Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Guitar Thread: learn 2 read, bozo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if you poll 99.9% of your favorite guitarists they probably never used the berklee book and also wouldnt know how to read past the first 10 pages (im giving them the benefit of the doubt they all learned to read a c scale)

ie it's decent for a jazz guitarist but for learning popular genres the best tool is listening, watching fingers, and practicing / trying to match it

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
yeah play 15 hours a day is the real answer but we are not realists we are hobby autists with money and no brains

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Money, no brains, and even less time. I spend more time GASing at work than playing at home and it’s not even close. Not by choice, that’s just what it is with work and kids and life

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yeah fine im just saying if you bounce of the book especially volume 2 and 3 don't worry about it, it's real hard to read the notation and im not sure who the hell its really for

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Re: Berklee, I played trumpet in middle school so I could already read basic sheet music. I'd been playing on and off a few years after high school, and could do major and minor A and E shape barre chords. I wouldn't recommend the berklee book to an absolute beginner, but wish I had picked it up earlier.

It's just nice (for me) to have a book to work on for a few minutes per practice session and see improvement in addition to trying to learn popular songs.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
That Berklee book made me so much better (and I play in a bluegrass / country band). It teaches you how to play rhythm real well. Plus you end up learning all the keys, triads etc. It makes you an all around good guitarist.

An anecdote in favor of reading notation: my husband recently started learning ukulele and got this book with a bunch of songs. They're written in notation with box chords for uke. We can play together with me playing the melody since it's the same clef as guitar and it's SUPER fun. You never know when it might be useful!

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

moon demon posted:

that book looks... pretty daunting to my beginner rear end

the biggest challenge is the song examples are really lame

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ethanol posted:

im not suggesting you switch to thumb over or this hybrid pick technique but theres stuff related to selective muting in this vid that ive spent maybe 20 years trying to do and still cant do nearly as well as this guy. Just in case you're wondering how hard it can really be. but also it's a good video just to see how people approach things differently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMCkvGTEN0

man what the gently caress

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pollyanna posted:

Trying to string mute and jump around the fretboard at the same time is a lot harder than I thought :negative: Maybe the Godzilla riff isn’t the best place to start? I wish I was better with my hands…

It's a perfectly fine place to start. Just take it slow and remember that it's not an easy or natural thing to make your hands do this stuff. It takes a lot of practice. Break the riff into chunks and work on each chunk individually and start bringing it together as it becomes more comfortable. You'll get there. If it makes you feel better, there's songs I've been working on for literal years because they're beyond my current ability but I'm using them to develop speed, precision, synchronization or some other technical aspects of playing that just require time and practice. But, there's things I can do now that I never thought would be possible. It's a process.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Re: everything

I can read music still (mostly), I just really need to put my mind to tabs because I do want to be able to read them as well. I've always been a filthy percussionist but I wanted to try strings for forever.

I wish I had woodworking tools, but that's a cost I'm not willing to eat currently along with getting better at woodworking. I'm an adult without the adult money lol, but I do have time on my hands.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if you can already read some music and at the risk of sounding like a simpleton stuff like dotted notes and so on the berklee books are pretty interesting.

more than just reading the book wants you to be able to put note to fretboard pretty fluently at times though, and that's the challenge with a multivoice instrument that has a ton of fretboard positions to play the same thing. but it will definitely improve your skill at that if you're into it

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's the goal tbh. I will forever regret not doing this the right way last time, but life was getting in the way at that point so it is what it is.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think my hands are too small for the thumb-over grip??? I have no idea how anyone manages to play chords like that.

