Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Eureka are some of the most overly designed zones in the game to the point that specific enemy placement feels like I can hear the exact discussion between devs of "Yeah no put that there it'll be funny but just 1 and put the others to the side otherwise it'll be too stupid and punishing. We want them to accidentally grab one extra guy not the whole spawn camp of them" and that extends to almost every single decision they made in the areas.

Even with the stupid dogshit design choices I never questioned the Why of them, just whether or not they were good decisions to be making in the first place.

I prefer that over the "here is a perfect ring of enemies because we need room for a CE to spawn in the center" that Zadnor has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Note Block posted:

That's worse to me, thanks.

he reached enlightenment through violence and transcended the cycle of suffering, i'm happy for him

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I like the way some of the Eureka zones use vertical space by making you drop down onto ledges, and the sleepy dragons you have to walk past

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This is the only fitting response as far as I'm concerned. I think dishonest is a good description of the other two, like you said. Like the dude just saved your life, and basically that of the entire universe, with no conditions or expectations. Give him a few minutes of your time.
That was the most dishonest response for me, so I'm glad I had an option to refuse it, and continue to refuse it in follow-up patches.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i can see why people preferred the eureka zones, but i enjoyed my moment-to-moment gameplay in bozja a lot more. a sleeping dragon in a chokepoint is interesting the first two or three times it happens, but when your maps look like they were designed by a spider on lcd and every single thread has a sleeping dragon it feels more like a deliberate time-waster. i can only assume that was also the consensus at the time considering the final zone was a nearly flat, open rectangle with no notable sound mobs.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hogama posted:

That was the most dishonest response for me, so I'm glad I had an option to refuse it, and continue to refuse it in follow-up patches.

Same.

I hate Zenos, my WoL hates Zenos. In the moment I was upset I couldn’t walk away as the ultimate gently caress you you don’t understand me and my motives, but ultimately I decided nah, she wants his stalker rear end dead.

It’s great if you like Zenos and like option A but I really hate people here who go “lol that’s the only canon option”.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
regarding Endwalker and Zenos: We already kicked his rear end once and the end of Stormblood, and he died, not "fallen off a cliff" or "vanished mysteriously" he was dead and literally buried. That rear end in a top hat still came back. I believe that kicking his rear end in Ultima Thule, the weird metaphysical nexus, was literally the only place we could kill him and have him stay dead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoyed Bozja more because I much rather would have a somewhat engaging boss fight over 2000 people spamming attacks on an enemy and occasionally getting nuked.

BA was a lot more fun than its Bozja counterpart though

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

designed by a spider on lcd

I hate when they get in there

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoyed Bozja more because I much rather would have a somewhat engaging boss fight over 2000 people spamming attacks on an enemy and occasionally getting nuked.

Yeah. The critical engagements actually have some fun bosses hidden away in there, and even some of the regular fate encounters are pretty decent. I stalled out after the ice place in Eureka because the fights themselves just weren't interesting.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kheldarn posted:

I've got some stuff I can add to the list, if you like. I can PM you with the info, or post it here...
:justpost:

or pm me or whatever it's all fine

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Re: Zenos, I feel like both "we're not so different, you and I / hell yeah let's fight" and "we are completely different, I hate you, but let's get this poo poo over with" are completely reasonable 'canonical' choices for the WoL as presented by the game, because it's pretty clear to the WoL that Zenos isn't actually going to peacefully gently caress off if they don't fight him, even if he thinks he's telling the truth there.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

a cartoon duck posted:

he reached enlightenment through violence and transcended the cycle of suffering, i'm happy for him

Yes, agreed, but that has nothing to do with what you quoted though.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

I like the way some of the Eureka zones use vertical space by making you drop down onto ledges, and the sleepy dragons you have to walk past

One of the devs most assuredly wanted to trigger memories of the sheer terror felt when falling off from the upper-area ledges of Batalia Downs in FFXI. (And I like it.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hogama posted:

Yeah. I've said before, but that response basically only rings true if you actually are there for the challenge.

If you're someone who doesn't care about Extremes and Savages, who's primarily motivated by story or glamor? That choice doesn't even ring true to the player, let alone the character.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the coolest drop was the one in uleguerand range where you would slide off a big slope and hope you picked the right drop-off point to land on one of the cave openings on the way down

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vitamean posted:

the coolest drop was the one in uleguerand range where you would slide off a big slope and hope you picked the right drop-off point to land on one of the cave openings on the way down

You. I like you.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah. I've said before, but that response basically only rings true if you actually are there for the challenge.

If you're someone who doesn't care about Extremes and Savages, who's primarily motivated by story or glamor? That choice doesn't even ring true to the player, let alone the character.

