I like a different kind of neo-noir I guess. It's good that there's a wide variety of styles and tones they've tried over the years.

If you don't like the Bendis Daredevil, maybe modern Daredevil just isn't for you. Strange, but it happens.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
However if you don't like Bendis's X-Men you have incredibly good taste.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I mean I'm only going to try and talk it up so much, but anything else by Bendis is going to come up short when compared to Daredevil. Even his Ultimate Spider-Man, which overall was very good, had some rough parts whereas I don't think there are any misses at all in his Daredevil run. I just can't imagine trying to read modern Daredevil without reading the Bendis run.

Rick posted:

However if you don't like Bendis's X-Men you have incredibly good taste.

I liked his X-Men. :(

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If you don't like the Bendis Daredevil, maybe modern Daredevil just isn't for you. Strange, but it happens.

I like the look of Waid's stuff, got the books on the shelf and read the first bit all those years back. And Brubaker's to me reads a bit cooler, just stylistically writing wise. It may be an outlier but not every fan of the stuff is into that one particular run. Or at least, it's not required to read those thousand etc pages of Bendis to try other runs first, it's all personal taste.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 17, 2024

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I certainly like those runs better, but the Bendis stuff is so foundational that skipping it really is doing yourself a disservice!

It's fine though, people skip important stuff all the time. At the end of the day, if you can't pick up a new writer and get what is going on in an issue or two it is either poorly written or you need to think more.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm sorry, Bendis? The writer Bendis?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Heavy Metal posted:

By the way, did you peeps know Silver Surfer and Mantis were kissing in the 80s? Pretty cool.
Steve Englehart wrote the Silver Surfer book in the 1980s, so that is a logical assumption to make even if I hadn't read parts of it.

Also insert similarly cliche Bendis and Miller jokes here I guess!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah I mean I'm only going to try and talk it up so much, but anything else by Bendis is going to come up short when compared to Daredevil. Even his Ultimate Spider-Man, which overall was very good, had some rough parts whereas I don't think there are any misses at all in his Daredevil run. I just can't imagine trying to read modern Daredevil without reading the Bendis run.

Daredevil allowed him to play around as someone coming from crime comics, and the "criminals talk about TV shows or whatever" thing was really in vogue. There wasn't an ensemble cast, and Bendis' weaknesses really show when everyone has the same voice. The same voice? The same voice. Huh. The same voice.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I like the tradition in modern Daredevil of each writer leaving with a major event in Daredevil's life for the next writer to have something to deal with. Bendis to Brubaker is probably the best example of that imo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

YouĂ¢Â€Â™re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Heavy Metal posted:

Matt Murdock was a pretty cool good dude in the Miller and McKenzie stuff. Well a little hard boiled craziness in Miller but that's cool. Just curious what he did that makes him a (beloved) awful person later. Is it Bendis and Brubaker?

You know besides all the poo poo he did with Heather

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

It's damning with faint praise a little to say that it's the highlight of the era, but I do think Bendis' X-Men is enjoyable on its own terms as well. It seriously engages with the idea of revolutionary Cyclops in a way no other book was willing to do.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I loved the time displaced X-Men from beginning to end. Legit one of my favorite periods of X-Men.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Also insert similarly cliche Bendis and Miller jokes here I guess!

Fine, if you're gonna make me feel bad about it....

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fittingly, Bendis jokes can only become cliché by repeating them.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Picked up my pull list for the last 2 weeks today and the shop owner told me A covers for USM #1 are already going for ~$50. I saw some listings on Ebay around that price, but are copies of a comic that came out just a week ago really going for that much already?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've seen a lot of buzz around the issue online. Most positive word of mouth I've seen on a new comic in a long time. And I've heard people that were looking for a physical issue were having a hard time finding it so yeah probably. It's not too surprising.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sell while it's hot imo it'll cool down later.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh for sure, speculator poo poo is dumb. Don't pay $50 for a comic. Buy a reprint or get it digitally.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

srypher posted:

Picked up my pull list for the last 2 weeks today and the shop owner told me A covers for USM #1 are already going for ~$50. I saw some listings on Ebay around that price, but are copies of a comic that came out just a week ago really going for that much already?

