Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
If the Commanders hire Johnson, do they keep #2 and draft Maye, or trade the pick for more picks and roll out Sam Howell for one more year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nervous posted:

There was a really in depth analysis of the running game here a few years back, and one its summaries/conclusions was that results like that are pretty much bog standard NFL stats for an RB. Nothing to indict over.

Yeah, totally. Ford did just fine doing his best filling in for an all-pro QB and it definitely could have gone much worse.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
That all being said, I never got the sense that AVP did much. The offense felt stale. Even when Flacco was ripping it, we'd go entire halves without scoring. We would win anyway, because we scored so much in the other half, but it definitely wasn't consistent.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/tkyles39/status/1747673081433170400?t=422kjDtP6eeNFzgDSNSFgA&s=19

Edit: I'm a dummy, but good quote for Mayo

Woozie66 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 17, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Woozie66 posted:

https://twitter.com/tkyles39/status/1747673081433170400?t=422kjDtP6eeNFzgDSNSFgA&s=19

Oh that's playing real well in Boston I'm sure (genuinely). The fans love to hear the black guy say racism doesn't exist.

lol Kraft, that ‘ole tug dummy

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A Sneaker Broker posted:

If the Commanders hire Johnson, do they keep #2 and draft Maye, or trade the pick for more picks and roll out Sam Howell for one more year?

I don't think a new owner is going to have the #2 pick and not use it on a QB. They gotta do something about the whole thing where Howell was on pace to break the all time sack record though. Surely some of that was on Sam but you can't send your shiny new franchise QB out there to eat 80 sacks.

Howell was OK at times but I don't think he did anything to make himself obviously the future of the team. Keep him around as a cheap high end backup. Or do another 1 year deal with Brissett if you can fleece somebody into giving you a good pick for Sam I guess.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Woozie66 posted:

Oh that's playing real well in Boston I'm sure (genuinely). The fans love to hear the black guy say racism doesn't exist.

huh? Mayo's saying racism does exist.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

huh? Mayo's saying racism does exist.

Wow you're absolutely right. Kraft baited and switched me. (And I'm an idiot.)

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

do you want to see Howell die or something

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Parallax posted:

do you want to see Howell die or something

Trade back one time for Olu or Alt. Go IOL in round two. They can make it work. Also gonna have $84mil in cap space to work with via SpoTrac.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Woozie66 posted:

Wow you're absolutely right. Kraft baited and switched me. (And I'm an idiot.)

Kraft ‘bating another guy is a new one

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Febreeze posted:

I think firing Chan Gailey after 2 straight wildcard losses probably gave him the reputation.

He also sacked Jimmy Johnson immediately after winning back-to-back Super Bowls.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/jasrifootball/status/1747364886705807726

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean I think the team being completely unprepared and straight up quitting for the last like month of the season is the bigger sign personally. Like, for as bad as the Patriots or Cardinals sucked, they were still going hard in some pretty drat pointless games.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sirianni was also talking poo poo after the win at Arrowhead this season. He never learned.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
3 of the Eagles last 4 coaches have gotten them to the Super Bowl. Before that it was Vermeil in the early 80s until Reid got them back 20 years later. I would give Sirianni 1 more season, especially if Tomlin is spending another year with the Steelers. I don’t think they are going to luck into another coach who can get them there.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

this behavior is only acceptable between saints and falcons coaches

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Didnt Sirianni get a few puff pieces last year about how his attitude was a perfect fit for philly? Maybe he let it go to his head too much...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Master Stur posted:

Didnt Sirianni get a few puff pieces last year about how his attitude was a perfect fit for philly? Maybe he let it go to his head too much...

yeah back when his coordinators were winning games and he was busy crying during the national anthem and flapping his arms for the cable camera

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Master Stur posted:

Yeah and it's been pretty cringe. Very few people here care for the coach wearing custom t-shirts that taunt the next opponent or yelling at fans from the sideline. I think he finally got the hint on the t-shirts but it's been an issue with him since day 1, and he got a pass because they were winning last season

syzpid posted:

3 of the Eagles last 4 coaches have gotten them to the Super Bowl. Before that it was Vermeil in the early 80s until Reid got them back 20 years later. I would give Sirianni 1 more season, especially if Tomlin is spending another year with the Steelers. I don’t think they are going to luck into another coach who can get them there.
I can't speak for how Vermeil ran things back then because that was simply before my time, but Reid and Pederson did the playcalling for and around the time of their respective SB teams here. Sirianni hasn't called plays since around the middle of the 2021 season, his first season, because he just wasn't effective at it, and they almost immediately improved when he gave it up. So now that leads to the problem of anytime you get a playcalling OC worth a drat (Steichen) they're gonna likely get poached. I saw in glimpses what Steichen did with inferior talent in Indy this season, and it was far more dynamic than what the Eagles were doing.

So that begs the question, what does Nick Sirianni bring to the table that warrants another year? Maybe an organization optics issue, but I don't know why they're gonna waste their time when I think next year's gonna be worse.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 17, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Did Siriani grow up an eagles fan or something? I know he's from a town in western NY but I don't know how team allegiances work out there.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He actually didn't grow up.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kalli posted:

I mean I think the team being completely unprepared and straight up quitting for the last like month of the season is the bigger sign personally. Like, for as bad as the Patriots or Cardinals sucked, they were still going hard in some pretty drat pointless games.

