Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

VegasGoat posted:

Lol that guy was L.A. Beast but I’m guessing you knew that. Just posting context for others. I haven’t eaten gummi bears since that gummi bear video.

The light bulbs one really sticks in my head in an unpleasant way.

That said, he seems way more charming and authentic than most other youtubers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Three Olives posted:

"I hate cleaning my house."

"You could like hire a housekeeper and pay them a living wage."

"No, that is too much paperwork"

"OK, you could like buy a Roomba?"

"No, I need it to look GRIMES and fulfill my needs"

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Bubbacub posted:

That said, he seems way more charming and authentic than most other youtubers.

I love LA Beast, he's such a weird, sweet himbo. It's so funny how every video starts with him just surrounded with all his favorite 90s poo poo from being a kid, guy is zooted on nostalgia.

Also this video, which ends exactly the way you think it will, but the whole build is still incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeGIIQ8bbUY

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

LifeSunDeath posted:

guess it thought that wet cement was a pedestrian and drove right into it.

More Tesla drivers cars should be encased in concrete

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bar Crow posted:

The word robot literally means slave. That is its origin. Elon does not have new thoughts. He consumes and regurgitates science fiction.

I'd be genuinely curious what sci-fi books he's read in the last 10 years. Heck, sci-fi movies or shows he's watched in the last 10 years.

I don't get the sense he knows anything other than what he's absorbed through the internet and video games.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Who has time for books or movies or shows when you're running 4 companies and glued to X - Better Known as Twitter on your phone lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I highly highly doubt that musk knows the Etymology of the word robot or has fully paid attention(aka not be in a ket /drug haze) to any media in years or decade.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

why gently caress with words when you could be doing diablo 4 raids

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
In South Africa 'robot' means traffic light, so I think Elon just wants to build traffic lights.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The strong desire, or pathological need, to have human looking robots isn't borne or of some hyper capitalist need to have a humanoid robot do human tasks cheaper and better.

The need to use humanoid robots is borne out of the desire to have slaves. Being cheap or better is just a bonus.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Doctor Butts posted:

The strong desire, or pathological need, to have human looking robots isn't borne or of some hyper capitalist need to have a humanoid robot do human tasks cheaper and better.

The need to use humanoid robots is borne out of the desire to have slaves. Being cheap or better is just a bonus.

Elons robot obsession makes a lot more sense now

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Did Elon post how he played a game for 4 hours straight?

Does he not realize that reveals how little he has to actually do?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Presto posted:

In South Africa 'robot' means traffic light, so I think Elon just wants to build traffic lights.

No yellows

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Doctor Butts posted:

that's really all it is. all the robots I've ever worked with were fine in their completely alien, industrial form factor. I still had interesting relationships with each one because they all worked and behaved differently, every one had their little quirks and personalities, but I saw them as tools, like a bench saw, instead of slaves.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

#sports #meatball #hotdog

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

great username posted:

I love LA Beast, he's such a weird, sweet himbo. It's so funny how every video starts with him just surrounded with all his favorite 90s poo poo from being a kid, guy is zooted on nostalgia.

Also this video, which ends exactly the way you think it will, but the whole build is still incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeGIIQ8bbUY

I liked that video where he ate some McDonalds burgers or some poo poo and then ran some laps around a school track, and instead of putting his wrappers aside to throw away later he just threw them on the ground, and when another person at the track called him out on it he called them an rear end in a top hat. Or the video where he harassed some ostriches for... a video about him harassing ostriches??? But yeah, real sweet guy.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If I get a little robot friend I want it to be a Mouse Droid from Star Wars and make the little "bree-ree-rekka" noise and roll off somewhere

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
I bet it's 100,000 posts about the actual slam and 2.7m bot posts selling whatever the hell they sell on X better known as Twitter now lol

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

my alma mater recently had these little fuckers zipping around delivering overpriced food to students. they had to stop because people would either knock them over or hack them to open and give out free food.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Less Is Definitely posted:

Aw, the video makes me want to help this little robot buddy who got stuck in the snow.

That's weird because the video makes me want to shoot the little robot buddy who got stuck in the snow with a rocket propelled grenade

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I thought Battlebots figured this out like 20 years ago

Actually Battlebots is offering a reward to whoever can design a viable robot with legs that could conceivably win one of their tournaments. While the heavyweight division is generally limited to a weight of 250 pounds or less, walker bots are allowed to go up to 500 pounds as long as at least half of that weight is the legs and machinery that operates the legs.

