Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

011724_6
Jan 18, 2024
Traits: Suicidal, Obstructist, Long. Any Questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

some of his observations are pure gold !!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

some of his observations are pure gold !!

thanks for your analysis Alina Habba

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I read the page and I don’t care. he found the locus of thought. it’s in the brain. oh boy

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Aitee as I tell him about a few select recurring themes in my dreams:

"Wow, yeah, fascinating. Ok, whew. Finally got that butthole out of there. Now roll over and show me them peepers."

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Andy Pandy posted:

Has anyone else been visited by the night hag?

yes

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

mdemone posted:

it's neurology thank you

euphronius posted:

lol throw it in the bin

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

here mdemone this should answer your questions . it doesn’t get more straightforward than this

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I'm the genital organs (organs of action)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
euphronius please stop strongly interpreting the Dr. Bronner's label

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What could this not-Starlink be?

https://old.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/199998v/filmed_in_my_backyard_september_23rd_2023_updated/

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Anyone else ever read the whole thing? He really hates communists!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
woe to any chart that does not include anatta.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

woe to anyone that holds onto concepts rather than their inherit meaning

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you need to find the relationship between things; we're in a giant interconnected system of stuff that goes from objects measured in planck lengths to the largest objects in the cosmos; these relationships are dynamic and defy easy categorization, but the interaction between A and B is more interesting and important than rigidly defining either. Sometimes I feel like people with brains wired to try and box everything into rigid category are really not capable of fully understanding reality; at least not in their current life.

011724_7
Jan 18, 2024
why would the other be executing old programs?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

011724_7 posted:

why would the other be executing old programs?

Why do you keep buying accounts?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

has it been discussed yet that ufos might be intelligent plasma generating electromagnetic fields?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

this is disclothesure

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I accidentally took a double dose of Seroquel once and it provided me with the most unsettling and terrifying sleep experience of my life. I was having a nightmare that my partner was standing at the back of the house, looking through our back windows, and pointing, looking horrified. There was something out there and she was just screaming and crying out. I ran to her yelling "what's happening, what's happening?" and as I looked outside I saw a dark figure I can't really describe, other than it was a man shaped thing, but not a man. And it was coming for us.

I woke up standing up in our bedroom to my absolutely horrified partner who was crying and visibly shaken, because I had gotten out of bed and started walking around, with my eyes open, but completely vacant, and yelling "what's happening" over and over again. It took me like a half hour to calm her down. Anyway be careful about your med doses kids!

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
I for one enjoy esoteric mutterings from the mysterious number person, it's like the thread has its own mascot character, like the way towns do in Japan

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Turpitude posted:

Octopuses have 9 brains, which is why they are pwning Lockheed Martin with their wild psychokinetic tech.

Everyone should read Children of Ruin, cause this is a major plot point and it's a really cool concept

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010

Pooky posted:

Just going to recommend this book again since the topic was brought up.

I read this last time you rec'd it and loved it, currently reading it again.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Out of curiosity, do any of you have experience with geomancy? If so, are there any books you might recommend on the topic? Not particularly picky about practice or framework.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Tighclops posted:

It's "cool" how we've only ever heard for years that the experiments were just "inconclusive" and no we can't send them on any of our newer rovers or landers to confirm the results because *muffled screaming*

my first semester of general biology, first lecture, the professor brought up the labeled release experiment. he was quite exasperated by it and thought it was one of the first things any student of biology should know about lol

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mdemone posted:

random example: gesture & speech

reminds me of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqsVAPBYa6Q

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/01/dod-completely-rewrites-classification-policy-for-secret-space-programs/

DoD ‘completely rewrites’ classification policy for secret space programs

quote:

WASHINGTON — Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks has signed off on a new classification policy for space programs that discourages the use of Special Access Program status (SAPs) that dramatically limits clearances to handful of US officials — in hopes of opening still-secret programs to more stakeholders, including US allies and industry partners, according to a senior official.

“What the classification memo does, generally, is it overwrites — it really completely rewrites — a legacy document that had its roots 20 years ago, and it’s just no longer applicable to the current environment that involves national security space,” DoD Assistant Secretary for Space Policy John Plumb told reporters today.

While the specifics of the policy, signed off by Hicks “at the end of 2023,” are themselves classified, Plumb explained that a key issue has been the overuse of SAPs that not only have limited the ability to share with allies and industry, but even among different organizations within the Defense Department.

“So, anything we can bring from a SAP level to a Top Secret level for example, brings massive value to the warfighter, massive value to the department, and frankly, my hope is over time [it] will also allow us to share more information with allies and partners that they might not currently be able to share.”