Totally disagree. Challenges come in different shapes and sizes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
e: rewatching the cutscene it's less clearcut than i thought, nevemrind

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The WoL, with as little characterization as given, likes two things: Adventure and fighting.

Joining the adventurer's guild is the first thing that happens in game. The last dialogue choice we had in 6.55 was asking if we wanted a new adventure, with 2 choices - both an enthusiastic yes. The rest of the game isn't an exception.

The WoL fights a bunch of people when it's not necessary, or important, or life saving - just for the thrill. Raubahn and the grand companies, Lyse, Venat all just fight for the sake of it. He's even got a big grin for most of the duel in the Dawntrail trailer.

Like him or not, Zenos had a pretty accurate read on what little the WoL has defined about them. He's not some meta commentator on raiders.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vitamean posted:

parradamo tor only whetted my appetite for that heinous poo poo

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I know if you dropped me at the base of parradamo tor right this instant I would make it up in one shot

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Whoops. I don't wanna say A is the only canon choice. It was the only canon choice for me. The other two seemed dishonest for myself.

Cleretic posted:

I haven't done any of them but I still thought it applied. :shobon: Not in the definition of a challenge but an experience.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vitamean posted:

I know if you dropped me at the base of parradamo tor right this instant I would make it up in one shot

:hai: same

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Cleretic posted:

You played like hundreds of hours of a video game before that point lol the line in question is about video games

e: and I mean you can be like "I didn't like the video game and its boss fights" but you had to play five video games and all their boss fights to get to that point it's pretty non-negotiable (pretend skips don't exist)

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 18, 2024

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Note Block posted:

okay i'm genuinely confused now. is this less about what happens to his soul and more about whether bodies can decompose at the edge of reality?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

I prefer that over the "here is a perfect ring of enemies because we need room for a CE to spawn in the center" that Zadnor has.

I mean that's fine except one's way easier to actually play and enjoy because it's not filled with stupid gotcha's to kill you once that you then ignore by standing in the 1 safe spot for grinding out those mobs that Eureka very very quickly becomes. You get got 1 once or twice a zone and then you realize there's very clear safety spots they designed for you to stand in and mindlessly grind away at poo poo and the whole loving map just becomes farming jungle in the least interesting MOBA you've ever seen without even the threat of substantial gameplay happening. Bojza's CE at least have a mechanic you might have to think about doing compared to the hunts in Eureka.

Note Block posted:

Again, the bird lady explicitly says she's sending all the souls and aether back where she found them right before the fight so you can let go of the argument it's been textually solved so that your worry doesn't exist.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 18, 2024

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:justpost:

or pm me or whatever it's all fine

Alright, Crime Postin' Time!

Adventurer In Need: This will send you a notification any time a Duty Roulette needs a member to fill a Role. Leveling your Monk, but DR is currently looking for Tanks and Healers? Set it to ping you when a DPS is needed, and go do other stuff while you wait!

Aether Compass [Preview]: Mainly for showing you where Aether Currents are located and how far away you are from them, it can also do the same for Elite Marks, Gathering Points, and even that pesky thing you need to click on for a quest, but just can't find despite being in the red circle on your map! Comes from a custom repo: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/yomishino/MyDalamudPlugins/main/plugins.json

Allagan Tools: One of my most favorites, after Yes Already and Simple Tweaks. See where any item you have access to is located. Yourself, your armory, saddlebags, retainers, FC storage, you can see it all. There's a search bar to find that specific item in your inventory, and if you can't see it in the mess of items that all have almost the exact same icon, there's a Highlight checkbox that will dim everything that doesn't match your search. It can also give you info on any item in the game, let you try it on in the little preview window, tell you where to get it, and even open a wiki page or Garland Tools page for the item.

Hunt Buddy: Puts a little window on your screen showing what marks from your Daily Hunts are in the zone you're in, and also how many you need to kill/have killed. It also has a button you can click to show you where on the map the mob is, and one to teleport you to the nearest Aetheryte.

Orchestrion Plugin: Never wonder what song is playing ever again! It'll add the name of the song to the part of the UI that has your Server Name and Clock. You can listen to any song in the game, and even use it to replace songs, or silence songs in certain areas (like Immortal Flames or Maelstrom HQ).

Teleporter: Set up chat /slash commands for easy teleporting. It supports setting an alias, so for example, I use /tp Home to go to Ul'dah - Steps Of Nald, /tp Old to go to Old Sharlayan, and /tp Pixie to go to Lydha Lran.