The one walker bot I've seen someone use was an eight-legged monstrosity. It lost by decision because it was slow as gently caress and couldn't inflict much damage on the other bot. But they're trying.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

Picturing a family stalking a herd of these across the frozen tundra of the 2060s for sustenance.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah everyone says Horizon: Zero Dawn was good.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

smoobles posted:

my alma mater recently had these little fuckers zipping around delivering overpriced food to students. they had to stop because people would either knock them over or hack them to open and give out free food.

good. also throwing them in the nearest body of water would work.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Less Is Definitely posted:

In central Tallinn, Estonia, Starship delivery robots are a common sight. I once waited at a pedestrian crossing and was the only human next to a fleet of robots. They are little boxes with wheels though because this is more suitable for their purpose.

Maybe there will be a place for non-humanoid robots in day-to-day life like those in the future, but it's still expensive, destructible property. Am I going to send a $40,000 robot to go pick up the shopping, during which time it could be damaged, vandalized, malfunction, get lost, etc.? Only if I'm the sort of person for whom that expense is inconsequential. And if that's the case, why not just pay someone?

Sure, it's different if it's a little automatic delivery wagon, but I still think doing that runs into the exact same pitfalls, albeit at a lower price point. Like... I want a C3PO also, but that just isn't going to happen. If you want something that can function independently and autonomously out in the real world, with all the capabilities of a person, that requires minimal external support, we already have those. We call them employees.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Mudlark posted:

Picturing a family stalking a herd of these across the frozen tundra of the 2060s for sustenance.

This is essentially the world of Horizon: Zero Dawn, except with lame robots.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Songbearer posted:

If I get a little robot friend I want it to be a Mouse Droid from Star Wars and make the little "bree-ree-rekka" noise and roll off somewhere

Give me GRONK

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

kazil posted:

#sports #meatball #hotdog

Do you think Yacc thinks she's doing something impactful? Like, do they have executive meetings at the office to discuss the progress of the "sports campaign" and she adds a report about her Xcrement to the real advertising line items?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

redshirt posted:

Give me GRONK

:gonk:

:gonk::gonk:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Time_pants posted:

Maybe there will be a place for non-humanoid robots in day-to-day life like those in the future, but it's still expensive, destructible property. Am I going to send a $40,000 robot to go pick up the shopping, during which time it could be damaged, vandalized, malfunction, get lost, etc.? Only if I'm the sort of person for whom that expense is inconsequential. And if that's the case, why not just pay someone?

Sure, it's different if it's a little automatic delivery wagon, but I still think doing that runs into the exact same pitfalls, albeit at a lower price point. Like... I want a C3PO also, but that just isn't going to happen. If you want something that can function independently and autonomously out in the real world, with all the capabilities of a person, that requires minimal external support, we already have those. We call them employees.
Just put a shotgun in it.

Already having employees wraps around from a good point to a bad point to a good point again. We shouldn't feel bad about obsoleting Uber drivers and grocery deliverers. No one grows up wanting to be that, it's one of the most universally alienating jobs you can think of. But our capitalist hell system has no idea what to do replacing 5 years of paying some schlub with a 15 year capitalized cost that nets out lower even adding in maintenance and services besides letting them die in the streets run over by grubbot which was rushed to market.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

redshirt posted:

Give me GRONK

It’s GONK you absolute loving swine

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Legin Noslen posted:

I liked that video where he ate some McDonalds burgers or some poo poo and then ran some laps around a school track, and instead of putting his wrappers aside to throw away later he just threw them on the ground, and when another person at the track called him out on it he called them an rear end in a top hat. Or the video where he harassed some ostriches for... a video about him harassing ostriches??? But yeah, real sweet guy.

drat, I guess LA Beast is officially canceled now. wow

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hazo posted:

It’s GONK you absolute loving swine

Gonk body with Grok AI

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Buce posted:

good. also throwing them in the nearest body of water would work.

this is also good if you want scooter share companies to pull out of your city!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol they are paying to get their weird chud poo poo trending

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Time_pants posted:

There's a bit in one of Kim Stanley Robinson's books about terraforming Venus where it talks about the realization that human workers are just really useful. A few thousand calories a day, some minor comforts and luxuries, and you'll have workers more autonomous, flexible and bug-free than any robot.
That said a later book proposes an important fix for climate change is the establishment of an autonomous drone network designed to murder billionaires; a worldview not necessarily congruent with that of Mr Musk

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

MrQwerty posted:

WHY THE gently caress DO I HAVE TO CLEAN MY KEURIG I loving HATE THIS THING THE CLEANING PROCESS SUCKS

you can just use a slightly diluted vinegar solution to do it instead of buying the packs lol, just do the descaling process until it tells you its good

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

There's a bit in one of Kim Stanley Robinson's books about terraforming Venus where it talks about the realization that human workers are just really useful. A few thousand calories a day, some minor comforts and luxuries, and you'll have workers more autonomous, flexible and bug-free than any robot.
That said a later book proposes an important fix for climate change is the establishment of an autonomous drone network designed to murder billionaires; a worldview not necessarily congruent with that of Mr Musk

Do you mean Mars? Or does he write books about terraforming Venus too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Been watching this since the new year, it's good watching