Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fatty posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/cryptic/29186

I wonder if it was for a task, or if he just wanted to reveal he was a contestant.

That has task written all over it. I hope it means a return of the 'do X, you have until the recordings' style tasks.

I feel like a lot of tasks would work better if they didn't have a tight time limit. 'Do the stupidest thing' could've had some wild results if they had months to come up with something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

That has task written all over it. I hope it means a return of the 'do X, you have until the recordings' style tasks.

I feel like a lot of tasks would work better if they didn't have a tight time limit. 'Do the stupidest thing' could've had some wild results if they had months to come up with something.

I think it depends, for a lot of tasks the funny part is that they absolutely do not have enough time to think it through. The really long ones though can be funny because they clearly have way more time than they would ever actually need which means the only ceiling is how much effort they're willing to put into the task in their own spare time. Although the fact that a lot of these tasks end up pretty half-assed might be why they've stopped doing them.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I think 100% of the time the best results for tasks that you have until the studio to do are the ones where you get someone stalking taskmaster, or robbing them, or sneaking in to their home while they're asleep.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And then you get Rhod Gilbert who does all that without being specifically tasked.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
The "I stole your girl" sequence from NZ was such a highlight

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Bob posted:

The "I stole your girl" sequence from NZ was such a highlight

Oh god yes it was.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I know that Pac'n'Save! I take her there too!

actually just the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XYbUqb_gFI

Leraika fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 18, 2024

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it depends, for a lot of tasks the funny part is that they absolutely do not have enough time to think it through. The really long ones though can be funny because they clearly have way more time than they would ever actually need which means the only ceiling is how much effort they're willing to put into the task in their own spare time. Although the fact that a lot of these tasks end up pretty half-assed might be why they've stopped doing them.

Indeed. Compare the effort put into this task, for instance

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

stev posted:

"You have to do something stupid on purpose, you can't just be stupid" might be the most unjust Greg ruling in taskmaster history.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Strawman posted:

"You have to do something stupid on purpose, you can't just be stupid" might be the most unjust Greg ruling in taskmaster history.

I'm with Greg. I think this is the one instance where it's not okay to unintentionally complete the task through sheer stupidity.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More outtakes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bTXHk-y7Ek

I've checked if anyone lied about their honorary doctorates, and no, they are all real. Even Alex's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KojJeqqt4

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

More outtakes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bTXHk-y7Ek

I've checked if anyone lied about their honorary doctorates, and no, they are all real. Even Alex's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KojJeqqt4

Yeah a lot of schools will give honorary doctorates to famous alumni. Sometimes they'll give them to people who didn't even go there.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Finale next week. The instrument task got a bit unhinged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND_B1w3bAEY

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Xerol posted:

Finale next week. The instrument task got a bit unhinged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND_B1w3bAEY

Yeah, this is a real strong episode of a consistently good production. Horn de Sade would be a highlight of any TM series, Protect the Balloon is IMHO a better version of TM Au's Protect the Popcorn, and the built-in escape hatch for the Touch Grass task was a lovely touch. Also, amazing how the squirt task was promoted from tiebreaker to full task again!

Protect the Popcorn appeared on the new series of Bäst i Test as well, along with the biscuit dunking live task. They've also moved to a new network, and in doing so have changed the format to be more similar to the original - it's now a fixed panel of five rather than four + guest each week. They had two pretty good original tasks at the top of the show:

pre:
Sing lyrics to [the Taskmaster theme] containing as many facts about yourself as possible.
The facts may not be about this TV show.
The song will start in 10 seconds
pre:
Affix something other than a wheel to this mobility scooter [which is missing the back left wheel],
then ride it through the obstacle course.
Fastest to successfully complete the course wins.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The second one's a bit similar to the replace the rc car's wheel from TMAU, just with a higher chance of injury.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Good point, there are so many version of TM it's getting hard to track when something is original, variant or repeat! It's taken me until today to remember that Kongen Befalen did "Put this hat on the assistant's head from as far away as possible", and the CoC III hat task is a straightforward adaptation of it. In the original take, one creative contestant had Olli stand far away from the camera, then held the hat much closer and used forced perspective to place the hat on his head within the frame.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Taping two grabbers end to end may well be the farthest conception/execution disconnect we've seen in 150 episodes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heavy_D posted:

Good point, there are so many version of TM it's getting hard to track when something is original, variant or repeat! It's taken me until today to remember that Kongen Befalen did "Put this hat on the assistant's head from as far away as possible", and the CoC III hat task is a straightforward adaptation of it. In the original take, one creative contestant had Olli stand far away from the camera, then held the hat much closer and used forced perspective to place the hat on his head within the frame.