Plumb explained that from now on DoD will be “assigning minimum classifications to a various number of things, which will then allow the services to examine their own programs and determine ‘should this really be SAP-ed any more?’ And the general point that I have made clear is policy is not a reason, it’s not the only reason, to hide something in a SAP program. There have to be technical aspects to it.”

National security space leaders within the Pentagon and outside experts for years have been pushing to lower the sky-high classification levels traditionally applied to all things military space. This has included a call for declassifying information about DoD’s plans for conducting warfighting in space — but this new policy document does not do that, Plumb said.

“Inside the beltway, people always ask me about how can I make things unclassified? And that is not actually a thing I’m all that concerned about. I’m concerned about reducing the classification of things where they are over-classified to the point that it hampers our ability to get work done or hamper the ability of the warfighter to do their mission,” he said.

Plumb acknowledged that it will take time for the new approach to work its way down through the bureaucracy and be accepted, but said at the same time there are “many folks looking forward to getting started on it.”

He further noted that he will be “briefing some close allies and partners on these changes” in future.

The new classification policy is in essence a first step in an overarching effort by Plumb’s office to craft a new “DoD International Space Cooperation Strategy,” designed to support the ability of the US, allies and partners to more seamlessly undertake collective military space operations.

Plumb noted that already the Pentagon expanded the “Combined Space Operations Initiative (CSpO)” from seven members — Australia, Canada, France, Germany, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States — to 10. At the CSpO’s last meeting in early December, DoD announced that Italy, Japan and Norway had now been admitted.

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023

The Demilich posted:

011724_7 is disclosure

no wait! 011924_2 is disclosure

wait!! 012324_4 is disclosure

wait! ah, forget it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this is disclothesure

i suppose i shouldn't have gone camping with the nudists....

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Demilich posted:

This is the same person who sued the forums because they kept getting probed and banned. When that happened, someone dug up a news article about them and they are locally notorious for their prodigious and incomprehensible court filings. I don't want to dig it up as it might be doxxing and it would also give them attention, which I also acknowledge I am doing by typing this all out.

It would be nice if people would stop giving them attention, as the attention clearly feeds into their mental illness. And, to be clear, no shade on the mentally ill, as I am one myself. However, any interaction with them is just going to encourage whatever delusion they've built in their mind about this place and the people here. It's not going to produce something funny and it isn't going to make them stop, it's just a sad situation.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:glomp: thank you

it's actually incredibly important that humans have empathy for non-humans. You're not wrong in trying to set attainable goals but I probably can't emphasize enough how much it matters that we care about and for things and people that aren't us
I also completely agree. :glomp: Even if aitees somehow turn out not to exist after all, practicing this empathy would still be of massive benefit to us and the world.

I appreciate the thread's book recommendations about the Right Hemisphere and A Thousand Brains, although I admit to sharing the skepticism about a seeming over-emphasis of the brain's relevance and control over our experiences. It's a powerful part of our bodies... but I believe it's exactly that, a part of our bodies, a piece of the whole. Not separate or standing above like a ruler. But I like that one of them connects consciousness to gestures, that sounds promising. If I have the chance I will read them with an open mind and heart, and see what I can find. Thank you.

I wanted to recommend a book myself, while we're on the topic, especially to those of you who have mentioned exploring with mushrooms: Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake. I think the description does a great job summing up why it's so interesting, but I'll post a few of my favorite passages from it too. Description: "When we think of fungi, we probably think of mushrooms. But mushrooms are only fruiting bodies, analogous to apples on a tree. Most fungi live out of sight, yet make up a massively diverse kingdom of organisms that support and sustain nearly all living systems. The more we learn about fungi, the less makes sense without them.

Sheldrake’s mind-bending journey into this hidden world ranges from yeast to psychedelics, to the fungi that sprawl for miles underground and are the largest organisms on the planet, to those that make all plant life possible, to those that infiltrate and manipulate insect bodies with devastating precision.

Fungi throw our concepts of individuality and even intelligence into question. They can change our minds, heal our bodies, and even help us remediate environmental disaster. By examining fungi on their own terms, Sheldrake reveals how these extraordinary organisms – and our relationships with them – are changing our understanding of how life works."

quote:

A mycelial network is a map of a fungus's recent history and is a helpful reminder that all life-forms are in fact processes not things. The "you" of five years ago was made from different stuff than the "you" of today. Nature is an event that never stops. As William Bateson, who coined the term genetics, observed, "We commonly think of animals and plants as matter, but they are really systems through which matter is continually passing." When we see an organism, from a fungus to a pine tree, we catch a single moment in its continual development.

quote:

