Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I respected his origin and motivation and the tragedy of it and stopped him since I disagreed with his goal all the same.

So is everyone going insane until DT releases or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Re: Emet-Selch, dude is a monster in every sense of the word but by the end of Shadowbringers I at least understood where he was coming from and how he had reached the point he was at. It wasn't until Endwalker that I started viewing him as anything other than a bad person.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kyrosiris posted:

Pretty much! He's completely loving awful and irredeemable but because some people want to gently caress him, that all gets completely ignored.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think that's true.

Yeah, it really isn't. There are people like that, but they're a small minority.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Pretty much! He's completely loving awful and irredeemable but because some people want to gently caress him, that all gets completely ignored.
i dont think the story itself thinks hes completely loving awful and irredeemable given how much time is spent on him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unless the 'some people' includes the writer of final fantasy 14 shadowbringers and endwalker

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kyrosiris posted:

Hey I have asked this before but uh, if you're not going actually engage with anything anyones said could you at least not try and say everyone that has a different opinion than you about any given character is just a horny deviant? That would be lovely.

Like the last time there was a big serious discussion about Zenos as a character in the story people were talking about what he added to the narrative and what they liked about him and it was a pretty fun discussion minus you screaming that he was boring and sucks and everyone that disagreed with you just wanted to gently caress him.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 18, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People don't excuse the rat man because they wanna gently caress him, they wanna gently caress him because he's a compelling character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why are so many people in this thread mad about the idea of women being attracted to male video game characters

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Arist posted:

People don't excuse the rat man because they wanna gently caress him, they wanna gently caress him because he's a compelling character.

Also he's hot?

like c'mon no wonder people want to gently caress this guy

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arist posted:

they also don't excuse him most of the time. Half the fan art I see on twitter about the man is how their WoL/Azem is sad to see how far this man has fallen.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Endorph posted:

why are so many people in this thread mad about the idea of women being attracted to male video game characters

I don't think that has ever been said by anyone in this thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rantmo posted:

I don't think that has ever been said by anyone in this thread.
its definitely the subtext to a number of posts

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

are we talkin' emet or luk

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Oneiros posted:

are we talkin' emet or luk

Yes

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I do not want to gently caress the rat man but I understand his motivations even if I do not agree.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Emet would be justified if he could punch harder than me.

Alas...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I do not want to gently caress the rat man or any of his descendants but I do think he's a very compelling character

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

FuturePastNow posted:

I do not want to gently caress the rat man or any of his descendants

C'mon, Anima is clearly a throat goat.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I can say with absolute certainty that the one thing this game's writers love is giving their bad guys tragic backstories, and that isn't going to change no matter what directions the story goes

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it's fun to like fictional villains because they are in fact fictional and going all "the character does bad things but... you like them?! mentally ill!" is some hays code poo poo

you also literally kill emet-selch in a clash of ideals and i've yet to see a fan of him object to that because they wanted to join him and kill all the rest of the cast

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

quiggy posted:

Also he's hot?

like c'mon no wonder people want to gently caress this guy

This is the real problem I have, he isn’t hot at all

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Emet has understandable, and even sympathetic motivations that make him an interesting antagonist. Since his end goals are antithetical to everything the hero has been fighting for, it's still necessary to kick his rear end and I don't think many people at all object to the rear end kicking.

(the actual psychos are the people who insist that Venat is an irredeemable monster)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

goblin week posted:

I just got to Shadowbringers (the quest) and loving lmao that's the sob story for the guy everyone's been jizzing about?????????

I mean, the take away was supposed to be “I get why he did it, but he still deserves the eternal swirly for how he went about doing it”

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'll never get tired of how many times FF14 sledgehammers the player with Redemption as a theme and some people don't get it or don't get why others feel sympathy to tragic characters.

6.0: I'm glad Venat wasn't turned around into being Actually Evil, especially after the spiciness about Ascian motivations and Light that Shadowbringers threw around. I suspected it might happen for a long time and I also figured that we'd have to make a hard choice when we realized we were immune to tempering because mother crystal already tempered us to light side.

Important to note for the reception to Emet is that MMOs at the time were known for story being a distant consideration at best and that FF itself has had worse antagonists, so he's a genuinely good one with a cool set up and theme.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I do know people who are catastrophically horny for Emet but, putting that aside, I think he is an interesting and compelling villain, and Endwalker really doubles down on painting the game's villains in this way. I'm interested actually in how he was received after 5.0 - like, what was the initial reason to ShB?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There's really only one antagonist that I refused to feel anything but loathing for. And no, it's not Zenos. I just felt like I got all I needed from Zenos by the end of StB.

