Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

these are my two all-time hard times favorites regarding the metal I primarily listen to

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/stoner-metal-fan-showed-sleep-study-disappointed-cooperative/

https://thehardtimes.net/music/stoner-metal-band-just-regular-metal-band-interviewing-jobs/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Musical subgenres seem way too complex and arbitrary for me to really understand.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
A lot of the guys arguing over subgenres can't even read music

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That's okay, Skwisgaar can't either.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just play any note, its old music school trick

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Metal subgenres always seemed pretty self explanatory to me, but one time I had a very sweet friend of mine try in good faith to teach me about subgenres of electronic music and now I assume that's what I sound like to other folks

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Das Boo posted:

Musical subgenres seem way too complex and arbitrary for me to really understand.

doom and stoner metal is literally a bunch of dudes trying to play sabbath riffs crunchier and slower than they've ever been played, or heavier than they have been played, or just making music that sounds heavy as gently caress

that's really all it is, that's the genre, it's just a bunch of old dudes smoking weed and playing crunchy riffs that sound good when you're stoned

tuning floor toms and snares to sound real empty is a big part of it, dopethrone is a good example of that

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I could explain the differences between country blues, Texas blues, Chicago blues, delta blues, Piedmont blues, etc, but nobody cares.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

they say everybody loves raymond but i dont know if i would call how i feel about him love

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wai9kq9kww

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

woke kaczynski posted:

Metal subgenres always seemed pretty self explanatory to me, but one time I had a very sweet friend of mine try in good faith to teach me about subgenres of electronic music and now I assume that's what I sound like to other folks

Friends are obsolete

https://music.ishkur.com/

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Greg12 posted:

I have never ever laughed at Seinfeld

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Growing up in the 90s, the only 'real' metal was determined by how many people it pissed off/how few people listened to it.

In time, a band could stop being 'real metal' if they got too popular.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Cosmik Debris posted:

I could explain the differences between country blues, Texas blues, Chicago blues, delta blues, Piedmont blues, etc, but nobody cares.

I do. :shobon:

I always find your effort posts about music totally fascinating.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
^^hell yeah, my sass aside I love learning new things about music :)

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Aww well that's sweet. Maybe later tonight when I have some time I'll do a brief writeup.

And I would like all you metal fans to know that while I don't care for metal music too terribly much personally, I do respect it as a genre, despite my protestations to the contrary. I'm just poo poo posting at the end of the day.

The guy who plays drums in my band is a huge metal head and it gives us a very unique sound, I know nothing about metal so I have to work out how to play prewar, finger style country blues type guitar on top of it. It's certainly interesting, even if it's not good.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Oh and I do love heavy metal's older, British cousin - late 60s, Hammond organ dominant prog rock.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Das Boo posted:

When I hear young people say something is *core I have to resist the urge to collapse into myself like a white dwarf planet.

There’s rap, r&b, country, rock and techno. Thats it dammit! :cloud:

Edit: and pop!

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 18, 2024

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cosmik Debris posted:

Oh and I do love heavy metal's older, British cousin - late 60s, Hammond organ dominant prog rock.

Oh, that sweet spot after all the white guy blooz bands but just before Sabbath. Cream's Disraeli Gears kinda straddles the fulcrum. Freakbeat starts to lean into it too

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Isn't core just metal but they don't use drugs or alcohol and are a bunch of vegan scolds?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Isn't core just metal but they don't use drugs or alcohol and are a bunch of vegan scolds?

I think that’s how it started. Now i hear ‘bro have you heard of mariocore’ and it’s some frantic adhd version of the Mario theme.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Part of me wishes I’d been more serious about learning music only because I want to be able to create new throwaway genres like that, like farmcore (a.k.a. thresh metal), which is 25% bluegrass/americana, 25% psychobilly, and the remaining 50% is a spectrum of ‘80s thrash, speed, and glam

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
I have never seen a mumblecore movie and I am 100% ok with that.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Cosmik Debris posted:

Oh yes top stuff, Deep Purple, early Yes, Tull etc. The silliest example being Atilla from 1970, a duo of just drums and young Billy Joel on organ.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If someone asks what type of music I like I usually just say "hip hop and guitar music" because saying subgenre stuff just sounds like annoying nonsense in the end to most people and makes them not really want to talk to you

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if someone said guitar music to me I would think they were weird

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Chrpno posted:

Oh yes top stuff, Deep Purple, early Yes, Tull etc. The silliest example being Atilla from 1970, a duo of just drums and young Billy Joel on organ.

