Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

I don’t think “actually I think the two other dev provided options are also valid and in character” is denying the WoL’s canon traits.

There are three answers. They were all provided by the writers.

You're right. I worded that very poorly..I just meant that people for some reason seem to think that having your own WoL headcanon is the same thing as denying the WoLs "canon character traits" or whatever. when both can be viewed as like. True.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hopeandjoy posted:

Ok great.

My WoL fought in the grand company melee because Aymeric asked her to. She fought Lyse because she asked her to. She fought Venat because she asked her to.

This is not hard characterization?

My WoL doesn’t even dislike fighting! She likes adventuring and seeing new things and helping people. But she’s not a beast who wants to fight for the adrenaline of it. This is not be going “oh she’s a pacifist” or whatever you all think everyone with this view thinks because you think we’re all like Cleretic. It’s a fundamental misread of her as a person that is not incongruous with the canonical dialog choices.

What Meteor does during trailers also isn’t relevant to my WoL because. She’s not Meteor.

And honestly, my reading on my own WoL is basically 'just because you're good at something doesn't mean you enjoy it'. She would much prefer to be doing other things, but it turns out when you can summon a dragon that fires orbital laser beams, you're kinda typecast. Fortunately, that's also a skillset that lets her enact positive change.

EDIT: I have just realized this means she is ABSOLUTELY due for a X-2 Yuna arc.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 18, 2024

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

one option has a cool smirk, which let's be real is a pretty big selling point. no one's gonna draw or commission fanart of their wol doing the :geno: face at zenos

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The last one has you screaming at him which is also pretty rad tbh.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:justpost:

or pm me or whatever it's all fine

If you're already criming anyways, you can use IINACT (+Browsingway if you want overlays like Cactbot) to run a more modern implementation of ACT through Dalamud with much less system overhead than the full ACT application. And it's crossplatform!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i think the section being discussed is interesting because while i know a lot of people found it varying levels of frustrating or irksome on levels from "my character wouldn't do this but whatever" to "i personally am mad this happened in the story and think it is bad writing and it spoiled the ending for me," to me it is a beautiful and sweet little gift from the devs who are saying "did you like playing this video game? cool, here is an even cooler fight than usual, thank you for playing final fantasy xiv: endwalker, we hope you enjoyed it."

personally, i think i sometimes feel a little unreasonably defensive of it for that reason; i feel like people's personal baggage from other parts of the game get in the way of enjoying a scene that is really trying to be a moment of grace targeted at the player's personal enjoyment. in that respect it is almost identical to winter 2021-22's other greatest gaming moment (which i am far more unreasonably defensive of and would sacrifice my life for, were it possible): the wolves that fall on you from out of the sky in elden ring.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you picked the other two dialog options they should delete your account since you said you dont like the things the game is. this is to support roleplaying

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes aside its very important to note the other two options dont actually say 'no, youre wrong'

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zenos is the WoL's second-best friend, their first-best friend being Hildibrand and third-best friend being the dude who organizes the ocean fishing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The WoL, with as little characterization as given, likes two things: Adventure and fighting.

Joining the adventurer's guild is the first thing that happens in game. The last dialogue choice we had in 6.55 was asking if we wanted a new adventure, with 2 choices - both an enthusiastic yes. The rest of the game isn't an exception.

The WoL fights a bunch of people when it's not necessary, or important, or life saving - just for the thrill. Raubahn and the grand companies, Lyse, Venat all just fight for the sake of it. He's even got a big grin for most of the duel in the Dawntrail trailer.

Like him or not, Zenos had a pretty accurate read on what little the WoL has defined about them. He's not some meta commentator on raiders.

I like fighting just fine, but Zenos quit. I beat his rear end and he ragequit. He shouldn't get a do-over. And even with the opportunity to get a do-over, it is laughable that he can try to claim I wanna fight him too. Nah dude, you sucked, you did awful stuff for awful reasons, you didn't kill me when you had the chance, I don't like you and I never will.

