Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

NTRabbit posted:

They did give him just about the toughest four opponents to open with though

Yeah that opening week for the joi wrestlers is an absolute meat grinder. Gonoyama is having an insanely rough time of it too but I'm expecting/hoping for him to right the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

whats for dinner posted:

Yeah that opening week for the joi wrestlers is an absolute meat grinder.

Especially the first time through. The other problem is once they get past being sacrificial lambs for the big boys, they're like 2-5 or something and struggling for possibly the first time in their careers so it has gotta be tough psychologically too. On the other hand someone like Ura is still getting his rear end kicked but probably has a healthier outlook of knowing he just needs to get through it and he can hold his own against the rest since he's been through it before.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 17, 2024

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Still thinking about Ura’s flip on day 2 to stay in the dohyo as long as possible. You gotta hand it to him for stick-to-it-iveness. For sheer entertainment value he’s up there as one of my favorite rikishi

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Ura Day 3 looked downright DELIGHTED when he was lying on the dohyo. He just loves good sumo, man. I think he probably sends thank-you cards after every match.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Man, bunch of cool high level fights on day 4

Wakamotoharu vs Horshoryu
Kirishima vs Midorifuji
Teju vs Gonoyama

All really impressive in very different ways

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Removed Day 03 tracker due to some inaccuracies in labelling rank and the Day 02 trade dates.

Day 04:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Not sure if Shodai's 2-2 record is impressive or lackluster. The most Shodai of early results.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Jesus, trade request please

Can I swap Ichiyamamoto for, in order, Hiradoumi, Kinbozan, an old tyre...

This trade can't possibly go worse than my last one.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Trade request: Ichiyamamoto for Asanoyama, Mitakeumi, or Meisei, depending on availability.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Apparently Miyagino has been attempting to coach Hokuseiho on actually charging at the tachiai, to the point of actually pushing him at the tachiai in training. Of course, on the actual dohyo there's no coach there to literally push him every time..

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1747370208686219370

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Beeswax posted:

Man, bunch of cool high level fights on day 4

Wakamotoharu vs Horshoryu
Kirishima vs Midorifuji
Teju vs Gonoyama

All really impressive in very different ways

Wakamotoharu vs Horshoryu and Kirishima vs Midorifuji were both excellent

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Great day overall, loving the quality of sumo this basho, especially from my boy the giant baby (Kotonowaka).

The Takakeisho auto-trades are as follows:
code:
Beexoffel		Hoshoryu
captainblastum		Hoshoryu
Ice Phisherman		Hoshoryu
Jobbo_Fett		Hoshoryu
Netsky			Hoshoryu
StupidSexyMothman	Hoshoryu
Taffy Torpedo		Terunofuji

Single Tight Female posted:

Jesus, trade request please

Can I swap Ichiyamamoto for, in order, Hiradoumi, Kinbozan, an old tyre...

This trade can't possibly go worse than my last one.

Hiradoumi, Day 5.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Trade request: Ichiyamamoto for Asanoyama, Mitakeumi, or Meisei, depending on availability.

Mitakeumi, Day 5.

