Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Turning to poo poo? (and don't post that stupid Super Eyepatch Wolf video, he's wrong)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's actually right, in this case

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Azhais posted:

Bring back Kings

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

What do we call a phenomenon like the Simpsons where the first 8 (or so) seasons are still great to this day but the rest is weirdly out of date?

Probably just have to name it after the Simpsons because so few other shows carry on that long. Like what other company does it really have that's not like, news or something. Soap Operas?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m amazed the Simpsons is still on. People must watch it, but not anyone I’ve ever met. I meet lots of people age 20-60 so I don’t know who the audience is. Little kids and families? Younger people don’t even know there are good episodes, because they weren’t born until after the Armin Tamzarian episode and have never seen pre-2000 reruns.

I imagine the show will continue until one of the core cast or Harry Shearer dies and it becomes too much work to replace them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I genuinely hope it never dies, I want Simpsons to drag itself along history and be one of the things to outlive the USA. I want future cultures to look back once it finally ends to think of it like they were our Greek mythos.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m amazed the Simpsons is still on. People must watch it, but not anyone I’ve ever met. I meet lots of people age 20-60 so I don’t know who the audience is. Little kids and families? Younger people don’t even know there are good episodes, because they weren’t born until after the Armin Tamzarian episode and have never seen pre-2000 reruns.

I imagine the show will continue until one of the core cast or Harry Shearer dies and it becomes too much work to replace them.

I would say a better bet is going to be that they sell off their voice rights to Disney who then uses AI to record their lines for centuries to come.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I genuinely hope it never dies, I want Simpsons to drag itself along history and be one of the things to outlive the USA. I want future cultures to look back once it finally ends to think of it like they were our Greek mythos.

There's a couch gag where The Simpsons lives on and on and on and eventually becomes this bizarre far future thing. It was kind of crazy.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

I mean, there isn't quite the shared TV culture because there were only 3 than 4, than 60 channels growing up. Now, the audience can fracture itself anyway it wants.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LifeLynx posted:

There's a couch gag where The Simpsons lives on and on and on and eventually becomes this bizarre far future thing. It was kind of crazy.

Done by Don Hertzfeldt , the "Rejected" guy (i.e. "My Spoon is Too Big/My Anus is Bleeding" cartoons.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78gYyTrG7Y

Still love you, Homar.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I AM GRANDO posted:

I mean, Fox has already gone so far as to audition replacement voice actors at least twice during pay disputes with the cast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming that they're using the recast of minority characters to also gauge reaction on doing that for more.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXN5Ws7LxkA

I wonder how many people are about to learn that Coco Chanel was a huge anti-semite and nazi collaborator / spy.

From the clip, it shows like they're somehow, wtf, going to rationalize her being a Nazi collaborator. But anti-semite? Nah. I don't think a show meant to kiss fashion history's rear end is going to tarnish the name of Coco Chanel to the public that watches or pirates Apple TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I’ve said this before, but if I was a soulless money grubbing Disney exec I would do the following if new episodes with existing voice cast became impossible in some way.

Go back and re-animate the first 20.5 seasons in HD with the existing voice track. It would be a lot cheaper than new episodes and then you would have two decades to find replacement voice actors. Remix the seasons even (since there’s no continuity) so that people get used to the VAs sounding different as they aged into their characters which would make it even easier to replace them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

My Disney exec pro move would be remaking The Simpsons in live action, but worse.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If I was a disney exec I would greenlight more marvel crap and then go home and swim in my pool of gold coins

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Schmigadoon! has been cancelled https://tvline.com/news/schmigadoon-cancelled-season-3-not-returning-apple-tv-plus-1235003518/

I thought season two was disappointing, and didn’t have the humor or catchy songs of the first one, but I still wouldn’t have minded more.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

IRQ posted:

My Disney exec pro move would be remaking The Simpsons in live action, but worse.

Age up the characters, get another 20 years out of the thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No Country For Old Homers

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I would be interested in an episode that told the story of the characters like if they aged in real time from the premiere of the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

I would be interested in an episode that told the story of the characters like if they aged in real time from the premiere of the show.

It's currently in season 35, right? If we go 35 years from the premiere, Homer would be dead from liver cirrhosis, Marge is probably in assisted living, Bart is probably a techbro entrepreneur if he isn't in federal prison, Lisa is President of the United States and Maggie is a closeted serial killer working a white-collar office job (think Patrick Bateman).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Marge would be in her 70s not in assisted living

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fez_machine posted:

Marge would be in her 70s not in assisted living

My mom is 73 and we moved her to assisted living last year. :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Timby posted:

Kinda cruel

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MarcusSA posted:

Kinda cruel

Assisted living is the god drat dream, I am guessing you have no idea what it actually is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

I'm sure there were circumstances that led to that happening for your mom, but that isn't normally the case. 73 isn't really all that old anymore, if you're otherwise healthy.

A retirement community for Marge, sure, I could see that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Timby posted:

It's currently in season 35, right? If we go 35 years from the premiere, Homer would be dead from liver cirrhosis, Marge is probably in assisted living, Bart is probably a techbro entrepreneur if he isn't in federal prison, Lisa is President of the United States and Maggie is a closeted serial killer working a white-collar office job (think Patrick Bateman).

Bart would be extremely into crypto.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

swickles posted:

Assisted living is the god drat dream, I am guessing you have no idea what it actually is.

I know exactly what it is and ,

thrawn527 posted:

I'm sure there were circumstances that led to that happening for your mom, but that isn't normally the case. 73 isn't really all that old anymore, if you're otherwise healthy.

It’s this mostly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, really depends on the person.

My mom just turned 73 this past December (and my Dad 72 a few months earlier) and we went to Universal Studios in 2023 and they rode all the rides (and did like 7 miles of walking a day for a week). I’m actually going with them to Hawaii in a few months and we’ll be walking all over the drat place.

That’s not to say I haven’t noticed them slowing down a little, because they have, but that’s going to happen.

011824_8
Jan 19, 2024
[HISTORY CHANNEL] The Television Holocaust of the 2020s

011824_8
Jan 19, 2024
[Ken Burn's Presents] The Television Holocaust of the 2020s

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The back half of Reacher S2 loving sucks :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Agree. It’s really mean.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It does have the problem of being more interested in revenge than justice.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Dango Bango posted:

Enjoyed the first season but had to turn off the first episode of this season. Don't even remember why exactly other than it just having a completely different vibe than I remembered from the first.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Rap Sh!t cancelled over on Max.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

shirunei posted:

Enjoyed the first season but had to turn off the first episode of this season. Don't even remember why exactly other than it just having a completely different vibe than I remembered from the first.

I did the same. I enjoyed season 1 but I didn't make it thru the first episode of season 2. I think the writers got a bit too high on their own potenuse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season 2 has the issue where there just isn't enough contrast between Reacher and the rest of the Special Investigators. The season desperately needed a Roscoe or a Finlay to be all "Reacher, you can't just shoot everyone!"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just caught up on Slow Horses. Fun time, a must watch, but maybe slightly overhyped (by friends) for a show that could use a couple more good oners, better melee cinematography, and fewer lucky coincidences (the 2 guys in the final episode of Season 3 both being out of ammo is such a bad cliche but it's even worse when both are carrying semi-automatics) to put it into the range of perfection. Will certainly be watching new seasons at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dango Bango posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of wasted potential here and in the end I didn't care for this season.