Has he ever crafted a moogle house? A tonberry table? If he hasn't had the pleasure I've no patience for his "waaa fighting is my only thrill."

Funky Valentine posted:

Zenos is the WoL's second-best friend, their first-best friend being Hildibrand and third-best friend being the dude who organizes the ocean fishing.

Hildibrand is the greatest friend I will ever have in my life and I don't even know if he knows it

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Credits rolled! I like Wuk Lamat, not having the strongest reaction like other people but I'm looking forward to getting to know her more!

Thancred you sneaky bitch you could say 'hello' to a guy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In case anyone makes the same mistake I did, the end of the Tataru quests gives a kit for the Adventurer's Plate, not the Portrait. Turns out I've got a lot of other new stuff in here I never knew about.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Endorph posted:

jokes aside its very important to note the other two options dont actually say 'no, youre wrong'

This is a good point. "Oh, screw this" isn't refuting the argument

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

People are very... opinionated about dialogue choices.

If you don't like the dialogue option then don't pick it. If you don't pick it, it didn't happen! Now you can be happy because you yelled at Zenos.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

Just different degrees of annoyed.

Shinjobi posted:

Hildibrand is the greatest friend I will ever have in my life and I don't even know if he knows it

There's a comic of this probably but every time someone mentions the WoL gaining strength through their friends and allies I just imagine my character picturing Nashu and Hildabrand and the rest of the crew in her head

The most true and righteous companions in this world.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If you don't like the dialogue option then don't pick it. If you don't pick it, it didn't happen! Now you can be happy because you yelled at Zenos.

Okay you're not wrong, but I do feel like a lot of people got the wrong idea from 'just know I'll kill your god if I have to. Maybe even if I don't.' And those people remain wrong even if I'm not.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hildibrand would be a more worthy member of the Scions than G'raha, and I like G'raha.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Funky Valentine posted:

Hildibrand would be a more worthy member of the Scions than G'raha, and I like G'raha.

He's much too busy with real work than what we're doing.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Wuk Lamat owns

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I finished up the new MSQ, and for one thing:

Chillgamesh posted:

Wuk Lamat owns

Also, it seems that after this most recent conversation with G'Raha, the WoL is going to the New World to eat popotoes and pet alpacas. I'm not sure anyone could have picked different dialog options.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cleretic posted:

Okay you're not wrong, but I do feel like a lot of people got the wrong idea from 'just know I'll kill your god if I have to. Maybe even if I don't.' And those people remain wrong even if I'm not.
it's canon that the wol kills gods, sometimes unnecessarily, and tells moogles to piss off

e: oh right the actual thing I came to post, I have added others' suggestions to mycrimes, thank you for them!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I think the WHM relic weapon is my favourite one this tier. I dig how it uses the lily motif.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I think the WHM relic weapon is my favourite one this tier. I dig how it uses the lily motif.

I thought it was a lotus?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Allagan Tools: One of my most favorites, after Yes Already and Simple Tweaks. See where any item you have access to is located. Yourself, your armory, saddlebags, retainers, FC storage, you can see it all. There's a search bar to find that specific item in your inventory, and if you can't see it in the mess of items that all have almost the exact same icon, there's a Highlight checkbox that will dim everything that doesn't match your search. It can also give you info on any item in the game, let you try it on in the little preview window, tell you where to get it, and even open a wiki page or Garland Tools page for the item.

Oh actually a really nice thing I discovered recently is that Allagan tools can do crafting lists, thus basically completely obsoleting team craft for me. You don't need to install a standalone exe for it to update your lists and it can track FC inventory which is a lifesaver considering we just dump sub mats in the FC chest.

Like seriously when people are loading up on sub mats noone is going to load up the shared FC team craft list to painstakingly update the numbers, they're going to shove a stack of coke in the chest and leave lol

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Cleretic posted:

Yeah. I've said before, but that response basically only rings true if you actually are there for the challenge.