In fact I think this instrument is just sized for people with bigger hands and more range than me. I can only barely get all fingers on the first four frets.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yes the long fingered freaks have an easier time with that thumb grip and it's not fair. but it's wholly not necessary to actually play that way

you dont need big hands to play the guitar

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One day I’ll figure out how to hold this thing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you have no idea how mad i get when i see that guy play tbh that's a 59 les paul (pretty thick neck) if i do that on a 59 les paul neck my thumb barely taps the E string whereas he can curl his all the way to fretting the A string. but yeah you really don't have to play thumb over like that, in fact it's historically not even really considered a great way to play that's why he starts off kinda defensive about it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

At least he can play without twinging his wrist fingers and (presumably) back :psyduck:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

even if you dont use the thumb you can learn a lot about partial chords from him and how you can relieve pressure on your wrist by only fingering part of the chords and muting the rest. effectively putting pressure on only ~3 strings at a time instead of all 6. especially effective with power chord structures like your godzilla riff. It's a combo of left and right hand working together. you don't have to necessarily mute, if you don't pick the string.. for instance, in that case your finger arching over and brushing a string doesn't matter. (or readjust so you mute the string) you don't need to pain to extend the arch and avoid the string. it's all about figuring out what is comfortable for you and getting the hands to work together.

it's something that's confusing to newbies but pros play with much less pressure than you think. newbies and even a lot of intermediate players tend to play with too much pressure/exertion because trying to play too much of the chord all the time. you'll find a lot of experienced guitarists are often looking at ways to lessen the exertion of stuff they used to do with barre chords by finding partial voicings that use fewer strings in a more comfortable position

of course it also helps to remember some fundamentals
1)properly set up truss rod and action so you aren't fighting the guitar
2)keeping fingernails short on your fretting hand
3)practice changes a lot with good timing. chords take a while to build up strength.

edit: also specific to your rock and roll string muting, don't worry so much about making the string impossible to hear, some of that mute only does so much as make the string kinda make a 'click' sound when it gets picked, it's sort of just percussive and blends into the overdrive. so you can get away with being sloppy. jimi hendrix made it into a signature sound in machine gun

and i played the riff in the video you posted and tbh i wouldn't call it terribly comfortable to play a long time

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 17, 2024

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Man, it’s like someone should translate that Berkeley system into some more modern guitar notation. Learning 18th century hieroglyphics alongside trying to learn guitar is unnecessarily daunting for newbies.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
It's not the sheet music that prevents me from recommending the Berklee book to beginners, it's that it just throws you into barre chords and triads like 1/3 of the way in. The sheet music is just a bonus, and kinda keeps the first dozen or so "easy" pages interesting if you're coming at it as an advanced beginner.

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
My MIL knows I'm a tinkerer and she found a beater nylon string acoustic guitar from Paracho by her dumpster. It was beat to poo poo, the previous owner had used marker on the fretboard and soundboard and managed to have the bass side of the bridge come off the body by replacing EAD with steel strings. Oh, and their doggo / cat had chewed the crap out of the heel and headstock.

I managed to glue the bridge back on and salvage the heel and headstock with a microplane. I ended up sanding the neck clean, applying cutting board oil and plan on doing the same for the soundboard. I did a quick fret refinish and polish and sanded down the plastic bridge and nut to a reasonable action. Nylon strings are still stretching but so far this instrument plays and sounds very nice, intonation is true, and best of all i'm finally playing and not tinkering / GASing

I am working through Jobim's Insensatez as transcribed in https://brazile.net/guitar/Tabs/insensatez-tab.html and the Am6 transition to E7/G# is kicking my rear end.

I'm having so much fun i wanted to share it WTT and have you join in the pain.

code:
Am6	        E7/G#
+-+-+-+-+-+	+-+-+-+-+-+
| | F#| | | 4	| | E | | | 2
+-+-+-+-+-+	+-+-+-+-+-+
A | | C E |	| | | | D |
+-+-+-+-+-+	+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | |	G#| | B | |
+-+-+-+-+-+	+-+-+-+-+-+
| | | | | |	| | | | | |
+-+-+-+-+-+	+-+-+-+-+-+
  x       x	  x       x

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Re: playing with short fingers. Look up a video of Segovia. Man had some stubby sausage-fingers and he's considered one of the greatest classical guitarist ever.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pollyanna posted:

I think my hands are too small for the thumb-over grip??? I have no idea how anyone manages to play chords like that.

In fact I think this instrument is just sized for people with bigger hands and more range than me. I can only barely get all fingers on the first four frets.

Everyone feels like that sometimes, especially when starting.

