Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

For a newborn like once a week? They grow super fast.

For my 2 1/2 year old like once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
when it was diaper time, I think my wife would default to throwing his onesie in the laundry pile almost every drat change and grabbing another off the clean pile. So yah, we did do a shitload of laundry.

It's a function of how OCD are you and how many outfits did you buy

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

CarForumPoster posted:

Goon parents: how often do you wash clothes for a newborn? My friend apparently ends up washing clothes for his two kids under 3 multiple times per week.

How many clothing items do you own per kid? We buy 3-6 packs of all clothes to avoid doing too many washer runs, but our 1 year old goes through 2 or 3 outfits a day because daycare lets her go ham on a bowl of yogurt…

Newborns are easier in that regard, they don’t make a big mess unless they spit up a lot

Edit: there is a parenting thread, people are nice, join us

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Context: I live in a condo and have never had to use my homeowner’s insurance.

Water line for the building fire sprinkler system broke in the ceiling of my upstairs neighbor’s unit. Water from that came through the walls and their floor into my unit. Repairs are supposed to start tomorrow. The HOA manager and a board member have told me that the HOA will pay for replacing my floor, walls, ceiling etc but that for personal property and a hotel (which I will need while they are working on the place) I will need to use my own insurance.

Does that sound right? I didn’t do anything to cause this so why should I file a claim with my insurer, risk a rate increase and pay a deductible?

I guess what I want to know is how I should handle this for minimal financial impact for myself. Thanks for your help in these trying times.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Goon parents: how often do you wash clothes for a newborn? My friend apparently ends up washing clothes for his two kids under 3 multiple times per week.

Multiple times a week because she was basically constantly puking until 10 months

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Questions answered:
How many kids: 1
How OCD are we: Me, not very, my wife, fairly
How many clothes: A lot. My friends are all done having kids and my mom cant wait to buy a ton and I'm sure we'll buy some more.
Parenting thread: Okay Ill check it out.

My kid is COMING SOON, so no kid yet but thats why I'm asking. I have ADHD and hate laundry/would leave wets in for a week so its always been my wifes job while I do other chores but that aint gonna work for multiple loads per week. Thinking about an all-in-one washer and figure now is the time to do it so I can do good laundry without leaving in loads of wets cause I wandered off to do some other poo poo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
For the newborn specifically? Impossible to know. But we were definitely doing about a load every other day for all the various clothes+linens+rags we were going through. Spitting up, blow outs, the "so you released me from my diaper prison" pee, our own laundry, baby bed linens (see beginning of sentence), etc. We used cloth diaper liners as burp clothes and rags - they're amazing. Pro tip. We still use them to this day but we've almost thrown them all away due to them wearing out. We used disposable diapers because I don't love the environment that much.

It was basically easier to just always run a load any time we got anywhere near a half load rather than trying to optimize. I'm sure if we had to pay or go somewhere it would have been a different story, but letting a load run while you take a nap is great.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
This is super helpful and confirms what I've heard from friends.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Kids are messy, even the older kid is probably producing what may seem like a surprising amount of laundry for their size. The older child probably isn't 100% perfectly potty trained, the young child is probably puking all over stuff - and that includes the parents' clothes! A pro thing I started doing was putting a thick rag on my shoulder that the newborn's head goes against, then when they spit up your shirt is less likely to get soiled - but even then it's not always going to work.

On top of that you can have washable bibs, clean-up rags, diapers... there are endless possibilities when it comes to children making a mess!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

A pro thing I started doing was putting a thick rag on my shoulder that the newborn's head goes against, then when they spit up your shirt is less likely to get soiled - but even then it's not always going to work.
Back before I had kids I read a thing about a dad who kept an old overcoat by rhe door that he would put on as he came in the door to protect his work clothes.

I thought this was excessive. Till I had kids.

BTW, the laundry doesn't let up. My teenagers still produce a shitload. Thankfully they mostly do their own.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

we have 3 and just had enough clothes to do it every week with our laundry cycle. I'm having trouble with your question because they only wore things once and were put in the laundry, but we just did laundry on our normal cycle. Maybe even every other week for our newborns.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CongoJack posted:

Context: I live in a condo and have never had to use my homeowner’s insurance.

Water line for the building fire sprinkler system broke in the ceiling of my upstairs neighbor’s unit. Water from that came through the walls and their floor into my unit. Repairs are supposed to start tomorrow. The HOA manager and a board member have told me that the HOA will pay for replacing my floor, walls, ceiling etc but that for personal property and a hotel (which I will need while they are working on the place) I will need to use my own insurance.

Does that sound right? I didn’t do anything to cause this so why should I file a claim with my insurer, risk a rate increase and pay a deductible?

I guess what I want to know is how I should handle this for minimal financial impact for myself. Thanks for your help in these trying times.

Your HO--6 is primary for your Coverage D: Additional Living Expense as well as coverage C: Personal Property. Subject to your deductible.

Your insurer may want a recorded statement from you, chiefly because they may go after the responsible party via subrogation - if there is one. It depends on why & how the sprinkler system opened up.