There's probably a spreadsheet somewhere that tracks every task across all versions, there must be.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 20, 2024

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Paladinus posted:

There's probably a spreadsheet somewhere that tracks every task across all version, there must be.

There's a wiki that sort of does it, see https://taskmaster.fandom.com/wiki/Eat_as_much_watermelon_as_possible for example, but it's not exactly complete.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Having said it's hard, taskmaster.info does a pretty good job of it. One of the concepts they have in their database is the "mastertask", which ties together the original task and any adapted versions of it. For example, put the hat on someone is here:
https://taskmaster.info/mastertask.php?id=542
A task with a longer pedigree, like empty the bathtub, can have a very extensive list of adapted attempts
https://taskmaster.info/mastertask.php?id=2

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's good, but I'd still prefer a spreadsheet.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Rewatching some TMNZ, and I really like how they put a second seal on the second task in the vase smashing one, to make sure that no one would miss it.

it didn't work

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsPkW2q1c30

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Series 15, Episode 10 there's a task to copy what Alex does, gain 10 seconds for each task you skip. my thought at first was to not do any of them and then just try and hit the button -10(x) seconds away with x being number of tasks. Maybe I misunderstood the rules though and that wouldnt work anyway. If nothing else, a few people spend over a minute failing tasks and I reckon after 10 seconds of loving up, best move on? Then again, if you're doing the tasks at all you need to get several of them done to not have vaseliney hands for peel stuffing. or else use your shirt or something to scoop out the goo. fun task!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Series 15, Episode 10 there's a task to copy what Alex does, gain 10 seconds for each task you skip. my thought at first was to not do any of them and then just try and hit the button -10(x) seconds away with x being number of tasks. Maybe I misunderstood the rules though and that wouldnt work anyway. If nothing else, a few people spend over a minute failing tasks and I reckon after 10 seconds of loving up, best move on? Then again, if you're doing the tasks at all you need to get several of them done to not have vaseliney hands for peel stuffing. or else use your shirt or something to scoop out the goo. fun task!

That strategy works because you know the ending.

It could easily be 150 little things Alex does that on average last like a second or 2. Or it could be 10 20 second things.

Doing it without the knowledge of the ending is a risk, and while some contestants take that risk, it only pays off like 40% of the time because the show actively screws people over sometimes when they make that choice

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

If I played the game I would simply have opened the garbage can with Alex in right away.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

That strategy works because you know the ending.

It could easily be 150 little things Alex does that on average last like a second or 2. Or it could be 10 20 second things.

Doing it without the knowledge of the ending is a risk, and while some contestants take that risk, it only pays off like 40% of the time because the show actively screws people over sometimes when they make that choice

watching it again, I actually don't think it would work by the rules, plus yeah if the tasks could've been shorter than 5 seconds then it is just a bad trade. even though they ultimately scored based on the difference between time, the task says a lot of of "you must" about attempting to mirror Alex until you are satisfied you have done what Alex has done. not even accounting for greg, I think not attempting the task would be a disqualification of the task as stated. I think it would also be harder to do anyway especially with attention issues -- you'd have to focus up more than monkey see monkey do. Case in point, rewatching the video to reread the rules to check, i still could not even keep track of how many -10s i would need to use the idea on jenny's run, the longest one.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Been watching TMNZ on the Taskmaster YouTube channel as it releases, and despite season 1 being a bit mid, season 2 is already up there with some of my absolute favourites. The diss track task had me almost in tears.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Martian Manfucker posted:

Been watching TMNZ on the Taskmaster YouTube channel as it releases, and despite season 1 being a bit mid, season 2 is already up there with some of my absolute favourites. The diss track task had me almost in tears.

