Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the new update they added to Quake loads faster on my switch than on the PS5... that's a nother fail for Sony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Nintendo Hinge

You can attach joycon to any side, even in TATE mode. In TATE mode, it folds in half outwards on a hinge, therefore you can play split screen games across from your friend. In TATE mode it is suitable for playing DS or 3DS games.

Also like Hinge if you are a man you have to receive an invite

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

man nurse posted:

Time for all the funniest posters to workshop their Switch 2 names Silksong release jokes!!

milk dong release.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Its been so long since I played hollow knight...Hornet uses a needle and thread, right? Wonder if she'll use it as a grappling hook like Samus

Yeah you can see her grapple in the trailers. Looks like more of a hookshot-style zip than a grapple beam-style swing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cheesus posted:

Playing with my 8 year old is incredibly frustrating. It's way too distracting to me to focus on doing anything, let alone having any amount of fun.
Playing games with your kids is kind of like baking with your kids. You can't go in with the mindset of trying to make any actual progress on something difficult. Rather your role in it is to provide a semi-guided experience so that your kids can have fun and develop their skills. Might be worth playing solo Wonder after dark to actually 100% the courses.

Mario Wonder co-op is at least a bit friendlier than the original NSMB Wii. But here's what I've figured:

The person with the crown above their head controls the camera/scrolling. If that's you, you can run through the level unimpeded but other players will fall off the screen pretty quickly and die. If that's not you, then one of your kids is controlling the scrolling and so you're "locked" into that part of the screen until they're ready to move. To be honest, you can play here either way. If your kid is in control though, you probably want to focus on being a bodyguard and get rid of all the baddies while your kid comfortably does whatever. Also you can't manually switch who has the crown, but it does transfer on death.

If one of the players dies they first turn into a ghost and you have five seconds to hit their ghost bubble and revive them, otherwise they take a life from the life pool. It helps if your kid actively tries to meet up with you, and does not help if they keep spamming the B button to float away.

The Yoshis and Nabbit don't take contact damage, so if that's a problem for your kids then they might want to play as a Yoshi or Nabbit.

It's probably worth paying attention to which badges are equipped. I'm still pretty early so the only "useful" one I got is the badge that earns coins from killing enemies, which is helpful to get 1ups since my kids keep blowing through lives.

Cheesus posted:

I'm assume that since the game allows up to four players, others who grew up playing SMB co op have no problem, but my old rear end did not grow up with it.
NSMB Wii was the first co-op SMB game and that only came out *checks notes* 14 years ago ....

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario Galaxy also has co-op though not with both characters in control of a Mario

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the new update they added to Quake loads faster on my switch than on the PS5... that's a nother fail for Sony

between this and portal 1 and 2 on switch, it's time for industry analysts to ask: what is sony THINKING

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Will f-zero 99 be on switch 2? It's a lot of fun and its sad it only came out at switch's twilight..

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

man nurse posted:

Time for all the funniest posters to workshop their Switch 2 names Silksong release jokes!!

Not feeling it today, sorry. Someone else can pick up the slack.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

milk dong release.

Thank you.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Mario Galaxy also has co-op though not with both characters in control of a Mario

Odyssey lets one player be Mario and the other be the hat. My kid likes me to be Mario because he doesn't quite have the platforming skills for harder parts yet, but Mario can't recall the hat on demand anymore so it also means my hat is constantly off in some corner bumping into an NPC when I desperately try to throw it to save myself from a pit. It is like those fludd-less sunshine levels at all times.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Playing games with your kids is kind of like baking with your kids. You can't go in with the mindset of trying to make any actual progress on something difficult. Rather your role in it is to provide a semi-guided experience so that your kids can have fun and develop their skills. Might be worth playing solo Wonder after dark to actually 100% the courses.
Oh I'm already playing solo after dark, and I'm not expecting to make "progress" in the (his) game playing with him.

It's more that, he's much better at SMB-based games, so he's flying off at twice my speed and I'm struggling to stay with him on the screen. One bad move and I'm either constantly dying or flying my ghost to catch up with him with no way to get on par and it quickly becomes aggravating to me instead of any degree of fun or enjoyment of the experience.

I also think with him and his character doing stuff, there's too much going on the screen, distracting my ape brain from focusing. I have a similar reaction trying to play a game like LEGO Brawls where his character's movement, his team's movement, my team's movement all "looks the same" and is just too much overload for me to focus on my character or what I'm even supposed to be doing. Less "getting good at it" and more "I don't even actually know what is going on here, what I'm supposed to be doing?"

That said, we have played Good Job! and I think that kind of co-op presentation does a much better delineation of the character's environments and letting me focus. Same screen when you're really close, but breaks into two when you're in different areas.

To be honest, he's the one asking me to play with him; I'm completely content to sit back and watch him go at it while I play my game later. If he really wants to play with me, I'm fine redirecting to another game like Kart. I was just wondering if I'm missing something fundamental about these particular games.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Agrias120 posted:

Daemon X Machina really didn’t stick the landing. The story is a dumpster fire, and the choice to focus more on mech vs mech battles instead of fighting giant monsters/giant mechs kind of sucks. I was really impressed with it at first, but after finishing up the campaign I get why it was just a forgotten game at this point.

