Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played some Nova Drift again and it made me think about how I really like the games where picking a wrong upgrade can literally make your whole build completely unusable, simply by virtue of how the complex interlocking systems work.
Synthetik does the exact same thing where if you aren't thinking carefully when picking your weapon upgrades you can create a hand-held bomb that will instakill you once you try to fire it.

Systems like that are just so much more fun than just "Add 10% more damage."

Any suggestions for other games that do similar stuff that I might have missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Noita's known for it's wildly unsafe wand thingies. Never played it tho.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Serephina posted:

Noita's known for it's wildly unsafe wand thingies. Never played it tho.

Oh yeah, Noita is pretty cool.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I hate the "no-hitting a floor or boss gives you a bonus". Is there a way to mitigate that like in Isaac with spirit hearts? That's a major reason I disliked Enter the Gungeon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if you are talking about tiny rogues, you can simply remove that upgrade and put the points somewhere else on the chart

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't post in this thread very much but I do read it almost daily and I just wanna say that I think the discussion in here lately has been great. Everyone's enthusiastic and generally positive and offering advice and spoiler tagging if they think it's necessary and it's just nice. Way to be, roguelike thread, I appreciate you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

babypolis posted:

being a hosed up dreaming freezing ghost that lulls everyone into an eternal sleep ftw

Nice! Angiok is really good haha

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LazyMaybe posted:

Frequently, yes. And almost always most of the potion buffs I actually want, like power/anger/wrath.

I just did a couple runs, and on the first one, at the end of the game I had-

-7 different potion effects active, including all the ones I care about(no luck potion, but I had resolute technique so who cares). This is on a run where I opened 1 alchemy chest.
Also note that I have both the trait that doubles beer buffs and the trait that doubles potion buffs. Plus the trait that raises power per actor(including you) and the trait that increases buff effectiveness depending on power, which is why that beer buff is giving me +198% damage instead of +180% damage, and that means those numbers all get dramatically higher with multiple enemies onscreen. You have to work to enable these, especially doubled beer buff, but the payoff for each of them is so much higher than mageblood, which just enables you to have the buffs up on floors you don't normally need them on.
Even if I was only able to get half as much tipsiness as this, the doubled beer damage buff would clear mageblood easily. Every +HP favor boost or piece of gear that gives +HP is another +20% damage, assuming you can reach a tavern-and there's a perk to guarantee a tavern on floor 10! It's so good!

The 2nd run I only had 4 potion buffs at the end, which is obviously not most of the potions that exist, but among those 4 potion buffs I had power, wrath, rage, stamina. Again, I have most of the buffs I actually want during the fights I need them, no need to give up a perk slot. And that time I had 3 active infusions, so I'm still doing the last floor with a lot of active buffs.

I think I generally don't hoard them because there are 3 boss fights in the end you'd want the buffs for but they only last 10 rooms, so you can only use them for one of those fights. (And the pre-boss rooms before the last 2 fights are no pushovers either.)

In my mind, it's better to use the inventory space for stuff to sell for gold that you can turn into permanent advantages. Like you've got 5 buffs expiring at the same time, so at one point you had 5 potions taking up inventory space (or you got one of those chests stuffed with them and they were all different, in which case, congrats). Typically, I get a pawn shop or a black market very soon after filling my inventory with loot. A whole lot of times, my mid-game power spike comes from purchasing power.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Speaking of selling, lately it feels like 80% of the stuff I sell is worth 1 gold, regardless of alignment and rarity, what's up with that? I feel like I should know, being on paragon 30 and cinder 16, but it feels... buggy? I dunno.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I played some Nova Drift again and it made me think about how I really like the games where picking a wrong upgrade can literally make your whole build completely unusable, simply by virtue of how the complex interlocking systems work.
Synthetik does the exact same thing where if you aren't thinking carefully when picking your weapon upgrades you can create a hand-held bomb that will instakill you once you try to fire it.

Systems like that are just so much more fun than just "Add 10% more damage."

Any suggestions for other games that do similar stuff that I might have missed?

What did you build that did this? Was it a snake build? I played enough to know I really liked it but put it down to wait till it was proper release ready. Seems to be close btw for those interested. Some time this year I think.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Schurik posted:

Speaking of selling, lately it feels like 80% of the stuff I sell is worth 1 gold, regardless of alignment and rarity, what's up with that? I feel like I should know, being on paragon 30 and cinder 16, but it feels... buggy? I dunno.

Oh drat, yeah that sounds like you hit a bug. The only thing I ever get 1 gold for is some of the worst starting equipment. I'm not even sure it's possible to pick up equipment that bad; none of the chests or shops or armorys drop like Basic Sword.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Schurik posted:

Is there not a mastery that affects selling prices?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

unattended spaghetti posted:

What did you build that did this? Was it a snake build? I played enough to know I really liked it but put it down to wait till it was proper release ready. Seems to be close btw for those interested. Some time this year I think.

The last time I did it was as simple as me trying to make an Architect Sword build and then getting a brainfart and picking up Mines, which resulted in my Swords being unavailable, but there are a whole bunch of ways to screw yourself over in Nova Drift because almost every upgrade tree is has an interesting double-edged upgrade.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Azran posted:

It's so brazen that it goes all the way around and becomes funny.

https://twitter.com/RubyBenji/status/1747580077234176481

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I nolifed Skul the Hero Slayer in the last week or two. Finally beat hardest difficulty. I recommend it, with two recommendations:

1.) the initial metaprogression stuff sucks. I might even recommend putting the game on rookie mode (half damage received) initially because it will let you farm the upgrades faster as the metaprogression rewards exponentially increase up to stage 3. The weird part is theres also an excellent ascension-based metaprogression system that kicks in later further making me wonder why the quartz upgrades are even still in the game.

