Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If this were like, just some random rich guy and his dipshit attorney, she would be in deeper waters than this. Like that is some bar-referral type stuff.

Kaplan is going to let almost anything happen because he kinda has to.

Edit: if she knows better and is play-acting, that's much worse and Kaplan needs to sort that out ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mdemone posted:

If this were like, just some random rich guy and his dipshit attorney, she would be in deeper waters than this. Like that is some bar-referral type stuff.

Kaplan is going to let almost anything happen because he kinda has to.

Edit: if she knows better and is play-acting, that's much worse and Kaplan needs to sort that out ASAP

She's already almost certainly going to be disbarred for that other thing she did, -convince a trump employee who was suing trump to make the her, the employees lawyer then totally screw her over- so it's not like the bar can do much more at this point.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

dr_rat posted:

She's already almost certainly going to be disbarred for that other thing she did, -convince a trump employee who was suing trump to make the her, the employees lawyer then totally screw her over- so it's not like the bar can do much more at this point.

Wait, what?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What the gently caress are they even going over in that trial? He was convicted of doing the thing, convicted of liable, walked outside and on tape said the exact same illegal thing.

How does any tweet at all come into play for the defense here?

He's already been found to have sexually assaulted her and lied about it, so this is basically just about the damages that Trump owes.

Habba is trying to limit the damages by arguing that the harassment isn't (entirely) Donald's fault and actually the hate that Carroll got wasn't as bad as she's saying.

If Carroll got threats and hate before Donald actually spoke out (because Donald's fans leapt to attack a critic unprompted) then the implication is that at least some of the hate isn't Donald's fault. I mean that's BS but that's the argument.

Similarly, they're arguing that Carroll's statements about getting a lot of support and not being scared means that she's overstating how bad things were. I mean obviously supportive messages don't cancel out threats and hate, and as Carroll explained, a lot of the "no I'm not scared" stuff was to keep friends from worrying about her.

Cimber posted:

Wait, what?

A waitress at Trump Bedminster complained about getting sexually harassed by her boss (not Trump, a 50-something manager-creep), including being coerced into sex for job security. Alina Habba approached her, pretending to be neutral and sympathetic, convinced her to fire her lawyer, and then helped her "negotiate" an incredibly lovely NDA for a tiny amount of money. This is obviously wildly unethical (because she's claiming to be neutral when she's trying to help Trump) and plausibly could cost her her law license.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 18, 2024

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Cimber posted:

Wait, what?

I'll let legal eagle explain it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KvoIDkEsiw

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cimber posted:

Wait, what?
Oooh boy.

An employee at Mar-a-lago or some other club was being sexually harassed, got a lawyer, then Habba pretended to be just a random guest and promised to "help" her. Habba then got her to fire the real lawyer and "negotiated" a lovely settlement, lied about it being tax-free, and then disappeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KvoIDkEsiw

E: oh gently caress nm

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A video so good it's worth being posted twice!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

scene from the court

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1747747405003391302

https://i.imgur.com/YjzYzaK.mp4

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What the gently caress are they even going over in that trial? He was convicted of doing the thing, convicted of liable, walked outside and on tape said the exact same illegal thing.

How does any tweet at all come into play for the defense here?

My guess (from the hash Habba is making of it) that she is trying to mitigate the judgement by proving that the Plaintiff was not really impacted by TRump's utterances (part Deux).

As this thread's actual lawyers have previously demonstrated here: there are ways to build and execute that, but Habba is apparently unaware of them.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

cr0y posted:

Omg

"Sir the prosecution is showing evidence that is bad for my client, please stop this madness"

I don't know if it applies in this case, but evidence can be deemed likely to have biasing impact that outweighs its proper value as evidence, and be excluded for that reason https://law.indiana.edu/instruction/tanford/b723/05prej/T05.pdf

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

mllaneza posted:

A video so good it's worth being posted twice!

I consider legal eagle generally quite restrained (as you would expect) so was quite surprised he was so adamant that she was pretty hosed by poaching another lawyers client.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Artificial Kid posted:

I don't know if it applies in this case, but evidence can be deemed likely to have biasing impact that outweighs its proper value as evidence, and be excluded for that reason https://law.indiana.edu/instruction/tanford/b723/05prej/T05.pdf

You have to actually do some real leg work for that, and "Here's what the defendant said/incited others to say" is one hell of a slog to get there.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

The Artificial Kid posted:

quote:

Determining “prejudicial effect” of the evidence is also at the discretion of the judge. In general, it means;

3) Whether the evidence involves some subject likely to get church-going folks all upset, such as sex, drugs and rock and roll.