If there is subro, and your insurer collects, they'll refund you your deductible (if they get 100%, you get 100% of your deductible. If they get less, so do you). They should also mark the claim as non-chargeable.

TL;DR: yes you need to file a claim, if you expect expenses for temporary housing you can't absorb, and a contents claim that exceeds your deductible enough to make claiming it worthwhile.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

This is super helpful and confirms what I've heard from friends.

Powdered oxyclean (not the spray don't waste your time) will get poop out. Hot water, mix it in a glass bowl and dump it into the regular load.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

This varies wildly, if you get those muslin/gauze towels and just coat your baby in them you can go the whole day without needing to change their clothes

Other parents just treat the onsie as an ablative outer coating that must be replaced every 4-6 hours

We bought a 20-pack of the muslin towels and only really had to change clothes in the morning and at night. We would do a load of muslin spit-up towels every other day practically. get ready to do more laundry than you've ever done in your life

Looks like you already found the thread but there's three relevant parenting threads

for anyone else :pcgaming:
pregnancy: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390558 (medium active)
parenting: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508127 (very active)
gaming with your kids: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031577 (pretty new thread)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

Other parents just treat the onsie as an ablative outer coating that must be replaced every 4-6 hours

Literally lol’d at the idea of a white hot toddler streaking through the atmosphere their onesie surface heating like the front of an SR71.

I’m likely this parent if I was to guess.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

The only downside I have found to using one of those password/passkey-generating algorithms (including Chrome & Firefox) is when logging in to streaming services from one device to another, or when we travel with a Roku. It is an enormous pain in the balls to try & key in the proper string/PW, especially using the remote to navigate the character field

Legit, I use an Apple TV, and while the box is more expensive , It runs super quick, syncs with my stuff well, and I can use my phone as a remote or input, so for passwords I click the field, and just paste the password from 1Password on my phone, done.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We do a load of laundry nightly. While that might seem excessive, between normal household stuff (hand towels, bath towels, pillowcases, sheets, etc) that needs washing and the trail of mess left by a 3.5yo there's always something that can be thrown in to get the previous day's clothes and pajamas up to "medium-small load" size. That is kind of ideal because that size load dries quickly and completely on medium-low heat, and our front loading high efficiency washer adjusts the water automatically to the load size so we aren't wasting tons of water.

We put away laundry... maybe once a fortnight or so lol.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We have a 3 yo and 1.5yo and I’d say we do laundry like every 5ish days? They’re at a point where it’s usually one outfit a day and their PJs make it like 3-5 days.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

This is hilarious.

The Dave posted:

We have a 3 yo and 1.5yo and I’d say we do laundry like every 5ish days? They’re at a point where it’s usually one outfit a day and their PJs make it like 3-5 days.

How many loads though? We do laundry roughly weekly, but it's like 5-6 full loads. Our washer is neither cavernous nor tiny, just an average US washer - 5cu ft? Our kids are 7 and 4 now so their laundry is physically larger than baby laundry, but also neither of them use PJs anymore, opting instead to go to bed in their tomorrow clothes. (We have them change head to toe into the next days clothes.) 3-5 days on PJs is spoken like someone whose kid does not sweat profusely while they sleep. :stare: The 4 year old can literally soak a pillowcase. It's so gross. If it doesn't change when he gets older it's not going to work for him to sleep in tomorrow clothes.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I do a load for the 9 month old daily (clothes, bibs, rags) and a lode each for me/my wife/3 year old/sheets weekly

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Y’all’s washing machine gets a break?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think ~5 loads is probably a good baseline. Guess we’re lucky our kids don’t sweat that much but we definitely are more lax than we should be with PJs and baths.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We did laundry every day with babies because I didn’t want anything with fluids stewing and getting more rank. Our kids are older now but we still do a full load probably every other day between clothes, pajamas, and stuff like PE gear.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
While we are on the subject, dryer question: what’s the best set for cleaning out a vent that’s 15 feet long? We have an upstairs laundry room (yay! especially when a baby blowout or throw up happens, the crib sheets and pjs in the washer in the next minute) but it it’s in the middle of the floor so it’s a long way out of the house. It does a 180 degree turn to go out under the floor, so I’m trying to find a good drill compatible vent set that will be long enough to knock most of it out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nybble posted:

While we are on the subject, dryer question: what’s the best set for cleaning out a vent that’s 15 feet long? We have an upstairs laundry room (yay! especially when a baby blowout or throw up happens, the crib sheets and pjs in the washer in the next minute) but it it’s in the middle of the floor so it’s a long way out of the house. It does a 180 degree turn to go out under the floor, so I’m trying to find a good drill compatible vent set that will be long enough to knock most of it out.

Any of the well rated nonsense brand name ones on amazon are going to be fine. They're all coming out of the same factory, and they're cheap. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Holikme-Cleaning-Remover-Fireplace-Synthetic/dp/B07SQYX2FH/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dryer+vent+cleaner+20ft&sr=8-2

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Y’all’s washing machine gets a break?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have had all the stuff to "fix" the sink for a week now and have realized I'm afraid to do plumbing. I guess all those times people told me not to really sank in.

