Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Koopa Kid posted:

Ah ok I gotcha. I don’t think it’s that surprising, a very public spat with the front office leading to an overly rich contract and then not just underperforming but looking and sounding bad on and off the ice in chronic playoff exits. This market also doesn’t embrace small passers as a rule, if Marner could throw a check and dropped em once a year he’d be unimpeachable in this town

e: for example, think about how Flames fans turned on Gaudreau, pretty similar imo

we turned on him because he left for a different poo poo hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol the Metro rules.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

mennoknight posted:

we turned on him because he left for a different poo poo hole

I was more thinking of the flack he got for his 0 goals across two different series, but he did eventually redeem himself before pissing everyone in Calgary off for another reason yeah

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

mcmagic posted:

This is blatantly obvious to everyone.

Yeah it's gonna rule when they trade him to the Bruins for a plug with intangibles.

I know Haula has been good for the Devils but it's crazy that's all Boston had to give up for Zacha.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't watch the Devils all that much, maybe a game every week or so, but Holtz feels like one of those guys who gets traded because the coach doesn't like him or whatever and then turns into a really good player somewhere else. I'm not basing this on anything other than vibes, but it's what I believe.

I feel like this doesn't happen as much as you'd expect because the thing is those guys can get trapped into a vicious cycle where whatever caused Lindy Ruff to sour on him also triggers his new coach and he ends up in the doghouse after a couple months in his new spot. And then the whole chain of coaches acting the same way (because surprise, they all came up in the same culture and were trained by the same people) serves to retroactively justify the decisions of the previous coaches in the chain.

**this is similar to the phenomenon of the "fresh start" for the troubled prospect with a new coaching staff that never seems to work out in the end.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 18, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah it's gonna rule when they trade him to the Bruins for a plug with intangibles.

I know Haula has been good for the Devils but it's crazy that's all Boston had to give up for Zacha.

Zacha was never going to be anything more than mid for the Devils.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Can teams trade coaches mid season? Keefe for Sullivan please

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think y'all legit are forgetting how good a GM Fitzgerald has been. He is not giving Holtz away for a plugger and has publicly declared him a core untraceable piece. Ruff has had his issues with his all around game but Holtz is on a 20+ goal 40+ points pace playing bottom six minutes as a 21 year old

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Sometimes it can be rough in the first year in a new system. Graves also seems incredibly dumb as a hockey player so perhaps it will take him time to adjust. That's the glass half full take anyhow.

Chychrun would be great but even if Dubas wanted him there's no way he's got the cap space to make it happen unless they decide to trade Guentzel which I don't see them doing with a playoff spot on the line.

Graves makes 4.5 and Chychrun makes 4.6. another random roster player and a 2nd or whatever who cares. Transfer silly season is go.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I know they’ve played two more games but it’s incredibly funny to see the Red Wings ahead of the Leafs in the standings at this point of the season

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

I think y'all legit are forgetting how good a GM Fitzgerald has been. He is not giving Holtz away for a plugger and has publicly declared him a core untraceable piece. Ruff has had his issues with his all around game but Holtz is on a 20+ goal 40+ points pace playing bottom six minutes as a 21 year old

They are REALLY struggling to score goals right now with Hughes and Dougie being out that they can't tolerate this poo poo that is going on with Holtz. He's playing with AHLers and he's one of the few most talented players offensively on the team.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Arabian Jesus posted:

Absolutely not. He's ours.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bard Maddox posted:

I know they’ve played two more games but it’s incredibly funny to see the Red Wings ahead of the Leafs in the standings at this point of the season

I'm not amused. We're suffering and you're laughing?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Arabian Jesus posted:

The Nordiques traded coach Michel Bergeron to the Rangers once for a 1st round pick + cash iirc

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I'm not amused. We're suffering and you're laughing?

I'm sorry that I cannot relate to this since my favorite team has more regulation wins than the 2023-24 Buffalo Sabres

Another Bill posted:

The Nordiques traded coach Michel Bergeron to the Rangers once for a 1st round pick + cash iirc

I think that they formally eliminated giving up compensation for coaches and executives a few years back. but I don't know if you could just straight up swap the coaches? the NHL probably has some arcane bylaw prohibiting it though

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-compensation-coaches-eliminate-1.3355929

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Sometimes it can be rough in the first year in a new system. Graves also seems incredibly dumb as a hockey player so perhaps it will take him time to adjust. That's the glass half full take anyhow.