Day 4 standings

Makuuchi
code:
18	Saturnine Aberrance
17	Chinook
17	Kenning
17	Thauros
16	Pakled
16	pseudodragon
15	anakha
15	Average Lettuce
15	MalarkeyToboggan
14	bessantj
14	Jobbo_Fett
14	Vargatron
13	Ben Nerevarine
13	Everyones Favorite Poster
13	Khizan
13	Lid
13	ullerrm
13	whats for dinner
12	MyChemicalImbalance
12	Robviously
11.5	Fluffdaddy
11	Crusty Nutsack
11	Fearless
11	NuclearPotato
10.5	Helianthus Annuus
10	bartolimu
10	Brut
10	captainblastum
10	Ice Phisherman
10	Iron Chef Nex
10	Marching Powder
10	Teddybear
9	Banana Canada
7	Communist Thoughts
7	Netsky
6.5	Tiny Bug Child
6	NTRabbit
6	Xerzes
Juryo
code:
18	Nativity In Black
16	Boogalo
16	Samuel L. Hacksaw
15	Kennedy
15	Kerrzhe
15	OneSizeFitsAll
14	FART BOSS
14	Flinger
14	Takuan
13	Greekonomics
13	ratmosphere
13	Winter Stormer
12	ImplicitAssembler
12	Liquid Communism
11	Dead Goon
11	Nick Soapdish
11	PJ
11	Rags to Liches
11	Single Tight Female
10	Eldoop
9	Beexoffel
9	rare Magic card l00k
8	Bentai
8	Taffy Torpedo
7	CodFishBalls
7	KungFu Grip
7	Kuros
6.5	StupidSexyMothman
5	Medenmath

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

with regret, i would like to trade AOIYAMA for Onosato, Churanoumi, or Shimazuumi

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Seeing the trade posts is depressing when it's the good guys, :rip:Aoiyama :rip:Ichiyamamoto and :respek: to everyone standing by their garbagemen.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Day 05:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I see people are trading Ichiyamamoto, but I will hold onto him though he drags me down like my undiagnosed manic depression.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Stream of thought musings while watching Day 5:

Sadogatake boys in general looking really strong so far. Kotoshoho/Kotonowaka playoff for the cup? Would be pretty great. I think it'll probably be Waka/Asanoyama though.

Tsurugisho has also been looking very asservive this basho, though his record doesn't reflect it. That left knee of his just can't do enough no matter how determined he is. :(

Mitakeumi/Tamawashi was a hell of a gut check. Tons of willpower on display by both men. In the end Tama's choke hold was just too powerful. I hope Mitake's windpipe can recover.

Asanoyama seems more or less healthy this basho, and I expect him to challenge for the yusho if he can stay that way. He's looking very powerful fighting around his current rank. I'm not convinced the sanyaku can stop him either this time.

Hokuseiho's strategy of Be Tree has been paying fewer dividends lately. Apparently Hakuho's been calling him out for being disappointing/boring. Maybe he'll discover some motivation to do something besides stand in the middle of the dohyo, one arm dangling, waiting for his opponent to faint from exhaustion. Not today, though.

I was pleased to see Ichiyamamoto get a win today. He's been sticking to more forward-moving sumo, very Abi-esque with slightly better footwork. Also I like his pretty new mawashi.

Speaking of new mawashi, I feel like Ryoden's diarrhea brown one is perfect for his character.

Shodai sure did Shodai again today.

Atamifuji! He's had a rough time of it but stuck it out and pulled off a sweet win against the monkey. He belongs in upper Maegashira. And soon, even higher!

I joked when Wakatakakage went out for knee explosion that Wakamotoharu had borrowed the family mojo, but now that WTK is back in and WMH looks like this...maybe I was right? Daieisho has looked really powerful in all of his fights, but WMH not finishing him off after such a strong start was still surprising.

Ura win, Ura loss, either way it's gonna be a fun fight to watch. Kotonowaka looking very much like an Ozeki candidate so far.

Oh hey look, Abi-esque footwork. Kiribayama didn't really earn that win but I'm not mad he got it.

Holy poo poo Gonoyama where did that come from? Just plain excellent work.

Teru isn't perfect but ht's still drat strong.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 18, 2024

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

bessantj posted:

I see people are trading Ichiyamamoto, but I will hold onto him though he drags me down like my undiagnosed manic depression.

Me, but Abi and diagnosed major depression

Still hoping he can put together a soft landing after getting through the first week, if not for himself then for Terao

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2024/01/19/kiji/20240119s00005000212000c.html

quote:

The Japan Sumo Association announced on January 19 that Hi(22, Miyagino-ya), the eighth wrestler from the east maegashira, will be absent from the tournament starting on the sixth day.

