Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Bug and Take Shelter are both great “Michael Shannon fuckin loses it” movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done has Shannon do a young-ish Kinski.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Apparently Kurt Russel was hired to play McLeod in Highlander, but backed out to do Big Trouble in Little China.

Man, I would not want to live in a world without Big Trouble in Little China, but I really want to see that version of Highlander.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ehhh I feel like anybody could've played that part in Highlander. Big Trouble in Little China took a very special actor with the perfect mix of qualities that Kurt Russell has.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I think Highlander would lose something without Lambert in the lead. He comes across as weird and kind of spooky in a way that I don't think 80's Kurt Russell would.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And what fun would the swordfights be to film if the lead could see

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah Lambert over Russell is the right choice for the role. i could not under any circumstances buy Kurt Russell existing during the middle ages.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd watch Jack Burton in the middle ages though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Safety Factor posted:

Would this be like the Schwarzenegger Hamlet in Last Action Hero?

e: I realized after I posted this I was somehow mixing up Burton and Plisskin

Escape from Londinium

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Flying Zamboni posted:

I think Highlander would lose something without Lambert in the lead. He comes across as weird and kind of spooky in a way that I don't think 80's Kurt Russell would.

Fully agreed. He feels inhuman.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

You can! It’s called Army of Darkness!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Splint Chesthair posted:

You can! It’s called Army of Darkness!
No, that's Ashley Williams.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Safety Factor posted:

No, that's Ashley Williams.

No, that's Mass Effect.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I felt like some trash TV, so I watched Reacher first episode tonight, which did what it needed to. I was quite amused though: in the first scene set in a diner in Georgia they have these very beautiful Louis Poulsen mid century pendant lights.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Reacher is a perfect television program for dads. Like, they figured out the exact formula that would appeal to dads and then condensed it into an 'action-only' format and went with it. The writers room collectively watched Yellowstone and was like, 'This would be better if they stopped talking about ranching and just beat people up and sometimes the pretty lady got her boobs out', and an executive was like YES THAT'S WHAT WE NEED.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I saw a 30 second clip of Reacher and could instantly tell why it’s gold. I even thought about watching it, but the episodes are 45 minutes long, and I know I’m behind the times but I absolutely cannot do that format of TV. Give me a 22 minute show all day. If it’s gonna take me an hour I’m gonna watch a movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Reacher’s muscles bend reality. They’re like a genie that grants wishes. Reacher will get arrested by a crooked cop who handcuffs him and puts him in the back of a cop car and tells him he’s going to murder Reacher. Reacher leans over to his muscles and whispers “I wish I could get out of this situation” and bam! He gets out of it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I feel like Trump would love Reacher. Or at least like a 3 min compilation of the Big Man Hitting People and hot chicks

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Reacher is a TV show about a sentient block of meat running into (and through) obstacles. The premise of the show is that the titular Reacher is in fact Very Large, and everyone else is Regular Size, and as such he can just Do Violence and the problems go away. Something bad happening to someone? Reacher throws a slab of Grade-A beef at it and then the thing dies (or is horribly crippled) and everyone cheers and the beef shimmers. God does the beef shimmer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The biggest problem with Reacher is that the titular character is not large enough.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Reacher is a perfect television program for dads. Like, they figured out the exact formula that would appeal to dads and then condensed it into an 'action-only' format and went with it. The writers room collectively watched Yellowstone and was like, 'This would be better if they stopped talking about ranching and just beat people up and sometimes the pretty lady got her boobs out', and an executive was like YES THAT'S WHAT WE NEED.

I’ve got a cousin who used to be a studio exec (he found the script for Field of Dreams) and he likes the books a lot as genre fiction. I asked
him about the series as he has very good taste:

quote:

It’s ok. Competent, entertaining “Dad TV”.
As a dad, it did what it needed to. Competently is the right way to describe it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Reacher is a TV show about a sentient block of meat running into (and through) obstacles. The premise of the show is that the titular Reacher is in fact Very Large, and everyone else is Regular Size, and as such he can just Do Violence and the problems go away. Something bad happening to someone? Reacher throws a slab of Grade-A beef at it and then the thing dies (or is horribly crippled) and everyone cheers and the beef shimmers. God does the beef shimmer.