I picked it up on day 1 and the shop had the Tony Daniels variant going for $25. Probably even more scarce now so yeah, I guess so. Definitely an issue that's going to get reprints.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

bobkatt013 posted:

You know besides all the poo poo he did with Heather

Looks like Denny O'Neil wrote the main tragic thing that happened, haven't read that one. But I know it's out on a limb saying a hard boiled vigilante is a cool good guy, he seems like he tried hard.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

X-O posted:

I loved the time displaced X-Men from beginning to end. Legit one of my favorite periods of X-Men.

They did a really a really good job of making distinct characters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Only time I've purposely sought out variant covers was the first Krakoa Hellfire Ball.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Lobok posted:

I picked it up on day 1 and the shop had the Tony Daniels variant going for $25. Probably even more scarce now so yeah, I guess so. Definitely an issue that's going to get reprints.

I grabbed the stegman one because I just couldn't pass up an adorable Parker family photo.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

Only time I've purposely sought out variant covers was the first Krakoa Hellfire Ball.

I've got all 3 years of the Nakayama Hellfire magazine style covers. They just look so cool I think. I'm a fan of all his covers for the most part. I have an X-Men with a green background and Rogue on it signed by Duggan I really like. I'm not collecting for profit, just stuff I think looks cool, so I have a lot of variants just because I like the covers. I have MU and DCU so I get all my reading from them there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

X-O posted:

I actually thought they were mostly good when they ended up in the hands of different writers, they weren't a bad concept on their own.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can't tell if the new Chip Zdarsky Avengers mini is supposed to be Dark Knight for Cap or Dark Knight for the Avengers as a whole

I guess it'll depend on whether or not Thor shows up and whether or not Iron Man's pain in the rear end kid will be redeemed

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I hope Ryan North's run on Fantastic Four lasts at least another 10 years.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

I can't tell if the new Chip Zdarsky Avengers mini is supposed to be Dark Knight for Cap or Dark Knight for the Avengers as a whole

I guess it'll depend on whether or not Thor shows up and whether or not Iron Man's pain in the rear end kid will be redeemed

It feels like it's just for Cap but yeah it'll definitely matter how many more Avengers show up. I'm thinking since Avengers is in the title that there must be more coming. Definitely wanna see what Thor and maybe Vision are up to, since time means very little to them

rantmo posted:

I hope Ryan North's run on Fantastic Four lasts at least another 10 years.

:yeah:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Twilight seems to be primarily a Cap story, but since Kamala is on the upcoming covers I hope she gets a spotlight too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Twilight seems to be primarily a Cap story, but since Kamala is on the upcoming covers I hope she gets a spotlight too.

Oh hey that reminds me, whatever came of Spider-Man being so sad about Kamala dying? I remember it seemed like they were setting up that spurring him to some kind of action.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Oh hey that reminds me, whatever came of Spider-Man being so sad about Kamala dying? I remember it seemed like they were setting up that spurring him to some kind of action.

Well you see

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

So about that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gripweed posted:

She came back to life two days later, so no biggie. He does help out against orchis now occasionally tough

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Gripweed posted:

Turns out…

Also, between Daredevil and Fantastic Four this was just a delightful week in comics.

Also also, since y’all have been talking DD, I went to read Bendis’s run and accidentally read Kevin Smiths. Absolute garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Peter's reaction was 100% a mea culpa about using a beloved fan favorite character as an accessory in a dumb storyline as an excuse to soft-reboot her into a different lineup of characters

The older I get, the less tolerance I have for reading stories where the editorial mechanics of a story are really transparent

Which is probably why I won't ever read another big DC crossover that is about re-organizing the continuity ever again. Marvel crossovers aren't exactly great, but I feel like they're more about "Here's a fun thing story-wise" more than "I want to move the pieces around on the game board."