2.) You can save scum in this game by pressing alt+f4. Absolutely abuse this on bosses to learn their patterns, this game would take hundreds of hours if you had to do a run every time before losing to a boss. The bosses don't change their behavior all that much and its just a giant waste of time to have to do a run when you need to fight these enemies dozens of times to learn them (and in general this is a game with a fairly low power ceiling so you usually cant just overpower them the way you can in tiny rogues/isaac or leverage your health lead like gungeon). The last boss is very hollow knighty/fair but messes you up if you don't know the patterns.

Also for tips on what to build 2 revenge is best synergy in game worth using garbage items to activate it. And in general safety is a really big deal its much harder to win with blender melee attack builds than safe ones.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 18, 2024

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

really late but finally beat nethack

feels good to cross this one off the list.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Jedit posted:

Is there not a mastery that affects selling prices?

Aaaaaaaaa you're right, I forgot I had taken Inflation at all, and even if I had remembered, I made the mistake of taking that instead of Deflation.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ferroque posted:

Hell yeah

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

ferroque posted:

yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ferroque posted:

Neeeeeeeeerd!

(Congrats)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

They released a sequel to Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion, and this one -- Turnip Boy Robs a Bank -- has roguelite mechanics. The idea is that you're robbing a bank that might be built on top of an ancient interdimensional alien ruin so it keeps changing from one robbery to the next.

The meta-progression seems to be on the Dead Cells lines -- you unlock and buy new weapons as well as new tools that allow you to access areas and routes that were previously inaccessible to you.

A lot of corny comedy just like in the first game. Came out today, also on Game Pass, and from the hour I just played it seems pretty neat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ferroque posted:

A classic YAVP, one I shall celebrate. Good work man, I'm sure it was no small effort!

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't found that to be the case at all with builds. There are a couple of masteries that can really mess you up if you aren't built for them (the one that burns everything, including you, comes to mind) but by and large you can choose two upgrades that have opposite effects. You can get both the upgrade that makes you bigger, stronger, and slower as well as the one that makes you smaller, faster, and more fragile, for example. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me and I hope they work out the system so that one side of a skill tree is locked when you choose from the other.

I'm also looking forward to having an end game. I abort a lot of runs because you can get ahead of the power curve enough that one run can take an hour to complete.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Major flex beating Nethack for the first time as a tourist.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxo011mu83M

thunder scroll+crushing blow+paw mitts+shitloads of mana+boosted effects of mana is pretty good as it turns out

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ferroque posted:

extremely based, probably the first straight yavp we've had in a good long while

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I really want to get into CDDA but every single time I try to play the interface and controls intimate and confuse me.

Is it a good idea to sit and wait until they develop it further or is it as good as it will get?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The game is both essentially complete and never going to be complete so you might as well bite the bullet if you’re interested.

I’ve been reading the LP from a bit back by worm girl and it’s a pretty good teaching tool as well as being entertaining. If you’re up for learning that way two minor caveats are that the LP does go into some extensive spoilers eventually and that CDDA is a constantly evolving project that is constantly putting tutorials and such out of date.

The CDDA thread is also, like most threads for extremely complex and weird stuff, totally happy to answer new questions.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 19, 2024

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I know there is a tiny rogues thread, but it is wild to me we got a page of debate about mageblood and no one mentioned re rolling it allows you to keep the permanent buffs you've already got.

Feels so good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Duderclese posted:

I know there is a tiny rogues thread, but it is wild to me we got a page of debate about mageblood and no one mentioned re rolling it allows you to keep the permanent buffs you've already got.

Feels so good.

Pretty sure this got fixed at some point.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

the holy poopacy posted:

Pretty sure this got fixed at some point.

I haven't played in five ish days. So it could well have been patched.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

not as cool as a nethack yavp but Path of Achra continues to be fun

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.

ferroque posted:

Grats! That's a big one. My only regret from my one time through the end is that I was too scared to take a turn to lay an egg on the altar.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

habituallyred posted:

Major flex beating Nethack for the first time as a tourist.

The early game is tough for sure but once you hit critical mass it feels insanely strong. Free blessed charging from the magic credit card is just so good. I was able to write so many scrolls of magic mapping and gold detection that gehennom and the planes were incredibly easy.

Orb of Fate ended up being a good wish. Free luckstone, half damage and free levelporting were really convenient. I even applied it to use it like a regular crystal ball once or twice.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1830970/The_Last_Flame/

TFT + Slay the Spire autobattler roguelike thing, getting some positive buzz on yt

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2056210/LONESTAR/

I don't know what the gently caress is going on here. Giant spaceship beam wars?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I really liked the demo for Lonestar. But I would be hard pressed to describe it without saying "Cobalt Core but with Dice numbers instead of cards." Which would leave out the ship subsystem system that has you adding, multiplying, trading dice. Attacks beam battle if they hit each other meaning the best defence is dodging, followed by offence. Stick all the support stuff on the back row or go full crab with your armament.

edit: remembered it was the mythical 1-6 but they are cards instead of dice, until you upgrade your deck

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 19, 2024

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://uspto.report/TM/98354576

drat

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That had better not give them the power to police the term "roguelike".

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

sounds great atari!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Isn’t the current “Atari” just some trademark-squatting junk company that bought the name and hasn’t done anything to justify it

Or am I thinking of something else