Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The first time I played I was very careful not to use any fire spells in the fireworks factory. The second time I was very careful to blow it all up turn 1 after drinking a potion of fire resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If I did that I wouldn't be able to yeet barrels full of kobold at people

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Runa posted:

If I did that I wouldn't be able to yeet barrels full of kobold at people

That reminds me of a question I have (Act 1)

In the crèche that has the winery full of kobold looters, you can pick up the barrels fulla kobold into your inventory - it's still marked as "firewine barrel", but if you place it again and break it they still have kobold inside.

My question is what happens if you leave that area with it in your inventory, or send it to camp and pull it out later. Will it still have kobold in it? The one I picked up was by accident and I had no more left to test with

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sloober posted:

You can also just pickpocket his reward fwiw if you just doing the hide and seek part

Stealing from children?

This dude enjoyed eating the cat stew.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

That reminds me of a question I have (Act 1)

In the crèche that has the winery full of kobold looters, you can pick up the barrels fulla kobold into your inventory - it's still marked as "firewine barrel", but if you place it again and break it they still have kobold inside.

My question is what happens if you leave that area with it in your inventory, or send it to camp and pull it out later. Will it still have kobold in it? The one I picked up was by accident and I had no more left to test with

I threw one at Ketheric. They remain in the barrel and aggro everyone when they appear.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

Stealing from children?

that child is actually a 100+ year old corrupted spirit of the land sir

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blimpkin posted:

I threw one at Ketheric. They remain in the barrel and aggro everyone when they appear.

Well now I know what I'm doing with the fireworks factory on my next run

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If I had more than three Karlach could make a hobby out of it

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

bird with big dick posted:

Stealing from children?

KEBAB :argh: that was the giveaway! I was promised stew you liar!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I'm aware there isn't a huge difference but my MC is currently level 4 warlock/level 6 bard. Is it worth dropping to 2/10 instead? Having a quick look at the bard spells and level 10 seems pretty loving good vs much more a warlock has going on

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
There isn’t much that more than 2 warlock gets you if you’re taking a small dip like that, I’d revise personally

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'd wondered if 5 warock/6 bard + something else for 3 attacks might be worth it but i have a feeling i'll still just be eldritch blasting everything anyway

As a Drow MC I just got the silver sword. If i make it my pact weapon do I gain the githyanki only buff?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question: why is a lute worth 14 gold but a broken lute worth 25?

Maybe that's a reference to people selling broken instruments for more than the original cost?

ex1:

Paul Stanley from Kiss would sell a guitar he used once and smashed at every stop on Kiss tours for anywhere from $3000-$6000. You can buy a Paul Stanley guitar new that he didn't play (or smash) for about $600.

ex2:

When Prince appeared on the Jimmy Fallon show, he borrowed a guitar from a member of The Roots. At the end of his performance, Prince smashed the guitar he had borrowed. When he gave it back to the guy from The Roots, Prince said "it's worth more now anyways".

The game may actually be referencing that, I'm not sure.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

I'd wondered if 5 warock/6 bard + something else for 3 attacks might be worth it but i have a feeling i'll still just be eldritch blasting everything anyway

As a Drow MC I just got the silver sword. If i make it my pact weapon do I gain the githyanki only buff?

Disguise Self seems to overwrite your background in addition to your appearance, my Drow MC was talking about growing up hearing tales of Orpheus in the crèche so that might be a way to activate it if not

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

You don't get the Githyanki-only buff if you Pact it, no. Weapons will tell you if they give you a special bonus if you Pact them, there's only a few and most of them except the rapier you get for (End of Act 2) freeing Mizora from the Mind Flayer Colony are pretty bad if memory serves.

That said, Swords Bard 7/Blade Warlock 5 is pretty popular if you want to do more of a swashbuckler type. I personally would not drop to Warlock 2 - though you might need to double check what spells you have. It might be that you feel Warlock doesn't offer much because you might not have spells that compliment what you're already doing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is doing bard performances just adding bonus content to the game or is there a reason to do them when you see another bard

Monathin posted:

You don't get the Githyanki-only buff if you Pact it, no. Weapons will tell you if they give you a special bonus if you Pact them, there's only a few and most of them except the rapier you get for (End of Act 2) freeing Mizora from the Mind Flayer Colony are pretty bad if memory serves.

That said, Swords Bard 7/Blade Warlock 5 is pretty popular if you want to do more of a swashbuckler type. I personally would not drop to Warlock 2 - though you might need to double check what spells you have. It might be that you feel Warlock doesn't offer much because you might not have spells that compliment what you're already doing.

I mostly misty step/invis into a good position before combat so i can drop darkness on myself then eldritch blast from it

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Jay Rust posted:

FWIW if you hit G it unlinks your group so they'll stay where they are until you hit G again

Oh goddamnit.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jose posted:

is doing bard performances just adding bonus content to the game or is there a reason to do them when you see another bard

I mostly misty step/invis into a good position before combat so i can drop darkness on myself then eldritch blast from it

theres an achievement for earning 100 gold for performances and it annoys the bards in the circus

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Monathin posted:

The pact hammer is pretty good. The Mizora rapier is not required to pact either. I put it on my sorcerer so I had a rapier and staff for baller points and I get the bonuses save and summon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JBP posted:

The pact hammer is pretty good. The Mizora rapier is not required to pact either. I put it on my sorcerer so I had a rapier and staff for baller points and I get the bonuses save and summon.

