Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Man FF14 is such a pain in the dick account wise. I haven’t bought endwalker yet but saw it was on sale for $19 this week.

I figured I’d just spend the extra $10 and get the complete edition so I can have it on steam.

Well turns out you can’t have the regular PC version and steam version on the same account lol.

So dumb.

I got stung by this before by buying an expansion for the regular pc version while having started playing on the steam version, or vice versa. Can’t remember which way round I had it but it was Not The Same despite both being on PC so gently caress me I guess.

I ended up selling the key on SA Mart for a 5bux loss or something as dipshit tax for not reading up on it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

nitsuga posted:

There's a wuss mode that helps a lot. It's still spooky, but you don't have to avoid the creatures.

I do remember reading about that, maybe I'll give it a shot.

In other game playing news, I'm playing Pentiment on my OLED and it's really good. The art style really pops.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I do think the horror in SOMA serves a legitimate narrative purpose, so you are shortchanging yourself slightly by playing on safe mode. However the game is so good I definitely recommend playing it on safe mode vs not playing it at all.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Has anyone played Stranger of Sword City, on the Deck or otherwise?

I see there are 2 versions, one bundled with another game.

I remember hearing about SoSC when it first launched on the Vita (RIP), but I never played it and I'm curious how it is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If anyone's curious, Atari 50 works just fine on Steam Deck and is perfectly readable. It's a very nicely curated collection too and the historical bits and interviews are well done as well. I wish it was a little more comprehensive though, and licensed games are right out, but give it a shot next time it's on sale.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Yeah, the work-around for GW2 is to make it launch a different way because it checks if it's a Steam version or a Windows version at the launcher-level only. FF14 does it at the license level, making it annoying as poo poo.

I use the Steam version, and thankfully XIVlauncher works with it

Yeah the workaround for GW2 is super easy once you install it from Steam you just add a launch option and it lets you play with your PC version.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Talorat posted:

I do think the horror in SOMA serves a legitimate narrative purpose, so you are shortchanging yourself slightly by playing on safe mode. However the game is so good I definitely recommend playing it on safe mode vs not playing it at all.

never been a horror guy but always been a sci-fi philosophy guy, SOMA was the firet game I played where I kinda understood "wait, I can kinda like being freaked out?"

thOMA.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

History Comes Inside! posted:

I got stung by this before by buying an expansion for the regular pc version while having started playing on the steam version, or vice versa. Can’t remember which way round I had it but it was Not The Same despite both being on PC so gently caress me I guess.

I ended up selling the key on SA Mart for a 5bux loss or something as dipshit tax for not reading up on it first.

I love FF14, but the account system is genuinely dogshit. I'm kinda glad I got it on console and don't have to think about that poo poo (as long as I continue to play it on console I guess, I'm sure it's a nightmare to play PC+console too.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I play on console every so often but I only buy the expansions when they are super cheap because everything is a mess.

Palaworld comes out on the 19th and I am really hoping it runs well on the deck because it looks fun as hell and you can skin and eat your pokemans

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

King of Solomon posted:

I love FF14, but the account system is genuinely dogshit. I'm kinda glad I got it on console and don't have to think about that poo poo (as long as I continue to play it on console I guess, I'm sure it's a nightmare to play PC+console too.)

oh pc+console is very easy, you just buy it on console. or PC. whichever you don't have. no problem adding either to an existing account. it's just the steam/not-steam pc versions that are annoying like that, which is down to revenue attribution making the user experience worse

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I play on console every so often but I only buy the expansions when they are super cheap because everything is a mess.

Palaworld comes out on the 19th and I am really hoping it runs well on the deck because it looks fun as hell and you can skin and eat your pokemans

gamer telephone says that some community manager somewhere said that they were aiming to have it work on deck, but i can't help but notice that the store page recommends 32GB of RAM among other things

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Insanite posted:

gamer telephone says that some community manager somewhere said that they were aiming to have it work on deck, but i can't help but notice that the store page recommends 32GB of RAM among other things

If they are using the same engine as their other game crafttopia then it should work decent enough. Definitely looking forward to the 19th to check it out.

Can always refund if it’s hot rear end.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I’ve noticed since switching to an OLED Deck that my machine is “validating” games almost every time I close them. Doesn’t matter if it’s internal storage or not.

Anyone know why this might be happening? It can take a few minutes for larger titles.

MarcusSA posted:

If they are using the same engine as their other game crafttopia then it should work decent enough. Definitely looking forward to the 19th to check it out.

