Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

webmeister posted:

Reading through the camp ledger is always hilarious for this. Two pages of Arthur donating skins, carcasses, cash etc, then you get:

Bill: 21c
Lenny: 3x quills, 1x gator tooth
Sean: 1* frog carcass

I love when Bill makes a point of repeating loudly to Pearson about the meat he just brought to camp and Pearson just sighs and asks him acidly,"Did you want me to repeat my thank you louder so everybody else can hear? :rolleyes:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Hey Pearson, here’s three wolf livers and four beaver anuses

Thanks, we were getting low

:dogstare:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Whoa, a whole squirrel? You spoil us

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And Micah always makes a real big racket of putting money in the box.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just reached the beginning of the Epilogue but had to call it since it was getting super late.

Is there anyone who seriously chose to go back for the money instead of helping John escape? You'd have to be a seriously greedy bastard to take it that far.

E: also, after checking all of the low/high honor differences, it's really fitting that I played my Arthur as a pitiless murdering bastard in the beginning, but after the tuberculosis diagnosis I had a change of heart and tried being more generous and helping people out and went from near bottom low honor to good enough high honor for the ending.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 17, 2024

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I just reached the beginning of the Epilogue but had to call it since it was getting super late.

Is there anyone who seriously chose to go back for the money instead of helping John escape? You'd have to be a seriously greedy bastard to take it that far.

I did my first time playing through the game. My logic was John was going to make it anyway because he shows up in RDR so I'll go back and get the money and I might be able to give it to him later. I didn't know that that was the last mission.

I know a bunch of people here have said they like it because Arthur slahes Micah's eye so he gets to get some sort of revenge on him before dying

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Be honest, how much did you cry when your horse died?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
So much.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

webmeister posted:

Ghost of Tsushima was worse though. RIP Kage

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

webmeister posted:

I had recently bought a new horse so it didn’t quite hit as intended lol

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

First time I finished the game I had been given Buell literally right before the last mission. Saw Arthur weeping over this big ugly dope he'd spent all of 2 hours with.

Second time I made sure to keep my White Arabian throughout the entire game so I'd have her at the end, but forgot there was a gunfight between her getting shot and the goodbye cutscene, and I thought I'd missed it. Reloading from the autosave started me at the start of the gunfight, but now she was replaced with a random horse corpse and there was no cutscene. :rip:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

webmeister posted:

Yeah, yeah. I teared up, especially when Arthur said "Thank you."

White Lightning is off eating hay in heaven now. She was a good girl. Sorry for colliding with so many trees. :smith:

E:

AlbertFlasher posted:

I know a bunch of people here have said they like it because Arthur slahes Micah's eye so he gets to get some sort of revenge on him before dying

I did in a meta sort of way in a mission or two prior since I intentionally threw a fire bottle at him before riding off with Bill. I failed the mission because of it, but it was worth it. gently caress you, Micah.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 18, 2024

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
loving with Micah in missions is everyone’s duty and responsibility

I have blown that motherfucker up and lit him on fire with bottles so many times, and it keeps getting funnier, every single time I see it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

webmeister posted:

GAMMY I'M SORRY I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN! :gonk:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
God, it's so depressing wandering around old places as John knowing that Arthur is dead and gone now. :smith:

The Wapiti Indian Reservation is especially depressing. gently caress Dutch.

e: I just went to Arthur's grave and fired a shot in the air to salute him. I can't believe I'm feeling grief for a video game character, but here we are.

e2: Not sure if I should be spoiler tagging trivial Epilogue content, but I'll do it just to be safe:

What haircut style should I use to replicate John's look from RDR1? I felt weird doing ranch chores as John and seeing him grow a beehive beard, but once he changed clothes and I got him a haircut, I was like "that's the John I remember!" Hearing the Willie Nelson country song kick off as I was finally encouraged by the game to go explore with my old guns back was both funny and a relief.

