Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
don't you know people will confuse the R logo with a star belonging one of the longest running highest selling dev on the planet, with the other R that literally says Remedy below it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
hey I wonder how video game modding is going

https://x.com/YakuzaSerbia/status/1747260742800486578?s=20

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Kind of a dick move when Remedy is remaking Max Payne for take two.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: eh, there was just speculation on my part here. it really is a kick in the dick.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 17, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Before playing AW2, I read some people saying that they liked the more combat heavy gameplay direction of the first game. I actually think it's probably the best change they made. Combat in AW1 got repetitive pretty quickly even though it starts of interesting. The whole game is basically Alan walking in the same foggy woods getting attacked by lumberjacks. In the 2nd game they added more boss encounters which are actually creepy and variety of locations is more appealing to me.

Just overall how the game flows in AW2 is more unpredictable. It's not just running light source to lightsource. There is some puzzles and the environment has more than just a secret cache. I feel like with AW2, the design is much better. AW1 had a great setup and story but AW2 just goes above it in the gameplay direction.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alan Wake 2 definitely feels less "meddled with" for the sake of player engagement. There are long stretches without any combat at all, just story, mood-setting and exploration. You get the feeling that if Remedy was less confident in their vision that there'd be a few more shooting galleries or two to punch up the action during these sections.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

exquisite tea posted:

Alan Wake 2 definitely feels less "meddled with" for the sake of player engagement. There are long stretches without any combat at all, just story, mood-setting and exploration. You get the feeling that if Remedy was less confident in their vision that there'd be a few more shooting galleries or two to punch up the action during these sections.
This is absolutely the game they wanted to make

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
A "Punch Up" DLC would be kinda sick, same story but you're given a shitload of ammo and just kinda get to waste everything, cannon fodder is ramped up, and more explosions happen for no reason.

E: and the Wilhelm scream happens when Alan dies

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 17, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

exquisite tea posted:

i sort of wonder if adding the combat in we sing was a compromise

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

site posted:

i sort of wonder if adding the combat in we sing was a compromise
There’s combat during the Ashtray Maze part of Control which is similar

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, ashtray maze was about combat while listening to a kickass song, whereas we sing is a giant music video that you walk through and watch

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
they hand you the flare gun during we sing so i think the combat might have been more about training you on how to use it and illustrating the events of the first game in a neat way than providing a challenge (unless you just fought the taken normally and never used it to save ammo, you hoarder)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Al! posted:

(unless you just fought the taken normally and never used it to save ammo, you hoarder)

This is me, I made that mistake. I have so much crossbow ammo in Saga's shoebox too...

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
the combat in take control is designed to feel more....harmonic? organic isn't really the right word. There's a bunch of enemies revealed to you in time with the music and you get to use whatever powers feel right to blaze through them.

the combat in we sing is literally being handed a flare gun and following arrows to a box marked "shoot the bush!"

they're both awesome

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

We Sing also allows you to avoid combat if you don't feel like fighting (though evading them takes some skill too), while I think the Ashtray Maze required you clear each room to progress. Both are indeed good, and We Sing was different enough to not just be a lazy remake of the same thing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Benagain posted:

the combat in take control is designed to feel more....harmonic?

somewhere sam lake just made the face involuntarily

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

anyway after some dying and reloading i realized that despite looking like a survival horror game, its drip feeding you the supplies you need so that even if you go all out you'll be restocked pretty fast, so theres no point in conserving anything for a later fight

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
AW2’s combat instantly got a lot more fun when I let go of my instinct to save resources and just started blasting poo poo with reckless abandon. All the resource boxes and crates and whatever are dynamic, even on Nightmare, and the game does a much better job of keeping you topped up than it seems like it will.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
On the other hand, popping open a ressource box and finding out it is empty because I've been smart with conserving ammo really sucks.
Also I wanted a melee weapon so bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Enemies will also just drop boxes of ammo and batteries if you’re low. Though batteries remained pretty tight for me because I always seemed to be aiming at just the wrong spot.

As for combat in 1 and 2 it’s not that I dislike it in AW2 at all - the RE2 remake is an obvious comparison and it remains one of my favorite games - but We Sing or the lakeside fight don’t play to its strengths. Fighting the Taken and the shadows is slow, tense, and surprisingly precise but those parts get some bombastic music going and throw a lot of enemies at you all at once which you’re expected to tear through quickly. We Sing gives you the flare gun but even with that the fighting didn’t really match everything else that was going on and the lakeside just had way too many enemies. I also realized I should have kept the double barrel shotgun instead of using the pump action because that reload speed is agonizingly slow, which would be great in almost any other context in the game but at the lake got me killed a couple times.

It feels like instead of big showy rock music the game should have gone with something slower and more sinister but still rock. I can’t think of an example but I’m sure something exists.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Al! posted:

they hand you the flare gun during we sing so i think the combat might have been more about training you on how to use it and illustrating the events of the first game in a neat way than providing a challenge (unless you just fought the taken normally and never used it to save ammo, you hoarder)

the latter part is funny because the game doesn't tell you it'll take away all the resources you find during it, so hoarding them or trying to skimp by is pointless. Just blast every taken with the flare gun.

NG+ even helps illustrate that you lose all Words of Power upgrades during the segment as well, which was kinda jarring when you go from near maxed to 0 upgrades suddenly.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kibayasu posted:

It feels like instead of big showy rock music the game should have gone with something slower and more sinister but still rock. I can’t think of an example but I’m sure something exists.

