Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I always assumed hunt showdown was a realistic depiction of louisiana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

credburn posted:

I like the swamp area from Dungeon Siege. It was swampy but didn't make you move slow.

Champions of Norrath was a really great PS2 Diablo-like set in the Everquest world. It had a level that took place underwater. loving hell, obnoxious as poo poo, it was just like being in a level on land but everything you did was at half speed :negative:

The water gate in Mega Man Legends 2 has stopped me from ever fully replaying the game. It’s a huge, fascinating area with some cool boss fights, but the frame rate drops to almost nothing and you move like you weigh eight hundred pounds. You can get a jet skate upgrade to let you jet skate underwater, but the parts required are in the underwater area itself so it necessitates another trip, and even then you move way slower than jet skating on land. I think maaaaaaybe the slow speed is to hide some dynamic loading (there’s a room in the underwater area that’s bigger than anything else in the game) but god it just sucks out loud to play through.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Owl Inspector posted:

I always assumed hunt showdown was a realistic depiction of louisiana

There are 30% more boat fires to add a cinematic flare

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A lot of videogame environments are straight out of fairy tales or pulp adventure stories. If you see sand just assume it's quicksand. Body of water? Whirlpools. And all rivers spontaneously become waterfalls if you face away from downstream for more than a few minutes. Forests: haunted. All bogs are swamps, all marshes are swamps, and all swamps are death. Caves aren't cubbyholes for the occasional bear, they're mazes of skeletons and impossibly large spiders. Sewers are transformed from crawlspaces for poo poo-pipes into vast labyrinthine counter-cities apparently designed by some maniacal time-displaced Roman waterworks engineer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dark Souls 3 bucks the trend by having a pretty and comparatively non-threatening marsh/swamp type area.

...Immediately followed by the actual poison swamp. :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lobok posted:

A lot of videogame environments are straight out of fairy tales or pulp adventure stories. If you see sand just assume it's quicksand. Body of water? Whirlpools. And all rivers spontaneously become waterfalls if you face away from downstream for more than a few minutes. Forests: haunted. All bogs are swamps, all marshes are swamps, and all swamps are death. Caves aren't cubbyholes for the occasional bear, they're mazes of skeletons and impossibly large spiders. Sewers are transformed from crawlspaces for poo poo-pipes into vast labyrinthine counter-cities apparently designed by some maniacal time-displaced Roman waterworks engineer.

I haven't seen a single secret behind a waterfall in real life

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Philippe posted:

i found ramses' mummy behind a waterfall. i'm not making this up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Philippe posted:

"Y'know when they show someone on TV washing their hair under a waterfall? That's bullshit, man, cuz that thing would knock you on your rear end!"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Arivia posted:

i found ramses' mummy behind a waterfall. i'm not making this up.

how did it taste?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anytime remnant 2 has a patch it somehow requires system-intensive updates to 72 GB of files on disk, no matter how big the download is or what the patch actually contains. so it's currently chugging through 72 GB of disk activity for an update with these patch notes:

quote:

Minor update. Updates build number to match across other platforms.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Owl Inspector posted:

Anytime remnant 2 has a patch it somehow requires system-intensive updates to 72 GB of files on disk, no matter how big the download is or what the patch actually contains. so it's currently chugging through 72 GB of disk activity for an update with these patch notes:

The build number is 72 billion digits long

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Meowywitch posted:

"Y'know when they show someone on TV washing their hair under a waterfall? That's bullshit, man, cuz that thing would knock you on your rear end!"

I've done this while hiking! But yeah you go to the very edge of the waterfall and it still a hell of a lot of pressure. Gets you clean though.

Also in point and click games, there's always a snake just chilling in the foreground in a the trees foliage if your in a jungle. And yeah sure often poo poo loads of snakes in the jungle but they are usually super hard to see! Also the jungle paths are always way, way bigger, far easier to see, and far less wet than typical jungle paths. If no ones been down the jungle path to the secret temple in hundreds of years, it's not going to be a path any more!! Hell if no ones been down in like six months it's probably not going to be a path anymore.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Meowywitch posted:

What if it is a tiny waterfall

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dr_rat posted:

I've done this while hiking! But yeah you go to the very edge of the waterfall and it still a hell of a lot of pressure. Gets you clean though.