Can always refund if it’s hot rear end.

Same.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Insanite posted:

I’ve noticed since switching to an OLED Deck that my machine is “validating” games almost every time I close them. Doesn’t matter if it’s internal storage or not.

Anyone know why this might be happening? It can take a few minutes for larger titles.

Same.

I'm still using a non-oled deck and it has started doing this recently.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Does GW2 work well on the deck? I don't see how you can use all the abilities since there's only 8 buttons. Unless you need to use the buttons on the back of the deck, too.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

IAmTheRad posted:

Does GW2 work well on the deck? I don't see how you can use all the abilities since there's only 8 buttons. Unless you need to use the buttons on the back of the deck, too.

with action sets you can map dozens of abilities to the steam deck

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Some games I recently played on my Steam deck that I wasn't sure if they would play ok but worked just fine:
Elden Ring
Sekiro
Disco Elysium
Blood Bowl 3
Song of Horror
Tekken 7

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IAmTheRad posted:

It works really well but the text is small AF

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

It works really well but the text is small AF

its possible to bind the zoom function (default STEAM+L1) to a button. Not sure how great that is in an mmo but works great for some other games

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wife heard a New Zealander talking about them and now she always calls it Staym Dick.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Oh noar

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Heran Bago posted:

Wife heard a New Zealander talking about them and now she always calls it Staym Dick.

South Africans playing the Deek

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My new OLED froze last night after closing Hades. I don't remember the last time my OG 512 froze like that, if ever.

Also, Hades is really hard :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kaddish posted:

My new OLED froze last night after closing Hades. I don't remember the last time my OG 512 froze like that, if ever.

Makes it feel better when you get good. Trust the process.

Did a full play of Sekiro before remembering to set the panel to 60hz as that’s what the game locks it at. Night and day smooth.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Bremen posted:

I'm still using a non-oled deck and it has started doing this recently.

Might just be a recent update in that case. TY!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kaddish posted:

Don’t be afraid to use the baby mode or whatever they call it. It’s actually pretty great on how it’s implemented and eventually you plateau on needing it and can go back to not using it when you get good with the weapons and mechanics.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, turn on God Mode. It makes things a skosh easier without actually becoming Story Mode.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah if I remember doesn't all it do is give you 2% damage reduction every time you die with a cap? And you don't get a damage reduction if you win a run so it's kinda self balancing.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah if I remember doesn't all it do is give you 2% damage reduction every time you die with a cap? And you don't get a damage reduction if you win a run so it's kinda self balancing.

I think it starts at 20% but otherwise works as you describe (caps at 80%).

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone else’s shader pre-caching downloads seem super inflated / way more often lately? It seems like over the last couple weeks I regularly have games with a gig or more of shader updates and I get 10-15 updates a day now.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
No more live journal posts. Got my deck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

vent check

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

IAmTheRad posted:

My vent scent has faded out. Cherish these moments.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

IAmTheRad posted:

No more live journal posts.

thank gently caress

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IAmTheRad posted:

For some reason I doubt we've seen the last.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

IAmTheRad posted:

You likin’ it?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
It is supposed to arrive tomorrow!

Anyone here tried playing Mount and Blade or a Crusader Kings title on this thing?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sniffing my vent right now

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
CK3 is "fine" on the SD. People will say you need the UI scaling mod, but text is perfectly legible with the regular built-in scaling. I also use a 4k 15" laptop with no scaling, though, so I'm a weirdo and ymmv if you're really sensitive to small text. Controls are fine with the trackpads and you can actually make them more than fine if you're willing to set up radial menus on the trackpads. As with everything else on the SD, actually taking the time to learn to use the trackpads is so, so, so good.

That said, the problem you're going to run into with Paradox games is the actual, physical size of the screen. It's not the size of the text or the legibility, but just the fact that UI elements are going to take up so much space and it can be a little annoying having so little screen real estate. I still enjoy playing CK3 on it and I've got a decent number of hours on my deck, but it's a kind of inferior experience in a way that a lot of other games aren't.

Also: Don't go crazy modding or you will definitely experience crashes. You're also going to need to up the swap file size (just use cryotools) or it'll crash. CK3 seems to randomly spike its memory usage for no reason, so without adjusting the swap file everything will run fine and it'll just crash out of nowhere. Going to 16gb solved pretty much 100% of the crashes for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Paradox style games is why I went with ally over deck (monkeys paw is no track pad ) but the resolution is needed