The diss track is the best musical thing any taskmaster has done. I still occasionally sign "I'm gonna gonna gonna drown you, in your own blood" to myself.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Explodingdice posted:

The diss track is the best musical thing any taskmaster has done. I still occasionally sign "I'm gonna gonna gonna drown you, in your own blood" to myself.

Guy, Laura, and Matt's christmas songs were also genuinely great.

Also, when they start putting up s3: it starts a little slow but picks up steam really nicely; it's got probably my favorite escalating task over a couple of episodes at the end.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Explodingdice posted:

David amps himself up so much for that, he's pacing, practically grinding his teeth by the time they record the track. Then in the studio he's just abjectly apologetic, it's incredible

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Martian Manfucker posted:

It's as good as the show's ever been. I've tried in vain to get a lot of friends to watch it, but without exception every one that has has agreed with that. I put it on the same pedestal as S7 if not a hair higher. Everyone is so chummy by the end of it it's great.

After you're done with that, check out the Guy Montgomery Guy's Montspelling Bee for a bit more of the same cast getting together. They did a handful of fun streaming shows after the fact.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Explodingdice posted:

It's a tough choice between that and Nish And Mark's song that's for sure.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I put it to everyone that the psychological trauma inflicted on David Correos with the shoelaces is both the meanest and funniest Taskmaster has ever been

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!
I think the stay in the caravan during the grape task was worse on him. Entirely self inflicted of course.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Series finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrQu4mLWeY

Episode: Parker got robbed on the frisbee task although I think if he had made a bigger show of actually throwing it, things would've gone differently. I am glad milk and powder day is not returning for 99 years and X months. I think everyone had figured out the water thing was from a task but what it was surprised me. The studio audio being not the best quality took away from the noise task a little, Carter thinking half the people were Parker is such a TM thing to do, but it was solid overall. e: Also completely forgot about the sticker task until I previewed the post and saw the thumbnail. A definite highlight.

Series: For being an amateur production the less polished bits didn't bother me too much, and it was definitely better than season 1. But I can't think of a single task that was a complete dud, every one was entertaining even if there weren't too many "genius" moments. Other S1 contestants filling in for Cole was neat, if a little strange, but it didn't take away from anything and in a few cases made it better when the replacement just had no idea how to explain what Cole did. Everyone had different strengths and weaknesses, and the scores came out fairly close in the end; it's not like anyone ran away with the series or was an obvious frontrunner until the last 2 episodes. Also the guests were a neat addition.

Also there's no way that ice was still ice after filming 2 studio episodes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Xerol posted:

Also there's no way that ice was still ice after filming 2 studio episodes.

I mean there's a reason people use it in ice coolers. As someone who's lined many kegs with ice, can stick around a surprisingly long time.

Taskmaster Minnesota is very much an amateur production, but if you're a fan of the format, check it out. It's genuinely wonderful and surprisingly creative at times that's incredibly endearing. It's very much like the New Years Treats where none of the contestants are comedians, but the format works anyway. It's fantastic.

Very glad Parker ate poo poo in the last episode, as he won the last freakin' season. I'm surprised he wasn't the Taskmaster this one! Felt like a good reward for winning. But I suppose doing more tasks is the original's reward for winning, so this tracks well enough.

I hope when David graduates he gets hired by TM HQ. Kid has literally made the best possible resume for being involved with this kind of shenanigans.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Yeah, there are a bunch of tasks that the TV editions should licence out

- Make and eat a parfait (from season 1)
- Steal candy from a baby
- Feather obstacle course
- Mime the instructions of the task to your teammate
- Make the painting that wins the most awards
- Bead bracelet exam
- Ring this bell as elegantly as possible
- Invent and demonstrate a brand-new musical instrument
- Touch grass
- Frisbee throwing/distance halving
- Make the best new tradition

The bit on that final task where David interjects "what do we always say?" when they're about to open the task was 100% Alex energy.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any word on a season 2 for Australia? Really liked the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

Any word on a season 2 for Australia? Really liked the first one.

There's going to be one in 2024, but no further details.