Well, two antagonists if you count Lahabrea but I don't and neither should you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yeah. I've said before, but that response basically only rings true if you actually are there for the challenge.

If you're someone who doesn't care about Extremes and Savages, who's primarily motivated by story or glamor? That choice doesn't even ring true to the player, let alone the character.

Haven't you complained a whole ton about how healers don't have enough to do and you want it to be harder?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thundarr posted:

(the actual psychos are the people who insist that Venat is an irredeemable monster)

Really funny since the Venat minion literally tells you she is the hero of the story

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Going "Emet Selch is an irredeemable monster" sort of misses a big point of the character, which is that from his own viewpoint everything he's doing is for the greater good in a way that makes perfect sense for the culture he was born into and the situation he faced. He wasn't evil for the sake of being evil, he genuinely had the end goal of bringing back his people from the shattered and broken remains. He was engaging in the only action that seemed, to him, a way forward from the situation that wasn't leaving the world broken. It is entirely reasonable to empathize with him. He's a parallel to Ardbert who was, in his despair, perfectly willing to travel to another star and do some atrocities of his own in an attempt to save his people from what seemed to be total destruction.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

ImpAtom posted:

Going "Emet Selch is an irredeemable monster" sort of misses a big point of the character, which is that from his own viewpoint everything he's doing is for the greater good in a way that makes perfect sense for the culture he was born into and the situation he faced. He wasn't evil for the sake of being evil, he genuinely had the end goal of bringing back his people from the shattered and broken remains. He was engaging in the only action that seemed, to him, a way forward from the situation that wasn't leaving the world broken. It is entirely reasonable to empathize with him. He's a parallel to Ardbert who was, in his despair, perfectly willing to travel to another star and do some atrocities of his own in an attempt to save his people from what seemed to be total destruction.

Probably a complete coincidence yet I wonder if perhaps the inspiration for him was Solas from DA:I since they have very similar story arcs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

There's really only one antagonist that I refused to feel anything but loathing for. And no, it's not Zenos. I just felt like I got all I needed from Zenos by the end of StB.

Well, two antagonists if you count Lahabrea but I don't and neither should you.

I can think of several (not counting ARR/HW Lahabrea who is too much of a cackling cartoon villain for me to feel antipathy). And probably some minor characters who got got too fast to be all that memorable. The writers are fully capable of making actually irredeemable shitheads when they want to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean Athena is right there.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pandaemonium 3.4: You [cannot] fix her

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I do think it's still important to note that Emet had a very deliberate and pointed attitude of "why should I care about any of you y'all aren't even *real* people" which is a pretty hosed up take regardless of how sympathetic his motivations are.

Emet is complicated and messy and that's great character writing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Emet's situation is very sympathetic - he was tempered. The end.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Emet is also funny which I think helps a bit.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I do think it's still important to note that Emet had a very deliberate and pointed attitude of "why should I care about any of you y'all aren't even *real* people" which is a pretty hosed up take regardless of how sympathetic his motivations are.

He's also lying about it, and the game doubles down on reminding the player "the claim that the Sundered are fundamentally lesser beings whom Emet doesn't care about is a gigantic bit of self delusional cope to deal with the fact that to bring back the people he loves who deserved better he's going to have to have them all killed."

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jetrauben posted:

He's also lying about it, and the game doubles down on reminding the player "the claim that the Sundered are fundamentally lesser beings whom Emet doesn't care about is a gigantic bit of self delusional cope to deal with the fact that to bring back the people he loves who deserved better he's going to have to have them all killed."

Maybe that's revealed post-factum because that does not come across so far!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think the interesting there is that he's not entirely wrong from his perspective. If the context was different "My friends have all been broken into pieces that may resemble them but are not them, I have to fix them" would be an entirely reasonable RPG plot hook to have. But he's also obviously wrong because he's disgusted by the idea when presented to him before the tragedy and it's clear from his behavior and actions that he is doing everything he can to disprove that to himself, up to and including taking a mortal body and having children. His entire stated reason for following the WoL around was in a hope they could disprove his assertation and that is why the Lightwarden thing makes him freak out so hard he makes the world's biggest underwater cope to deal with it.

And a major sticking point for him, which again makes total sense for the character, is that then they die. They die without choice, of the most minor of things, and then they're gone. And when you come from a culture where death is a choice you go into and it takes something truly exceptional for you to for-real die, it's easy to see how that could be a sticking point for someone, especially the sole survivor of the apocalypse. (Well, besides Lahabrea.)

Edit: It is still incredibly funny Lahabrea got taken out by like a basic-rear end primal.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if he thought modern races were entirely valueless and akin to literal beasts he would not have said 'remember us' or bothered showing you the home movies of the apocalypse to begin with