Yeah, honestly at the start of the season, I didn’t think highly of Gannon, but seeing that he typically had his team about as prepared as one can given their talent level, and the team wouldn’t give up on him and every player seems to speak highly of him, I think the Cardinals might have lucked into a pretty good hire all things considered.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eagles fans including myself didn't like Gannon because he seemed cut from that Vic Fangio school of "just give up everything underneath" and it led to a lot of gnashing of teeth. But I'll admit he punked the poo poo out of Sirianni in Week 17. The onsides kick late was a masterstroke, because it was win-win

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Been 48 hours, and still no firing. 10-1 to 11-7. Someone has to atone for their sins.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
iirc Gannon's biggest sin was that he just would not adjust at halftime, which led to a lot of teams threatening comebacks until the Chiefs finally went and did it in the Super Bowl.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

shyduck posted:

Eagles fans including myself didn't like Gannon because he seemed cut from that Vic Fangio school of "just give up everything underneath" and it led to a lot of gnashing of teeth. But I'll admit he punked the poo poo out of Sirianni in Week 17. The onsides kick late was a masterstroke, because it was win-win

Last year, there were also a lot of questions about how much of the defensive success was due to him and how much was due to an absolutely stacked defensive line. Now, after watching pretty much that same line wear down over the course of the year because they didn't get rotated to the same degree, it's pretty clear that he had a big hand in everything.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Seems like there's enough evidence there to say Gannon put together what he thought was the best defensive plan possible given their dl depth and mummified secondary? Do the Cardinals adjust their plan at the half this year? Maybe the lack of adjustments was a Sirianni problem moreso

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
My dream is Siranni picks up the phone to fire Matt Patricia, but instead receives a call that he himself is fired. Bill Belichick becomes the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, with his first act to install Matt Patricia as DC for life

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Eagles secondary was significantly better last season, and I think that's due to personnel more than scheme. They were all healthy and the older guys like Bradberry hadn't fallen off a cliff yet. CJGJ leaving didn't help. The new guys they brought in just haven't been effective. Byard was released by the Titans for a reason. Blankenship plays hard but is always, always injured. Maddox also dealt with injuries. Robe is terrible. Bradberry is cooked. Slay might be cooked now. The personnel situation is just a mess.

edit: this bring up another related point: the Eagles haven't been all that great at developing talent lately. Their talent either comes in as a Georgia/Alabama level elite college athlete with most or all the tools already or they're a good vet looking for a 1-year deal. If you're not in one of those categories, there's a bit of a struggle. I'm sure that's not a unique case, but in recent years they don't seem to elevate anybody.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 17, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

The greatest scenario is what if the Eagles kept Steichen for one more year, then fired Sirianni now and promoted Steichen to HC.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CapnAndy posted:

iirc Gannon's biggest sin was that he just would not adjust at halftime, which led to a lot of teams threatening comebacks until the Chiefs finally went and did it in the Super Bowl.

https://www.businessinsider.com/peyton-manning-halftime-adjustments-not-real-2023-1

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

shyduck posted:

The Eagles secondary was significantly better last season, and I think that's due to personnel more than scheme. They were all healthy and the older guys like Bradberry hadn't fallen off a cliff yet. CJGJ leaving didn't help. The new guys they brought in just haven't been effective. Byard was released by the Titans for a reason. Blankenship plays hard but is always, always injured. Maddox also dealt with injuries. Robe is terrible. Bradberry is cooked. Slay might be cooked now. The personnel situation is just a mess.

I mean, it's worth noting that Dennard Wilson was the DB coach last year and left after losing the DC slot to Desai. Now he's in Baltimore, and they have one of the most elite secondaries in the league. Guys getting old is definitely a factor, but I think at least some continuity with the past couple years could have kept the cliff from getting too steep.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Master Stur posted:

Seems like there's enough evidence there to say Gannon put together what he thought was the best defensive plan possible given their dl depth and mummified secondary? Do the Cardinals adjust their plan at the half this year? Maybe the lack of adjustments was a Sirianni problem moreso

Yeah no the Cardinals outplayed their projections. The defense sucked because the personnel was bad but Gannon was better than he should have been.

The Cardinals could use defensive support but frankly Ossenfort might know what he's doing with the draft.

I think Sirianni is a Jabroni who wears players thin and isn't enough of a lovable goof like a Campbell or Tomsula to play it off as his personality. Also unlike Campbell he doesn't loving do anything and has felt like Howie's Backpack the entire time

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Black Lighter posted:

I mean, it's worth noting that Dennard Wilson was the DB coach last year and left after losing the DC slot to Desai. Now he's in Baltimore, and they have one of the most elite secondaries in the league. Guys getting old is definitely a factor, but I think at least some continuity with the past couple years could have kept the cliff from getting too steep.
That's a fair point. And as we've seen with this mid-season bullshit with Desai and Patritica, continuity matters, because they definitely got worse in the latter half of the season.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The greatest scenario is what if the Eagles kept Steichen for one more year, then fired Sirianni now and promoted Steichen to HC.
I mean, that'd rule, but it's not like they willingly let Steichen go.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, that'd rule, but it's not like they willingly let Steichen go.
Also if Steichen had not left, the Eagles would have done a lot better this year.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1747753331718488217?t=X7oXZsxnzlAB9MWXRU58xA&s=19

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1747768869748723966?t=DFwthtepQXX-qix8pcK7BQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Too many Ds