Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Randy Travesty posted:

I manage a sales org.

I just took over Jan 1.

People didn't know they had to make phone calls out to prospect. At all. They just thought business would show up. So I made them all standardized reports and told them make fifty dials out a day. Not hard.

Turns out that's how you get business??? I hope I fail into another promotion so hard I get told to never sell a thing personally again.

I would say that making your sales staff make over 6 calls an hour is incredibly unhelpful, unless your business is scamming old demented people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Some of these return authorizations I see on Amazon are the wildest and dumbest reasons ever. A lot of people are also committing blatant mail fraud in broad daylight. If there were a hotline I could call to get people arrested for cash, I would be a multi-billionaire by now.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Over the past year I've repeatedly reminded our manager that we need to document our services into the company service portfolio so our bosses don't sign us up to do vaguely related stuff we're not qualified to do or agree to wildly unrealistic schedules. The issue hadn't moved forward because it was supposedly complicated.

I finally found out who runs the service portfolio. Turns out the "complicated process" involved filling in a few headings into a spreadsheet. It took 15 minutes, ten of which were spent making sure that was really all.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Machai posted:

My wife's company is now requiring employees to write reviews of other employees that are publicly posted in Slack. They will be used during annual reviews.

I was next to my HR manager when I got the text and she was aghast and told me that might be lawsuit worthy.

:psyduck: Does HR want the company to implode?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Machai posted:

My wife's company is now requiring employees to write reviews of other employees that are publicly posted in Slack. They will be used during annual reviews.

I was next to my HR manager when I got the text and she was aghast and told me that might be lawsuit worthy.

Are the reviews anonymous?
Are the c-levels included? :getin:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

printers should have a service contract. dont do printers. printers are the devil.

At my previous gig, I had the horrible task of closing out an office who'd been mismanaged to hell and beyond, losing money year after year, and dragged a lot of decent people's reputations into the mud with them. I was sent to clear out the office because my boss "didn't know what they did down there, and PUFS at lease knew what assets were worth keeping." There's more to unpack there but I want to tell the printer story.

By the time I'd been shipped down there everyone was laid off and the office was a ghost town. Had been ~20 employees. They had 3-4 decent HP printers like you'd find in a small office back then, or nice home office now. And a giant gently caress-off office Xerox printer that frankly I couldn't see our org needing, ever. As I was liquidating what I could, junking more, that drat printer kept being a problem. We found out it was under a service contract that would cost $15k to break.

Just one of the amazing management decisions made in that office. But ultimately overseen by my boss who again "didn't know what they did down there."

Those months were the worst in my career. A few years ago I had a gov't interview where they did one of those "tell us about a challenging time in your career" START questions and my eye started to tic. I run into that old office manager every couple of years at industry events and my blood boils.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Randy Travesty posted:

I manage a sales org.

I just took over Jan 1.

People didn't know they had to make phone calls out to prospect. At all. They just thought business would show up. So I made them all standardized reports and told them make fifty dials out a day. Not hard.

Turns out that's how you get business??? I hope I fail into another promotion so hard I get told to never sell a thing personally again.

Fake edit: I was told today by boss not to sell anymore until February last week because my "tickets are clogging up the business pipeline." Ok. I'll just...manage? Manage to watch a lot of YouTube and do all my ce for the year in one week.

You can just subcontract the YouTube watching to me, my rates are very reasonable.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
fifty cold calls a day?

gently caress.

nevermind i'll take the printers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I assume they are not exactly mining a hot vein of juicy leads. I assume you talk to like 10 humans and maybe start cooking 0.25 orders for each block of 50.

Like this is just normal outside sales of widgets or cheap services? If you're not otherwise utilized with sure leads you're spinning the virtual rolodex in your CRM until you are.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Outrail posted:

Are the reviews anonymous?
Are the c-levels included? :getin:

Anonymous to you, me, and the other people in the trenches? Sure.

Anonymous to the supervisors and anyone in charge? LMAO.

poo poo, even beyond being cynical truly anonymous peer reviews of fellow employees would be a legal nightmare.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can't imagine cold calling in 2024.

I don't even answer calls from my wife.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Whenever someone calls me I typically tell them to put whatever they want me to do in an email and send it to me. This is both to create a paper trail and because there is like an 80% chance I will forget everything I talked about on the phone within five minutes of hanging up.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Randy Travesty posted:

I hope I fail into another promotion so hard I get told to never sell a thing personally again.

This is called the Barudak Gambit

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Can't imagine cold calling in 2024.

I don't even answer calls from my wife.

I sit near a dude in sales that has to do cold calls and 99.99% of the time he never even gets to finish his first sentence before they hang up on him. It's rough as hell to listen to.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 18, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I keep cold callers talking until they hang up on me

Feels like a little victory every time and I’m usually on the clock when they call so it’s not like I’m wasting my own time really

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

wash bucket posted:

I sit near a dude in sales that has to do cold calls and 99.99% of the time he never even gets to finish his first sentence before they hang up on him. It's rough as hell to listen to.

There’s an opposite to this problem too. The other day I went to call a customer, and the guy answered the phone, yelled “I’m not buying what you’re selling!” and hung up.

He then called the next week upset, because we never called to tell him his order was ready.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Domus posted:

There’s an opposite to this problem too. The other day I went to call a customer, and the guy answered the phone, yelled “I’m not buying what you’re selling!” and hung up.

He then called the next week upset, because we never called to tell him his order was ready.

Hmm, seems like everyone getting 20+ scam phone calls every day for the last decade has undermined a vital piece of infrastructure.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Randy Travesty posted:

fifty dials out a day.