Also in point and click games, there's always a snake just chilling in the foreground in a the trees foliage if your in a jungle. And yeah sure often poo poo loads of snakes in the jungle but they are usually super hard to see!

there are a lot of other snakes in those scenes too, you just don't see them

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tunicate posted:

If it was a 90's adventure point and click game, of course. There's just dozens and dozens things that can kill you in place you can't see in a 90's adventure point and click game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kazil posted:

how did it taste?

I don’t know, it was behind glass: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/egypt-reclaims-pharaoh-of-niagara-falls/article4137633/

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I can't stand when games have in-world ads for DLC you haven't bought. The first time I remember it happening was Dragon Age 1. They put a guy at the camp you always return to who asks you to save his family mansion from ghosts or some poo poo and it pops up a store window over the game mid-conversation if you don't have it. People always bring up horse armor as the watershed moment of games getting lovely with microtransactions but for me it's the Dragon Age manor guy. His DLC ended up sucking too. Really cookie cutter. Not as cool as the one that added the rock guy party member.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wasn't it a rock lady?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Iirc The rock lady was free if you bought the game new, instead of used. Otherwise, there is no evidence of her.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sebmojo posted:

Wasn't it a rock lady?

Yeah though from memory it's ambiguous / unknown for a long time until she finds out about her pre-rock life.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I wonder if she ever completed her life's work of exterminating the pigeon population...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Saints Row 22 did this with that stupid Murder Island DLC. Every new item on the phone menu has a little ! on it that won't go away until you go into the submenu and look at every new notification. And the menu to launch the DLC missions had a permanent ! on it that I couldn't even look at because I didn't own the DLC.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Remnant 2, if the host has DLC but you don't, you can still go to the new worlds and get DLC items, but they'll all be marked by "DLC" over them and unusable. Which can be a little obnoxious, but a) it lets you still see the content even if you don't own it, and b) if you end up getting the DLC, you gain access to all the items you've collected instantly, which was nice.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Man I'm all for Yoko Taro jank but jfc NieR:Automata is a loving nightmare to navigate. I'm late to playing this one, I don't remember reading about other people finding it so hard to get around. Is it just me? I've unlocked fast travel now, but gently caress, the map is almost useless, the quest markers are not helpful, I have a destination for my main quest but no actual path to get there, and wowee the locked camera gimmick sure doesn't help

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I remember quest markers being completely useless for side quests and it was very annoying

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tunicate posted:

Or it's just chilling on the ONE path to take up to the mountains. A POISONOUS snake. And the only way to defeat it is by shaking a tambourine.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DoubleNegative posted:

Saints Row 22 did this with that stupid Murder Island DLC. Every new item on the phone menu has a little ! on it that won't go away until you go into the submenu and look at every new notification. And the menu to launch the DLC missions had a permanent ! on it that I couldn't even look at because I didn't own the DLC.

Christ I'm glad I avoided that game, it could have been better than BG3 and I would still throw my computer out the window if I couldn't get rid of a notif like that

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

DrBouvenstein posted:

Or it's just chilling on the ONE path to take up to the mountains. A POISONOUS snake. And the only way to defeat it is by shaking a tambourine.

I'm used to this kinda thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Randallteal posted:

I can't stand when games have in-world ads for DLC you haven't bought. The first time I remember it happening was Dragon Age 1. They put a guy at the camp you always return to who asks you to save his family mansion from ghosts or some poo poo and it pops up a store window over the game mid-conversation if you don't have it. People always bring up horse armor as the watershed moment of games getting lovely with microtransactions but for me it's the Dragon Age manor guy. His DLC ended up sucking too. Really cookie cutter. Not as cool as the one that added the rock guy party member.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is also really bad about this. Once you get through the tutorial and get access to the overworld one of the first places you see is just full of DLC hooks.