So, thread, reassure me that I can totally do this basic plumbing job and that nothing is going to go wrong so I can get it over with

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 18, 2024

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Before we do that:

1/ Do you know where the shutoff for the sink is?
2/ Do you know where the shutoff for the house is?

This will protect you from the worst outcomes.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Do you have a replacement for the shut off valve for the sink, which is guaranteed to start leaking once you use it?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Do you have a replacement for the shut off valve for the sink, which is guaranteed to start leaking once you use it?

I do not, but I do know where the house shutoff is and was planning on shutting it off before doing anything. I actually have several house shutoffs thanks to the filtration system, which is certainly much better than the "zero functioning house shutoffs" I had when I bought the house.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Duckman2008 posted:

A physical book is def the best password manager, assuming you use unique passwords and make them challenging. That said, the downside is obviously super inconvenient.

For digital, I can’t recommend 1Password enough. You make one very difficult password and then it makes everything else just randomized, and you just copy/paste from the app. Unlike Last Pass, they have yet to be hacked as well (yes you never know).

On this topic, reminder that for iPhone at least, you can designate who can control your phone and info if you pass away.

Having worked phones for 14+ years, I’ve seen a LOT of people struggle recovering info when someone passes and no one say, knows the lock code, knows the password, etc. it’s morbid, but having digital stuff in order for when you pass is honestly something I do recommend (I know you’re not saying otherwise, but just wanted to note).

This is from a couple days ago, but I just wanted to mention that one of the understated benefits of a password manager that is integrated with your browser or phone's operating system is that it will freak out and throw a warning if you try to tell it to enter your login/password into a domain/website other than the login portal for which the password was created. It is an additional, and quite effective, line of defense against falling victim to a malicious website impersonating the website you thought that you were logging into.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How do you guys "shutdown" your house if you are going to be away for more than say a week? My buddy gave me poo poo for being paranoid

Me:
(Assuming it's this time of year where it's 0 or below 0 temperature wise

-Turn off water main
-Turn off hot water tank, as well as water tank gas valve
-Crack a faucet somewhere just so no weird pressure poo poo with the water tank cooling off.
-Set furnace to like 50f (which I can monitor and control now remotely per room with some home automation stuffs)

The point of argument is running the furnace. I have ALWAYS preventedy my home from getting below like 45f, doesnt all kinds of bad poo poo happen if the interior of a home goes below freezing for days on end? I'm thinking condensation, refrigerators getting pissed, any random container of liquid freezing and possibly splitting open, etc.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

cr0y posted:

How do you guys "shutdown" your house if you are going to be away for more than say a week? My buddy gave me poo poo for being paranoid

Me:
(Assuming it's this time of year where it's 0 or below 0 temperature wise

-Turn off water main
-Turn off hot water tank, as well as water tank gas valve
-Crack a faucet somewhere just so no weird pressure poo poo with the water tank cooling off.
-Set furnace to like 50f (which I can monitor and control now remotely per room with some home automation stuffs)

The point of argument is running the furnace. I have ALWAYS preventedy my home from getting below like 45f, doesnt all kinds of bad poo poo happen if the interior of a home goes below freezing for days on end? I'm thinking condensation, refrigerators getting pissed, any random container of liquid freezing and possibly splitting open, etc.

Right, you don't want your house freezing for a ton of reasons. We keep it at 50 as well, because the thermostat is in a central location. People argue that your house isn't gonna get *that* cold, but ehhh I've seen flooded basements.

I don't do all the water shutoff stuff tho! Now you're making me paranoid.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
The recommendation in Denmark is 65 F minimum

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
a friend of mine used to winterize unoccupied houses for a management company, what they would do is shut off the water main, turn the taps on, and then pump antifreeze into the pipes by hooking up to the hose faucet.

this was also for places where the power and gas would just be shut off entirely for some period, so that is definitely overkill for normal situations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

As it happens I just got my insurance policy renewal documents yesterday and I noticed that they basically disclaim all plumbing/HVAC related coverage for damage due to freezing or leaks if the house is unoccupied for four days and you don't either shut off the water and drain the system or "maintain heat in the dwelling".

I think that 50°F is a bit low for the furnace though, I would aim for somewhere between 55-60° just so that a cold poorly insulated spot in the wall or crawlspace doesn't get to freezing temperature.

Also our insurance only went up 100 bucks a year despite an automatic adjustment for replacement costs going up. Not bad at all.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 18, 2024

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I do mostly the same. Only difference being I just set my water heater to the vacation/away setting which I think just keeps it hot enough to avoid legionarres disease and the like.

Having remote cameras and thermometer access let's me keep an eye on things too while I'm away.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Struensee posted:

The recommendation in Denmark is 65 F minimum

Lol I keep my thermostat in Minnesota at 63° F while I'm living in the house.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Y'all weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The secret is to live in California where it stays at 69-70 inside all winter long, no heat required.