If you're someone who doesn't care about Extremes and Savages, who's primarily motivated by story or glamor? That choice doesn't even ring true to the player, let alone the character.

The argument I would make for it is that one thing we can absolutely with certainty say about the Warrior of Light is they never want to settle down and get an ordinary 9-5. We are a thrill seeker, that's why we keep being a glorified sellsword adrenaline junkie. We may not be only satisfied by lethal violence, but because we have made a trade of periodic very dangerous violence we are implicitly ok with the idea of risking either our or someone else's death for our idea of a fulfilling life.

That doesn't mean that's all we have to us, but by the same token if we weren't in this on some level for the thrill we'd have settled down and gotten a real job. But we can't. It is not in our nature to be contented with an ordinary life.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 18, 2024

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
On some level the WoL does not want to be caught up in anything at all. It's not the strongest part of them, otherwise DRK 51-60 could not have happened, but it is textually part of their character.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If you do or want to do hard content, my two plugin recommendations are Death Recap and Engage Timer.

Death Recap lets you quickly pull up a list of each death over the past however long by player, letting you see things like HP differences between damage and their HP, as well as any buffs or debuffs they had running at the time. Personally, I think it's a much more handy way of doing these kinds of things mid-raid over checking a live log.

Engage Timer has a ton of settings that you can mess with, like changing the style of the countdown, but what I specifically use it for is the countdown timer floating window, which can help you more accurately start your prepull actions.

There's other types of raid tools out there, but these two are the ones I rely on the most (and the ones I miss the most when Dalamud is on an extended downtime).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I just got to Shadowbringers (the quest) and loving lmao that's the sob story for the guy everyone's been jizzing about?????????

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

goblin week posted:

I just got to Shadowbringers (the quest) and loving lmao that's the sob story for the guy everyone's been jizzing about?????????

*cocking shotgun* say that again to my face

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
For me that dialogue choice was a really cool bit because actually it caused me to do some reflection on my character's motivations and go "eh yeah you kinda got me!"; Then I did the smirk option. But I'm not someone who (at that time - kinda done it a bit since though only Extremes really which aren't so hard) particular does harder content: I wouldn't call myself a raider, I'm there for the story. For me it really resonated with some of the themes in DRK etc., and I liked that it was a chance to go "nah, you know what, I guess sometimes U actually do enjoy this job! gently caress it!"

This is tied up to my WoL's particular backstory though! Just chimed in real well with everything.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Indeed, let's switch the topic, who on earth would pick the "The Allagans were visionaries!" dialog choice?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

mikemil828 posted:

Indeed, let's switch the topic, who on earth would pick the "The Allagans were visionaries!" dialog choice?

They were! Visionaries in the fields of being completely awful and factually the worst ever.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Vermain posted:

*cocking shotgun* say that again to my face

I put my fingers in both barrels and it explodes in your face

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Hildibrand.png

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Failboattootoot posted:

They were! Visionaries in the fields of being completely awful and factually the worst ever.

Don't forget the Noble Prizes on War Crimes, Crimes Against Nature, and Mad Science.

That said (Allied EW tribes) Omicrons are a close second for inventing cryptocurrency in the FFXIV universe.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh, that reminds me, can players wear the Global Citizen visors? Is that equipment from anywhere or is it just the two of them?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, that reminds me, can players wear the Global Citizen visors? Is that equipment from anywhere or is it just the two of them?

It's not obtainable by players, no. I've wanted it ever since we saw them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

goblin week posted:

Pretty much! He's completely loving awful and irredeemable but because some people want to gently caress him, that all gets completely ignored.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
That's really funny to me because he outright states it'd be reverse bestiality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Pretty much! He's completely loving awful and irredeemable but because some people want to gently caress him, that all gets completely ignored.

I don't think that's true.