On the fifth day, Hokuseiho had defeated Shonanoumi with a shita-nage (underhand throw) after a heated battle lasting 2 minutes and 25 seconds to win 2 and lose 3. Immediately after the bout, he did not appear to be in much pain anywhere.

This was the fourth time since the Kyushu Tournament in 2009 (including Corona-related events) that Hokuseiho was absent from the tournament.

Tree is out.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Takayasu is back in for day 6
https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/absence/

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Real great matches this whole basho. Kotonowaka really fights like Kisenosato. He's in Nishonoseki ichimon, I wonder if he trains with Nishonoseki-oyakata at all.

Kerrzhe posted:

with regret, i would like to trade AOIYAMA for Onosato, Churanoumi, or Shimazuumi

You get Churanoumi for Day 6.

Goddamnit. Auto-trades for Hokuseiho will be processed for Day 7 tomorrow.

Day 5 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
21	Thauros
20	Chinook
20	Saturnine Aberrance
19	anakha
19	Kenning
19	Pakled
19	pseudodragon
18	Average Lettuce
18	Ben Nerevarine
18	MalarkeyToboggan
18	Vargatron
17	bessantj
17	Khizan
17	Robviously
16	Jobbo_Fett
16	MyChemicalImbalance
16	NuclearPotato
16	whats for dinner
15	Fearless
15	Iron Chef Nex
15	Lid
15	Marching Powder
15	Teddybear
15	ullerrm
14.5	Helianthus Annuus
14	captainblastum
14	Everyones Favorite Poster
13	Banana Canada
13	Brut
13	Crusty Nutsack
12	Ice Phisherman
11.5	Fluffdaddy
11	bartolimu
11	Communist Thoughts
11	NTRabbit
10	Netsky
9	Xerzes
8.5	Tiny Bug Child
Juryo
code:
22	Nativity In Black
20	Samuel L. Hacksaw
19	FART BOSS
19	OneSizeFitsAll
18	Boogalo
18	Kennedy
17	Kerrzhe
17	ratmosphere
16	Dead Goon
16	Flinger
16	Liquid Communism
16	Takuan
16	Winter Stormer
15	Greekonomics
14	Nick Soapdish
14	Rags to Liches
13	ImplicitAssembler
13	PJ
13	rare Magic card l00k
12	Bentai
12	Taffy Torpedo
11	Beexoffel
11	Eldoop
11	Single Tight Female
10	Kuros
9	CodFishBalls
9	KungFu Grip
7.5	StupidSexyMothman
7	Medenmath

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jesus that final match

Teru was like 'Kick my knee again and I will break your family in half' at the end there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

anakha posted:

Jesus that final match

Teru was like 'Kick my knee again and I will break your family in half' at the end there.

Tobi lucky to leave the dohyo alive tbh

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

anakha posted:

Jesus that final match

Apparently Teru caught a finger to the eye and that's what set him off

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Kenning - check on Tiny Bug Child? I have them at 10.5 on Day 05 instead of 8.5.

Just realised my summary table was rounding the half-points. Expanded the columns to show them now.

Day 06:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Aoiyama looks cooked, and now maybe injured as well. Take care, Big Dan :(

Ura so close! He should be fine after this with some lower ranked opponents

Abi still hates necks, but now he can pull on them too!

Pissed off Teru is a scary, scary man.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
One does not annoy Godzilla.

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?
It's good to see Goin' Loco Ichiyamamoto putting some wins on the board.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Man I'm glad I got rid of Abi, even though looking at the rules I guess I'll still get a deduction for his inevitable eventual make-koshi.

Quite pleased with my other pics, though.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

bessantj posted:

"I'm embarrassed that I got so excited about someone so low-ranking."

Jesus.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kennedy posted:

It's good to see Goin' Loco Ichiyamamoto putting some wins on the board.

Yeah, helps my team to make up for Hoshoryu losing to Abi of all people.