Fifty cold calls a day?! ACID PIT

hazed glam
Jun 11, 2018

Randy Travesty posted:

are these people who gave their info willingly for the product/service at some point in the past and just were never followed up, or is this straight-up "buy cold call contacts off the internet" cold calling? big difference here

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Some of these return authorizations I see on Amazon are the wildest and dumbest reasons ever. A lot of people are also committing blatant mail fraud in broad daylight. If there were a hotline I could call to get people arrested for cash, I would be a multi-billionaire by now.

go on...

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

hazed glam posted:

are these people who gave their info willingly for the product/service at some point in the past and just were never followed up, or is this straight-up "buy cold call contacts off the internet" cold calling? big difference here

business to business, hot leads - as in calling people back, and most go straight to voicemail so you're likely leaving them a voicemail, at which point you will also send an email, and then you will largely conduct business via email and face to face meetings.

fifty dials out a day is usually about 2 hours, because out of fifty dials, you will probably get maybe 8 conversations. 6 will likely be their admin who will either transfer you to voicemail, or will take a message to call you back. that's just, that's the business. when you do talk to someone, or get a call back, you'll do a probe and profile on them to figure out what they need (i.e., ask questions, idiot), and then figure out if you're going to meet them face to face or via teams or whatever, or if you're going to just go here's some rates and product training and sales materials, godspeed, call me if you need poo poo.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

It's a straight up wholesale job. That's wholesaling. It's boring and ultimately not in line with my core values on a grand scale, but I am sick and need insurance, and I like living inside.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got told we have to stop selling again, so Ill present a plan next week about what I would do, if I was supposed to be doing something.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Barudak posted:

I got told we have to stop selling again, so Ill present a plan next week about what I would do, if I was supposed to be doing something.

Your boss, after the presentation: “Thank you Badudak, now we know exactly what not to do so we can continue to not sell. This is top-notch work as always, never change.”

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Slack review of Barudak: "He's in sales, he never sells anything. 5 stars."

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Met our quota of not selling for x months in a row

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Once one has a baseline of 0u sold in a period, how does one metric improvements? What is the growth % in Sales Not Booked year over year? We must measure and document the amount of emptiness and void now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

Do they look at number of sales/cash coming in? Or do they look at overall profitability? Coz if you're selling too much product you could always buy it back from another vendor.

Course that could result in your office overflowing with latex sex arses or whatever you're manufacturing.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

wash bucket posted:

Hmm, seems like everyone getting 20+ scam phone calls every day for the last decade has undermined a vital piece of infrastructure.

The thing is, I honestly don't know if we can go back? Even if the scam calls disappeared, we've now adjusted as a society to the idea that people might not always be available by phone. There was definitely a solid century where the expectation was if a phone rings, you run to pick it up.

Nowadays, you can't even call most businesses - no one is expecting an average joe to drop what they're doing to pick up a phone call just to chat. No one is offended if you don't pick up (or accuses anyone of 'screening their calls'). It's kinda nice that texts and emails have become default because it gives the responder time to respond when is convenient for them. Plus there's just too many places to reach people nowadays, its inevitable folks will concentrate on the few they can manage.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 18, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Shame people have taken this to mean you don't need a custom ring tone.

Who doesn't want a box in your pocket that plays a song whenever someone dies or wants to sell you an extended warranty on your car?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anonymous to you, me, and the other people in the trenches? Sure.

Anonymous to the supervisors and anyone in charge? LMAO.

poo poo, even beyond being cynical truly anonymous peer reviews of fellow employees would be a legal nightmare.

Lol, nah

They made a Slack channel for people to post them in. Everyone can see who wrote each review.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Machai posted:

They made a Slack channel for people to post them in. Everyone can see who wrote each review.

"Please only post your annual peer reviews to #thunderdome."

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

We were doing a meeting to explain what we were doing to our boss bc he doesn't read the emails we send every week explaining what we were doing and he just..... Walked out halfway through.

At least he didn't fall asleep and snore like in the last three in person interviews we've had, so it's a step in the right direction

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Machai posted:

Lol, nah

lol this is some Dr. Evil poo poo. Both in terms of intent and execution.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
id say that as a good precedent to walk out of his meeting. what the hell is wrong with people.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I always operate under the assumption that they are never, ever anonymous. My old manager would see the answers HR would send her from these "anonymous" reviews and she know who it was by the way the person wrote stuff, and she'd hold a grudge.

The whole slack reviews thing is vile.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Spaced God posted:

We were doing a meeting to explain what we were doing to our boss bc he doesn't read the emails we send every week explaining what we were doing and he just..... Walked out halfway through.

At least he didn't fall asleep and snore like in the last three in person interviews we've had, so it's a step in the right direction

:psyboom: Who the gently caress does that?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

RocketMermaid posted:

:psyboom: Who the gently caress does that?

you're jealous

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mllaneza posted:

We now have:

1. Label printers in Manufacturing and Research. My team supports these. We get a couple of tickets a month.

2. Big multifunction printers supported by Ricoh.

At one of the smaller companies I worked for we had just the one big MFD and a plotter. When I started the MFD would stop printing to ask about A4 -> Letter conversion every day. When time came to replace it I had to turf out one of the salespeople bidding on the new contract. The dumb bastard was pitching one that didn't have an automatic setting for that, and I was super clear in the RFP that that was a mandatory feature. He didn't even get all of his print samples out of his briefcase before the meeting was over.

I will say that the label printers I manage are fairly innocent compared to a big MFD (or the Server 2008 or somesuch print server it's connected through). Sure, they forget their label widths now and then, and the 10 year old one sometimes needs a restart to get back on the network. But I still kind of like the dumb little things.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Your manager is a cat. Sorry you had to find out this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Since we're talking about printers any idea why a printer would interfere with an ABI3500 on a network? If this printer is printing anything the instrument locks up and fails the task it was doing?