Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Helps being a Kill Team box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lostconfused posted:

Helps being a Kill Team box.
Nah, even the basic Chaos Space Marines box (which was around several years longer than their Kill Team incarnation as Legionaries with the extra upgrade sprue) has unique weapons. The Chaos Space Marines kit is just an excellent all-round kit and I think the new Night Lords Kill Team (that uses the same base kit with a different upgrade sprue) shows how well-designed it is since it still holds up.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 17, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Still looks drat ugly though, but maybe that's what chaos marine players want.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Just could not get the barrel effect how I wanted (couldn't get a good orange mainly) but it looks ok I guess.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks for the info- if anyone has one I’d be interested in buying!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The Demilich posted:

Hell yeah, so I can def get a few of those bits.
It's the Sicaran hole I need to figure out now.
Base of the turret where it connects to the tank: 34mm
Turret dome at the widest point is 48mm
Guessing that with the guns on it you’d be looking at around 90mm long (the length of the guns), 60mm wide and about 25mm tall for the Autocannons on the plastic Sicaran. I think the Omega's turret you linked before is taller but not as long.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Finished my first mini squad of Chosen, really awesome kit. Can't wait to use all the extra bits to bash some legionaires into more chosen.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Highlighting every single finger and the upward facing parts of the palm is an intimidating amount of work.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

RangerScum posted:

Finished my first mini squad of Chosen, really awesome kit. Can't wait to use all the extra bits to bash some legionaires into more chosen.

Hell yeah great job, Chosen are so sick

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

RangerScum posted:

:hellyeah:

These look amazing, proper 'Eavy Metal style

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Just could not get the barrel effect how I wanted (couldn't get a good orange mainly) but it looks ok I guess.

All orange paints are transparent AF. To get a good orange, you've gotta basecoat with either a flesh color like Bugman's Glow or a pastel orange like Vallejo Model Color German Orange, then go over it with your bright orange like Troll Slayer or my go-to, Golden Hi Flow Pyrolle Orange.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

protomexican posted:

All orange paints are transparent AF. To get a good orange, you've gotta basecoat with either a flesh color like Bugman's Glow or a pastel orange like Vallejo Model Color German Orange, then go over it with your bright orange like Troll Slayer or my go-to, Golden Hi Flow Pyrolle Orange.

I'll check those out, thanks. I realized I didn't actually have an orange so I was trying to make one and couldn't get one bright enough.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/17/battling-with-deathwing-terminators-a-gamers-guide/

deathwing.

:getin:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gimme Assault Terminators you cowards.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
knights look poo poo.

i agree 2 squads of assault termies 4x LCs and a thunderhammer storm shield sgt

knights for 5 models with a power weapon look poo poo for 290 points

oh and chaplain with terminator armor if the rules still hold up for extra sass.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 17, 2024

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sherbert Hoover posted:

If you want to go for that really saturated orange look of glowing hot metal like I did here, there are a few specific colors I highly recommend.

Titanium White
Golden High Flow Acrylic Fluor Yellow & Orange
Daler Rowny Fluor Red
AK Tenebrous Grey

The tenebrous grey has the color of almost cast iron, which, when contrasted against the fluor colors, looks like comparatively cool metal, with a bit of heat still seeping through.

Based on your color selection here, the orange seems a bit muted, which won't drive home the "glowing" effect. Also, you want the colors to be built up over a background of white to really make them pop. Typically this takes an application of white, then a bright color (fluor red), then an application of white in brighter areas, then an even brighter color (fluor orange), then more white in the very tiniest recesses, and a final application of your brightest color (fluor yellow). You can see an example here: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0hVlLzNV7T/?hl=en

From there you can then start glazing the darkest parts with tenebrous grey. The whole process takes less time than it seems, I use a hair dryer to speed up the process.

He also has another video mini tutorial for something very similar here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cxa3Y8VNVKP/?hl=en

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 17, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Deathwing Knights should never be cheap enough to be playable but they look sick as heck

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Verisimilidude posted:

If you want to go for that really saturated orange look of glowing hot metal like I did here, there are a few specific colors I highly recommend.

Titanium White
Golden High Flow Acrylic Fluor Yellow & Orange
Daler Rowny Fluor Red
AK Tenebrous Grey

The tenebrous grey has the color of almost cast iron, which, when contrasted against the fluor colors, looks like comparatively cool metal, with a bit of heat still seeping through.

Based on your color selection here, the orange seems a bit muted, which won't drive home the "glowing" effect. Also, you want the colors to be built up over a background of white to really make them pop. Typically this takes an application of white, then a bright color (fluor red), then an application of white in brighter areas, then an even brighter color (fluor orange), then more white in the very tiniest recesses, and a final application of your brightest color (fluor yellow). You can see an example here: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0hVlLzNV7T/?hl=en

From there you can then start glazing the darkest parts with tenebrous grey. The whole process takes less time than it seems, I use a hair dryer to speed up the process.

He also has another video mini tutorial for something very similar here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cxa3Y8VNVKP/?hl=en

Thanks so much!

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Bucnasti posted:

Why is it that DA get special rules for everything?
They're the Terminator Guys.
They're the Bike Guys.