In the case of Ophiocordyceps, an infected ant's behavior can be thought of as fungal behavior. The death grip, summit disease -- these are extended characteristics of the fungus, part of its extended phenotype. Can the alterations in human consciousness and behavior brought about by psilocybin mushrooms be thought of as an extended phenotype of the fungus? The extended behavior of Ophiocordyceps leaves an imprint on the world in the form of fossilized scars on the undersides of leaves. Can the extended behavior of psilocybin mushrooms be thought of as leaving an imprint in the world in the form of ceremonies, rituals, chants, and the other cultural and technological outgrowths of our altered states? Do psilocybin fungi wear our minds, as Ophiocordyceps and Massospora wear insect bodies?

quote:

Horses and humans remains separate organisms, as do plants and mycorrhizal fungi, but both are echoes of an ancient tendency for organisms to associate. The anthropologists Natasha Myers and Carla Hustak argue that the word evolution, which literally means "rolling outward", doesn't capture the readiness of organisms to involve themselves in one another's lives. Myers and Hustak suggest that the word involution--from the word involve--better describes this tendency: a "rolling, curling, turning inward." In their view, the concept of involution better captures the entangled pushing and pulling of "organisms constantly inventing new ways to live with and alongside one another." It was their tendency to involve themselves in the lives of others that enabled plants to borrow a root system for fifty million years while they evolved their own. Today, even with their own root systems, almost all plants still depend on mycorrhizal fungi to manage their underground lives. Their involuntary tendencies enabled fungi to borrow a photosynthesizing alga to handle their atmospheric affairs. They still do. Mycorrhizal fungi are not built into plant seeds. Plants and fungi must constantly form and reform their relationships. Involution is ongoing and extravagant: By associating with one another, all participants wander outside and beyond their prior limits.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

mdemone posted:

random example: gesture & speech

I remember well the disillusionment of learning in college about how neuroscience in general seemed to really be just looking at vague regions of the brain “lighting up” in response to certain situations and stimuli, followed by making up a bunch of crap

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

I appreciate the thread's book recommendations about the Right Hemisphere and A Thousand Brains, although I admit to sharing the skepticism about a seeming over-emphasis of the brain's relevance and control over our experiences. It's a powerful part of our bodies... but I believe it's exactly that, a part of our bodies, a piece of the whole. Not separate or standing above like a ruler.

The brain is a transceiver and its activity, a symptom :colbert:

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

The brain is like a filter that takes in dream stuff, and pumps out seemingly separate experiences.

There is a reality "out there" that we perceive, but it's just you. Like when you dream at night, you create a whole world with people and things and events going on and simultaneously localize yourself within said dream, then you also convince yourself (typically) that you are awake in a world of things and happenings with people that you believe aren't you. This is all done on the fly by you when you go into REM.

The universe is like that, but far, far grander. We're all simultaneously the dreamer and the dreamed world/it's contents. We localize ourselves into these minds and then get habituated into believing that we are these bodymind complexes rather than that which is the source and witness of all of them.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

quote:

A mycelial network is a map of a fungus's recent history and is a helpful reminder that all life-forms are in fact processes not things. The "you" of five years ago was made from different stuff than the "you" of today. Nature is an event that never stops. As William Bateson, who coined the term genetics, observed, "We commonly think of animals and plants as matter, but they are really systems through which matter is continually passing." When we see an organism, from a fungus to a pine tree, we catch a single moment in its continual development.

"Process Theism," Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy posted:

As we have seen, in process theism, the Divine is responsible for the laws of nature and these laws determine the limits of non-divine creativity. Whitehead and Hartshorne deny, however, that God could create actual entities devoid of creative activity. Moreover, developmental and evolutionary categories are central to their thinking. It is contrary to process philosophy to imagine God with the ability to create a fully grown man or woman who did not grow to adulthood from having been a child. One’s being actual is inseparable from one’s having become actual (Hartshorne 1941, 233–234).

:hmmyes:

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Ben Nerevarine posted:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I had a dream last night in which I was instructed to assemble a smudge kit, even though I am not Indigenous and do not smudge. I explained this but I was told to keep it on hand "just in case someone needed it" basically. So, I guess I need to get some sweetgrass and sage.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I have a job interview today where i'll get to advocate for people in need and it pays well and i'm so excited y'all.

a job where i help make the world better and get to work in a group that does stuff i care about would be amazing, and this crazy trans girl needs a job BAD; the fact nobody hires in december has really dicked me over financially and I need a break!! energy and prayers and all that poo poo please!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

Riot Bimbo posted:

I have a job interview today where i'll get to advocate for people in need and it pays well and i'm so excited y'all.

a job where i help make the world better and get to work in a group that does stuff i care about would be amazing, and this crazy trans girl needs a job BAD; the fact nobody hires in december has really dicked me over financially and I need a break!! energy and prayers and all that poo poo please!!

I wish you luck, Riot Bimbo. You deserve wonderful things.