Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bunch of insurrectionists are invading the state capitol tomorrow
https://twitter.com/RenzoDowney/status/1747737512355717199

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

elentar posted:

still can’t believe the Braves got Iglesias for Tucker Davidson and one month of Jesse Chavez

The greatest part of that trade was the Braves immediately re-signing Uncle Jesse after he sucked and got released before September, and then he went back to being pretty decent.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

mcmagic posted:

Even good ones. You can pretty much find good RPs off the scrap heap all the time. I don't see the point in paying one that much.

Yeah, the problem with good relievers is that how often turn into bad relievers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And how quickly

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bradzilla posted:

Amazon is bailing out diamond and will become the exclusive streaming provider for the Twins, Tigers, Royals, Marlins and Rays. gently caress this.

https://nypost-com.cdn.ampproject.o...eams-sources%2F

Are you loving kidding me? Now this poo poo is infecting MLB?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
At least they have a streaming app that works

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
This is the year I’m ditching h mlb.tv. With all these weird exclusives and blackouts it’s just easier to set sail and airplay the game to my TV at better than the 720p I’d get from the poo poo rear end app anyway.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

One of the Nevada state senators who took a bribe from the A's to vote yes on the stadium deal has the last name of Donate. :lol:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Bunch of insurrectionists are invading the state capitol tomorrow
https://twitter.com/RenzoDowney/status/1747737512355717199

They are Abbott's team after all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Speaking of the A's, they are still going to have to figure out where to play for like 3 years between the end of next season and the opening of the LV stadium. There are also issues because if they go to a place like Sacramento, they would endanger their existing TV deal. So the current options are an extension of the Coliseum lease (probably not happening but possible), sharing the Giants' stadium, playing in LV at their AAA team's stadium, or playing in Sacramento where the Giants' AAA team is.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/sacramento-among-potential-home-venues-for-as-in-2025.html

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Well Played Mauer posted:

This is the year I’m ditching h mlb.tv. With all these weird exclusives and blackouts it’s just easier to set sail and airplay the game to my TV at better than the 720p I’d get from the poo poo rear end app anyway.

regular plug for the audio feed tier, no blackouts, usually multiple feeds, and baseball still just really works on radio (unless your team is stuck with a lovely crew; even then worth it to listen to the others)

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I watched A Few Good Men last night and in the famous court scene with Jack Nicholson all I can see is John Gibbons.

Well, thats all, seeya!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I watched A Few Good Men last night and in the famous court scene with Jack Nicholson all I can see is John Gibbons.

Well, thats all, seeya!

Tom Cruise crushing grounders as hard as he can for his JAG softball practice will always be funny to me.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Well Played Mauer posted:

The audio subscription is cheap as gently caress and well worth it imo.

I think I like listening to baseball as much as watching it, especially with certain crews. I wouldn't give a poo poo about Philly but Larry Anderson has me basically a fan.

E: fb

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/suntimes/status/1747790851630063696?s=46

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That article definitely reads a lot like lol no this won't actually happen.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Oh thank god if Amazon is taking over the MLB teams that Ballys has streaming rights over. It’s like 20 bucks a month and the app was garbage. So bad I just cancelled, stopped watching, and either put it on the radio or watched highlights of the game after.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Reinsdorf is claiming he wants to do it because the Sox season was so miserable that he's now committed to doing something good for the team (lol), but much more likely he's taking the Fisher route of trying to pump up the value of the team with a shiny new stadium before cashing out. He's ancient and by all accounts his kids have no real interest in running the Sox so might as well start laying the groundwork for a sale. If it happens Chicago better not give him a goddamn nickle for it though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Reinsdorf is not going to spend a dime of his own money to move anywhere, this is just a ploy to get the state to somehow pay him more money for The Grate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Reinsdorf is not going to spend a dime of his own money to move anywhere, this is just a ploy to get the state to somehow pay him more money for The Grate.

Exactly. This is the exact same ploy as back in the '80s. For those not familiar with Jerry Reinsdorf and his bullshit, back in the mid- to late 1980s, Reinsdorf was at loggerheads with the City of Chicago regarding tax credits and other public funding for the new Comiskey Park. Both sides were pretty solidly entrenched, so Reinsdorf got together with some of his and George Steinbrenner's real estate buddies in Florida; those guys pressured the government of St. Petersburg to eventually say, "Hell, yeah, we'll gladly welcome the White Sox if Chicago doesn't want them! poo poo, we'll start building a stadium right now!" So construction began on the Trop in St. Pete without any agreement with the White Sox to move there, and expansion was still a twinkle in the eye of MLB at that point. Ultimately, Chicago and the State of Illinois blinked and gave Reinsdorf the money he wanted for New Comiskey. So St. Petersburg got completely pantsed by Reinsdorf--who never had any intention of leaving Chicago, he just hated Mayor Daley and wanted to give him a panic attack--and the Trop sat largely empty for almost a decade, outside of Lightning games and concerts.