Title Edit: If you're really artistic, you can make your own title screen for the game. Or, if you're nostalgic, you can use the title screen from any expansion. Personally, I have it set to use the OG ARR Title Screen when I launch the game.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

okay i'm genuinely confused now. is this less about what happens to his soul and more about whether bodies can decompose at the edge of reality?

idk if this is the original point being made and am not trying to speak for note block, but I've seen the same take elsewhere and for some people it just boils down to that they just don't like disrespecting human remains and it feels like that. it's a pretty normal stance to have.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kheldarn posted:

Alright, Crime Postin' Time!

Orchestrion Plugin: Never wonder what song is playing ever again! It'll add the name of the song to the part of the UI that has your Server Name and Clock. You can listen to any song in the game, and even use it to replace songs, or silence songs in certain areas (like Immortal Flames or Maelstrom HQ).

I swapped maelstrom hq to limsa night theme and it quelled my growing urge to switch to switch grand companies to escape the stupid horn intro.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The WoL, with as little characterization as given, likes two things: Adventure and fighting.

Joining the adventurer's guild is the first thing that happens in game. The last dialogue choice we had in 6.55 was asking if we wanted a new adventure, with 2 choices - both an enthusiastic yes. The rest of the game isn't an exception.

The WoL fights a bunch of people when it's not necessary, or important, or life saving - just for the thrill. Raubahn and the grand companies, Lyse, Venat all just fight for the sake of it. He's even got a big grin for most of the duel in the Dawntrail trailer.

Like him or not, Zenos had a pretty accurate read on what little the WoL has defined about them. He's not some meta commentator on raiders.

Ok great.

My WoL fought in the grand company melee because Aymeric asked her to. She fought Lyse because she asked her to. She fought Venat because she asked her to.

This is not hard characterization?

My WoL doesn’t even dislike fighting! She likes adventuring and seeing new things and helping people. But she’s not a beast who wants to fight for the adrenaline of it. This is not be going “oh she’s a pacifist” or whatever you all think everyone with this view thinks because you think we’re all like Cleretic. It’s a fundamental misread of her as a person that is not incongruous with the canonical dialog choices.

What Meteor does during trailers also isn’t relevant to my WoL because. She’s not Meteor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Whether it's character motivation or mods "knowing that what I like is specific to me and not trying to demand it's universal" is a really easy bar that people still fail to clear.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah p much. Just kind of have to accept that the cold reads the devs have on the WoL's characterization won't completely line up perfectly with everybody's own.

Also the snide insinuations about raiders feels like came from old attitudes imported from WoW, it definitely doesn't ring true here. This game simply does not have the content mill capable of sustaining a large population of raid-only players so very few people actually stick around if they don't care about the story to some degree.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I really like Zenos, and do not take him as meta commentary on story skipping, extreme content, or what have you. The WoL is also, even without dipping into side-content, a great lover of seeing the sights, learning about and participating in cultures, listening to people's personal problems, and seeing others take initiative without necessarily stepping in on their behalf. There's also a personal sense of duty, since, no matter which choice you take in 6.55, or how strongly you feel about adventure for its own sake, you can't avoid recalling the scene from Ultima Thule giving you a list of things to explore.

There was over a decade of decision-making that went before that 6.0 choice, and that option would have been a denial of all those prior steps. It just was not the right read for the story I'd participated in. I'm glad they included it for yours, and others who do think it was the proper response for their story.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I will say, my main WoL is definitely the sort of person who would've denied Zenos at the end, then had some time to really think about it after he was gone, then time leapt back to do it again but acknowledge him properly as a peer to give the both of them closure.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I mean clearly I think it's inarguable that the answer is pretty on point for the WoL as presented in the game. This is not the same thing as peoples headcanon'd own WoL's motivations and stuff which don't have to match up with how the games story actually functions though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The answer is all 3 options are equally valid for the characterisation of the WoL, because that's the point. Maybe they're not equally valid for your experience of the story, but all of them are intended to be possible reactions of the "canonical" warrior of light characterisation.

None of them are objectively more correct, they're about which parts of the standard pre-written WoL characterisation matter most to you.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think the other options are entirely on point for the WoL as presented in the game. I think they don't give options that aren't.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I don’t think “actually I think the two other dev provided options are also valid and in character” is denying the WoL’s canon traits.

There are three answers. They were all provided by the writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hogama posted:

There's also a personal sense of duty, since, no matter which choice you take in 6.55, or how strongly you feel about adventure for its own sake, you can't avoid recalling the scene from Ultima Thule giving you a list of things to explore.

This bit and similar callbacks are the ones that personally irritate me, because I feel like my WoL would be like "damnatio memoriae, motherfucker" about Emet-Selch and wouldn't think of him at all fondly even after Elpis, but that's a personal preference and obvs they're not writing the game just to please me