I always went pomade + full beard 3 for Arthur, but pomade on John looks kinda off. I think I prefer left-part fade + beard 3 on him.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 18, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

God, it's so depressing wandering around old places as John knowing that Arthur is dead and gone now. :smith:

e: I just went to Arthur's grave and fired a shot in the air to salute him. I can't believe I'm feeling grief for a video game character, but here we are.

e2: Not sure if I should be spoiler tagging trivial Epilogue content, but I'll do it just to be safe:

What haircut style should I use to replicate John's look from RDR1? I felt weird doing ranch chores as John and seeing him grow a beehive beard, but once he changed clothes and I got him a haircut, I was like "that's the John I remember!" Hearing the Willie Nelson country song kick off as I was finally encouraged by the game to go explore with my old guns back was both funny and a relief.

I always went pomade + full beard 3 for Arthur, but pomade on John looks kinda off. I think I prefer left-part fade + beard 3 on him.

Oh man, how good was it when you heard the music when John rides at night at the ranch? i remember that getting the biggest loving grin out of me when all of the stuff from RDR came back to me. "oh gently caress yeah i forgot that John is just as loving cool as Arthur!"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Oh man, how good was it when you heard the music when John rides at night at the ranch? i remember that getting the biggest loving grin out of me when all of the stuff from RDR came back to me. "oh gently caress yeah i forgot that John is just as loving cool as Arthur!"

To be honest, I still prefer Arthur, he's a real man's man among cowboys. Also, for most of Epilogue Part I I was still mourning the loss of Arthur. Still, when John switched into his traditional cowboy clothes and that song started playing, that's when I was like "Yep, I can still dig John".

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I went with facial hair 2 (the lightest stubble) and the second-longest hair, right parted. That combined with his classic hat made him really feel like John to me.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I can never get over how happy Arthur sounds when you lasso someone and he goes "Fish on tha liiiine" it loving cracks me up every time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

webmeister posted:

I’ll never forget my first, best horse. Johnnie Utah. loving Micah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Having never played the original game because of Rockstar's abject cowardice, I didn't have any real connection to John but I came to like him by the time the epilogue ended, still wish I could have stayed as Arthur though. My mother, who has played more of this game than me or anybody in this thread (:stare:) detests him and regrets finishing the main game and having to play as him instead of Arthur.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Don’t worry, this playlist catalogues the canonical Arthur Morgan story wherein he completes all the challenges in Act 2 and lives a happy life with Micah in jail and no tuberculosis

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jerusalem posted:

Having never played the original game because of Rockstar's abject cowardice, I didn't have any real connection to John but I came to like him by the time the epilogue ended, still wish I could have stayed as Arthur though. My mother, who has played more of this game than me or anybody in this thread (:stare:) detests him and regrets finishing the main game and having to play as him instead of Arthur.

The epilogue is basically one giant fanservice to fans of that game so if she never played the first game I can see why she wouldn't like it.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 19, 2024

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

With the first part above, you can visit the graves of all ten fallen companions. There’s even an achievement for doing so! I’d look the locations up online though

All three playthroughs, I’ve gravitated to Arthur with a huge bushy moustache and long-ish hair. Seeing other people have crew cuts or long beards always makes me do a double-take.

vv thanks

webmeister fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 19, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

webmeister posted:

With the first part above, you can visit the graves of all ten fallen companions. There’s even an achievement for doing so! I’d look the locations up online though

All three playthroughs, I’ve gravitated to Arthur with a huge bushy moustache and long-ish hair. Seeing other people have crew cuts or long beards always makes me do a double-take.

FYI the spoiler tag in the quote is broken, so you may want to fix that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
When is the conversation with the Sister/Mother Superior at the train station supposed to occur? I saw a reaction video that showed Arthur meeting her after helping Captain Monroe leave town, but I guess that never triggered for me? :confused: I did all of the side quests for Dorkins and the Sister in St Denis before so I don't know why that scene never came up. It's a shame, too, because it looks pretty emotional.