Shame. I remember loving the demo and being excited about the game then completely forgot about it. I also recall the Direct that announced it seemed like such a weird video for Nintendo.... Direct starts and it just starts playing rock and showing giant robot battles... Not what I expected when I went to see the Nintendo News!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

man nurse posted:

Go on

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
We have one spot open for a Nintendo Family Xpac sub:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983185&pagenumber=10#post537180087

Come spend $10 to play Majora's Mask on your switch.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Electromax posted:

Personally didn't like it much. Combat feels like a mashup of Bayo and W101 but in an overcomplicated way that is less fun than either of those individually, plus these long police investigation bits in between combat where you follow trails of red goo and do lightweight batman detective mode stuff are not compelling or very fun to play. Looks really good for a switch game and cool world/character design, but I was pretty disappointed in the actual game. I have done all-platinum runs in Bayo and DMC and whatever, but AC more felt like I was fighting the controls and camera rather than getting into a flow.

Hollow Knight was too long and too big, so I hope for Silksong they stop about 60% of the way through

objectively incorrect on both counts

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Switch 2 will be called Nintendo Swap because each console can be traded to others for a Streetpass-like game that will see support for nearly a year.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Stux posted:

they can take as long as they need sa far as im concerned

Same. I can wait, better they take the time they need to make it great and in their vision.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cheesus posted:

To be honest, he's the one asking me to play with him; I'm completely content to sit back and watch him go at it while I play my game later.
Oh, do what my son does and blow through all your lies until he gets a Game Over. The he'll be forced to engage you as a player or just play alone.

He can also try playing as Yoshi and you can jump on his back and take a ride.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

The Nintendo Hinge

You can attach joycon to any side, even in TATE mode. In TATE mode, it folds in half outwards on a hinge, therefore you can play split screen games across from your friend. In TATE mode it is suitable for playing DS or 3DS games.

It’s about time Nintendo called back the VS System Red Tent

The Switch was a wild success so according to the Nintendo calendar it’s time to follow it up with a weird unmarketable gently caress-up let’s loving go

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

It’s about time Nintendo called back the VS System Red Tent

The Switch was a wild success so according to the Nintendo calendar it’s time to follow it up with a weird unmarketable gently caress-up let’s loving go

I'm sure someone in the bowels of Nintendo R&D is working on a VR headset called the Virtual Boy 2.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Vakal posted:

I'm sure someone in the bowels of Nintendo R&D is working on a VR headset called the Virtual Boy 2.

It's just "The Virtual Boy"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Oh, do what my son does and blow through all your lies until he gets a Game Over. The he'll be forced to engage you as a player or just play alone.

He can also try playing as Yoshi and you can jump on his back and take a ride.

You forgot just one letter and it instantly made the post quite dark.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lol at everybody assuming goon dad was frustrated with his 8 year old's skills and not the exact opposite

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Stux posted:

objectively incorrect on both counts

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Waltzing Along posted:

We have one spot open for a Nintendo Family Xpac sub:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983185&pagenumber=10#post537180087

Come spend $10 to play Majora's Mask on your switch.

Remind me a few weeks before next year to live without my membership for a bit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hollow Knight is one of the greatest indie games ever made. haters? step out

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's too long and too much traversal and the map is a bit annoying. I can say it, I got the true ending and 105 or 107%, whatever the percentage is for everything except the god home area

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just finished Hades at the 28th time of asking, feeling good. Shield owns. Spear good too. Not a big fan of the bow or gun. I spent literally the last 500 coins I earned in the temple of Styx on a Hermes boon which turned out to be Legendary and gave my cast automatic recall, which given I'd buffed the hell out of it was absolutely perfect. I went in to Hades with 3 lives and killed him with 10hp remaining. Phew

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 18, 2024

Vakal
May 11, 2008

MaxDuo posted:

It's just "The Virtual Boy"

Virtual Boy VR Helmet + dual Power Gloves with haptic sensors on all fingers, plus a working version of the Sega Activator for full body mapping.

Common Nintendo, fix the sins of the 90's!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

+ Senran Kagura

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

+ Senran Kagura

Look, we just got rid of Azure Horizon again, we don't need Dark Tzitzimitl coming back.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
The main goal of playing Mario with any kid is to find creative ways to constantly murder them in a way that gets the funniest reaction, and that is why Wonder is the worst Mario game of modern times while 3D World is the best.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

DavidCameronsPig posted:

The main goal of playing Mario with any kid is to find creative ways to constantly murder them

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Just finished Hades at the 28th time of asking, feeling good. Shield owns. Spear good too. Not a big fan of the bow or gun. I spent literally the last 500 coins I earned in the temple of Styx on a Hermes boon which turned out to be Legendary and gave my cast automatic recall, which given I'd buffed the hell out of it was absolutely perfect. I went in to Hades with 3 lives and killed him with 10hp remaining. Phew

Now do it again

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The ability to port your saves from steam to the switch for Hades is greatly appreciated.
I had a save with 300+ runs on it before picking up a switch.
Fully unlocked everything with the comfort of playing in bed ftw.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Now do it again. And again. You're not finished yet. You'll know when you're finished, And even then you won't be finished.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

DavidCameronsPig posted:

The main goal of playing Mario with any kid is to find creative ways to constantly murder them in a way that gets the funniest reaction, and that is why Wonder is the worst Mario game of modern times while 3D World is the best.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/Stealth40k/status/1748099056620958088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No third party support