Chychrun would be great but even if Dubas wanted him there's no way he's got the cap space to make it happen unless they decide to trade Guentzel which I don't see them doing with a playoff spot on the line.
I haven't seen him play very much since his trade to New Jersey, but in Colorado he was very much the guy who picked up the pieces, and did the dirty work to let the stars do their thing, and he excelled at that. I would expect him to have a similar role in Pittsburgh, and if it's not working my first guess would be that the problem is something, or someone else.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
why is hughes out again I haven't been paying much attention to hockey

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
hunger strike until noah hanifin and jakob markstrom come to town

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

mennoknight posted:

hunger strike until noah hanifin and jakob markstrom come to town

seems legit

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

He's played with both Letang and EK. When paired with either all of the numbers tanked. He's The worst xG in the D core (amongst NHLers. Shea and Ludvig are AHL at best), but 'looks' good on paper because the goalies are posting a .945 behind him. He's a step slow in everything the system demands and takes too long to process the decisions required. In NJ he was paired with John Marino...a player Pens fans know super well who excels at hard carrying his partners and doing a lot of the complicated things for them. This isn't to say Graves is incapable at the NHL level but he is an awful fit for the Pens. I will grant that NJ and CO both have significantly younger and faster line ups than the Pens do which, likely, helped Graves not be as exposed as he is in Pittsburgh. However, his decision making and skills in the offensive zone leave a lot to be desired and his capability in turning defense into a zone exit does as well. Unfortunately, PoJ got a very vague look into the 2nd pairing and got scored on a whole lot. Graves has also been diabolical on the PK. MP, Rud, and Letang all average 3 to 4.5 goals against per 60. Graves is 8.5 ga/60. If and How the Pens deal with the 2nd half of their 2nd pair will dictate a huge amount of their season.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It's funny that two pretty good teams in Colorado and NJ both decided to dump Ryan Graves and Pittsburgh somehow didn't take the hint that he was poo poo.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't think the Devils really dumped him, they just had Siegenthaler and Luke Hughes locked in on the left side for a while, and Bahl as a pretty good third pair option on the cheap.

Not that it has worked out especially well for the Devils, Siegenthaler has been poo poo this year

so has Marino!

(and Bahl for that matter, the only player worth anything on the Devils left side this year has been Luke). Three of their top four d-men when healthy are righties, and their best prospect is a righty.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 18, 2024

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It's actually somewhat annoying how bad Pittsburgh is given that their core is still plenty good enough.

Like I feel that Washington is pretty much locked into their lovely core and that MacLellan is doing all he can to polish a turd (Tom Wilson re-signing aside). Meanwhile Pittsburgh still has a relatively cheap and productive core but somehow keeps signing the shittiest complementary pieces possible. There's no reason that team shouldn't be in solid playoff position with how good Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Karlsson are playing.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I don't think the Devils really dumped him, they just had Siegenthaler and Luke Hughes locked in on the left side for a while, and Bahl as a pretty good third pair option on the cheap.

Not that it has worked out especially well for the Devils, Siegenthaler has been poo poo this year

so has Marino!

(and Bahl for that matter, the only player worth anything on the Devils left side this year has been Luke).

Fair. But to my point they did decide Graves was expendable.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The stats/eyes seem to say he's just about a wash at even strength

but short-handed with Ruhwedel he is loving abysmal
granted the PK strategy has long been "let them take low danger shots from the outside" so it's hard to tell how much is just that PK being bad and how much of it is very stupid coaching

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

Graves was also traded from Colorado because of the Seattle expansion draft and not being able to protect him ahead of Makar, Toews and Girard. he did always fit pretty well in the Avs' system

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Absolutely not. He's ours.

Keefe will be coaching the Penguins next season. You might as well make your peace with it now.

Graves is going to be a good value for some team that takes him off the Pens' hands for free with the Pens eating some of the contract. He's just the latest and greatest in a series of exhibits that Sullivan doesn't actually understand why his system works.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I would appreciate the Oilers poo poo housing the Kraken tonight

And the Leafs losing would be funny to me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We should have signed Gustafsson

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I was curious and watched some game highlights on YouTube. Now granted highlights tend to be biased towards defensive breakdowns, and I have no idea how things look normally. But, from what I've seen Graves isn't the problem.