Nativity In Black posted:

Jesus.

He's such a bitch.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Nativity In Black posted:

Jesus.

The spirit of Hakuho in that quote

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like that's a little different (in a worse way) energy than hakuho. But I might have crossed some critical horizon where I just ascribe all positive sports sentiments to hakuho a la contact mike

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The auto translation I got off of my iPad was “I'm ashamed of myself for being hot with a lower-rated partner”, which imo has a much different feel to it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like that's a little different (in a worse way) energy than hakuho. But I might have crossed some critical horizon where I just ascribe all positive sports sentiments to hakuho a la contact mike

Yea, Hakuho was an rear end in a top hat when he wanted to be, especially when someone did something he didn't like. But when youre the GOAT you can do that

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://x.com/hochiyama/status/1748453680515366989?s=20

i had to look this up myself as i'm bad with heyas outside of isegahama or the ones headed by big rikishi i remember during their careers. this is major because that's kirishima's heya, although he's the only sekitori in it

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Thauros posted:

https://x.com/hochiyama/status/1748453680515366989?s=20

i had to look this up myself as i'm bad with heyas outside of isegahama or the ones headed by big rikishi i remember during their careers. this is major because that's kirishima's heya, although he's the only sekitori in it

Wow and no one has elder stock to replace him?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Day 6 ponderings:

I miss Mitoryu, he's surprisingly agile for a man of his orb-ness. He made 3/3 with that very impressive pivot shove thing, hopefully he can keep positive and get back up to the top flight.

Onosato is a drat bulldozer, poor Takarafuji never stood a chance.

AOIYAMA: looks like maybe the last bit of string in his left knee finally gave out. I wouldn't be surprised if that was his last bout ever. :(

Oho hasn't been mentioned much, but he's been executing some good assertive sumo this basho. He may be a dark horse candidate for the yusho.

The worst part about Hokuseiho being out is loving Ryuden got the fusensho.

Shodai. Vintage Shodai.

Takayasu returns! My faith has been vindicated! It was a narrow thing, but a win's a win.

Hoshoryu got fuckin' clowned on by Abi. Just the cleanest, most humiliating slapdown. I love it despite my eternal hatred for Abi's footwork.

Kirishima is doing That Thing that Ozeki hopefuls and Yokozuna hopefuls do sometimes, putting a little extra mustard on their get-dudes-out-of-the-ring moves. He didn't really NEED to throw Gonoyama off the dohyo, but it looked super dominant and was clearly aimed at impressing the Yoko council. Teru did the same thing on his Yokozuna run, until at some point I'm pretty sure he was told to cool it. Hopefully they'll do that with Kiri before someone gets hurt.

Tobizaru going for the leg sweep, then barely bowing to Teru after the match, definitely fired the big guy up. some nice drama to finish out the day.

f/e:

bessantj posted:

Yeah that would probably make anyone a little upset. Still, I feel like Tobi barely acknowledging the win probably didn't help his mood. There's gonna be some bad blood there and I guarantee they'll fight in the next basho (assuming Teru doesn't retire) to settle the score.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lmao I 100% thought he was looking at Tobi in that "bro you ok, need a hand back up on the dohyo?" way and his resting face was just grumpy

I could not possibly have taken a more incorrect read of what I was watching if I tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

Wow and no one has elder stock to replace him?

They only have 2 other coaches under him. Ones ineligible as an old dude on a consulting extension and the other seems like a non descript 50 something not really big profile guy who transferred to the stable late in his career.

And as a smaller stable, the only active dude eligible for a kabu is Kirishima and there's no way he's retiring.

The only guy at the stable that could have taken over was Kakuryu, but he decided to start his own thing rather than take it. It might not even have been an option since Kak was only there because his mentor stable master died and needed a spot so it's not like he was looking at continuing a legacy and Minpchinoku wasn't handing it to one of his boys.