Also for all the ways they changed stuff from Borderlands it is kind of dumb how they basically barely touched the guns. Like 90% of them are just exactly the same as Borderlands.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That stupid popup DLC quest guy in Dragon Age Origins was the worst.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just remembered the PS5 Ratchet and Clank game has a thing on the main menu harping on you getting the Deluxe version.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whats great are games that will show off the DLC in the corner of the title screen, even if you own it. Then they'll helpfully remind you that you own that DLC

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

muscles like this! posted:

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is also really bad about this. Once you get through the tutorial and get access to the overworld one of the first places you see is just full of DLC hooks.

Also for all the ways they changed stuff from Borderlands it is kind of dumb how they basically barely touched the guns. Like 90% of them are just exactly the same as Borderlands.

Yeah I started Tiny Tina's Wonderlands and it gave me a neat weird fantasy gun and I was like cool and then I killed some enemies and... the rest just seem to be more Borderlands guns

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been having fun playing Resident Evil Revelations 2, it has a reasonable implementation of an AI partner if you're doing single player rather than co-op. But it's bugging me that the partner character never seems to give you items. I went into survival horror mode after running out of machine gun ammo and getting low on the pistol, but then I remembered the partner was hoarding a pile of it that I gave them the other day when I was out of space.

Seems like a weird step back, I think RE5 started their co-op design years earlier, and I remember the partner character constantly giving me ammo for guns I had but they didn't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God of War Ragnarok keeps breaking up the pacing by giving me things. Two characters will be having a conversation, and then just randomly there is a dead end path that has a chest that makes them stop talking? Why did you put that there, right now?? I just played a section of the game that went on for three hours of these stop-and-start moments and it was a little maddening. Just give me all this crap at the end in one chest and let me enjoy the story wtf!!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Jan 21, 2024

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Sable has a ton of stuff going for it, the puzzles and environment just seem to flow into each other really well, like just where I find myself exploring tends to either be where I need to go or lead somewhere useful for the next one so I can say 'Ah ha! I know exactly where those beetles I need to catch for this NPC are.'

It runs like absolute rear end on the PS5 though. Shadows flicker and the frame rate routinely chugs down to 10ish so FPS when traveling or if you pan the camera to look at the beautiful scenery like you're supposed to.

I heard it got a patch for pc and xbox that largely fixed this after release, but a year+ later and it's still really bad on the sony console.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wrt DLC, one of my biggest pet peeves is a lack of good integration. Fire Emblem: Engage was one of my favorite games of 2023, but I never bought the DLC partly because it’s all one season pass of five waves. Which kinda sucks because part of that are weapons and items the game wouldn’t normally let you have yet that get shoved in your inventory, instead of there just being an option to grab your DLC stuff.

Also a pet peeve: Game of the Year/remasters/[insert rerelease here] versions of a game that have the DLC bundled in, but no clear marker of what’s the base game stuff and the new stuff that’s an optional bonus.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Wrt DLC, one of my biggest pet peeves is a lack of good integration. Fire Emblem: Engage was one of my favorite games of 2023, but I never bought the DLC partly because it’s all one season pass of five waves. Which kinda sucks because part of that are weapons and items the game wouldn’t normally let you have yet that get shoved in your inventory, instead of there just being an option to grab your DLC stuff.

Fallout: New Vegas syndrome. Nothing like stepping outside Doc Mitchell’s house to several popups to click through and a bajillion items materializing in your pockets.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bussamove posted:

Fallout: New Vegas syndrome. Nothing like stepping outside Doc Mitchell’s house to several popups to click through and a bajillion items materializing in your pockets.

The best game I've ever regretted preordering. "Ok, let me go and explore this t-oh, a shotgun, thanks. And ammo. And some armour, yep, ok, can I just..."

And then yeah, so much worse once you start owning DLCs and it's telling you about all the new radio signals you've picked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also the preorder shotgun doesn’t work with a bunch of perks for some reason, including shotgun surgeon. Which shotgun users really, really need, especially with the 20 ga ones like the DLC shotgun.