That sentient block of meat is also the world's greatest detective and scientist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Reacher owns. People try and say it’s for dads, chuds, white people, but it is for everyone who likes cool things

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
He fills a similar niche as Fist of the North Star except he gets laid and got knocked out once

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Reacher owns. People try and say it’s for dads, chuds, white people, but it is for everyone who likes cool things

Reacher is a good series because sometimes you just want to see a smug guy get punched in the face and Jack Reacher almost exclusively punches smug people in the face.

Sometimes he shoots them in the chest like seven times after snapping one of their limbs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is JR himself not also a little smug? I’ve only seen stills of the show

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jay Rust posted:

A little smug, yeah.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

He's smug because he's always sitting with the knowledge that he could fold a stranger in half like a piece of paper at any minor inconvenience. And he does!

e: I made a comic to help you understand the show

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 18, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

He's smug because he's always sitting with the knowledge that he could fold a stranger in half like a piece of paper at any minor inconvenience. And he does!

lmao

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also the world of Reacher is a world of no moral ambiguity. The bad guys are the worst fuckin' people in the world, super-predator comic book villains who deserve to have a large man feed them his fist. The fun comes from them saying "ha ha! I'm a bad guy, and I'm going to do bad things that hurt people to enrich myself, and you can't possibly stop me Reacher!" and then Reacher stops them with a comical level of violence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mordiceius posted:

That sentient block of meat is also the world's greatest detective and scientist.

So he's basically hobo Batman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So he's basically hobo Batman.

With fewer sidekicks.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching Pottersville after the mention earlier. About halfway through and enjoying how baffling it is. It's such a bad, but wild premise, acted by some of the legit best out there. Like how is the production section of this movie's wikipedia only three sentences and not about whatever wild budget they must have had / blackmail to get this cast:

quote:

Production
Pottersville was filmed in Hamilton and Syracuse, New York.[2] Six students from nearby Colgate University received internships for the production, and one faculty member served as an extra in the film.[3] Principal photography ended in May 2016.[1][4]

Also watched Abigail's Party (and you can too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_MZ1WKGO9U) and really dug it. Takes a minute of settling in, and is less a movie than a recorded stage play, but it starts to hum early on and ends brilliantly. A woman (Beverly) hosts a get together for her neighbors while one of their daughters (Abigail) has a party next door. The passive and blatantly aggressive vibes start to fly early and it's just so well done it's easy to get over the whole thing taking place in one room. A very well done play. Aggressively 70's and British.

https://i.imgur.com/iquOmCd.mp4

& finally watched Sushi Girl which is as anyone reviewing will say is a mediocre Tarantino pastiche. "Bunch of characters who did a robbery six years ago get together over sushi to find out from the guy who got arrested where he stashed the diamonds they stole." But Tony Todd is good, Mark Hamil is doing Mr.Slave voice, and the resolution is obvious but fun. Solidly ok enough.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 18, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Is Reacher as good as Warrior? I've only seen the latter and it's top tier action TV

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Remove the images and this is the book too

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

this panning split diopter shot in Come and See (1985) floored me, anyone know how they did it? presumably just mounted the split lens and panned over to it right? never seen anything like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIiApN6cfg&t=7512s
starting at 2:05:12

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

and then the beef shimmers

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would like to see Tom Cruise Reacher meet TV Reacher and get on his shoulders to become Mega Reacher.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gatts posted:

I would like to see Tom Cruise Reacher meet TV Reacher and get on his shoulders to become Mega Reacher.

GO GO POWER REACHER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jenny Agutter posted:

this panning split diopter shot in Come and See (1985) floored me, anyone know how they did it? presumably just mounted the split lens and panned over to it right? never seen anything like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIiApN6cfg&t=7512s
starting at 2:05:12

Wild guess but maybe they shot it without panning with the girl in frame the whole shot, then zoomed in on the film and panned around

The typical tell-tale signs of zoom and pan (no motion blur) wouldn’t be noticed because the pan only goes a short distance and slowly