The three big things I see are a forward group that just isn't even in the picture when it comes to team defense. I don't know if they are slow or disinterested, or what, but they just ain't there.

Then you have 3 defensemen in Letang, Pettersson and Karlsson skating some real dubious decision making. I understand that you might live with it with Karlsson and Letang, but that Letang-Pettersson pairing looks unplayable.

The other thing I see is that you have a lot of dudes just throwing blind cross-ice passes. It's really kind of weird because the Penguins play pretty compressed. There shouldn't be any expectation that anybody would be wide to pick up the pass.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh Sullivan loves him a cross ice pass or drop pass at the blue line

That poo poo is like cake for him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Any highlight compilation of goals scored against the Penguins is going to be a total gong show. The system is designed to drive possession and create high danger chances at the expense of accepting that you're going to allow some high danger chances because the defensemen move so aggressively up the ice. But between the violenceaggression inherent in the system and how old and slow most of their players are, the Pens allow a lot of really comical 3-on-1s and poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Graves makes 4.5 and Chychrun makes 4.6. another random roster player and a 2nd or whatever who cares. Transfer silly season is go.

Dubas isn't going to trade someone he just signed to a deal. Graves has a modified ntc with 12 teams on it anyhow.

Mind_Taker posted:

It's actually somewhat annoying how bad Pittsburgh is given that their core is still plenty good enough.

Like I feel that Washington is pretty much locked into their lovely core and that MacLellan is doing all he can to polish a turd (Tom Wilson re-signing aside). Meanwhile Pittsburgh still has a relatively cheap and productive core but somehow keeps signing the shittiest complementary pieces possible. There's no reason that team shouldn't be in solid playoff position with how good Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Karlsson are playing.

Imo Dubas did a pretty decent job this off season. Graves was a swing and a miss, but Eller has been good, Ned has been good. Jarry being re-signed looks like (for now) to have been the right move. Acciari has been ok. Nieto kinda sucked but whatever he's a nothing signing. EK was a great move even if the pp somehow still sucks even with him.

Also on paper they do seem to be the 4th (or maybe 5th if you like the Flyers more) best team in the Metro. That hasn't quite played out that way yet in the standings but if these underlying numbers for all the teams stay the same it should by the end of the year. Although hockey being hockey sometimes it just doesn't happen.

It will be unfortunate if they miss the playoffs this year because this might be the last great year Sid has. He's been an absolute beast this season and is trying to hulk them into a playoff spot. But with him turning 37 next year surely even he is going to decline at some point, hockey robot though he is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

EK won't look like such a great move when they miss the playoffs anyway and then give their top-3 pick in 2025 to the Sharks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

EK won't look like such a great move when they miss the playoffs anyway and then give their top-3 pick in 2025 to the Sharks.

If they miss the playoffs this year they would just give their pick to San Jose unless they ended up in the top 10.

And if they do miss the playoffs that seems like the most likely route for their pick unless they win the lottery and if they win the lottery I wouldn't give a poo poo if SJ got pick 2025.

e: I'm actually less worried about the pick than I am about Guentzel. I would hate to miss the playoffs and have Jake walk for nothing or even make the playoffs and have to suffer the same after a first round exit or whatever. I have a feeling they will keep him either way unless they free fall between now and the deadline.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Eastern Conference is such a hilarious clusterfuck. 7 team battle royale for the last 3 playoff spots, and that's assuming the Flyers and Hurricanes both stay safely above it and the Habs stay safely below it.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Eastern Conference is such a hilarious clusterfuck. 7 team battle royale for the last 3 playoff spots, and that's assuming the Flyers and Hurricanes both stay safely above it and the Habs stay safely below it.

It has apparently been a while since I looked at the metro standings because I was not expecting that at all when I looked at it.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I do think that after watching a number of 0 fucks given plays by Crosby, that I've come around and agree with Penguins fans. They need to shake things up, and should fire Sullivan.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Crosby is 36 and like basically every 19 year veteran forward ever has stopped playing defense because (1) he only has the energy for one or the other and it is better concentrated on offense, and (2) playing defense would get him injured.

He was always a very good defensive forward so it sucks and definitely a part of the team's struggles with not giving up odd man rushes, but it is what it is

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Interesting stuff from Eiserman:

https://twitter.com/DavidSt_Louis/status/1748077970994946373

He also has 14 goals in 12 games in the USHL, so there's that.