Does it only come up if you have high honor? That might be it since I think I only crossed the high honor threshold right before the ending.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah you need high honour for her to show up during that mission (Fine Art of Conversation) - otherwise Reverend Swanson is there instead

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

webmeister posted:

Yeah you need high honour for her to show up during that mission (Fine Art of Conversation) - otherwise Reverend Swanson is there instead

Huh, no way! Man, this game will never stop surprising me

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I played RDR1 at launch, several times since, would re-buy it the second it hit PC if it would, and big same re: playing as John instead of Arthur. gently caress, it takes all my strength to do the mission where he catches TB and I don't even want to play as Ch.6 Arthur. Dutch and Micah can go gently caress themselves

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I played RDR1 at launch, several times since, would re-buy it the second it hit PC if it would, and big same re: playing as John instead of Arthur. gently caress, it takes all my strength to do the mission where he catches TB and I don't even want to play as Ch.6 Arthur. Dutch and Micah can go gently caress themselves

You can "technically" play RDR1 on PC these days - I think the 360/PS3 emulators do a pretty good job. You can even use a Switch emulator to play that version as well iirc

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Holy poo poo, I'm playing as John and for some reason the Chain Gang sidequest started over in Rhodes, so I started that. I popped into the general store randomly, and who would be there but Mr. Pearson! It for real felt like bumping into an old friend somewhere. I have to give this game credit - it really evokes feelings where you least expect it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm playing as John and for some reason the Chain Gang sidequest started over in Rhodes, so I started that. I popped into the general store randomly, and who would be there but Mr. Pearson! It for real felt like bumping into an old friend somewhere. I have to give this game credit - it really evokes feelings where you least expect it.

That sidequest restarting happened to me too, I was very thrown. At first I thought it was "drat, these guys have found themselves back in the same situation" like a callback bookend to the quest, but no it was just completely reset.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
still cant believe arthurs voice actor is bloody Irish

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

No wonder Dutch doesn’t trust him

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

webmeister posted:

I actually forgot to meet the nun so I met Swanson despite having maxxed honor lol, apparently there's three ways that can go: high honor Swanson, low honor Swanson, or the nun. This game is so overstuffed with little variations on stuff like that and camp conversations/etc I literally don't think anyone's ever managed to see it all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I was so disappointed that both my complete playthroughs of the game didn't properly trigger the first meeting/conversation between John/Pearson in Rhodes. The second playthrough did at least include some incidental "Hey John! It's me, Pearson!" dialogue, but the first one it took several visits to the shop for him to actually have a conversation beyond just selling things, and it just seemed to assume they'd already had the initial reunion conversation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

webmeister posted:

You can "technically" play RDR1 on PC these days - I think the 360/PS3 emulators do a pretty good job. You can even use a Switch emulator to play that version as well iirc

as much as they don't need the money, it's not really an issue of being able to play on PC, it's more the point of buying the game to support the port of it and what message that would send as a collective audience.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, I reached the end credits. That was a hell of an experience, still miss Arthur though.

And holy poo poo I'm rich now. What should I do? Go for 100% completion or try out Red Dead Online? Some side missions are still grayed out, though, like the Ties That Bind Us and the Marko Dragic bouncing boy one. I dunno if it's possible to actually continue those side quests now.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Well, I reached the end credits. That was a hell of an experience, still miss Arthur though.

And holy poo poo I'm rich now. What should I do? Go for 100% completion or try out Red Dead Online? Some side missions are still grayed out, though, like the Ties That Bind Us and the Marko Dragic bouncing boy one. I dunno if it's possible to actually continue those side quests now.

do the animal collection thing. and then find the squirell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If you're gonna do the animal collection quest and are on PC, please get this mod to save on some tedium. It makes it so you can get clean kills on most small game with the varmint rifle (among other things).