:dafuq:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

I mean, it's from a law school class that's fully online. Gotta keep the students engaged somehow while they're watching videos of a lecture in their dorm rooms or whatever.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PainterofCrap posted:

As this thread's actual lawyers have previously demonstrated here: there are ways to build and execute that, but Habba is apparently unaware of them.

From everything I've read, seen, and heard about Alina "I'd rather be pretty than smart" Habba, I don't think she actually knows her job all that well.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think she wanted to prove Carroll was a liar because she said Montana was "Great" and "Not Boring". Both highly questionable statements.

I must take a stand on this post, I'm afraid. I had a partner I was pretty serious about who lives in MT (I'm still good friends with her and her family although it didn't work out between us in the end) and Montana is indeed 'Great'. I guess whether it's boring depends on where you are in the state and what kinda stuff you find fun though, fair enough on that - for me, Bozeman was about the perfect size of town. Granted it's not as good as it used to be because like three absolutely banger stores closed in the last few years :qq:

Also Habba is both a piece of poo poo and incompetent even by the standards of Trump's law team. Like I think the only other person as bad as Rudy, and at least Rudy USED to be a hotshot who knew what he was doing even if it was like 40 years ago now.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

My guess (from the hash Habba is making of it) that she is trying to mitigate the judgement by proving that the Plaintiff was not really impacted by TRump's utterances (part Deux).

You're pretty much right.

The main difference is that this lawsuit comes from Hus time as president (so it is actually from acts before the ones he already lost on). This one took longer to get to court because of legal questions about whether or not saying something as president made you immune to being sued when you left office.

She is likely to sue him a 3rd time if he keeps this up, since winning a second lawsuit will make subsequent defamation easier and easier to prove.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It is considerate of him to streamline the next trial by getting his defamation recorded into the court transcripts this time around.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Caros posted:

You're pretty much right.

The main difference is that this lawsuit comes from Hus time as president (so it is actually from acts before the ones he already lost on). This one took longer to get to court because of legal questions about whether or not saying something as president made you immune to being sued when you left office.

She is likely to sue him a 3rd time if he keeps this up, since winning a second lawsuit will make subsequent defamation easier and easier to prove.

Is their a cap for how high punitive damages can be for defamation in federal court? Could the jury find that he is guilty hit him with another 2-3 million but than grant some ludicrous large punitive damages so he stops or is there some kind of cap and he will just defame her over and over again till he dies because it’s just a fine to him?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what are people's expectations for today in court? Will Habba outright insult the judge to his face? Will she try to just beat the crap out of the prosecution? Will she begin shrieking like a howler monkey and throwing her feces all around the court? Will she actually act like a professional law... I'm sorry, that last one was just too ridiculous for me to actually finish, it's just too outlandish a prospect.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Habba's performance is unbelievably bad. It's like watching a first year's trial. She doesn't know how to introduce documents? How to object? During direct she just states that she's going to cross-examine the witness on a topic and the Judge tells her he "doesn't need updates". I don't even understand the logic there, was that an objection? You can see where she's trying to go with her cross, but she's so inept that it doesn't land. To a juror though it could look like the Judge is just being mean to her, but usually jurors can read between the lines.

I know a few people who went to law school with her and apparently her performance isn't surprising to them. She was never considered a very good law student, and hasn't changed since becoming a lawyer. She's just a shameless self-promoter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Trump's whole strategy at this point across all his legal challenges is just to scream and yell and attempt to discredit the process and the rule of law generally.

Duey posted:

Habba's performance is unbelievably bad. . . .

I know a few people who went to law school with her and apparently her performance isn't surprising to them. She was never considered a very good law student, and hasn't changed since becoming a lawyer. She's just a shameless self-promoter.

Trump has a legal team, they've chosen her to be the front for a reason. It might just be a case of her natural lack of skill lining up with what the team wants to present ("this whole process is bullshit, man"). Trump's not trying to change the minds of anyone in the actual courtroom.

He just wants a lot of soundbites of the judge yelling at him so he can play the clips at rallies and in TV commercials. Habba's generating those clips. He doesn't plan on ever actually paying any judgments regardless of the outcome.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 18, 2024

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Captain_Maclaine posted:

From everything I've read, seen, and heard about Alina "I'd rather be pretty than smart" Habba, I don't think she actually knows her job all that well.

Duey posted:

Habba's performance is unbelievably bad. It's like watching a first year's trial. She doesn't know how to introduce documents? How to object? During direct she just states that she's going to cross-examine the witness on a topic and the Judge tells her he "doesn't need updates". I don't even understand the logic there, was that an objection? You can see where she's trying to go with her cross, but she's so inept that it doesn't land. To a juror though it could look like the Judge is just being mean to her, but usually jurors can read between the lines.