Even better - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Perhaps one of my absolute favorite bands of all time. Almost completely unknown nowadays. Technically a one hit wonder, they broke big in 1968 with Fire. I've met so many people in my life who know a lot about prog, and not a single one of them has ever heard of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

Their eponymous 1968 album is one of the best albums ever made, imo. Listen to it all the way through - it's just amazing how good it is. And there's no guitar. Drums, bass, hammond, and string and horn arrangements. And it came out in June 1968, a month before Deep Purple's debut single, Hush (which not many people know is actually a cover).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlQLJri-a4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE

And their (only) full album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA-0vGlKBQ4

Dude's actually still alive and his voice is in tact despite being like 80. He started putting out albums again in around 2014 and they're actually really good. One of the few aging 60s musicians I think is still good.

I also really like Procol Harum. Yes, the whiter shade of pale band. Most people aren't aware they put out a string of like 4 extremely good albums.

Imagine forming a band, recording your debut single, and that single is Whiter Shade of Pale, one of the most successful singles in history. And then having to follow it up. So, yeah, most people have no idea they did anything else. But in fact they were arguably the first "real" prog band by todays standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmGaDL-mcs4

Also this song is sick, but it was actually off their first album, which came out in 1967, prior to The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQC7Kk4WOPU

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 18, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, how many of you can humble brag that a metal band shares your last name down to the exact spelling?

Honestly, It's pretty surreal to discover your family name is also a metal band.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

redshirt posted:

Seems natural though. Show's called "Seinfeld". He's a stand-up comedian. The show opens and closes (does it?) with his stand-up bits. Ergo, he's supposed to be funny.

Yeah but then you watch the show with your eyeballs

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Cosmik Debris posted:

I love the scene in “The Commitments” where the priest plays “Whiter Shade of Pale” on the church organ, and then later on, when the band is playing “Try a Little Tenderness”, right at the beginning Deco whispers “fandango”.

In short: I like Procol Harum.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Metal can be good. However, any in-depth discussion into the 5,000 minutely different genres of metal is not good.

It's like hearing people arguing about Pokemon... or trains.

Oh wait till you hear about the new death metal sub genre where the bands all have two singers, just guttural screaming about which pokemon and/or trains are better.

The Peppercorn A1 Pacific No. 60163 Death Orgy Massacre is easily my favorite song from that sub-genre. Didn't need to be 34 minutes though.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

dinahmoe posted:

I love the scene in “The Commitments” where the priest plays “Whiter Shade of Pale” on the church organ, and then later on, when the band is playing “Try a Little Tenderness”, right at the beginning Deco whispers “fandango”.

In short: I like Procol Harum.

oh you should scroll up 3 comments then!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, how many of you can humble brag that a metal band shares your last name down to the exact spelling?

Honestly, It's pretty surreal to discover your family name is also a metal band.
You mean like Dokken, Van Halen, or to a lesser extent Zenuff?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

stealie72 posted:

You mean like Dokken, Van Halen, or to a lesser extent Zenuff?

It’s an European Metal band. My last name is literally a European Metal Band. It’s very strange to be able to Google metal bands and see my surname.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 18, 2024

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cosmik Debris posted:

I also really like Procol Harum. Yes, the whiter shade of pale band. Most people aren't aware they put out a string of like 4 extremely good albums.

Live Conquistador is better than A Whiter Shade of Pale. I haven't been quite able to get into their other stuff, but I'm just now being able to fully appreciate Jethro Tull so maybe I'll get there.

Strawbs are another favorite of mine from that era. They start folk proggish and then got more mainstream by the middle of the 1970s. The Strawbs have a young (and restrained) Rick Wakeman, though Dave Cousins did get pissed off at him for playing an organ with a paint roller on this TV performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDDy6qXIWC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqhnoFu8urc

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

It’s an European Metal band. My last name is literally a European Metal Band. It’s very strange to be able to Google metal bands and see my surname.
Wait, are you Charles Maniac Butcher of the Gerrards Cross Maniac Butchers?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Look at Billy Gorgoroth with the humble bragging over here

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Whatever, Pnurtis Clitgore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Metal is the musical equivalent of pro wrestling.