I think with time you get the sense that a chord is a sequence of simultaneous notes, not a shape, so you'll find yourself playing thumb-over sometimes, but not others amd playing partial voicings contextually. You'll see it as you learn more songs, but it can be interesting knowing just a little enough theory to be dangerous and be like "oh, this weird version of G makes moving to A here really easy" or "I feel like single finger A chords are 'cheating', but in THIS song, they allow me to do THIS and thats cool!"

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
I wrote a drinking song https://voca.ro/1eusP2s5JJmd

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have an idea! How about instead of working on tricks like string and palm muting, I practice a comfortable and sustainable position and grip? Any ideas and recs? No trick I learn or drill I practice will matter if I can’t hold this drat thing without falling apart.

I really wish I had started there with my teacher :( I honestly regret coming in with knowing some basic music theory and mentioning my synthtoucher background, that became a huge rabbit hole and it would have been far better to start from the absolute basics with him.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYIAkKUxcOI

Don't worry, you didn't practice for 15 years the wrong way like I did, you'll be fine

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Pollyanna posted:

I have an idea! How about instead of working on tricks like string and palm muting, I practice a comfortable and sustainable position and grip? Any ideas and recs? No trick I learn or drill I practice will matter if I can’t hold this drat thing without falling apart.

I really wish I had started there with my teacher :( I honestly regret coming in with knowing some basic music theory and mentioning my synthtoucher background, that became a huge rabbit hole and it would have been far better to start from the absolute basics with him.

I told my teacher that we should pretend I knew gently caress all and then be pleasantly surprised if something got dredged up from the murk that helped me speed up learning a particular skill/technique/concept

This has been a successful strategy thus far

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
practicing mechanics sounds boring I'd rather find a song that does the thing and play that immhoo

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

practicing mechanics sounds boring I'd rather find a song that does the thing and play that immhoo

:hmmyes:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm planning to customise this cheap HB Mustang clone to have some unique specs I don't think are served by any models out there these days. My plans this far are;

• Locking tuners
  • New nut
  • Filtertron pickups
  • New pickup for above with maybe the metal cover for the dials
  • Possibly a roller bridge

Besides that, any suggestions on stuff to do with the electronics? I've been thinking about a Jag-style strangle switch, either a bass or treble cut. Was thinking of keeping the switches to toggle the pickup select so that frees space with the knobs for something. Probably not looking to need batteries in there

I've also had issues with the trem bar, for one it's very loose and will flop around, second I've found the washer or whatever that connects the bar to the trem itself can cover off very easy and I need to remove it all to get in there and fix it. I can take pictures when I next fix it but can this be dealt with? Loctite maybe?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 17, 2024

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Well, my guitar had some other issues so I told them to just go ahead and fix it. Needs leveling and to fix part of the fretboard, in the meantime I guess I'll order the pickup I want so when I restring it next time I can install it. Buuuuuut, I'm really glad I had them give it a good lookover since I honestly don't know that part of things. At least I can do the electronics myself, that'll save me in the long run if I want to tinker a bit.

Y'all weren't kidding about the book, that's a lot of neat info in there though.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
spotted among the b stock baddies: this guitar https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/b-stock-instruments-bto-doheny-miami-blue-hula-art-by-clee-sobieski

EDIT: ATTN lefties -- they also have an 8.1 lb lefty strat for under 1700, and they say it's actually A stock, not B stock.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Helianthus Annuus posted:

b stock baddies

Taking this band name

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

spotted among the b stock baddies: this guitar https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/b-stock-instruments-bto-doheny-miami-blue-hula-art-by-clee-sobieski

EDIT: ATTN lefties -- they also have an 8.1 lb lefty strat for under 1700, and they say it's actually A stock, not B stock.

It's hideous. I want it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Here's my Mustang trem just before I fixed it again, basically it's unscrewed itself. Will Loktite sort it, or can I do anything else?

Took a look under the pick guard too, and besides there being a lot of sawdust and no shielding in there, I looks like I can fit trons I there without additional routing. Not exactly a swimming pool but an angled single coil seems to have a similar profile.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That thing is baller

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I went up in front of an audience and played my guitar for the first time ever

The actual literal first time playing in front of human beings

It was at the open jam for MAGfest and it was just strumming chords but it happened and I did not die decent enough for a newbie

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Congrats dude that’s awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

That guitar hurts my back to look at.