All of this is just posturing so Reinsdorf gets money for renovations and new amenities added to whatever the hell they call the White Sox park now, because he's jealous of the Wrigley Field mallpark environment and wants to drive up the value of the team when it inevitably gets sold after he carks it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Reinsdorf would never do anything for the people unless it enriches himself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Chicago has been pretty good about telling teams to buzz off when they ask for money. See the Cubs renovations and Bears fleeing to Arlington Heights for recent examples. I doubt the Sox will get anything and this will go nowhere.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

Speaking of the A's, they are still going to have to figure out where to play for like 3 years between the end of next season and the opening of the LV stadium. There are also issues because if they go to a place like Sacramento, they would endanger their existing TV deal. So the current options are an extension of the Coliseum lease (probably not happening but possible), sharing the Giants' stadium, playing in LV at their AAA team's stadium, or playing in Sacramento where the Giants' AAA team is.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/sacramento-among-potential-home-venues-for-as-in-2025.html

Comedy fifth option-gently caress it, ooops, all road games barnstorming year. It isn't like they were breaking (good) attendance records the last couple years.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Chicago has been pretty good about telling teams to buzz off when they ask for money. See the Cubs renovations and Bears fleeing to Arlington Heights for recent examples. I doubt the Sox will get anything and this will go nowhere.
The Bears are pulling the urban-flight move? Isn't Soldier Field pretty modern after renovations? And of course well located on the waterfront near transit.

Godamnit everything is so stupid

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

The Bears are pulling the urban-flight move? Isn't Soldier Field pretty modern after renovations? And of course well located on the waterfront near transit.

Soldier Field sucks rear end and it is horrible to get to lol

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

bawfuls posted:

I think the consensus is that the Soldier Field renovation was a failure.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's wild, why does it suck? It looks like a nice modern stadium on tv. I guess it's just a little too far south to be easy to get to on transit?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

That's wild, why does it suck? It looks like a nice modern stadium on tv. I guess it's just a little too far south to be easy to get to on transit?

It's about a mile from the nearest loop L station and you have to walk through a series of tunnels by the Field Museum to get there, it's also a small stadium. The owners don't like it because it's owned by the city and they can't do anything without park district approval and they don't have eboguh in their mind fancy luxury suites. The renovations on top of the old stadium make it look like a giant toilet.

It's bullshit they want to go to the suburbs, and Arlington Heights will be a traffic nightmare, and teams should play in the loving city they are named after, but soldier field is kind of lovely.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

It's not TOO bad to get to on transit. The trains can't get closer to the stadium because all that lakefront land is fake (Grant Park is literally built on debris from the Chicago Fire). It's a combination of a slight hike and how much of the NFL season happens during Chicago winter, heh. The location means that foot traffic in and out is very slow, and for the cost of a ticket you could much more easily just throw a nice party for your friends.

Also you have to watch the Bears play when you go there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It isn't an easy location to get to via public transit. It's bottlenecked for traffic with really only one route (Lake Shore Drive) which makes driving to/from a pain.

I want the Bears to stay downtown but it is pretty much a done deal they are moving to Arlington Heights.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
but as it pertains to the White Sox, the rest of the city's teams will throw an absolute shitfit if Reinsdorf gets any public financing for this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

Smallest capacity in the NFL, getting to and from is an utter nightmare, the Bears hate being there because they don't get any revenue from the parking lots but they have a sweetheart lease and pay only $6.4 million a year to Chicago Parks to use the stadium.

They paid $120-something million for the Arlington Heights racetrack property, and it was clear they wanted to build there, but they're running into fierce opposition over a tax levy on the school district that would fund construction. So they've gone back hat-in-hand to the City of Chicago about possibly re-developing the Soldier Field parking lots into a new stadium (that would be taxpayer-funded, of course).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
The Naperville White Sox

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Not enough luxury boxes is very funny, owners never have enough luxury boxes for their liking.

Maybe it works better for MLS when you can have a pleasant summer walk from the train?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I use to sail out of Burnham Harbor in the summers which is right next to Soldier Field and taking the L train and walking thru Millenial park was nice but yeah I can imagine in the winters people would prefer a more direct route and thus end up driving.

There's also a bunch of museums and parks in the area which gets a lot of traffic so the area in general is pretty congested for driving.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Poque posted:

lol

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

For as lovely as the grass at Soldier Field is during a football season I can only imagine how wrecked it would be for a baseball season. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad since the grass could actually grow on off days.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Timby posted:

Smallest capacity in the NFL, getting to and from is an utter nightmare, the Bears hate being there because they don't get any revenue from the parking lots but they have a sweetheart lease and pay only $6.4 million a year to Chicago Parks to use the stadium.

They paid $120-something million for the Arlington Heights racetrack property, and it was clear they wanted to build there, but they're running into fierce opposition over a tax levy on the school district that would fund construction. So they've gone back hat-in-hand to the City of Chicago about possibly re-developing the Soldier Field parking lots into a new stadium (that would be taxpayer-funded, of course).

Holy poo poo, I had no idea the Trop was just part of a scam

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

This is the biggest problem and unfortunately no new stadium will fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Red posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea the Trop was just part of a scam

Really quite impressive on Reinsdorf's part. He never, ever had any intention of moving the White Sox to Florida, but he was playing the world's biggest game of chicken against Mayor Daley and the City of Chicago. So all he and Steinbrenner had to do was lean on some of their buddies in Tampa Bay / St. Pete, who had the ear of the city and county governments, and, boom, the minute they designed the Trop and announced plans to break ground, Chicago and the State of Illinois folded like a house of cards and gave Reinsdorf everything he wanted for New Comiskey.