Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Piranha Bytes (Gothic, ELEX, Risen) has been shuttered by Embracer

Ugh, I was excited for some of their upcoming games.

[edit]
Ooh wait Gothic Remake is still safe, but still this news sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Turns out what all these game studios were "embracing" ... was the sweet release of death!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

drat, they made some legit eurojank classics

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's doubly annoying because I cannot imagine a world where you buy Piranha Bytes and you don't know what you're paying for. Their costs can't be huge and their returns will never be huge either, it's what they do. What a shitshow.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Seeing tons of pre-release Palworld stuff, so it's an actual game and not some kind of meme NFT cash grab?

Is there any content beyond grinding up the tech tree, making more and more elaborate structures?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

poo poo, this hurts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

Seeing tons of pre-release Palworld stuff, so it's an actual game and not some kind of meme NFT cash grab?

Is there any content beyond grinding up the tech tree, making more and more elaborate structures?

Afaik not yet.

There’s going to be PvP stuff eventually and coop play as well. There’s not really a story and not sure if they are planning on having one.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
At least Egosoft still exists.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

exquisite tea posted:

Turns out what all these game studios were "embracing" ... was the sweet release of death!

Embracer Group forces one of its studios to embrace total annihilation, incident no. 4,000,000

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's why you need to stay independent like Larian

Alright you can let Tencent buy 30% of your shares but NO MORE

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Risen 1 was the only game of theirs that resonated with me, and I loved the heck out of it, but I know they had a fairly large following for a AA developer. Sucks!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Tencent at least seems to be content getting stock in places that are already doing well and not loving with them too much, though I am curious if that'll change after the reports near the end of last year about the downturn in the Chinese tech/game sectors. Seems like it can't stay that way forever at minimum.

E: Maybe after Bungie becomes independent for a third time Tencent can pick them up. :v:

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Sucks that this is, iirc, the second time that PB have lost control of the Gothic IP. First Jowood, now Embracer. :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

this sucks enormous amounts of rear end wtf

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is there a list of the studios that Embracer has sent to the abattoir? Because it's getting ridiculous.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

palworld does what nintendont

https://twitter.com/CONEY/status/1747670863682338994

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Is there a list of the studios that Embracer has sent to the abattoir? Because it's getting ridiculous.

also are they ever going to loving stop

Orv
May 4, 2011
Palworld seems like one of those fever dream Kickstarter projects from the mid-2010s that actually came out. I dunno if there's much actually worthwhile under the guise of its ridiculousness but it is funny.

Oxxidation posted:

also are they ever going to loving stop

lol no

They ballooned up to massive size and valuation and then the second that deal of theirs dropped out their valuation tanked so hard you'd think they were Enron. Remember that Crytek back in the 2010s had the temerity to open two new studios because of the success of Crysis and then immediately collapsed back down to a 40-ish person studio without releasing anything. Embracer did that times eighty.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 17, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I had never heard of Embracer before today but now I hate them

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

SirSamVimes posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embracer_Group#Former_subsidiaries

* Foxglove Studios (founded by THQ Nordic in 2016, divested in 2019)
* Square Enix Montréal (acquired by CDE Entertainment in August 2022, closed in November 2022)
* Plucky Bytes (founded by Amplifier Game Invest in November 2020, closed in 2023)
* Vermila Studios (acquired by Amplifer Game Invest in August 2020, divested in 2023)
* Campfire Cabal (founded by THQ Nordic in September 2022, closed in August 2023)
* Goose Byte (founded by Amplifier Game Invest in December 2021, divested in August 2023)
* Volition (acquired by Deep Silver in January 2013, closed in August 2023)
* Free Radical Design (founded by Deep Silver in May 2021, closed in December 2023)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

on the bright side, my new elex nft is gonna fund my retirement!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I somehow forgot about Volition :(

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

more like embracer poop

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Squiggle posted:

I somehow forgot about Volition :(

It's okay, they forgot themselves a long time ago.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If only they'd made another Freespace instead

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I was pretty skeptical that palworld would deliver on being a fun video game, but after watching a stream and how open they are with letting people show it off, it looks like people are really liking it and it looks pretty good. Honestly surprising.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

https://twitter.com/CONEY/status/1747671712475292017

human trafficking the video game

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Oh, Pokemon is cock fighting? Hold my beer"

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Random question: Steam does this weird thing where it asks me to verify my birthday on some games, but it pre-fills the date. Except, it has the correct day and year, but always shows the month as January (my birthday isn't in January).

Is this intentional? Can it be fixed/disabled?

It's been doing it forever but I only just considered asking about it.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Rusty posted:

I was pretty skeptical that palworld would deliver on being a fun video game, but after watching a stream and how open they are with letting people show it off, it looks like people are really liking it and it looks pretty good. Honestly surprising.

I'm more skeptical about the fact that the Palworld developers still have their other really similar game Craftopia in early acess on steam.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Annath posted:

Random question: Steam does this weird thing where it asks me to verify my birthday on some games, but it pre-fills the date. Except, it has the correct day and year, but always shows the month as January (my birthday isn't in January).

I feel like mine always defaults to like june 15 1939 because i just quickly entered that one time years ago and I never bothered to change it because it works. :shrug:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Estel posted:

I'm more skeptical about the fact that the Palworld developers still have their other really similar game Craftopia in early acess on steam.
I haven't looked at that title in a while, but they still update it, and this new game actually looks a lot further along that Craftopia did when it went in to EA.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Annath posted:

It's a bug. It's been there for like three years. No way to fix it that I know of, but it's not like I looked that deep into it. Probably nobody (Valve included) cares that much either, since everyone just presses the button to continue and forget it even happened seconds later. It's just a dumb thing, easily fixed that lingers.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Annath posted:

It's intentional in the sense that Steam tries at least a tiny bit to not allow people to play games ratings boards say they're too young for but honestly the prompt has been busted for years and seems to basically half store info and do whatever, so if it's not too annoying I wouldn't gently caress with it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I don't watch face cam streamers, is this what they call pog facing?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Leal posted:

I don't watch face cam streamers, is this what they call pog facing?

it's only pogface if they look to the side, otherwise it's just soyface

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

actually it's only pogface if it's sourced from the pog region of france

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Estel posted:

Yeah they are still updating it but I have no idea how much longer till they can say it’s 1.0.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

actually it's only pogface if it's sourced from the pog region of france

i checked and this is actually true ✅

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Annath posted:

it just remembers what you previously entered, for example mine has always been the most popular birth day, 1/1/1900.