So more like Poets of the Fall than Old Gods of Asgard? :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We Sing might have only been the second-best musical segment from a game in 2023 where the characters narrate the content of the song as it is happening, but it was still really good.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i feel like exploring for more stuff makes the game harder

my 100% Hard playthrough was significantly more difficult than my Final Draft Nightmare playthrough. the random fights seem both more frequent and more difficult than the scripted fights, which seems pretty strange to me

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Ya and like I said I think it was for the better. Their engine is also phenomenal so ya you get some beautiful scenes and lighting is amazing in this game even RT off. Control is where I was really blown away by their engine but the setting didn't really allow for much artistic expression or these colorful tone setting scenes. There are so many moments in AW2 if you just stand and look, it looks like a dark painting.

I am playing on PC so not sure if it retains the same visuals on console, I did turn Ray tracing off because it completely tanks performance and without on ultra you are above 60fps.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Zokari posted:

i feel like exploring for more stuff makes the game harder

my 100% Hard playthrough was significantly more difficult than my Final Draft Nightmare playthrough. the random fights seem both more frequent and more difficult than the scripted fights, which seems pretty strange to me

I noticed something similar. On the way too and from the final Nursery Rhyme they threw like 4 taken at me on the most direct path all near a chokepoint so you couldn't really avoid them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MagusDraco posted:

This is me, I made that mistake. I have so much crossbow ammo in Saga's shoebox too...
The crossbow reload time is completely impractical!

I learned my "don't you hoard this poo poo, idiot" lesson in AW1 so I'm using what I've got, but so far what I've got is pistol, shotgun I solved a puzzle to get, crossbow I solved a puzzle to get but you gotta be kidding me with that reload, and flares that just plain don't seem as useful as they were in AW1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a crappy system. My first playthrough ended up being pretty disappointing because I'd open stashes to find like one flare or one first aid kit. It wasn't because I was hoarding, I was just playing well (on Normal) and the game stopped rewarding me. Sometimes I wonder why video games have supurfluous 'coins' or 'scrap' you can make minor upgrades with, Control certainly had enough, and now I get it. When you are playing well and your reward is nothing, it stops being very fun.

edit: Well it's not that crappy, it could just use tuning to ensure you always got some thing. There aren't even close to enough manuscript fragments to upgrade everything so getting one or two from a cult stash would have been cool.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 17, 2024

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

guess that's the problem with not having any sort of money. in re4 you at least get a few pesetas whenever you open something

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have taken Saga through the first boss fight after character-switching becomes available. I assume these are the questions I'm meant to be asking:

Did I actually pull Alan Wake out of the Dark Place? He's so strangely monotone when profiled. Is that Scratch or a tulpa or something?
Saga is quite clearly deluding herself, but to what extent? Have I seen Agent Casey interact with anyone else at all?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CapnAndy posted:

I have taken Saga through the first boss fight after character-switching becomes available. I assume these are the questions I'm meant to be asking:

Did I actually pull Alan Wake out of the Dark Place? He's so strangely monotone when profiled. Is that Scratch or a tulpa or something?
Saga is quite clearly deluding herself, but to what extent? Have I actually seen Agent Casey interact with anyone else at all?

Just keep playing, hard to speak on it when you're still so early lol.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no wait, i want to know more about agent casey not being real

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Agent Casey literally talks to multiple people in the initial chapters of the game? Like the other cops and the sheriff (not even spoiling this cause you'd have to be past that I'm pretty sure to have fought the first boss).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CapnAndy posted:

Saga is quite clearly deluding herself, but to what extent? Have I seen Agent Casey interact with anyone else at all?

Everyone is monotone when profiled, except for Taken like Nightingale.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

imo the coolest use of profiling is when the anderson bros start with that monologue until they can force their way in the mind place where they just talk normally

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only person who saw it this way, but I think Saga is talking to people's stream of consciousness or talking to a part of their mind that is in a dream-state, hence the monotone and how what they're talking about frequently gets metaphorical or just rambling.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

site posted:

no wait, i want to know more about agent casey not being real

thebardyspoon posted:

Agent Casey literally talks to multiple people in the initial chapters of the game? Like the other cops and the sheriff (not even spoiling this cause you'd have to be past that I'm pretty sure to have fought the first boss).
Yeah he does, but I wasn't paying attention then, and now I literally can't remember if anyone ever responds.

Saga is quite clearly an unreliable narrator to some degree, and that's got me questioning everything about everything she asserts to be true -- and her partner who's always hanging back and letting her take the lead and do all the active stuff and just so happens to have the name and face of Alan Wake's fictional detective character immediately went right up to the top of the list of things I'm looking twice at.

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only person who saw it this way, but I think Saga is talking to people's stream of consciousness or talking to a part of their mind that is in a dream-state, hence the monotone and how what they're talking about frequently gets metaphorical or just rambling.
I have literally no problem with the assumption that she's psychic and this is just her ritual for focusing it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

The crossbow reload time is completely impractical!

You absolutely have to get the two shot magazine upgrade to make the weapon usable and even then you will need to reload mid fight or swap to another gun.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah he does, but I wasn't paying attention then, and now I literally can't remember if anyone ever responds.

Saga is quite clearly an unreliable narrator to some degree, and that's got me questioning everything about everything she asserts to be true -- and her partner who's always hanging back and letting her take the lead and do all the active stuff and just so happens to have the name and face of Alan Wake's fictional detective character immediately went right up to the top of the list of things I'm looking twice at.

I have literally no problem with the assumption that she's psychic and this is just her ritual for focusing it.

Alan himself is also an unreliable narrator... funny thing that.

Also as an aside the crossbow is good, but like the above poster said you need the two shot mag. It's best used on the wolves or the axe throwers imo, and the wolves give you plenty of time to reload too. You can also dodge cancel out of the reload animation if you're about to get hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
yeah I think she's psychic, but I think her psychic ability allows her to communicate with people's unconscious mind which is a cool way of doing it if I'm not misinterpreting something