Seems like that shits on other SM factions.

Don't forget the Plasma Guys as well!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

knights look poo poo.

i agree 2 squads of assault termies 4x LCs and a thunderhammer storm shield sgt

knights for 5 models with a power weapon look poo poo for 290 points

oh and chaplain with terminator armor if the rules still hold up for extra sass.
Wolf Guard still the best Termies.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blightlords look pretty rad

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Dark Angles getting their super special snowflake terminators before we get new assault terminators is really annoying

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Dark Angles getting their super special snowflake terminators before we get new assault terminators is really annoying

do you really want assault terminators in the dark angel army box though

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Total number of models finished has hit an all time high: Four.

Next up is either my half squad of Infiltrators, or half a squad of Incursors, or my Outrider unit. I'm torn, I don't really want to do a bunch of little guys but multiple larger ones is also intimidating after a unit of Aggressors and a Dreadnought.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Hopefully the real digital points for deathwing knights are actually sane, 300 points is practically imperial knight/primarch territory

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

DeceasedHorse posted:

Hopefully the real digital points for deathwing knights are actually sane, 300 points is practically imperial knight/primarch territory

Especially with what a pool noodle the new power swords profile is. A whopping 1 damage a hit.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nazzadan posted:

Starting a World Eater army on the side and painted up a test model tonight, looking for some feedback on it. Is there anything that jumps out at you as needs improvement or changing before I start going full steam ahead on the rest of the army with this scheme? At a glance I think I need to push the red highlights higher at the extreme tips like on the wrists.

I think this looks good and I dig the colors, I would try to do something to make the world eater shoulder logo pop a bit more, making the inner section contrast with the outer section more. Pushing your brightest red highlights a bit more and adding contrast that way is usually a good move, go for it!

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

darnon posted:

Especially with what a pool noodle the new power swords profile is. A whopping 1 damage a hit.

If the maces aren’t d2, the unit is DOA. You could get 9 blade guard veterans for 270.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Sounds great, but why stop at auxiliaries? Just have some Apothecary press the 'Female Space Marines' button. What's the Inquisition gonna do, purge them even harder?

Slowly easing into it organically. But that is most likely going to happen at some point.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

When they add female space marines in box then I'll start a space marine army.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

how is anything at all in the entire 40k game supposed to beat this list, I cant think of any other army that could possibly put up a fight against this:-

Holy poo poo, a single squad of deathwing knights is MORE POINTS than a land raider?!? how good are these guys?!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Al-Saqr posted:

how is anything at all in the entire 40k game supposed to beat this list, I cant think of any other army that could possibly put up a fight against this:-

Holy poo poo, a single squad of deathwing knights is MORE POINTS than a land raider?!? how good are these guys?!

I think you are overestimating how good terminators are, friend. They're usually priced too highly to be seriously worth it, but sometimes they hit that right balance of cost to utility.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Don't Deathwing Knights get like 20 attacks at 2+ S6 -2ap D3? Also a bunch of other stuff? 20 wounds for the unit as well with -1 damage?

I don't know enough about the game in its current form to understand if this is good, but I did find it funny that the article goes "here are the advantages" of using Deathwing and doesn't say any reason why you might choose something else.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

A 5 man squad of Custodes is 250-275 points, and you're pretty much obligated to take at least a 140 point character with them. That death wing list doesn't look that different in terms of points values.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

JBP posted:

Don't Deathwing Knights get like 20 attacks at 2+ S6 -2ap D3? Also a bunch of other stuff? 20 wounds for the unit as well with -1 damage?

I don't know enough about the game in its current form to understand if this is good, but I did find it funny that the article goes "here are the advantages" of using Deathwing and doesn't say any reason why you might choose something else.

Only 1 AP on the maces under current rules. The leader gets an extra attack, 2 AP, dev wounds, and sustained 1, but is only D2. But there doesn't seem to be any major rules change to them (I think they also get Teleport Homer now?) to justify the 25% points increase that 290 represents.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

darnon posted:

Only 1 AP on the maces under current rules. The leader gets an extra attack, 2 AP, dev wounds, and sustained 1, but is only D2. But there doesn't seem to be any major rules change to them (I think they also get Teleport Homer now?) to justify the 25% points increase that 290 represents.

Ah ok they were cheaper previously? 25% is a fair bit I can see why it's getting mocked if the unit wasn't dominant to begin with.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Al-Saqr posted:

That's like 34 models at 2000 points just go around them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eej posted:

That's like 34 models at 2000 points just go around them

They can deep strike turn one tho, so that's pretty good for putting them in lovely places that you can't just avoid.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Lostconfused posted:

A 5 man squad of Custodes is 250-275 points, and you're pretty much obligated to take at least a 140 point character with them. That death wing list doesn't look that different in terms of points values.

5 man squad of Allarus Custodes is 350 points, for when you want an army of terminators but don't want to paint too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Huh, they're saying the DA Update has 20 datasheets, they currently have 18, with Deathwing Command Squads going and Companions coming in, and I assume the Ravenwing Talonmaster going, where are they getting more new units from? Or is that 20 physical cards in the datasheet pack which will include ones for the Detachment rules, so it's more like 17 datasheets plus those?