It's funny/weird, because I've seen a couple of excerpts from the trial that have actually included her being surprisingly competent/astute-seeming with a few of her questions, but these have been vastly outnumbered by the type of things being posted here, where she doesn't know how to present documents for authentication by a witness, doesn't know which objection to state or how to state her basis for it, actually snaps back at the judge (although at least that part's probably performative for her client and his hungry mob). She does seem to not be 100% incompetent, only 98% or so, so it makes those moments of competency all the more striking when they happen.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Scapegoat posted:

I consider legal eagle generally quite restrained (as you would expect) so was quite surprised he was so adamant that she was pretty hosed by poaching another lawyers client.

Legal Eagle is pretty much my only source of legal analysis that I trust these days. I refuse to listen to Opening Arguments now.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Vire posted:

Is their a cap for how high punitive damages can be for defamation in federal court? Could the jury find that he is guilty hit him with another 2-3 million but than grant some ludicrous large punitive damages so he stops or is there some kind of cap and he will just defame her over and over again till he dies because it’s just a fine to him?

Generally, appeals courts will cut down punitive awards if they're beyond some multiplier of the actual damages. Like if the jury said $2M damages and $200M punitive, that would probably get cut down to like $15-20M or something. It has something to do with constitutional takings or process or something, I'm not a lawyer.

But holy poo poo if there was ever a case for unlimited punitive damages, the fact that Trump just keeps defaming her has gotta be it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is there a cap on damages? Because I'd argue just add another zero onto the end of the damages to cover the span from "The date of the original incident" to "the last time Trump opened his mouth".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One would assume that the same jurisdiction that awarded EJC $5mn in September would presumably take into account ongoing behaviour when dealing with this case focusing on the original sin, so to speak.

Obviously individual jurors in said jurisdiction vary but I'm gonna assume you've got to try hard to find an NYCer who actually likes Trump enough to vouch for him in a room full of people who think he sucks.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

One would assume that the same jurisdiction that awarded EJC $5mn in September would presumably take into account ongoing behaviour when dealing with this case focusing on the original sin, so to speak.

Obviously individual jurors in said jurisdiction vary but I'm gonna assume you've got to try hard to find an NYCer who actually likes Trump enough to vouch for him in a room full of people who think he sucks.

Habba tried to get the judge to cap the damages for this trial at $5m but he wouldn’t.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He just wants a lot of soundbites of the judge yelling at him so he can play the clips at rallies and in TV commercials. Habba's generating those clips. He doesn't plan on ever actually paying any judgments regardless of the outcome.

I agree that this is the task that Habba has been more or less set towards as a metalegal strategy, but Habba is so surprisingly bad at even that that most of what's being generated is greater sympathy to the judge for slapping down trump's legal representation while trump's just sitting there hunched over peeping at everything

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Habba's generating those clips. He doesn't plan on ever actually paying any judgments regardless of the outcome.

Probably doesn't plan on paying Habba either. We're watching a legal equivalent of an artist do work free "for the exposure."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ms Adequate posted:

My spicy answer: nowhere - America is already the British Byzantium.

Never had I thought there was a way to summarize so succinctly European resentment of America.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

From Inner City Press's coverage

quote:

Habba: I can't ask abou them? With all due respect-
Judge Kaplan: With. All. Due. Respect - when I rule, you go on.
Habba: So do you-
Carroll's lawyer: Objection.
Judge Kaplan: Sustained. Stricken.
Habba: On what basis?
Judge Kaplan: Move on.

quote:

Habba: Your Substack was popular as soon as you started it in 2021?
Carroll: It's a lot of work.
Habba: You make a lot--
Judge Kaplan: Ms. Habba, this is Evidence 101. Ms Carroll, when there is an objection you should sit quietly until I rule.

Judge Kaplan just taking no poo poo from Habba today.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Trump is literally defaming Carroll again today. Damages here have to be a high multiple of the last one since that previous judgement wasn't a deterrent at all.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Has he even paid anything to anyone yet?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Make these PPV events and pay off the national debt

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Scratch Monkey posted:

I believe that, in order to appeal, NY statute requires the Defendant to pay a significant portion of the original judgement, if not all of it, into escrow.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

PainterofCrap posted:

I believe that, in order to appeal, NY statute requires the Defendant to pay a significant portion of the original judgement, if not all of it, into escrow.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/23/politics/trump-e-jean-carroll-5-5-million/index.html

111% apparently, so 5.5m so far from last time

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
habba is just holding up trump tweets and parading them around like a ring girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

I don't think he's had any final judgments yet. He's paid some fines for contempt, but everything else is appealable so he hasn't been actually forced to pay anything to anyone yet.