I've been using the hammer for ages now though I don't melee with it too often.

This is a criticism I had of Solesta which is D&D based which is that you very rarely upgrade equipment. Like I think I have a regular heavy bow on someone Ive had since the start of the game as I've not seen anything better drop or be available for sale that wouldn't be an improvement for my ranger instead. It makes gold feel pretty worthless when essentially all I ever buy is stuff for long resting and various kinds of special arrows

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
In tabletop 5e you rarely change your gear and gold is mostly a high score so it sounds like Solasta plays it closer to the ttrpg. I kind of get it, gear management and shopping trips are a slog in tabletop but something much more palatable in a video game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I actually find it a bit weird how much gear there is in the game and how early you're buying +1 stuff. I get that it's videogames and people like gear, but there is a huge amount of stuff in BG3.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I get this is based on D&D5e but it feels like they've realised the mistakes on original DOS2 release with how fast stuff upgrades and gone the other way. I keep getting purple/orange items that just have poo poo bonuses so I don't bother using them over something I've had since near the start because it is actually useful to my setup and it feels like this is a very common occurrence

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

D&D5e swung too hard in the direction of simplifying things away from how heavily videogamey 3.X was so now there's very little gear progression in tabletop and almost no use for gold, even compared to old AD&D.

BG3 tries to correct from that a little bit even if the bounded accuracy design principle means you get flooded with +1 generics and weird conditionals or short-rest cooldowns.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I mean the only thing I'd change in BG3 is maybe randomize the loot so that people can't make builds around acquiring a certain item at a certain point. Like, have the Helldusk Armor drop but make it one of three different versions, and have vendors randomize what magic items they have in different runs.

D&D is about power fantasy, I want my fighter to have a magic sword that does the cool thing. Then I want to get a bigger magic sword.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

all i really want out of the items is more interesting synergies to open up unique build opportunities, which is something they already sort of tried to do in act 1 with the various unique effects like lightning charges, but likely had to ditch due to time constraints

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Runa posted:

D&D5e swung too hard in the direction of simplifying things away from how heavily videogamey 3.X was so now there's very little gear progression in tabletop and almost no use for gold, even compared to old AD&D.

BG3 tries to correct from that a little bit even if the bounded accuracy design principle means you get flooded with +1 generics and weird conditionals or short-rest cooldowns.

I mean in tabletop you can sell players a base of operations, horses, whatever else that makes their rp feel cool. Gold isn't that crucial for buying items and stuff but you can definitely make getting money a worthwhile endeavour for the more mercantile minded player.

A barbarian still gonna run around tombs in a loincloth with a mallet tho.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

God the items in d:os2 were so boring, mmo-rear end numbers going up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The gear progression in BG3 is really well-thought out and exciting IMHO, and probably the single biggest improvement over DOS2 besides the voice acting which came as a surprise. Items are meaningful, almost always have some kind of synergy with a class build, and can ramp up quite early if you know where to look. It's a lot more reminiscent of Elden Ring in that regard, where you can do the setup for your build in Act 1 and experience the pleasure of it "all coming together" in the midgame, with a few key upgrades later on.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

God the items in d:os2 were so boring, mmo-rear end numbers going up.

On release it was worse because you had to pickpocket literally everyone to keep up with the hosed up scaling they managed. There were so many different and useful techniques though and the crafting system was way better that I didn't mind the fact weapon upgrades were usually just damage.

Just stupid crafting poo poo like merging your shoes with nails so you no longer slip on greasy or icy surfaces. Why can't I enchant my stuff in BG3, why can't I craft custom arrows. I barely use the alchemy system because the stuff I have recipes for I either never have materials for or are just total garbage

I'm loving the game I just wish it had a lot of the creativity DOS2 had at times that it being D&D based seems to have forced out

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JBP posted:

I mean in tabletop you can sell players a base of operations, horses, whatever else that makes their rp feel cool. Gold isn't that crucial for buying items and stuff but you can definitely make getting money a worthwhile endeavour for the more mercantile minded player.

A barbarian still gonna run around tombs in a loincloth with a mallet tho.

Yeah that's true. It's just kind of funny that gold is kind of vestigial in pure game mechanics terms. It's reached sort of a weird halfway point between 3.x's magic item shopping list crunch and the sort of wealth abstraction you see in more modern games.

(It's kind of buckwild to know that abstracted wealth exists as an option for campaigns in Battletech, the game that has basically cornered the niche of mercenary company financial management sim.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they got really lazy with names in act 3 eh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's the Hideo Kojima tribute character.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Light Armor needs some work :colbert:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jose posted:

they got really lazy with names in act 3 eh

*runs out of Moes tavern crying*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

*runs out of Moes tavern crying*

lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

as a spanish speaker, i can confirm that "vegetarian" means "full meat only"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yes that is why vegeta is named that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If you're going more than 2 Warlock you should really go all the way to 5 for Hunger of Hadar and Counterspell